XMan 31-Oct-16
Teeton 31-Oct-16
drycreek 31-Oct-16
WV Mountaineer 31-Oct-16
drycreek 31-Oct-16
Trial153 01-Nov-16
Owl 01-Nov-16
30-Oct-16
For those of you who wanted to hear the outcome of my issue with the outfitter that didn't have any guides for us.

He finally called me on Friday. He was very apologetic and explained his side of what happened. He had organized a guide for us but the guy bailed on him at the last second and there wasn't anyone else he could get on the short notice. He said that as far as he's concerned we owe him zero dollars. Additionally he said we would be able to book again with a big discount in the future and on top of that we could have one of us hunt free or divide up the savings of the value of one guys hunt between us. So as far as him doing the right thing, I'd say this was as good as he could do. Personally, I didn't like the area and there are too few elk seasons in my life to risk this happening again so I'll pass on the future hunts.

Here's the old post: Just got back from my Elk hunt. I had booked with an outfitter for a guided hunt in central Montana. My brother and my friend also booked. Normally the hunt is $4,000 each. As we get to the trailhead (on Sunday) I'm informed that a guide "might" come in on Tuesday. No guide ever showed up, we were just in camp with the cook. I ended up guiding my brother and friend in the whole week in an area we were completely unfamiliar with, we were given a scribbled hand drawn map and were told try here and here. On Thursday even the cook left camp and no one came to pick us up until Saturday. Luckily I brought my spike camp gear and we hunted an area we found 4 miles away that had a decent herd. My question is what do you think we should pay for this hunt? We had, a pack in with horses, a base camp with tents, a cook (for 4 days) and if we got an elk down the outfitter would pack it out.

What we didn't have was a guide, no knowledge of the area, also very few elk in The area of the camp.

30-Oct-16
He seemed honest about it all and you owe him nothing.

Glad it played out well for you in the end.

Good luck, Robb

31-Oct-16
Doesn't sound like you owe him anything. If you feel you do, pay him what you feel is right. You're going to get responses across the board. Tough deal, sorry it went that way.

31-Oct-16
You wont forget it! so in a way it was memorable ..Good luck next time

MikeC

31-Oct-16
Glad it worked out for you as it did, I think that was very fair of the outfitter.

31-Oct-16
What XMan said !! ^^^^^^

31-Oct-16
The outfitter stepped up, but so did you. Kudos to you for telling the rest of the story and to him for doing all he could to remedy the situation.

31-Oct-16
Frommy nderstanding of this situation, I strongly believe that if he were truly trying to make good, he would offer you your travel and license money back as well. I guess he figures that you'll settle for a return hunt at a huge discount. Which is fine if that is what you decide. But, being you aren't going back, it seems someone besides the ones shafted should have to compensate for that.

I can hear it now. I'm being unreasonable. Well, I can camp in remote areas accessed only by horses, void of elk right here at home, for a lot cheaper than going to Montana for the same. It seems to me that he should have made you aware of the situation before you leaving to come hunt. Had it been a situation where he couldn't, he should have stepped up and guided you himself. But, to pack you back in the mountains to fend for yourself on a guided hunt he advertised, I sincerely believe it is his duty to make it right at his expense.

I'm not trying to be hard to get along with. I'm not trying to be beligerant. I'm neither of the two in reality. I'm simply insisting that when someone or, some company offers a service that must be purchased, that they provide what is their responsibility. That is how proper business is conducted. I garner my resonsibilities. I expect the same in return. God Bless

31-Oct-16
Having been on a hunt or two where no game was seen, I can't fully agree with you WV. I understand where you're coming from, but the hunter has some degree of research to do on his own. I did not on either of these hunts, but one of them was fun and no regrets. I was dealing with a reputable outfitter in an area he had no experience in. On the other, I was dealing with a crook and had I done my due diligence, I would never have gone. Sometimes education can be costly and painful. But it is educational !

01-Nov-16
The outfitters response seems reasonable enough for me.

01-Nov-16
The outfitter's disposition is reasonable. But I agree that returning would be a mistake on your behalf. Call it even and part ways.

• Sitka Gear