TD 06-Dec-16
SBH 06-Dec-16
bb 06-Dec-16
txhunter58 07-Dec-16
KHNC 07-Dec-16
Bill Obeid 07-Dec-16
Stickhead 07-Dec-16
03-Dec-16
Help with picking out optics for elk hunting???

03-Dec-16
So much depends on what type of terrain you're hunting. Buy the best you can afford. In timber a pair of 8x30 would be perfect. Wide field of view, good light transmission, reasonably compact not over-magnification. In wide open country you may want to opt for 10X for picking out bedded elk at longer ranges.

03-Dec-16
^ yep, I don't usually sit and glass for elk much on these hunts...so a light 8x that I can hold steady with one hand for short range checking the timber is my choice.

03-Dec-16
Like Lou said how about some specifics. Open country or mainly timber.

If you aren't sure or want the best all around I'd go with the 10X42s myself. Elk country isn't usually small and I hate when I can't tell what I'm looking at just because it's to darn far away. They might lack some field of view in thick stuff but I'd live with that to have what I need on the other end of the spectrum.

My 8 power binos are strictly for tree stand hunting. I hunt pretty open elk country so it's 10 power binos and a 20-60X80 spotting scope for me.

03-Dec-16
My area is thick timber in most places, so the great majority of my glassing is 100yds and in. Even so, I've used 10x42's for as long as I can remember.

03-Dec-16
10x42 would be the best overall fit.

03-Dec-16
Thanks guys I'm pretty set on 10x42 now but now trying to find a trusty pair

03-Dec-16
Power can be subjective based on quality of glass. I would take a 8x Swaro over 10x $400 binocs any day of the week - resolution matters. You will make out more with the Swaros. Quality of glass does make a difference in what you might chose.

03-Dec-16
Everyones eyes are a little different. Try them out before you buy!! If you glass a lot and can afford it.....swaros are hard to beat.

03-Dec-16
If it takes 10X to pick out elk where I hunt, the elk is likely safe because he's too far for me to pack out....

;-)

03-Dec-16
my 10x42 SLC's would have made me very happy in 95% of the elk hunting I have done over the years. Honestly I probably wouldn't feel shorted carting my whitetail glass either ...8x32 els.

03-Dec-16
10x42

03-Dec-16
JeffMartin X2.

My 10 x 40 Nikon Monarch's don't come close to my Zeiss 10 x 40 in clarity. The Nikon's ride in the truck, the Zeiss are for hunting.

03-Dec-16
All about budget.

03-Dec-16
I have had a pair of 10x42 Els around my neck for the last 15 years...Well worth the money

04-Dec-16
10X42 hunter here too! Lots of good optics to choose from these days, I like the Razors!

ElkNut1

04-Dec-16
10-42 for this guy also for the last 20 years!

04-Dec-16
I normally use my 12x50's, as the terrain is more scattered trees and open country mixed. They proved almost worthless on my elk hunt this year...new unit and really thick with trees. A set of 8x would have been perfect.

04-Dec-16
Can't help you without a budget. There are good ones in almost every price range

04-Dec-16
Swarovski SLC 10x42 is in my opinion the best "all around" binocular there is. Of course I'm biased because that is what I have.

04-Dec-16
I have been using the Leupold Mojave HD 10x42 lately. Happy with them for the price. I have some higher end stuff I can use but they are bit heavier. Elk hunting can be abusive to optics and I have lost two pair over the years one way or another. It hurts less when its a $500 set vs a $1800 set.

On a hunt where theres likely times when we will be glassing for an hour +, the expensive glass gets the nod.

04-Dec-16
My preference is a pair of 10x42 compacts.

As far as brand, get what fit your eyes, not someone else's.

04-Dec-16
I've been pleased with my Vortex Viper 10x42.

04-Dec-16
I was in the same quandry recently...did some testing to compare quality, weight and cost...finally settled on Zeiss 8x32 for about $800.00...could have spent 2-3 times as much on other high end glasses but honestly I cannot see any difference.

Joe

04-Dec-16
Buy the best you can afford. A pair of nice glass will last you for life, so think of it as a lifetime purchase. I love my Swarovski EL 10x42s.

04-Dec-16
I tried to save some money buying the Nikon's and Cabela's brand 10x42's but finally just bit the bullet and bought the Swarovski 10x42's. The $200-$400 glass doesn't even compare. I will have them forever and won't for one day regret the purchase. I also know that there really isn't a better pair of binoculars so the temptation to upgrade is never there.

Buy the Swaro's. You won't regret.

04-Dec-16
I keep abandoning my 10s in elk country in favor of my 8s because it's heavily wooded. If you're glassing open country, 10s are great, but not needed if you're glassing less than 1/2 mile and end up being unneeded size/weight.

05-Dec-16
Pres, do you know what type of terrain you're hunting? If it's mostly close in (for example, timber), 8 x something will get you better field of view than 10 x. If you don't know, 10 x without a doubt, and as noted above, the best glass you can afford. You only regret buying swaros once. Baby your glass whatever you get.

05-Dec-16
I have two the set I leave in the truck are 10x40 Zeiss the one's I pack out in the field are 10x25 mini leica

05-Dec-16
"The best"? Then the answer is always the same no matter what your hunting. 10x42 Swarovski of what ever model you choose... (And don't let some dope talk you into getting an 8 power)

05-Dec-16
The best for my budget is Vortex Razor HD 10x42.

05-Dec-16
I bought some 10x42 Vortex Razors 8 years ago. Still one of my best purchases ever.

05-Dec-16
Well Elkman, I'm going to be that dope. I've hunted with both 10x and 8x, and I much prefer the 8x's. Especially hunting in timber...

1. While weight and size seem minimal, there is a difference. And where I hunt every ounce matters. 2. Field of view. Much greater with 8x's than 10x's. And I like to see as much terrain as I can when viewing. 3. Low light. Both are going to be close, but a great pair of 8x's will get you those few extra minutes over a great pair of 10's. 4. Optics... There's really not much difference between 8 and 10 power. Don't criticize before you take the test. Go to the optic store of choice, find the best 8x's and 10x's that you prefer. Take them outside and do a real test. Yes, the 10's will be a little stronger, but when you weigh the advantages of bullets 1, 2 and 3...? I love my 8x's!

05-Dec-16
Surprisingly a lot of people prefer 8x over 10x, but do not short yourself on the other end of the optic. There is an optimal ratio for the exit pupil, I don't know it, I'm not that savy (think its 1:4). I want to say 10x42 and 8x32 are correct ratios. So 10x30, 8x25...etc are going against the grain.

Some say a pair of swaros 8x32 are better than other's 10x42.

05-Dec-16
I have hunted elk almost every year for the last 20 years I HAVE 8X42s and 10 X 42s The 8x gets the nod for 8 out of 10 hunts, depending on location and terrain. If I could only have 1, it would probably be the 10x but I can have 2, so......

05-Dec-16
I'll add one more as a bit of food for thought. Where I do most of my archery elk hunting is pretty much non-glassable. It's northern NM, and while it isn't thick timber there just isn't much open country. My 10x42s are a whole lot of unnecessary weight in that country. I have a pair of Swarovski CL 8x30s that get the nod when I'm hunting there. If I could only choose one for the rest of my life, it would be the 10x42s. However, if 90% of my hunting was going to be in country like I just described, I'd opt for something smaller/lighter weight with less magnification.

05-Dec-16
Nothing is free in optics. Go up in magnification and you lose field of view or bigger size. Go up in quality and you pay more. Go up in objective size and they weigh more. Skimp too much on quality or magnification and you may miss that antler tip in the oak brush 700 yards away that changes the whole hunt. Although I usually carry less expensive glass while bowhunting elk, the Leica Geovids are my favorite when glassing for long periods and needing a rangefinder.

05-Dec-16

05-Dec-16
Why doesn't somebody make a high-quality pair of really wide angle bino's? If we're talking timber the wider the better. I think Bushnell offered a bino with appreciably wider fov for a while, but the price point made quality suspect.

Also, if you're in one of those dense cover hunts, why do you even need 8x? For sure when I'm rifle hunting I don't have the scope anywhere near 8x in the woods/brush. Binos with 6 x 50 or something that provides a huge field of view, doesn't have to be too heavy or big, decent optics, and optimal low light gathering, because dem woods is dark - would be a great second pair.

This commenting group is obviously pretty experienced and sophisticated when it comes to optics, and several probably wouldn't hesitate to get such an optic as a specialty woods bino, especially if the price point wasn't too painful -somewhere under $1000, but above the garbagy glass price. Where is a manufacturer?

05-Dec-16
Really surprised the Swarovski 8.5 x 42 el has not been mentioned. Gets alot of good reviews

05-Dec-16
I love my Leupold 6x 32 's!! But for white tails!

I couldn't recommend them for elk...... well maybe Roosevelt.

05-Dec-16
Here is my two cents. I have a pair of Zeiss Classics. I love them, the size and weight cannot be beat. Recently on my sheep hunt, a friend came along for one day. He had a pair of Vortex that he just go replaced completely free due to their warranty. He dropped the other pair a week ago on the concrete, no questions asked replaced.

So he brings his new set ( Vortex Vipers they upgraded him to the next model as the older ones were out) and I asked to take a look through them. I was shocked, they blew my Zeiss Binos out of the water. I know they were new, and who knows what they will look like in say 5 years, but I was super impressed. WIth a warranty like that, clarity, compact, you can't lose with those things.

05-Dec-16
Caz ,

Bet they were 10x ! Sheep hunting I think the question is more between 10x or 15x

And I think the 15's are great for elk too. But you'd better be packing an animal. Then , leave them in camp when you climb and do what Dan does and break out the 10x25's and put them in your pocket.

05-Dec-16
Bill, just checked, you're correct 10x but those things are compact. I'd be all over them.

06-Dec-16
I rarely hunt anywhere anymore where 10X is useful or even usable for elk. For open country deer, sure. But 8X compacts are more than adequate in the heavy timber. I sometimes call bulls in to 40 yards and can't see anything except patches of hair.

When I hunted the open high desert pinon-juniper country 10X was barely adequate. A scope was more useful most of the time.

There is no "one size fits all". If you can only have one pair for all hunting everywhere, 10x42 is probably the right choice. If that was the only bino I had, I wouldn't carry them in the timber while elk hunting - they be in the truck for road glassing distant stuff.

06-Dec-16
Chad, when we went to Quebec for our first caribou hunt Tom took his Zeiss Classics. It was a soggy deal as soon as we stepped off the float plane and after day 1 his Classics were so fogged they were useless.

Back home he called Zeiss and asked WTH? They told him they aren't guaranteed waterproof and wouldn't honor the warranty.

Meanwhile the $400 Steiners I took on that hunt performed flawlessly (for both of us), were soaked for 6 days and never fogged once.

06-Dec-16
I'll echo what a lot of guys have already said. I own 8x42 and 10x42 binos and both work great. I mainly hunt dark timber and 8xs work great. With that said, I usually have my 10xs with me. Every once in while I get a good long view and I like to have my 10xs to take advantage of it. I have the cabelas, guide series I think. They are around $500 and I am extremely impressed with them.

06-Dec-16
10x42 ELs

06-Dec-16
Swaro EL's. No other choice really.

06-Dec-16
"Swaro EL's. No other choice really."...if you have $2500 to spend on binos. ;)

06-Dec-16
Jaq,

I find that interesting about the Zeiss 10 x 40 classics. I bought mine in 1990 and they have been rained on many, many times and never fogged once. I would rather forget my bow than my binos.

06-Dec-16
Had a pair of Zeiss Classics. Very clear optics, good low light, etc. Day three one lens fogs up completely. Had to run into town to get a cheap pair of backups. Sent them into Zeisss. They did honor the warranty by "fixing" them. Next long hunt, midhunt the same problem. Fortunately I learned my lesson and had backups. Sent them back into Zeiss saying I wanted to upgrade, whatever deal they'd give me, but I didn't want an unreliable bino with my on a hunt. They "fixed" them again. The classics went on a shelf - I sometimes use them for backyard bird watching. Switched to Swaro's (which I told Zeiss I'd do) and never looked back. Look at the tests where they do actual acuity tests (with three-pronged E targets). Swaro always come out on top. Don't get me wrong - I still can't afford (and am saving for) a Swaro spotter. There's a reason why everyone is using green and black colors on they premium optics - Swaro is the flagship line and everybody knows it and is copying there style. If you can't come up with the scratch, you find the best lenses you can afford (hopefully with the help of an acuity test sheet - love the Cabelas stores for the 100 yard distances you can view them from). Btw, never got a dime from any manufacturer.

06-Dec-16
Ironbow, he thought it was "interesting" as well, and told them so. They offered him a little discount on a higher-end pair. He told them he was going to spend that money on Swaros, which he did...

06-Dec-16
10x42 is great all around. You can spot elk from a mile away, but won't be able to really make out more than the figure until you're closer. But they're perfect for pulling out while you're close and scanning. Think I'm going to get some 15x56 as well just to glass more in the off season.

06-Dec-16
For what it's worth they aren't necc. The best elk hunter I know doesn't own binos and I myself killed a pile of em before buying optics. That said, I like them and always have em now but they aren't nearly as important as some make em out to be. Good luck!

06-Dec-16
+1 otcWill

06-Dec-16
dyjack...Hope you get a tripod w/ those 15x

06-Dec-16
I'll agree that binocs aren't an absolute need, although there have been times I'm certainly glad I had them.

I use mine for more than just when I'm looking for living animals. As I posted earlier, most of the areas I hunt are pretty thick. I use mine extensively as I'm following a bloodtrail. I like being able to look through the downfall that I can't do sufficiently with just my eyes. There've been a couple instances where it was getting towards dark and I was contemplating backing out till morning since I hadn't heard the elk fall, and I certainly didn't want to bump him if he was still alive. I saw a patch of elk hair down through the timber in one case and an antler tine in the other that I wouldn't have seen with my naked eyes. Saved me a couple of sleepless nights.

06-Dec-16
8X is my preference for looking through timber

06-Dec-16
@ohiohunter definitely will. I used someone's this year and it was nice being able to see so well while scouting. Wouldn't be carrying them during my hunt though. Usually in thick stuff when I have a tag.

06-Dec-16
8.5 x 42 is just about right. =D

I will sit and glass from points, there may be times when a 10x might tell me more about the elk I'm watching.... I don't believe I've missed spotting any elk with the 8s.

The issues for me, I bowhunt only and I use them a good deal one handed, stalks and still hunting as well as glassing. Much harder to hold 10s steady without a rest. Secondly we hunt a fair amount in the wind. 8s are much steadier in the wind. You can get motion sick with 10s in the wind. Even 8s can be near impossible at times. Hard to beat 8.5 x 42 swaros for low light too.

I'd maybe jump up to 10s for a sheep/goat hunt and have a spotter along as well. But for DIY elk in 4 states now I've never felt undergunned with 8s.

I don't hunt without them, might as well leave my bow home too.....

06-Dec-16
The cost of swaros is insane. No doubt. However, if you can swing it.......its worth every penny. You will have them forever. It took me a lot to pull the trigger. I have no regrets. It aint worth it if you can't afford it, nothing is. If you have the money, you glass a LOT and spend a lot of time behind them they are so worth it.

06-Dec-16
"There is an optimal ratio for the exit pupil, I don't know it, I'm not that savy (think its 1:4). I want to say 10x42 and 8x32 are correct ratios. So 10x30, 8x25...etc are going against the grain.: You're on the right track but it's 5mm is the optimum exit pupil diameter.

So you would be optimally choosing binos something like this, 7x35, 8 x 40, 10 x 50 Etc. Someone previously said an 8x is going to gather more light than a 10x. Not necessarily so. If the exit pupil is less than 5mm, you won't get all the light that your eye can use. more than 5mm and your eye can't use it. For example an 8 x30 is not going to appear as bright in low light as a 10 x 50. Likewise a 10 x30 will not appear to be as bright in low light as an 8 x 40.

07-Dec-16
I agree that the 8.5 x 42s are pretty much the sweet spot unless you do a lot of glassing at distance

07-Dec-16
Good news is that Vortex is lowering the price on the Viper HD 10x42's for 2017 by 100 bucks. Should be able to buy a pair for under 500 now. Also, they are releasing a new pair of rangefinding binos as well. Called the FURY HD 10x42, with a RF of 1600 yds.

07-Dec-16
bb is correct . Brightness ( exit pupil ) can be calculated by dividing the power of the optics into the objective ( forward ) lens. The lens your eye looks into is the ocular lens. 5mm exit pupil is okay for us older hunters , but, young hunters eyes will benefit from an exit pupil up to 7mm. Their pupils will dilate to as much as 7 mm. But , with binoculars you need larger objective lenses to get to 7mm , and that increases the weight of those optics. Its usually a trade off between brightness and weight that we debate with exit pupil discussions.

But, fully multicoated lenses allow maximum light transmission , hence max brightness. So, expensive well ground glass with fully multicoated lenses will be brighter than cheaper glass without all the coatings. And , this is where we debate the trade off with the cost we are willing to spend on our optics. Good glass and coatings are expensive.

07-Dec-16
10x42 Leupold Acadia have been great for me. I have put them up against my friends Ziess, my eyes could not see the difference of 5 times the cost.

• Sitka Gear