Joey Ward 06-Feb-17
TD 06-Feb-17
loprofile 06-Feb-17
Fuzzy 06-Feb-17
HighLife 07-Feb-17
Nick Muche 09-Feb-17
Dooner 10-Feb-17
27-Nov-16
On a recent thread, that I can't find now, several people claimed that deep fried cubes of deer meat were crazy good.

Well, today I had a father, daughter over who have absolutely no exposure to hunting or deer. They wanted to help cut up the hindquarters of a big bodied mule deer buck, that had been hanging for the past ten days. Seemed like a great time to try out the claims of the few in the know of this regional delicacy.

First off, I have an old deep fryer that was built back when even kids knew it was a bad idea to bob for french fries. So no idiot proof temperature overrides. The oil was almost smoking when I dropped in about a dozen fresh cut cubes of choice venison. I counted 1 daisy, 2 daisy, up to fifty, pulled them and dumped onto paper toweled plate. A generous shaking of garlic salt and the forks starting stabbing!

It wasn't just good. It was " holy smokes, that is awesome stuff!!!"

Another batch.

Another batch.

And then another batch.

If there had been a few more people I could have put away the wrapping paper. I have ate a lot of game in my life and my regret now is that I didn't know about this fifty years ago!

So to those buck busting, deep fry fans that brought this to my attention. Thank you, thank you and what took you so long!!

28-Nov-16
Sounds great. Just today I was watching a video of some good ole' boys breading deer chunks in buttermilk and flour with some Old Bay in it, then deep frying it just as you described. It looked good, too. Looks like I need to dig my old fry daddy out of my closet. it probably still has the fat in it that it had ten years ago when I put it away. I might need to change that out.

28-Nov-16

nijimasu's Link
here- I found the video again if you're interested. After your tasty introduction to venison, do you think your new recruits will be toting bows in the woods next fall?

28-Nov-16

midwest's Link
Skip the breading...Ambush made Chislic!

Here's the original thread...

28-Nov-16
I've been deep frying venison for years. I use a dry fish batter deep fried in peanut oil.

28-Nov-16
Welcome to a wonderful new world Ambush! Ha!

It is great for kids who might otherwise turn their nose up at "eating a deer". I've never met a kid who didn't like chislic!

28-Nov-16
Midwest, yes that's the thread and Chislic it is! I was trying to remember what it was called so the 13 year girl could tell her friends at school.

And Brotsky is right. the first bite was a bit tentative, but any hands near the plate were in real danger of stab wounds after that. And I might as well try the battered ones now to.

19-Jan-17
I cut finger steaks and roll them in Snoqualmie Falls pancake mix and then fry in bacon grease till it's got a nice crust on both sides.

It's like meat candy. Not real healthy but the pancake mix/bacon grease combo is sweet and delicious

19-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Tried it for the first time the other night. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't tried it. It is awesome!

19-Jan-17
Bad news for the Over 50 & Over 50 club!

19-Jan-17
Great way to cook duck also. Just make sure to NOT overcook it and it is outstanding!

19-Jan-17
yep, I have done it this way for over 30 years, yum!

19-Jan-17
Guess we southerners just take this for granted. Been eating deer this way for all of my 37 years.

19-Jan-17
My kids used to call them deer nuggets. Good stuff !

19-Jan-17
Never tried it. That's gonna change!

19-Jan-17
"the whole house smelled like deep fat frier"

Just another thing we southerners take for granted.

If your house doesn't, you're automatically suspect.

:-)

19-Jan-17
I made it for the first time a couple is weeks ago. Very good. Luckily my wife was gone RE deep fryer smell.

19-Jan-17
Do a injector marinade to about a 1.5 Lb backstrap, then deep fry the whole thing till the outside looks done(about 8 minutes or so). Slice and enjoy

19-Jan-17
One of our favorites!

19-Jan-17
I made that every week in my 20's & 30's for Monday night football, would have a bunch of buddies over. I literally could never make enough. Outstanding with beer and football.

19-Jan-17
So if you are throwing the meat in for 45 seconds or so, what temp is your oil at? I know when I do fish, I like the hotter the better, but as long as it takes for me to put 5 pieces in, I am already taking the first one out. If I remember I'm up around 400 degrees.

19-Jan-17
You boys better start calling it Chislic!! :)

Apauls, run your oil at 400, that's perfect. Hotter the better. You can experiment a little with timing, 45 might be long or might not be long enough, depends on the size of your chunks.

Pat, any cut works well as long as it doesn't have a lot of sinew/fat and the silver skin is trimmed off. I typically use roasts when I make chislic. I like to save the straps and loins for steaks, etc although they would also make excellent chislic.

You can marinade before hand if you wish but certainly not necessary. Garlic salt or Lawry's is the best seasoning I've found. Ranch or barbecue for dipping and good to have soda crackers on the side.

As far as game animals, antelope make the best chislic in my book by a long shot.

19-Jan-17
Loins were the best, but the bad thing about using the loins is you don't have any left to cut into steaks when you're done! Tony Chachere's is darn good on them too, dipped in BBQ sauce. Scoot X2! Definitely need to do it outside.

19-Jan-17
Looks like I need to get a Fry Daddy and try this out.

19-Jan-17

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
I had an entire backstrap thawed out on Friday and went from deer nuggets, to stew, to venison pot pie with the remaining stew. I also saved two steaks from the backstrap and marinated it in red wine/dales and salt/pepper overnight and cooked them over a bed of onions on Monday evening. (They were amazing)

I think we might not have killed enough deer this past year. :)

19-Jan-17
A Fry Daddy?

Bet you have one of those Joe Frasier grills too. :-)

All you need is a 12" cast iron pan. Just wipe it out when you're done.

19-Jan-17
How do I save a thread to my favorites?

19-Jan-17
yep really good with any wild game. I lightly dut mine with flour and salt/pepper Heavy on the pepper

I have had a small fry daddy on the patio table with disposable skewers letting the guest fry their own. Great with a dipping sauce also Im getting fatter thinking about it:)

19-Jan-17
Cast iron dutch oven makes a great fryer works for deer nuggets,turkey nuggets,froglegs,and of course fish.We've enjoyed this well over 50 years.Cube it bread it and fry it yum.Something to try is smear it in plain old yellow mustard ,roll it in seasoned flour and chunk it in.You will love it and not taste the mustard.Lewis

19-Jan-17
Joey, my grandmother had a big cast iron pot with lid. Some vivid memories of her doing sunday chicken in it ( my job, I had to procure the free range rooster every week....) When done she would just put the lid on it to cool and back in her pantry with a solid glob of whatever kind of grease it was. Repeat most sundays..... She must have changed it out time to time...... right?

19-Jan-17
TD, she did.

Saturday before Easter and then again Saturday before Thanksgiving.

19-Jan-17
OK fellas, I deep fried some backstraps in pieces as per above today and wow OMGosh was it delicious! You can't get juicier deer meat any other way that I know of. WOW. My wife who was super skeptical / anti-deep fry just played into and we with the help of my 2 year old daughter pounded back like 3 lbs of deer meat. Oh ya, the cable guy was here hooking up cable that I haven't had for like 5 years and he crushed a good helping as well.

We just sprinkled garlic powder and Hy's seasoning salt on it right as it came out of the oil.

20-Jan-17
Ok, what oil do most of you guys use to do this. That choice has to make a difference in the taste.

my best, Paul

20-Jan-17
Peanut oil is great and won't burn as quickly but canola or any vegetable oil will suffice Good luck Lewis

20-Jan-17
I used canola oil last night that I had already filtered about 4 times and now was in my fridge for about 5 months. Thankfully it was my last use, because after having red meat in it the oil turned red. With my wife as a biochemist she's always scared of all the microscopic things we can't see - doubt I could slip reusing red oil past her... lol

How many times do you guys generally re-use oil?

20-Jan-17
Chicken fried venison/elk with white gravy and roasted sweet potatoes is a personal favorite.

25-Jan-17
TD, Joey, Grandma, did just like I do, keep the fry greast in the iron pot until the dog starts looking peaked, and let him lick the pot to pearten him up. Wipe it out with a rag, Then start over with fresh hog lard

25-Jan-17
Why ruin some of the best meat God has given us by using nasty old oil to fry it in. All you need is some onion and a little garlic above aa do not overcook it!

25-Jan-17
Thanks for the info, i'll have to try that. As far as venison, we eat a lot of it. We had a couple for Sun dinner once, my wife asked if they would mind eating venison. (they were non hunters)..they said they'd be willing to try it. A couple bites into the meal the woman commented to her husband... "this is good, hun you need to start hunting"...I just smiled, and said.. "yes you should"

05-Feb-17
Tried both recipes in Nijimasu's link....The deep fried recipe using peanut oil was good (kids liked it) ...The bacon wrapped, marinated venison with cream cheese and jalapenos was amazing!

Another recipe I did and do frequently: cut venison in one inch chunks, use favorite dry rub, mix with some of your favorite hot sauce, wrap in bacon and soak with lots of hot sauce. Very good.

Lately I have been soaking all my venison in buttermilk for 24 hours before preparing it.

Take care. Mike

05-Feb-17
Cast iron is toxic. Great cause of alzhiemers disease. Sad but true.

05-Feb-17
pop, excess iron is believed to cause Alzheimer's. No here does it say that it is caused bu cast iron skillets. God Bless men

05-Feb-17

Aubs8's embedded Photo
Aubs8's embedded Photo
The best thing about get-togethers is leftovers the next day...

Caribou and Whitetail recipes per above surrounding grilled Caribou backstrap with Lowry's Salt and pepper....

Gotta go ??

06-Feb-17
I've seen some un-supported allegations that aluminum cookware and free aluminum may contribute to Alzheimers, but have never seen a peer-reviewed study that showed ANY correlation between cast iron, or aluminum cookware, or free metal ions in food and drink, to Alzheimers. Cooking low acid foods in Properly seasoned cast iron and then removing the food for service and storage shouldn't add a significant amount of metal ions to the food anyway.

06-Feb-17
I hear soaking fish in milk causes it too.

he he he

;-)

06-Feb-17
Getting old causes lots things..... 100% fatal I hear.......

06-Feb-17
My parents, grandparents and great grandparents all ate cast iron cooking for years and they are all dead.

06-Feb-17
I hear that hearing damages your hearing.

07-Feb-17
Well if it's on the internet it must be true

09-Feb-17

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Moose deep fried in cast iron this eve.

10-Feb-17
Once in a hunt camp, a guide was telling us how much Caribou, Moose, and Water Foul he puts in the Freezer every year. So I thought, man I got to get his recipes. He said he pretty much does Fondue. We tried it, and it is truly outstanding.

When we do a Fondue Venison meal, we have two pots. One with hot oil for the meat, and the other with a cheese fondue. We use cubes of venison lightly marinated in teriyaki, cut up apples, asparagus, and sour dough french bread. It's always been a hit with friends. They can't believe how good elk & deer is:-)

• Sitka Gear