UltimatePred 06-Jan-17
Paul@thefort 18-Jan-17
01-Dec-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
December 1, 2016.

Hard to believe it has already been a year since the last start of my local archery goose hunt. This will be the sixth year hunting these waterfowl, i.e, as I call them, yard-hoppers as they are the local, stick to home, non migrating geese, that frequent yards, pastures and local ponds just outside the city limits of Ft. Collins Colorado. And the great thing about all of this, the hunting field is only a mile from my house.

In February of this year, I shot my 30th goose with the bow and arrow and my trusty retriever, Chase who is now going on eight years old (Feb. 16) had a ball retrieving them. Pictured, 30th goose.

I am very pleased that a few other Bowsiters that have taken up the challenge also, in the pursuit of a goose with the bow and a great way to extend the bow seasons.

01-Dec-16

Many of you might remember the encounter I had with this great horned owl last year as I was walking Chase near the house. He spoke of his nightly hunts and directed me out to the fields near the interstate highway when he had picked off a few geese himself. Chase and I traveled out there the next day and the geese were there so the hunt plans were formulated.

01-Dec-16
Looking forward to following along.. Always enjoy your threads.. Happy hunting and Merry Christmas to you and yours Paul.. >>>>>------------<

01-Dec-16
Good luck Paul... always enjoy seeing you & Chase after the geese.

01-Dec-16

But this year, the wise old owl did not show up to offer any advise so I had to rely on a few other local critters. This young mule deer buck was at the feeder yesterday morning and he seemed willing to talk. "Hey, young buck, have you seen any geese in your travels around the neighborhood?"

He look surprised that a human was talking to him but then, nothing anymore surprised him concerning the human race. He thought about it for moment, took another mouth full of bird seed and said, " Well, not as many as last year at this time, but you know, it has been very warm and maybe the migration has not started and there is plenty of food for the local geese and they seem to be scattered around. I did see a few on the lake a mile from here." I asked him, "are you heading over there soon and can you give me another report?". He stated, " not to sure about that, the food is good right here and I may stick around for a while."

I thanked him for his report and reply and shut the kitchen window.

01-Dec-16

This morning, as I placed more bird seed in the feeder, I hear a gnawing sound coming from the nearby pine tree. I look up and this fat squirrel is having his morning breakfast. Maybe he would have some information about the local geese.

"Hey bushy tail, how is your morning going." He almost turning inside- out as he scampered up the tree. Like the young buck, he was amazed that a human was talking to him. I stood there on the deck and he decided to come closer to investigate.

I said, "I hope you are enjoying the bird seed I have been putting out but you sure are eating more than your share". He smiled and kept on eating.

"Maybe we can work out a deal" I stated. "What's that" he stated.

"How about food for information?" "What kind of information are you looking for", he said. I told him about my local goose hunts and that I needed information about what the local geese were up to and if he had seen or heard any of late. He seemed to hesitate with his answer, almost pondering the question of double crossing his fellow wild critters. But then a steady supply of winter food just might change his mind.

"OK", I will let you know. Give me a few days to check around".

01-Dec-16
Good luck Paul! Always look forward to your goose hunting thread each year. Thanks for posting it again!

01-Dec-16
wohoooo! always look forward to your water fowling escapades!!!

Good luck Paul and Chase!

Mark

01-Dec-16

Mark, Chase and I had a good mallard shoot last week but it is goose time again with the stick., ie, well sort of.

01-Dec-16
Paul--- Always enjoy this annual thread... Keep us posted on your endeavors!

01-Dec-16
Looking forward to it Paul!..... thanks much.....

but never trust a squirrel......

01-Dec-16
Chatting with the animals must be some good stuff out in Colorado! Ha keep it coming awesome thread!

02-Dec-16
Paul, I've enjoyed this thread the last couple of years but I always wondered about your dog. After you shoot a goose with your bow are you ever nervous about him getting hurt by what ever point you might be using when he retrieves the bird? Your dog may be far better than the lab I had, we'd shoot (shot guns) and he'd be out of the blind running after whatever was falling! I know most dogs are trained better but I just wondered how you handeled him picking up birds that may have broad heads or what ever you might be using still arround???

02-Dec-16
Have fun Paul---

There sure seems to be a lot more geese around this year than years past.

Good luck, Robb

02-Dec-16
Great start to the annual thread chatting with the animals! Look forward to following along with your goose hunts with your buddy Chase!

02-Dec-16
Good luck Paul, I'll be tuned in sir.

02-Dec-16
Andrew, I always wait until I see the arrow (pass through) has cleared before I send Chase out. If the arrow is in the goose, I keep him in the blind and then I go out and clear the arrow and reset the goose for the final retrieve. Works well with no issues.

Thanks for the question. Paul

02-Dec-16
Andrew he uses expandables on geese. Chase couldn't get hurt if he tried. ;)

02-Dec-16

December 2, 2016 9am

This morning I drove past my hunting spot across from the big lake but only saw a few geese but I did spy this eagle perched nearby. I thought it would not hurt to have a conversation with this bird of prey since he flies high and far and must know something about the goose situation.

" Hi baldy" I shouted from the base of the tree. He glared down at me with piercing yellow eyes. "Hey, who are you calling baldy, Sonny? I am the Nation's symbol and I need respect" "Sorry" I said, I must apologize as I have misspoken. Yes you are a great symbol for our Nation. I am sure glad it was not the wild turkey who was picked for that role." "Me too," he said, They might taste better in the pot but they would never be as statuesque as me." " I agreed".

"So what' s up Sonny?" "Well I hunt the local geese just over there on that property near the pond and was scouting around to see if any geese were in the area and using that pond and the adjacent field. I set up a blind and hunt them with my bow and arrow." "You have got to be kidding me," the eagle stated. "you use your bow and arrow, real cool! I thought, this is a hip eagle for sure.

So getting back to business. "What can you tell me about the local goose population?" I said. He said, "well if you had been here earlier, there were about 300 geese in that yard right there eating the green grass. And just before you got here, they flew out on the lake and to that far shore line to rest for the day. You just need to get your butt here earlier." "OK,ok, I stated. I will come here tomorrow with the camera and check them out". "Why the camera? I thought you were going to shoot them with an arrow?" the eagle said.

I have a few fellow bow hunter friends on a hunting site that are interested in this goose hunt and I share the hunt and story with pictures, thus the camera.". "Oh!", he stated.

The eagle, then said, " well if you wound one and it flies out on the lake and you can not get it, let me know, as I am a good retriever." I heard Chase from inside the truck, whimpering and that reminded me of my good retriever. "OK" I said. "thanks for the information.

The eagle sailed off heading to the far side of the lake and I just knew what for. Goose time for sure.

02-Dec-16
Good luck Paul!

02-Dec-16
Yeah, right..... and the check is in the mail...... Hawks and eagles always TELL you they'll bring em back..... but they never do..... bad as squirrels, the lil rats.... =D

02-Dec-16
TD, YOU HAVE TO BE A BELIEVER! You know, Santa, Tinkerbell and the good fairy.

my best, Pau

03-Dec-16
Like the story telling Paul. Please continue.

On a side note: I was watching WeatherNation this morning and they were showing geese splashing around in a partially frozen lake in "the Fort". Was wondering if Paul N. was going to rise up out of the weeds at any time with his bow. :>)

03-Dec-16

December 3, 8am, 20 degrees

The eagle was correct, the geese were there and some had already flown off the lake, across the road to feed.

03-Dec-16

03-Dec-16

Starting to look very interesting. We have not seen the large migratory goose flocks yet in the area but as many of you know from my past hunts, I am hunting the local geese I call yard hoppers.

Time to contact the land owner and figure the best time to set up the Double Bull blind within the next day or so. Stay tuned for more action. my best, Paul

03-Dec-16
Paul, I certainly see why you call em Yard Hoppers........ =D

checking this pretty regularly..... if you haven't noticed..... heheheheheh... good luck!

03-Dec-16
Best of luck to you and Chase, Paul!

03-Dec-16
I'm thinking Paul made a little visit to the weed store down the street from where we live. I talk to that little buck all the time and he never says nothin' to me. The owl only asks who I am.

Paul, I didn't hear your bow go off today, but tomorrow may be the morning!

03-Dec-16
Hey Lou, I have not set up the blind yet. Maybe on Monday. Looks like a major cold front coming Tuesday through Friday with highs only in the mid 20s and low in the 5-10s. Hard to figure out the geese as most of the ponds and lakes will freeze over. Will just have to wait a see as the actual hunt may not be until the following week when it warms up some.

04-Dec-16

Ok, looks like tomorrow will be the first day of the great archery goose hunt. Loaded up the decoys and Double Bull blind this afternoon and headed to the goose field to set up. Some yard-hoppers on the lake across the highway and then feeding on the yard- property next door. Hard to tell if they will change their pattern but maybe one or two might drop in. Only way to find out is go goose hunting.

04-Dec-16

Added two panels of camo netting

04-Dec-16

and then some local branches and grass

04-Dec-16

twenty yards out where the decoys will be set up in two groups.

04-Dec-16

Chase and I am ready. We will be back in the field before the sun comes up.

my best, Paul

04-Dec-16
Good looking set up Paul. Best of luck to both of you tomorrow.

04-Dec-16
Get em buddy! Russell particularly likes this story;)

05-Dec-16
Bring it on Paul!

Mark

05-Dec-16
A riding mower or golf cart would make a great "blind" over there! No need for overkill.

05-Dec-16

Dec. 5 Monday. 5:30am. 45 Degrees.

Hunt 1. Looks like a huge change in the weather coming in the next few days. Tropical heat wave today but a Arctic freeze by Tuesday- Wed. Geese will be geese and go where they want to so this morning's hunt will be more of a "scouting trip" but maybe with a little luck, I might attract a few into the decoys. Last year it took me eight hunts to finely kill a goose and I know my better success has come later the month but I will be heading for California on the 15th for a week so I might as well take advantage of this time. I just know Chase is eager to go. Will leave the house at 6am, be setup by 6:30, (legal shooting time,) sunrise, is at 7:05. With this warm weather, the geese will fly early.

05-Dec-16
Good luck Paul!

05-Dec-16
Good luck Paul. Shoot straight.

05-Dec-16

lots of geese in the area but they did not want to land where I was setup.
lots of geese in the area but they did not want to land where I was setup.
Hunt 1 conclusion. Well as I stated, geese will go where they want to and that was on the green lawns next door.

05-Dec-16

and just when I thought they might come in they headed for the green lawns.

05-Dec-16

heading for the neighbors property

05-Dec-16

the only critter I decoyed in was this young WT buck

06-Dec-16

Dec, 6 Hunt 2, 6 am

O'Man! A 31 degree temperature drop compared to yesterday morning. I should stay in bed this morning but you guys are expecting me to go out and kill a goose. So here I go all bundled up. I might wait until the sun comes up to warm up a little.

my best, Paul

06-Dec-16
Good luck this morning Paul!

06-Dec-16
Good luck Paul!!

06-Dec-16
Love the "conversations" with the local game population...but you do know that you cannot trust the animals to tell off on other animals...right? :)

Good luck and I look forward to more posts from you on this subject.

06-Dec-16

Well I did wait until the sun was about to rise but the geese did not start to fly until later as their feed had to thaw out some.

06-Dec-16

06-Dec-16

A half hour later, this pair showed some interest in the spread. And with a couple of goose clucks on the call, they headed my way.

06-Dec-16

goose in the spread and a well placed arrow put it down. I sent Chase out for his first goose of the year and number 31 in all.

06-Dec-16

good boy!

06-Dec-16

a treat for a job well done. Did I say a well placed arrow" Well I missed the other goose twice before it left. No treats for me

06-Dec-16

more action coming

06-Dec-16
Makes it a little easier to get up in the cold doesn't it? =D

Congrats, first of the year on the second set, took a good bit longer for the first last year if I recall. Good deal.

Now.... back to our regular scheduled programing..... heheheheh....

06-Dec-16
Great start congrats!

06-Dec-16
I love this hunt Paul. Thanks!!

06-Dec-16
Nice work Paul! Way to get on the board early!

06-Dec-16
Paul, Congrats on the first goose of the year. Keeps you sighted in for your upcoming AZ Coues deer trip in a few weeks. Might be warmer on that hunt.

06-Dec-16
Nice work Chase!!!!

Paul, get to bed early tonight:)!!!

way to go!!! Mark

06-Dec-16

on the ground. the sticks to the left is my 20 yard marker
on the ground. the sticks to the left is my 20 yard marker
Ok, more action. Here comes this flock heading straight in. There was no doubt that they were committed to land.

06-Dec-16

I pick out the one facing and let the arrow fly. Good hit!

06-Dec-16

Arrow was a pass through so I send Chase to retrieve. I do believe he has this hunt down by retrieving his 32nd goose from this field.

06-Dec-16

Time for another dog treat

06-Dec-16
Way to go Chase!....you too Paul!

Do any of the geese that you make a good hit on ever get airborne before they die?

06-Dec-16

Well that was a fun morning with bow and dog. Just like any other bow hunt, one never really knows exactly how the hunt will turn out. This morning was a good day to be in the field so look forward to the next installment as it might just be sooner than expected.

my best, Paul

06-Dec-16

t-roy, I have only had one goose that flew 300 yards after a marginal hit but Chase found him as we circled the field downwind, while looking for him. Geese just seem to die easily. If shot in the body/wing, they just seem to give up. Oh, I have had a few that tried to fly but they only go 10 yards or so, flapping along the ground, but not airborne. Now, if a wounded goose acted like a wounded turkey, then the goose hunt would take on a totally different flavor.

As I left my hunting field, this is what I saw on the property next door. Sort of like a private goose preserve. I might have to try again in the morning.

Paul

06-Dec-16
Great job Paul happy for you and thanks a lot for taking the time to share!

06-Dec-16
Love this annual thread!

Would it work if you painted some patches around the Dekes with green paint?!?

06-Dec-16

Hey Rich, I thought about purchasing some indoor/outdoor green carpet and set the dekes on that but for the size I need, that would break my bank.

It is going to be very cold the next few mornings so I will plan the next goose hunt on Friday or Saturday with the temp heading for the 40s.

07-Dec-16
Paul, thanks for the great lunch and Coues guidance today. Forget the green carpet, just get some of those plastic corn cob decoys and scatter them around.

But I gotta tell you that one goose was the smallest goose I've ever seen. Like a duck impersonating a goose. Great shots on both, especially on that gosling!

Good luck Friday. Give a call if you need me to, you know, swing by and sort of haze those next door neighbors over in your direction. ;-)

07-Dec-16
Nice work Paul! Always good to have your Christmas goose in the freezer!

P.S. Save some of those dog treats for Chase.

07-Dec-16
Love it!

Totally trying this after deer season!

07-Dec-16
They actually make a turf paint thats specifically made for lawns. Landscapers use it when they are getting ready to show homes that have just had fresh sod laid down, or if the grass is a little less than lush and green. It's relatively weather proof and I don't believe it's that expensive. That could maybe help you some.

07-Dec-16
Killed two out of the same flock or was it two separate flocks came in? They don't spook too bad when one is hit? The first taken you mentioned getting off a second shot?

07-Dec-16

Tom, a pair of geese came in first. Shot one arrow thinking I had missed low. Shot again and made a hit. Upon retrieving the goose, it had two arrows in it. Its mate did not know what was happening and just stayed their a few yards away. I missed him twice just over his back. Then a flock of 8 birds came in later, and I killed one of them; the remainder of the geese took off. So, more than once I get a double kill or at least two shots off. Sometimes they spook, and sometimes not so much. That is the beauty of the quite bow vs, a shot gun and much more satisfying for me. Will try again this Fri or Sat, as it should warm up into the 40s. Thanks for the replies. my best, Paul

Badlands, Green paint? So now there is 3 inches of snow on the ground so greens is now white. Actually having the geese just next door provides a good refuge and a supply of geese. That can change as the snow/frost kills off the grass. It is great that they will stay around and just seeing them and killing one once in a while adds greatly to the hunt.

07-Dec-16

I have been asked, what broad heads do I use for goose hunting.

I use NAP Shock Wave mech BH for my goose (32 killed) and turkey hunts (44 killed). I have found them to be well made, and they surely do the job with good penetration, but more important they break bones and/ or create a good wound channel. They can be resharpened and or, the blades can be renewed if needed. I purchase them at Walmart, $20 for a three pack.

07-Dec-16

07-Dec-16

07-Dec-16
Paul,

While driving by Memorial Park, in Colorado Springs, saw hundreds of geese and thought about the reign of terror you could bring upon them! Thx for the stories, pics and broadhead info.

07-Dec-16
Thanks Rich. I am sure there are other pockets where bow hunting for geese is possible. I am very lucky to have a property that is outside of the city limits and is large enough to give me the opportunity and has a local goose population. There are a few videos on YouTube concerning "bow hunting for geese", where other bow hunters have taken advantage of this. Actually I got the idea from someone here on Bowsite who developed a small winter wheat field or maybe just a green lawn of sorts, and build a semi pit blind in a rural/urban neighborhood and did good. I know (Bowsite) Beav and his crew kill a few mallards with bow and arrows on a slough and from a blind.

08-Dec-16

Shot placement? Much like turkey hunting, I "try" to hit them just above the drumsticks and in the gut pocket but for geese, it seems like anywhere you hit them, (within reason), they will be retrievable. If you break a wing, they are done for. Out of 32 geese shot, only one flew away with a marginal shot, but I still was able to see it go down 300 yards away and recover it.

08-Dec-16
Great posts! I love waterfowl hunting, and have always wanted to hunt them with my bow. Looks like a blast!

08-Dec-16

We had a few inches of snow last night and the temperature hit 6 degrees and the high for today is 12. May warm up by this weekend to 45 degrees.

So I look out the kitchen window this morning to check on the birds that have been visiting the feeder and find these two guys grabbing up all of the seed they can.

Taking a phrase from this year's election period, ie, Pay to Play, I figured if these bucks were PLAYING around my feeder, maybe they had to PAY me back with some local information about the geese where a bouts.

WELL , I get the same craze look I received from the small buck, the squirrel, and the eagle. Sort of, "why is this guy talking to us?"

After I explained the situation, they looked at each other and agreed to play along. "Well, one stated, with this cold snap the big lake is frozen over for sure and the other pond up the road, with the air pumps keeping some areas open, there are a few geese there but it seems the big flocks have left for awhile until things melt off and the local feed becomes available. Maybe by this weekend some might start flying again.

"What about those two green yards across from the lake, any geese there,?" I stated. "No" the smaller buck stated, they may have headed into town or even farther south to find some open water and fields."

"OK bucks, chow down and keep warm", as I closed the window.

The two buck looked at each other, turned out of the yard and headed across the road.. Did I see a slight grin on their faces. Hard to tell.

My best, Paul

08-Dec-16
Well now we know ALL of the neighborhood bucks aren't gone! ;-)

I was wondering if you'd hnt this morning. It was -4 at my house when I went out to get the paper. Not sure if the birds moved much this morning at all but I didn't see any on the lake at noon, sooo.... Are you in the blind now? Sunny, calm and a balmy 12.

08-Dec-16
No not in the blind. Too cold for man or beast. Tomorrow temps will be in the mid 40s and will melt some snow so I will wait until Saturday morn and try again. Give me a call, as I have an idea about where to camp in AZ, near where you are going to hunt. Paul

09-Dec-16
Paul, look forward to this one every year. Good luck, and enjoy.

09-Dec-16
Great thread and pics! Very cool, thanks for sharing.

09-Dec-16
Well done Paul. Let's keep it going with continued success on these yard hoppers!

09-Dec-16
Nice !! I look forward to this thread every year.

09-Dec-16
Rick, Dino, Franzen, SD, I will be heading out to the goose field in the morning. I went out at noon to shovel open a few spots to show the grass underneath the snow. I will set up the decoys in these clear areas. As I got out of the truck a flock of 12 yard hoppers landed in the field. I sent Chase out to chase them away. The big lake across the road is frozen over so no geese there. The pond up the road has some geese on it as well as another lake nearby where two big flocks of geese are keeping an area ice free with their movement during the night. They will fly later in the morning but I will be there setting up when the sun come up. Looking forward to getting out again as the temperture will be in the mid 40s in the afternoon and ok in the morning.

my best, Paul

10-Dec-16

Hunt 3, Dec 10

Well the temperature look good but after the real cold spell that provided a few inches of snow and froze up the local ponds and lakes, it will be interesting what the goose situation is. Heading out at 7 am.

10-Dec-16

Chase is ready
Chase is ready
bow is ready
bow is ready
"come on, lets go, said Chase
"come on, lets go, said Chase
Decoys out

10-Dec-16

It does not matter, if one is hunting, elk, deer, pronghorn, or turkeys, sometime the stars do not line up. The recent storm has sent many of the Yard Hoppers to parts unknown and the flight was light this morning with no geese over the field and no geese in the adjacent yards. Most of what I saw was a 1/2 mile north and heading south for better pickings. The big lake is frozen solid with no geese using it as before. Time will tell and I will try again next week. The only birds overhead were robins picking the fruit off of the Russian Olive trees.

My best, Paul

10-Dec-16
All dressed up and no one to...! Oh well, hopefully Chase still got some treats!

13-Dec-16

Hey Rich, I just checked out the goose field and because the snow has melted on the adjacent properties, the Yard Hoppers are back. Not as many as before but I will give it a try in the morning. This will be the last time for a week as we are heading to California for a week but hope to goose hunt a few days before the Holidays. Yea, need a few more geese for jerky.

14-Dec-16

Dec. 14, 2016, Goose Hunt 4. Ok, back at it again. Took a few days off to give the goose field a rest. Heading for California for a week starting tomorrow so I wanted to get a hunt in before we left. Chilly this morning with only a high of 22. It is 17 degrees right now as I type this story at 11 am.

14-Dec-16

I was lucky, they circled and landed 25 yards away
I was lucky, they circled and landed 25 yards away
I settled the single pin on the closest goose
I settled the single pin on the closest goose
A good hit, number 33 was down and out
A good hit, number 33 was down and out
The local Yard Hoppers did not fly until nearly 9am, an hour later than usual and there were not many of them. Even the large flock that have been around seem to have gone farther south towards Denver. I was hoping that the geese I saw yesterday on the adjacent property might come back. This was the first flock to show up.

14-Dec-16

Doing what he does best
Doing what he does best
A treat for Chase for a job well done
A treat for Chase for a job well done
eager to eat. he almost took my finger off
eager to eat. he almost took my finger off
I removed the arrow, returned to the blind and sent Chase out for the retrieve.

14-Dec-16

almost on the ground. Chase is whining as usual--lets go, lets go.
almost on the ground. Chase is whining as usual--lets go, lets go.
and two late comers
and two late comers
I watched them for awhile and took a few pictures
I watched them for awhile and took a few pictures
Later, this flock came into the field but landed 50 yards away. Too far for an accurate shot. Fun to watch them fly in, land, and then do what geese do.

14-Dec-16

I sent Chase out to "chase" them away.
I sent Chase out to "chase" them away.
Well, that was a fun hunt. Another goose for the pot. I made goose yerky from the breast meat and ate it while elk and deer hunting. Very good indeed.
Well, that was a fun hunt. Another goose for the pot. I made goose yerky from the breast meat and ate it while elk and deer hunting. Very good indeed.

14-Dec-16
The Adventures of Paul & Chase: AWESOME. Way to go! You ever score any jewelry off of those birds, Paul? Are they all hatched in the nearby area or do you see migrants move through? Keep sticking and safe travel to CA.

-luke

14-Dec-16
Very Nice !!

14-Dec-16

Luke, no jewelry as these are local geese that are born and raised in the area. The large flocks of migrants (pictured) may stay overnight on the lake across the road but then they fly out to the large grain fields. If one drives through Ft Collins, one might see geese on many of the curbs and nearby grass lawns. The Front Range of Colorado is well known for its goose hunting from pit blinds on large grain field. So many of these fields are leased to outfitters. I am very lucky to have this place to goose hunt and with the bow. Thanks for the questions. Hope the best for you and your family this Holiday Season. my best, Pau

14-Dec-16
Paul, great thread. Enjoy the California weather. I've seen you shoot. I think you could have hit one at 50 yards.

14-Dec-16
Great job this Year, Paul! Hope you have a good visit out here in CA.

BTW, you've probably covered this before but, what is your favorite way to cook these critters?

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Dec-16
Jeff, I have never cooked a whole goose but my easiest and best way for me is to make jerky from the breast meat. The goose meat has the same protein rating as beef. We have tenderized the breast meat by cutting each breast in half, beat it up with a hammer some, marinate it (24 hours) in a Russian Dressing with some orange juice, and then grill it lightly. Sort of like liver. Also cube up the meat for salad.

14-Dec-16
Congrats Paul!!!

You must have one heck a milk bone bill considering all the treats Chase has been getting of late!

Mark

14-Dec-16
Mark, that is one bill I do not mind paying. I know you would agree that our dogs are special and part of the family. The love and warmth they add is un measurable.

I hope you have your next adventure in the planning stage. When I get back from California, I will start packing for my Coues deer hunt in AZ and get this, I can stay the whole month if needed. Great and understanding wife. Sort of a New Years present from her. my best, Paul

14-Dec-16
Nice job Paul...and Chase!

14-Dec-16
Great thread Paul ! Looks like a ton of fun !

15-Dec-16
Apparently all those animals don't trust Chase...... double for the squirrels I'd bet.....

Great job Paul, really enjoy follo-wing along with you every year.... not just a hunt, entertainment with great writing as well. Very much appreciated.

15-Dec-16
Good job Paul & Chase.

20-Dec-16

Goose Hunt 5, Dec. 20, 16, O dark thirty as usual.

Tricia and I had just returned from our quick trip to southern California. Yea, 75 degrees, walking on the beach yesterday morning and then had a great lunch at the historic Coronado Hotel near San Diego. Flew to DIA and then arrived at home by 11 pm. JUST IN TIME TO GO GOOSE HUNTING IN THE MORNING THIS AM.

20-Dec-16

quarter to 10, these 4 showed interested
quarter to 10, these 4 showed interested
and they landed 25 yards away. Chase was whining and he spooked them. NO TREATS for him.
and they landed 25 yards away. Chase was whining and he spooked them. NO TREATS for him.
so off they go for greener pastures and are even joined by two others. Dam Dog!
so off they go for greener pastures and are even joined by two others. Dam Dog!
Quite a shift in temperature from 9 below and 4 inch of snow, two days ago ( a great time to be in California) to a high of 50 today. I figured the geese might be flying late this morning but I was set up my 8am. Only a few geese flew early and it was not until 9:15 that more were observed on the wing.

20-Dec-16
Good luck Paul! Looking forward to hearing about Chase rounding up number 34 for you!

20-Dec-16

minutes later, two geese over the blind
minutes later, two geese over the blind
a few clucks on the call turns them my way.
a few clucks on the call turns them my way.
turned them my way.
turned them my way.
and they land 20 yards away. (do not know who the boat guys are. maybe they followed us home from California)
and they land 20 yards away. (do not know who the boat guys are. maybe they followed us home from California)

20-Dec-16

This time Chase was more quite because he just knew that if he was too loud, no treats. The goose on the right took the arrow solid in the 12 ring.

20-Dec-16

Chase retrieved the first one and then the second
Chase retrieved the first one and then the second
the second goose and number 35 over all. 5 geese so far this season. They will make fine jerky.
the second goose and number 35 over all. 5 geese so far this season. They will make fine jerky.
the other goose started to walk off to the left suspecting something was just not right. The arrow and sharp BH was there quickly, another goose down

20-Dec-16
Hahaha. Looks like our good friend, Serbian Shark, in the boat! Send him back to San Diego!

Keep the photos and details coming, Paul. I think next fall you should look at install of a couple of dug in blinds and up the ante' with traditional archery out of the air via flu flus?!

20-Dec-16
Luke, that is a scary bunch in that boat. I have been thinking about using the recurve but on geese on the ground. Maybe I will up the ante' next year. Thanks for the note.

Paul

20-Dec-16

Ok, Chase earned this treats. Man, is he fast with the grab.
Ok, Chase earned this treats. Man, is he fast with the grab.

20-Dec-16

another fun day in the goose field for man and beast. thanks for following along. I will trying again in the morning as I want to get more meat for goose jerky. my best, Paul
another fun day in the goose field for man and beast. thanks for following along. I will trying again in the morning as I want to get more meat for goose jerky. my best, Paul

20-Dec-16
A DOUBLE! AWESOME!

20-Dec-16
TD, if the first bird shot does not freak out and flap around, there is a good chance to get another shot off for a double. Too much fun. Paul

22-Dec-16

UltimatePred's Link

22-Dec-16

UltimatePred's Link

22-Dec-16
Wait.....who are you and why are you hijacking Paul's thread? If you're a sponsor please start your own thread.

22-Dec-16
AMEN! to that Lou! Paul's thread deserves to be commercial free. I'm pretty sure I just put 'Wind Drifter" on my no-buy list because of this.

22-Dec-16

local goose pond ice free in spots
local goose pond ice free in spots
So yesterday morning prior to the hunt, I check out the local goose pond that is 2/10 of a mile from where I hunt. Since the lake is frozen, the open water attracts the geese. Lucky me.

22-Dec-16

but the yard hoppers went to the neighbors yard.
but the yard hoppers went to the neighbors yard.
Later this single showed some interest but sailed on by
Later this single showed some interest but sailed on by
Goose hunt 6, Dec. 21. I head back to the field and set up the decoys. The geese have been flying late so being ready by 8 am is ok.

22-Dec-16
Paul, you should help with the electric bill for the aerarors in that pond!

Looking forward to a great report today.

22-Dec-16

Standing watch
Standing watch
As I left the goose field and passed by the neighbors yard, alas, yard hoppers

22-Dec-16

Hunt 7, Dec 22. 8 am, calm winds, 22 degrees, with a high of 35 today. A perfect day to goose hunt I would say. So far, 5 geese killed so maybe the 6th one will fall today. I decided to change locations in the field and set up 70 yards away from the Double Bull and shoot from a make shift blind. This location allows a full overview of the field and incoming geese from far away and the sun is at my back and this setup is higher on the hill where the geese can see the decoys from many directions. I just needed to be very still as the geese approached. And yea, keeping Chase from whining will be a problem.

22-Dec-16
Is Chase taking the "B" footage for you now Paul? Ha! Hopefully you had some luck this morning!

22-Dec-16

So right off, there come three geese right over. They circle three times. Chase is whining. No time for pictures They land and the closest one is 10 yards away. They hear the whining as are on alert and walking away. I shoot , I miss a slam dunk shot. Oh well. I take Chase to the truck. NO dog TREATS yet.

Ok, later, there comes a flock and they see the decoys. Pictures taken. Grab the bow. Wings locked and then they land within 20 yards. I shoot, and get a bunch of feathers for my trouble. NO excuse. Dam! They do not stick around.

22-Dec-16

Ok, back in the blind after finding my arrow. I have only lost two arrows over the past 5 seasons. This year I applied some deer scent to the arrow shaft just in case I needed Chase to sniff around and find the arrow.

22-Dec-16

Half hour later, more geese coming in
Half hour later, more geese coming in
broken wing
broken wing
the flock landed right on top of the decoys. Good shot but only broke a wing. He drifts off 60 yards and i had to run him down. Where is the dog when you need him?
the flock landed right on top of the decoys. Good shot but only broke a wing. He drifts off 60 yards and i had to run him down. Where is the dog when you need him?
Ok, hero shot. Number 6 for the year. I will hunt tomorrow and then take down the blind and put away the decoys. Have to get ready for my AZ Coues deer hunt in January. My best, Paul
Ok, hero shot. Number 6 for the year. I will hunt tomorrow and then take down the blind and put away the decoys. Have to get ready for my AZ Coues deer hunt in January. My best, Paul
Half hour later, more geese coming in. Ok Paul, kill one!

22-Dec-16
Great job Paul!! Love following along.

22-Dec-16
I have a field down the road and every time I pass it their are geese in it and I think of this thread. Now all I have to do is get permission to hunt it! Great thread.

22-Dec-16
Brad, just check the local laws concerning hunting and yes, permission is needed. Hope you the best. Paul

22-Dec-16
Paul, looks like you had a really great season. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventures. I keep looking, but have to find a spot around here where I can try my hand at archery goose. Best of luck on your Coues hunt!

22-Dec-16
Thanks Paul! A real pleasure to follow along, as always. Congrats on a great season! Is 6 for the year your best? I can't recall?

Good luck in AZ...... I bet with a little work Chase could retrieve one of those lil deer too.... if he don't whine too much...... =D

22-Dec-16
Thanks guys, Final hunt tomorrow morning. TD, the best year was 12 geese. I almost limited out one day with five but missed the fifth one. Actually, if I had not missed today, I would have killed three geese. Six geese is about average and I will start making goose jerky this weekend. Weather should be ok in the morning but hard to tell what the geese will do day to day; sort of like any hunt we go on.

22-Dec-16
Very cool Paul. Good luck on the deer hunt!

22-Dec-16
Paul, I checked out the regs and looks doable to me. Just gotta get the balls to knock on the door been awhile since I door knocked. Do you eat the breast or just jerky? I've never tried wild goose.

23-Dec-16
Brad, the goose breast meat is very thick and lean so if I cook any I cut the breasts layered into two (mostly) or three pieces (if very thick). Then I lightly use a tenderizer hammer to "soften" the meat some. After that I use a marinate of Russian Dressing and one orange and let that set over night. Cooking that, I treat it like liver, power with flour, and cook it fast and med rare. Also this meat can be diced up and added to a salad. Also, the breast meat can be cooked in a Crock Pot with good results. Recently, making jerky is my favorite as I take it with me on all of my hunting trips and it has the same protean content as beef.

23-Dec-16

Dec, 23, 7 am. THE LAST DAY OF THE HUNT but one never knows how the hunt will go. Yesterday they decoyed good. I had three shots, missed two but killed one. Total of 6 for year. Light winds and warm temps. Should be a great morning to head out.

23-Dec-16

Sun up
Sun up
When one gets older, it is always great to see the sun come up!

23-Dec-16

23-Dec-16

Very slow morning
Very slow morning
maybe these three, looking good
maybe these three, looking good
Nope, they just flew on by
Nope, they just flew on by

23-Dec-16

About 10:30 I thought I could hear some music coming from one of the near by houses. Could it be? Yes, the Fat Lady was just starting to warm up some. Up and down the music scale she went, it will not be long now. I will hunt until then.

23-Dec-16

the fox carefully move closer
the fox carefully move closer
but stayed out of range behind the decoys
but stayed out of range behind the decoys
At 11 am I see movement near the pond and this red fox steps out. Maybe he knows what the geese are doing today. They flew so good yesterday but today, hardly any at all. I yelled across the field, " hey mister fox." He stopped with that questioning look on his face. " what's up dude" he stated. "If you do not mind, can you come near so we can talk without yelling across the field?" "Not sure about that", he stated. " I had heard from the eagle that you were over here hunting geese with your bow and you were a good shot." "I am ok but I will put the bow away as a friendly jester. Come on over".

He cautiously moved closer, but stayed behind the decoys and just out of range.

23-Dec-16

"ok, how can I help you?" Well, I stated " the geese were flying really good yesterday morning, and I decoyed in some and killed one but missed two others." "Yea, he said, I was up on the hill in the grass and saw you run after the goose with the broken wing. I was hoping it would get away from you. This diet of mice and rabbits gets boring after awhile. A Christmas goose would have been nice."

I asked him if he had been around these parts for long. "Sure , born and raised right here. I hunt over near the goose pond and find a few cripples once in a while. Actually I was there last night and over heard some geese talking in a panic of sorts." "What was that all about,"? I questioned. "It seems they had lost one of their flock and actually they had lost five others in the past few weeks." "lost how" I said. The fox stated" well they had been shot at before and always heard a loud blast, a gun or something like that, but this time, there was no noise, and when the remained of the flock took off, on lay dead on the ground. Almost like it had been struck by lightening! And then this black four legged beast came running out, picked it up and returned to the thick brush with the goose in its mouth. It almost make my mouth salivate just thinking about it, the fox stated." I asked the fox, "did they know where this all happened". Yea, right in this field and that is the very reason there did not show up this morning, they did not want to be struck by lightening and then have that black beast grab them up."

So the puzzle was solved thanks to the fox and his insightful information. Talking to the local critters can be rewarding.

23-Dec-16

So Mister Fox turned tail and headed back to the pond but yelled back over his shoulder, "maybe the next time you wound a goose, you can get it get away, you know, Pay to Play." I said, "you bet and thanks for the info and have a very Merry Christmas and Very Happy New Year." He disappeared in the tall marsh grass and cattails.

Well, I am sure I will see him again but it will have to be next goose season as I am heading for AZ to Couse WT deer hunt.

Fellow bowsiters, thanks for following along and Tricia and I wish you and yours the very best Christmas and New Years. Make 2017 the best ever.

Paul

23-Dec-16

Not sure how this boot thing got started, but here is my contribution.

my best, Paul

23-Dec-16
Great thread as usual Paul! Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Happy New Year! Thank you for sharing again this year! Good luck in Arizona!

23-Dec-16
Awesome thread Paul, merry Christmas and good luck on your next hunt!

23-Dec-16
Merry Christmas Paul! Safe travels and best of luck in AZ

Lets get together before turkey season

23-Dec-16
That fox is lucky I had to work today. Thanks for the invite! Next time...

23-Dec-16
Hey Will, sure is a handsome looking fox for sure. Enjoyed having our conversation and taking his picture. :) I am sure he is hell on the mouse population and hope to see him again in the future. Paul

24-Dec-16
Thank you for taking us along Paul! You have a great way of telling the story, and it's always entertaining. Have a Merry Christmas and good luck in AZ!

24-Dec-16
Hey Brad, it is getting harder to develop a good story line to keep up the interest but with camera in hand, sometimes the critters just show up, (like the fox yesterday morning) to help add to the drama. Not sure how I would have ended the story without the fox. Thanks for the kind words and maybe there might be a AZ story in the future.

Merry Christmas, Paul

26-Dec-16
Hey Justin, I know there are a lot of geese in So Dakota. Have you ever tried pheasants with your bow?

Hey Brad, looking forward to hooking up before turkey seaosn if not sooner. Have a good time with the guys next week. Hate to miss that get together. Starting to pack up for the AZ trip and will leave on o'dark Wed. If you hear a loud shout from that direction by med month, it was me either killing a good buck OR finding another bale of high quality pot :). Paul

26-Dec-16

seasoned to taste.
seasoned to taste.
I ended up with 11 pounds of goose breasts from the 6 geese. Used a Jerky pack and added some worcestershire for flavoring. Set set for 12 hours to absorbs the cure and seasoning. Placed in the dehydrator for 8-10 hours this morning, and will end up with some great tasting goose jerky.

26-Dec-16
Paul, I rarely tell this story about pheasants with my bow because I never think anyone will believe me! Ha! I will put my hand on the bible for this one though:

One day I was walking back to my truck from my tree stand and there is a long strip of grass that leads back to where I park from this stand. I often walk slowly through that grass to try to get a shot at a pheasant on the ground and have taken a few that way. As I was getting to the end of the grass strip I noticed a few birds running through the grass in front of me that I had been pushing. I knew they would hold tight and flush at the end of the strip. That year there was only bean stubble at the end of the strip so I thought to myself "if they fly why not try for one in the air? You'll find your arrow easily in the bean stubble, nothing lost." So as I approached the end of the strip I had an arrow nocked and ready. Two big, beautiful roosters busted out of the grass at the end of strip, everything happened really fast after that, I drew my bow and anchored, swung toward the nearest bird who was flying directly away from me, and let my arrow fly instinctively like I would with a shotgun. Much to my surprise the bird dropped stone dead and my arrow fluttered to the ground beyond the rooster. I still laugh about this because I remember exactly what I did first: I looked around to see if anyone saw what I did! Ha! I felt like a golfer who had just gotten a hole in one but no one was there to witness it! I picked up my bird and my arrow and went on my way. I honestly doubt I could ever make that shot again if I tried 1,000 times.

Long answer to a short question, I have tried but not specifically, just coincidental to my other bowhunting, targets of opportunity. It would be a riot though with a recurve and flu-flu's. I know a few guys that have done it and have taken a few birds that way. I have shot a few out of the treestand as well but they are cagey little critters. They have amazing eyesight and many of their natural predators are airborne so they are always looking up and very, very hard to draw on.

26-Dec-16
Loved your story. Sort of like the saying. "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to hear it fall, does it make a sound?"

I lived in Watertown in the early 1970s and worked as a regional planner for the State out of a regional office. Shot lots of pheasants then.. Where do you live?

26-Dec-16
Paul, I live down in Sioux Falls but I have a brother in law that lives just NW of Watertown and spend a lot of time up in that area fishing and hunting. Most of my archery hunting is done in the NE part of the state closer to Aberdeen.

26-Dec-16
Webster SD? If so, I spent a lot of time in that area deer, fox, goose, duck and pheasant hunting. Did kill two deer with bow and gun. That was before deer tags were available to nonresidents. My hunting buddy was the wrestling coach from Webster. Long time ago but still have great memories of the prairie pot hole area.

26-Dec-16
That's the spot Paul! God's country there for sure, although many of those prairie potholes are now lakes with the wet cycle over the past 15-20 years. The waterfowling is still fantastic but farming practices recently have left the pheasant population dwindling. The removal of acreage from the conservation reserve program due to high commodity prices a few years ago being the primary driver.

26-Dec-16
Great thread. You never fail to educate and entertain.

26-Dec-16
Thanks Rodney, I checked out your AZ Couse deer picture of 2015. Fun Hunt. I am leaving Wed for AZ to do the same. Paul

06-Jan-17
Jaquomo & Coloh20fw, I was by means trying to hijack Paul's thread. However, I can CERTAINLY see how posting our Wind Drifter Decoy videos came across that way. I am a paid sponsor of Bowsite and had a Bowsite member email me and suggest I share the video on this thread. He thought many of you guys would love to see them.

I was excited about releasing our new product and was trying to type those posts as fast as I possibly could before I walked out the door for a 13 hr drive home for the holidays. It never even crossed my mind that I was being spammy. However, I certainly was. Therefore, I am going to delete those two videos right now.

I hope you guys are having a great season and have a wonderful weekend.

18-Jan-17
Lance, I understand. Thanks for the test decoys to try out.

• Sitka Gear