bonehead 21-Nov-16
IdyllwildArcher 21-Nov-16
midwest 21-Nov-16
PAOH 21-Nov-16
t-roy 21-Nov-16
TD 22-Nov-16
Brotsky 22-Nov-16
21-Nov-16
Curious if anybody has ever deep fried a deer hind end or quarter like you would a Thanksgiving turkey

21-Nov-16
I deep fried a cut of 'London Broil' once. 3 min/lb.

Turned out great~!

21-Nov-16
yes, it was great. it takes a LOT longer per pound than a turkey

21-Nov-16
Don't deep fry the entire thing. Cube it up into one inch chunks and deep fry, then sprinkle with garlic salt and enjoy. Add a little barbecue sauce or other dipping sauce if you wish. Don't overcook! Literally sizzle, sizzle and out of hot oil, less than a minute. Kids love it. Chislic is a SD specialty!

21-Nov-16
Agree Brotsky, you can't beat a good batch of chislic with garlic salt on it.

21-Nov-16
The Chislic sounds great. Are you guys marinating the meat first?

21-Nov-16
I can't stop picturing an entire deer carcass being lowered into a tub of hot oil.

21-Nov-16
Nick, you can marinate if you choose or just drop it in. I have done it both ways and it's equally good either way. Just depends of the flavor you want. Certainly not required.

21-Nov-16
Knife- I was gonna say "No, don't have a pot big enough for a deer!" ;-)

21-Nov-16
I can't recall deep frying anything that wasn't battered or rolled in panko (bread crumbs) first.

Had to look up "chislic". Basically cubed meat? Seems they call it the same if "kabob" on a stick and grilled? (In German it means "meat on a stick"?) A regional thing mostly in the South Dakota? All recipes in common said cooked to pink and warm in the center, med rare to rare.

Sounds interesting. We rarely have the deep fryer out but next time might try it.

21-Nov-16
TD, traditionally chislic in SD is lamb, cubed and placed on a "kabob" stick and deep fried. Most outdoorsman in the state have expanded that to include deer and antelope. I've also had rabbit, squirrel, and pheasant chislic. Personally antelope chislic is second to none in my opinion. I do not use the kabob stick. I just cube the meat and place in the deep fryer, again only for short time, do NOT overcook, can't stress that enough! Then sprinkle on a little garlic salt and enjoy! You can also use whatever favorite seasoning you choose but I'm partial to garlic salt.

21-Nov-16
Gonna try it this Thursday when the turkey fryer is up! Do you just put the cubes in oil, no seasoning? Gonna do it with venison and antelope...

21-Nov-16
Yes, just drop them in, season once completed. I'd cook for 45 seconds to a minute tops. Test a small batch first and adjust time accordingly. Season while draining on a paper towel. Serve with toothpicks, dipping sauce if you like, and many people here add toast or soda crackers. Cold beer is a must.

I've introduced this to a lot of my buddies in WI at deer camp there and it is now a staple!

21-Nov-16
Buck

We are waiting with bated breath how your deep fried deer hindquarter turns out. Wonder how the 'cooked until pink/warm in the center' guide for chislic will translate to an entire hind quarter?

21-Nov-16
cut tenderloin or backstrap into 3 inch long and 1/2 inch diameter strips,soak in buttermilk then flour and fry. serve with honey mustard or just a honey dip.you will do it more than once

21-Nov-16
Anyone figure out how to get your fryer hotter? These idiot-proof pieces of crap they sell don't get hot enough.

21-Nov-16
Ike...cast iron and an LP burner is the best way to go. If I'm deep frying indoors, I do it on the stove. A good thermometer is a must. The cast iron maintains heat the best.

21-Nov-16
If I can remember correctly I injected a 2lb chunk of backstrap with teriyaki marinade & added cajun shake to the outside then deep fried for 7min/lb

21-Nov-16
Brotsky,

This Chislic thing will probably be at the Iowa State Fair next year. They always have something new "on a stick" every year! They're running out of ideas. Deep fried butter "on a stick" etc.

Any certain cuts of meat seem to work any better than others?

22-Nov-16
I pretty much gave up with deep fried ice cream.......

22-Nov-16
T-Roy, I use roasts typically. Backstrap is the best obviously but there's much better uses for it in my opinion than chislic.

• Sitka Gear