ElkNut1 29-Nov-16
ELKMAN 29-Nov-16
willliamtell 30-Nov-16
Elkhuntr 30-Nov-16
Bob H in NH 30-Nov-16
thomas 30-Nov-16
5575 30-Nov-16
27-Nov-16
Hey Guys - Just looking for good feedback and thoughts. I am trying to put some intelligent thought around the 2017 season in Wyoming. I have never hunted elk in Wyoming. I have 7 points. I have never used a guide on elk. I typically hunt public land with one guy or solo. I am opening up my options. Find a good unit and hunt with a Friend? Hunt a good unit with a guide? I really not married to a number - 315 or better is just fine with me. Every elk I have killed was just as thrilling as the previous one. Last thought: I do not want to burn 7 points learning a unit. I would rather go guided or go in a unit that has limited hunters and numbers are high...just a thought.

Help me bowsite brethren.....i am open to all ideas.

27-Nov-16
Are you willing to pay the special tag price? That changes some things.

If you're willing to go guided and really want something in the 320 range, one of your options is to get a general tag and pay for access to private. Your options are limited with 7 points. You could go 39 or 40, but I'd rather have a general tag and private land access than either of those tags.

You could also go guided in 61 in the wilderness.

27-Nov-16
Go guided

27-Nov-16
Unit 7, special, Wagonhound Ranch.

If you got the $$$$$ to spare.

27-Nov-16
Yes, I am willing to pay special tag price.

27-Nov-16
Some units, like Unit 7 you could hunt archery and rifle if you would like. That should also be considered or are you only looking for a type 9 option? Good luck.

DJ

28-Nov-16
My wife and I are building points and plan to go to 333 outfitters in Buffalo WY to the TTT ranch. Heard lots of good things, including on this site.

28-Nov-16
I put in for 7 years to hopefully do a good guided hunt in unit 7 someday. I wanted one very good elk and was planning on Cross C or Wagonhound. Last year a friend put me in contact with a rancher that borders 7 but is in a general area. Situation looked very good but would be a "one time" deal. At the last minute before license deadline, I secured access, with a trespass fee that was very reasonable. I burned my points for a general tag and came home with a 9x8 bull that tapes out over 360. It was worth every minute of those 7 years of waiting and I don't regret burning the points one bit!

28-Nov-16
I'll bet not, griz...that's a heck of a bull! Got a pic?

28-Nov-16
Griz, PM Inbound. Thank you all for the replies.

28-Nov-16
I hunted wagonhound ranch in 2011 and it was worth every penny.

28-Nov-16
why u guys think u need to build so many points to kill a good bull in wy is crazy !

28-Nov-16
I'd have to agree with that Cityhunter. If a 315 is a realistic goal you could hunt every year instead of every 5 or 7.

Jeff what is your price range? I'd call Phil Rutt at Triple Three Outfitters a sponsor here and apply for a hunt on the Trip 3 Ranch in unit 33. A 315 is nothing there.

29-Nov-16
Midwest, No pictures for "bowsite". Rifle kill. I was just trying to emphasize that it is possible to kill a good bull on a general tag.

29-Nov-16
Yes, a 315 bull can be possible in about any WY unit but they can be few & far between in general units where the better units can have a higher number of them & bigger giving you better odds of opportunities at those caliber bulls. It does sound like you're leaning towards a guided hunt to up your odds here of success. Go with your heart & pocket book! (grin)

ElkNut1

29-Nov-16
All I can tell you is don't sucked down the 45 rabbit hole. My friend had that tag this year and was very disappointed...

30-Nov-16
I've got about the same Wyo points and have some unit ideas. Might even do a pre-hunt scouting trip through the area. PM me and let's chat.

30-Nov-16
I have 7 points too and need to use them. life happens, and is the reason I have 7. I am not a points accumulator but over the years as I was unable to hunt Wyo., I purchased a point. I am looking for a DIY type hunt. a trespass fee or drop camp would be considered.

a benefit to having points is if you take a buddy that has fewer or no points, you can apply together as I understand it. I may be wrong.

good luck to all.

30-Nov-16
In WY, I believe if you apply as a party, with points, they average the points across the party, so if you have 4 and the other guy has 0, you each get "2" due to the average.

30-Nov-16
Bob is right they average them if u apply as group but the nice thing is if you draw a tag as a group that has say 2 tags and your group is 4 they award everyone in that group a tag. other states you application is passed over in this case

30-Nov-16
I hunted with an outfitter who's bowhunters are 100% on 300"+ bulls "not a misprint". If you can hold off a 340-370 is very possible, I took a 364 and my partner took a 330. Private very large beautiful ranch, I think you could shoot a 300+ bull almost every morning and evening its that good. PM me if you want more info.

• Sitka Gear