Rick M 25-Nov-16
cnelk 25-Nov-16
Elkhuntr 25-Nov-16
idacurt 26-Nov-16
ELKMAN 26-Nov-16
dgildy 26-Nov-16
Mule Power 26-Nov-16
25-Nov-16
I have been planning to return in Sept 2017 to the area I hunted elk in 2014. This will be my second elk hunt (DIY) and would greatly appreciate thoughts and advice.

"My" area is high elevation (8500 - 10000 ft) and mostly timbered with many small openings. It has been hit hard by beetles and so there are lots of deadfalls, some areas impenetrable. But good cover, some pockets of aspens, and lots of small creeks/drainages. There were definitely elk in the area as I saw and heard some, and found quite a bit of sign.

My thought at that time was that the area could use a good fire. Well, this past summer a very large fire broke out and made it to within about 2-3 miles (downstream the major drainage) of the area I hunted, before it was stopped in October.

My question what can I expect when I go there next September? Will the elk be where I found them in 2014, or will they shift to or away from the burn area? Will the burn area be producing forage for them by that time? Should I shift my plan or look for a new area?

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave G

25-Nov-16
What state and what unit? If you are looking at Colorado near Westcliffe, the Hayden and Duckett fire areas, I'll P.M. you some info, I took a friend in there 3rd rifle season, and spoke to my neighbor who was in there 2nd rifle season.

25-Nov-16
Wyoming Unit 13. Just above where the Beaver Creek fire was stopped.

25-Nov-16
depends on the severity of the fire, and on the subsequent moisture. usually the second year is much better. 4th or 5th year post generally the peak for new forage in my experience, but the above factors are important.

25-Nov-16
Bullbuster called it in my opinion!

25-Nov-16
If there is regrowth hunt it. If not wait a year or two then hunt it.

25-Nov-16
I know where youre talking about, I camped near there last summer a week before the fire started. Been back in that country since the fire and the animals have already moved back in. Its not totally charred, lots of unburned country still.

Hunt it like you did and you'll do fine.

25-Nov-16
I am more familiar with areas that are logged than burned. years 3-5 after the event are the best in my experience.

26-Nov-16
The areas by me that burned took 3-4 years until they became Elk magnets.Depends on how bad your area burned.

26-Nov-16
Depends on how hot the fire burned. I suspect if it was all beetle kill it was probably a cooler faster burn, so you should se great re-gen that will absolutely receive attention from the local elk, but that is 100% dependent on moisture trends and how wet the ground was this fall when it froze up.

26-Nov-16
Thanks for the helpful advice. Sounds like it makes sense to carry on with my plans.

Dave

26-Nov-16
Yep carry on. While it's true things will improve after a couple years the elk don't over think burns like we do. They move right back in. If the burn went through white hot they may not have much reason to be right in it but they'll be thriving on the edges.

• Sitka Gear