Mr.C 19-Dec-16
Dakota 19-Dec-16
Phil/VA 19-Dec-16
CurveBow 20-Dec-16
ben h 21-Dec-16
15-Dec-16

Tatersalad's embedded Photo
Got my bison earlier this week in SD with Norther Plains Outfitters. Almost got a complete pass thru at 25 yards. They truly are beautiful animals. Now for some late season pheasants.

MICHAEL

15-Dec-16
Congrats Michael! Stay warm out there!

15-Dec-16
Congrats...Some good eats there...

15-Dec-16
amazing! thanks for sharing

15-Dec-16
people have no idea how big those things are. tough to make a moose looks small but a big bison does it

15-Dec-16
That's a lot of prime table fare...Congratulations!

Best Wishes, Jeff

15-Dec-16
Congrats Michael...enjoy the trip!!!

Mark

15-Dec-16
I will be interested to hear how many pounds of meat you get from that animal....versus what the estimated live weight was.....looking for a %. I am down to my last package of bison meat, and I need to consider replacing it!!

15-Dec-16
So cool, I'd love to put a bison in the freezer...

15-Dec-16
Congratulations - one shot kill - wow! What type of BH? The coat on that critter looks gorgeous. Hope you are going hair on for the hide. I've got one and love it.

15-Dec-16
Big critter there ! Congrats !

15-Dec-16
Very well done

15-Dec-16
Awesome! God Bless men

15-Dec-16
One of my bucket list animals. Nice job.

15-Dec-16
Congrats! Can you give us a little info on your set up??

15-Dec-16
Congrats on a fine trophy.

What was your equipment setup for the hunt ? What was your shot distance? Did the herd circle your wounded/downed animal?

15-Dec-16
Congrats nice Buffalo

15-Dec-16
Awesome!! good job! Beautiful animal! Would love to hear more info

15-Dec-16
Great job. Darn huge beast!!!! Congrats

15-Dec-16
Shooting a Hoyt Spyder Tubo set at 55 pounds. My arrow was tipped with a 100'grain slick trick. Shot was 25 yards I was below the bull shooting up...the entrance wound was a foot lower and right behind the shoulder. The bull traveled about 300 yards and bedded down. The three bulls traveling with him pushed him around on ground a bit and than took of. The guide said he would weigh right at 1800 lbs....I pick up meat tomorrow....not sure how many pounds.

16-Dec-16
Good for you!

His face hair sure looks like it is windy!

Good luck, Robb

16-Dec-16
1800 pounds. imagine walking up on a pile of ten 180 pound whitetail bucks stacked on each other like cordwood. That is what you have there. Most people have no idea.

16-Dec-16
Awesome

16-Dec-16
If your guide said he would weigh 1800 lbs dressed he is full of it. Probably would weigh that alive but not gutted, skinned, legs, and head off. Looks to me like he would maybe weigh 700-800 lbs on the rail getting 350-400 lbs of boneless meat or about 500 lbs bone in. Give or take some pounds. I've cut up a lot of buffalo over the years but I'm also comparing it's size with hanging beef which is quite comparable. Nice Buff though and congrats! Great tasting meat that's for sure.

16-Dec-16
congrats !!

16-Dec-16
Butcher boy

No where in my post DID I SAY the guided said he weighed 1800 dressed. That was the live weight. I'm headed to the butcher to get the meat today and I'll let you know exactly how many pounds of boneless meat the bull yielded.

16-Dec-16
tater, did you draw a tag or how did that whole process work? Never really thought about hunting bison previously, but that looks pretty tasty.. could you provide some details on that aspect of the hunt?

thanks

16-Dec-16
Congrats Tatersalad - amazing animal! I would love to learn more about how and where to do an unguided Bison hunt. I don't see many posts about Bison hunts here.

16-Dec-16
Very cool! Lots of great meat there!!

16-Dec-16
As this was a ranch hunt. Any idea the age? Was it a trophy bull or the medium bull?

From there website Trophy Buffalo Bull Hunt - $5,680 Buffalo Bull Hunt (Medium Bull) - $4,780

16-Dec-16
Bou,, putting it in that perspective ...damn!!!!!!!

16-Dec-16
If that 1800 lbs bull isn't a trophy, I don't need to see what is. The size of that guy's melon alone will require serious trophy room clearance. And that fur - maybe have the hair-on hide made into a buffalo hide coat (a la Teddy Roosevelt). Aside from probably weighing about 30 lbs, it sure would keep you warm.

16-Dec-16
We used to antelope hunt near a rancher that raised a lot of bison and got to know him pretty well. He would have hunts that you could go on similar to this. The thing that I remember him telling us was that a good hit from an arrow would almost always put a big bison down quicker than a rifle.

Regarding their size, he told us he kept a few old bulls in the herd and didn't sell them off. He told us that they were pushing 2,400-2,500 lbs and I don't doubt him. You could easily pick them out, even from a long distance, in the herd because they stood out like a black mountain compared to the rest of the herd. Was pretty impressive.

Tatersalad, you are going to get some great eating from that big boy. We always bought a couple coolers full of bison meat each year from that rancher and my wife and daughter would tell me not to come home unless I did.

16-Dec-16
Tater, Your right, I'm sorry I didn't see anywhere stating live weight or dressed weight. I just assumed the guide was referring to dressed weight. If that was his guess on live weight then I would say he was pretty spot on.

17-Dec-16
We do Buffalo hunts also and he's not kidding when he said the other Bulls were pushing the one that was shot around. Once they smell blood they get very aggressive. I have heard they are either trying to help the wounded buffalo up or kill it off. Not sure which one is true.

17-Dec-16
Dakota X 2. Gobblers do the same thing.....

17-Dec-16
Cape Buffalo do the same thing when they smell blood. Our PH said that they are trying to push it away from them, as it makes the rest of the herd vulnerable to predators.

17-Dec-16
I heard they did it to keep the insects and flies away that will soon be attracted to a kill

17-Dec-16
Wow great looking bull. Congrats!

I am waiting to talk to him about a whitetail hunt next year. I might have to think about a buffalo.

17-Dec-16
I took a 5 year old 2000 pound bull in October. Completely filled my freezer. Had most of it made into hamburger. Some summer sausage, brats, steaks and ribs. I didn't post the picture because I took it with my .270. I have a video of it dropping like a rock.

17-Dec-16
bighorn, did u go to the same place? is this a ranch hunt with tags and high fence deal? maybe that is how all bison hunts are? i really dont know, just trying to learn..

thanks

17-Dec-16
Nice bull, congratulations!

17-Dec-16
Tater, what is your impression of the outfitter?

Congrats, BTW.:)

17-Dec-16
Good shot. Congrats.

17-Dec-16
Congratulations! Beautiful animal right there!!!!

17-Dec-16
Congrats!

17-Dec-16
600 POUNDS OF MEAT. HOPE YOU HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS. NICE,,,,,,,PAUL

18-Dec-16
Sweeeeeet!

I wonder if a guy could legally sell some meat and offset the cost for the hunt? I know you can't sell wild animals but if it's ranched maybe that's a different deal? Not everyone wants 600lbs of meat at one time either.

18-Dec-16
According to the butcher...who ground the entire bull including back straps I got 860 lbs of ground meat. The bull I harvested was estimated to be 10 years old.

Northern Plains Outfitters was a great experience. I would recommend them with confidence. Shannon works very hard to make sure you enjoy your trip.

18-Dec-16

According to the butcher...who ground the entire bull including back straps I got 860 lbs of ground meat. The bull I harvested was estimated to be 10 years old.

Northern Plains Outfitters was a great experience. I would recommend them with confidence. Shannon works very hard to make sure you enjoy your trip.

18-Dec-16
Ground the back strap?!?! Say it isn't so!!

18-Dec-16
Ground the entire thing!? Wow!

I only did about 45lbs of burger on mine this fall. The roasts, steaks and ribs have been incredible.

19-Dec-16
Holy Bull Buffalo! It weighed a lot more than I figured it would. My guess would be around 1000-1200 lbs dressed. Very nice yield.

19-Dec-16
860 of ground meat. Wow that's a lot of tacos there!!

19-Dec-16
way to go Mr....those birds are sure good eat n MikeC

19-Dec-16
Razorhead

We have found out when guiding Buffalo hunters the main thing is Broadhead and arrow placement. You want something that is going to go through that thick, shaggy hair as well as a very thick hide and their vitals are a lot lower than they look like they should be.

19-Dec-16
Great bull! I shot a cow and got about 359 pounds of fantastic meat.

20-Dec-16
Awesome bull, congratulations!

That's a lotta' burger! >>>>-------->

21-Dec-16

ben h's embedded Photo
ben h's embedded Photo
I had the opportunity to accompany my friend's 74 yo dad on an OIL bison hunt in the Book Cliffs UT this year which was a rifle kill, but relevant to the conversation. The attached photo, shows just how far down the vitals are. These things are tough too, this one soaked up 8 rounds from a 300 win mag before he tipped over; thank god one broke his front shoulder so he didn't run into a "hell hole".

Walking up to 10 deer is a good description of the task at hand after the kill. hard to imagine till you see it.

• Sitka Gear