Sage Buffalo 04-Nov-16
Bob H in NH 04-Nov-16
Jaquomo 04-Nov-16
ElkNut1 04-Nov-16
hardcore247 04-Nov-16
Scar Finga 04-Nov-16
willliamtell 04-Nov-16
03-Nov-16
So I am looking at getting a new chest freezer. I currently have a couple uprights, but I am just not happy with them. We get an elk every 4-5 years or so, and usually 1-2 deer a year.

What size do you have/ recommend?

Thanks,

Scar.

03-Nov-16
Get 2 smaller chest freezers. Lets you rotate your old vs fresh easier.

03-Nov-16
Get 2 smaller ones, then when one dies, you don't loose everything like I recently did with the huge upright freezer. I got a small, 7 cubic ft and will get another if needed. Also, don't get one with electronic controls, they will fail, for sure.

03-Nov-16
Anybody put an alarm on their's in case it dies?

03-Nov-16
The smaller chest freezers are nice to carry in the back of the truck or on a trailer combined with generator power for bringing meat back or taking pre-cooked meals along on the hunt if truck camping. We have two uprights and one chest freezer......nice when you hunt elk/moose sized animals and like to also keep leg bones and all "red scraps" for the dog. Ends up taking quite a bit of space.

03-Nov-16
I'm definitely in the "two smaller" camps. That way you can turn one off. My setup is two 14s. Don't just count your game. There's always things you can put in it like bread, turkeys, and politicians.

03-Nov-16

TX Cazador's embedded Photo
150 pounds of ice and food for 10 days
TX Cazador's embedded Photo
150 pounds of ice and food for 10 days
Elk hunting in Colorado

04-Nov-16
A have had a 20 cu.ft freezer for years, and it keeps a couple pigs, deer, antelope, and the odd elk quite nicely. Have very many people experienced freezers giving up the ghost? I pull meat out of it every week or so, and feel that if mine did, I'd probably notice it before everything was ruined. Note: I've heard if you get self-defrosting, it doesn't work as well for keeping meat consistently cold (to kill parasites and ensure long shelf life). Chests are way better for keeping meat cold, and condensation and freezer burn out of the meat packages.

04-Nov-16
All I used to have were chest freezers. Never had a problem but the reality is they are a PAIN to use regularly if your spouse is under 5' 6" since they can't reach to the bottom. Your standup/chest freezer mix is ideal as the standup will keep things easily organized and accessible for not just you but spouses, etc.

A smaller chest freezer is all you need if that's your max year kill. Remember most 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 yo bulls average 200 pounds of boneless meat. We kill 6-10 deer, a bear and a moose or elk type animal almost every other year and fit them in 2 standups.

I would start with one small one and then add a second if needed. Good luck!

04-Nov-16
We have a stand up, which is way better for daily use, easier to get things, easier to keep things sorted and find things.

We have a chest freezer for "overflow". right now we have two mulies and two antelope in the stand up and the other is turned off. Standup is FULL. If we get a NH deer we will have to turn on the chest one and then re-balance meet between the two.

04-Nov-16
We have two upright non-self-defrost freezers. I can't imagine going back to a chest freezer and trying to keep things organized with all the different types of food, game and fish we keep and vacuum seal.

Got the second one for half price at Best Buy as a "floor model".

04-Nov-16
I've used a 21 cubic foot chest type freezer for over 25 years. It will hold 4 full elk in it & then some. If you are considering a single elk & a few deer then a 10 to 12 will suit you easily which will still hold other foods & meats as needed. I prefer a chest freezer hands down over a stand up. Uncovering one thing looking for something different is of little concern on a daily basis. You learn to put the more used things in an easy to get area & move the less used items to a spot where not in the way to sort through.

ElkNut1

04-Nov-16
Don't have an alarm on mine, but did buy a remote digital thermometer that allows you to see the current temp in the freezer. Put it by the walk door in my garage and make it a habit to look at the temps when I come and go. Thought about getting the one that links to my phone, but couldn't get myself to pony up the money.

04-Nov-16
Thanks guys!!

The uprights are for the daily stuff, and we usually get half a hog and half a beef. also misc. stuff and ice. I was thinking the 10cf was about right, but just wanted some confirmation. All the models I am looking at have alarms and it will go out in my shop that I am in daily, unless I am hunting:)

Thanks again for the feedback! God Bless and Good Luck!!!!

Scar.

04-Nov-16
I put a week's worth in the freezer portion of my house fridge/freezer, The weekly dive-and-dip into the chest freezer isn't too much of a hassle. To each their own.

• Sitka Gear