GotBowAz 20-Dec-16
Kevin 20-Dec-16
Shiras 20-Dec-16
Elkaddict 20-Dec-16
Grubby 20-Dec-16
Cheesehead Mike 20-Dec-16
Grubby 20-Dec-16
17-Dec-16
I've been an iodine tablet user in the past and am thinking of purchasing a Sawyer Squeeze filter for future hunts. I've seen good reviews on here in the past, but was hoping to get some additional input., in particular related to the older "Mini" versus the newer model. Any Sawyer users? Thanks for the input.

17-Dec-16
I have used it while elk hunting. No complaints here. Did what it said it would. I have the 1 that came with 3 bags.

17-Dec-16
what is it used for ? what is it supposed to do ? Forrest

17-Dec-16
Water filter.

17-Dec-16
Been using it for the last couple years it works great.

17-Dec-16
It works great. God Bless

17-Dec-16

joehunter's embedded Photo
joehunter's embedded Photo
Used one this year in Co when we did Bivy hunts for a few days - worked well - they warn not to let them freeze

17-Dec-16
I don't use the squeeze bag. I mount the filter on the discharge hose of my water bladder. Then fill the bladder from a stream and drink through the filter. If I need to fill a cup or bottle with water I hang the bladder up then let gravity push water through the filter. It works well any way you use it.

17-Dec-16
Thanks guys. Joe, it looks like you are using the older model. Obviously you must not have had too many issues with it. Thanks for the feedback!

18-Dec-16
purchased in 2015 from Cabelas- I did buy one just before our hunt in Aug. 2016 that is blue in color. What is the difference?

18-Dec-16
Lots of good reviews on Youtube about them. Great filter and easy to use!

18-Dec-16
No difference in color between filters. It's just the wrap that is a different color

18-Dec-16
I have been using a regular sawyer squeeze the past 3 seasons elk hunting and don't see my self changing any time soon.

18-Dec-16
Iv used mine for about 21 days total so far it's worked flawlessly!

19-Dec-16
I've been using the Sawyer for a few years as well and personally I think all that squeezing can be a pain and kind of slow, especially if you want to fill several bladders and stock up a lot of water. Not to mention that your hands get wet and cold while you're doing it.

The Sawyer bladders are not very durable and I've had a couple of them start leaking at the seams and now they're junk. Then you have to remember to bring the filter into your sleeping bag with you so it doesn't freeze at night.

I still use the Sawyer filter when I'm on the move and need to fill one bladder but last year Elkaddict and I went back to using purification tablets more frequently when we're stocking up on water and it was a lot more convenient than using the Sawyer.

19-Dec-16
I don't use the bags as I have found them to be quite fragile. I do use it inline, between the bladder and bite valve. Works well for me.

19-Dec-16
I like the filter I have the water bottle. The freezing part is a bummer though, as I'm worried about it when the temp gets down there. According to their literature it can go from the best filter in the world to useless with a drop in temps. Other than that - big thumbs up

19-Dec-16
Used the squeeze heavily this year, worked great, switched to platypus bladders. You do need to keep the filter from freezing. I set it up with quick connects on a hose for next year.

19-Dec-16
Freezing is an issue with most mechanical filtration systems, like say, a Katadyn Hiker and others. None of them fare well if allowed to freeze solid. I know from experience! Actually the smaller size of the Sawyer cartridge makes it more convenient to keep from freezing when need be. Just place it in a pocket under your outer layers. They're also small enough and cheap enough to carry a spare, just in case.

20-Dec-16
Good point by Sticksender. Carrying a spare isn't a big deal because they are so small and light. Your spare can freeze and it won't be damaged so long as it was never used. If the filter is wet and then freezes the expanding water/ice messes up the filter element. I just keep the used one in the sleeping bag with me at night. No problem.

20-Dec-16
If your water source is nearby camp cant you just leave the filter down in the water? I assume there is a cap on it? This would or should keep it from freezing. I've never used a filter system as I generally jet boil all my water anyway but I could see the need in some cases.

20-Dec-16
How would you ever know if or when the filter freezes and stops properly filtering?

20-Dec-16
Marty, We used the regular Sawyer on our last moose hunt. Prior to that we used a Katydyn. I rigged the Sawyer so that it was a gravity system to keep plenty of water in camp. Our water source had a lot of sediment so we had to backwash regularly (about every 3 gallons), but it is quick and easy. I much preferred the Sawyer set up over the Katydyn, and 100x over the crappy taste of iodine.

The guy that I first learned about the Sawyer from was a Pacific Crest Trail hiker and he highly recommends them.

Agree with others about the squeeze bags, but with a few modifications you can get it set up so that works for you.

20-Dec-16
I have an inline, brand new in the box and a regular squeeze brand new in the box. If somebody wants a good deal on them message me.

20-Dec-16
Kevin makes a good point...if you freeze it and damage the filter you won't know. It will still pass water through it. I just try to use good judgement on wether it needs to be in my sleeping bag or not.

20-Dec-16
Yeah and more than once I've been all settled into my mummy bag on a cold mountain night and then it hits me... Crap, I forgot my sawyer out in my daypack! It's a pain if it's not within arm's reach...

At least other filters aren't (unknowingly) rendered ineffective if they freeze. They're fine after they thaw out.

20-Dec-16
I remember when I roll out of my bag and everything is covered in heavy frost

• Sitka Gear