six 04-Dec-16
Backpack Hunter 04-Dec-16
elkmtngear 04-Dec-16
t-roy 04-Dec-16
cnelk 04-Dec-16
elk yinzer 05-Dec-16
BOWNUTCO 05-Dec-16
04-Dec-16
Just wondering if others suffer from this, is so, what did you do to overcome it!

I'm not talking about target panic - I'm talking full out "buck Fever".

The only way I can explain it is when an elk comes in I get this HUGE rush of adrenaline. This does NOT happen with white tails here in MN - I've shot several and get excited but its nothing like putting an elk in front of me.

Typical Example that has happened several times: This year I had a nice bull come in - I cow called and all of the sudden he came over a small rise, through some thick brush, at about 40 yards. I drew my bow and as he approached everything went blurry, I got light headed and dizzy. He came up to about 20 yards - he still lives to pass on his genes.

Do others suffer from this? What the heck do you do?

04-Dec-16
Must admit I never got light headed and dizzy but elk sure are fun! Only problem is the archery season is so short. I will hunt whitetails untill mid-January so plenty of excitement left!

04-Dec-16
Keep after em. It will get better the more encounters you have. That's the only advise I have. My head turned to mush the first couple of elk I shot at. I couldn't even recall where my pine was or even seeing it for that matter. I remember cursing myself to sleep at night a handful of times.

I used to be so envious of the movie star elk hunters that were so calm cool and collected. Not only could they shoot the elk they would throw out a cow call to stop him at just the right time.

The last 2 elk I have had in range are both in the freezer. It will get better.

04-Dec-16
I agree, it will get better. My first couple deer I got so excited I don't remember picking a spot, or even seeing the pin on the vitals. Back in the day I would run a count down to the final shot in basketball....get a quality shot off with defense in 2-3 seconds, or shoot game winning free throws with time expired. Basically, anything to get the stress levels way up, and force the shot to count for something. Since that time I have applied that to my shooting at game. Every shot is the do or die shot, my whole season, success or failure rides on that one shot. After practicing like that for a while it really takes the pressure off when the real thing comes along. I still feel the rush, but it is manageable.

04-Dec-16
There's a lot of buildup that goes into an elk hunt...you try to imagine every scenario as you are training and practicing...and it seems like the moment of truth is there before you expect it sometimes.

Maybe some guys are like "ice" out there, but I get seriously excited with every encounter. Sometimes I just have to have a word in my head before I release...this Season, it was "Smooth". Most of the time, for me...the trembling starts after the shot ;)

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-Dec-16
5 of the 6 elk I have killed were spot and stalk. For me, I was more concerned with what my next move was going to be in order to get within range than worrying about the shot, so that kept me from getting rattled before the shot. I always get more of the shakes after the shot than before.

04-Dec-16
My excitement comes after the shot too.

When an elk is coming in, everything goes into 'slowmotion' and time just goes tick.....tock....tick....tock

Im not so sure about the 'short season' comment. Elk hunting packs more miles and fun in 30 days than WT hunting does in a few years

05-Dec-16
I blew my first ever shot at a bull because of it. I saw him coming from way too far out and the closer he came the more nervous I got. I missed at 50 yards when he was still working in closer. So dumb. The next day I got a slam dunk shot at one and I have been able to stay in hyperfocus mode just fine since. That said, a 350+ may very well screw me up in the head someday....

05-Dec-16
I believe it is attitude,,,,,,, you can't go out hunting elk, all lovey duvvey, then you in dream world!!!! change your attitude to,,,,,, they crapped in your Wheaties and they are going to do it again tomorrow if you don't close the deal!!! Even if they are across the canyon,,,, get after it!

• Sitka Gear