Moultrie Mobile
Can anyone tell me some info about unit?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
mokan hunter 18-Dec-16
Aspen Ghost 18-Dec-16
Jaquomo 18-Dec-16
MTNRCHR 18-Dec-16
HUNT MAN 18-Dec-16
GaryB@Home 18-Dec-16
Chief 18-Dec-16
earlyriser 18-Dec-16
Don K 18-Dec-16
LKH 18-Dec-16
elkman52 18-Dec-16
grasshopper 18-Dec-16
Teeton 18-Dec-16
Fulldraw1972 18-Dec-16
huntperch 18-Dec-16
wyobullshooter 18-Dec-16
Don K 18-Dec-16
T Mac 18-Dec-16
Aspen Ghost 18-Dec-16
greg simon 18-Dec-16
ElkNut1 19-Dec-16
LINK 19-Dec-16
ElkNut1 20-Dec-16
Teeton 20-Dec-16
greg simon 20-Dec-16
elkstabber 21-Dec-16
stick n string 21-Dec-16
Dwayne 24-Dec-16
stick n string 24-Dec-16
Huntcell 24-Dec-16
wyobullshooter 24-Dec-16
BULELK1 24-Dec-16
Ki-ke 24-Dec-16
Dwayne 24-Dec-16
wyobullshooter 24-Dec-16
Dwayne 24-Dec-16
wyobullshooter 24-Dec-16
Mule Power 24-Dec-16
Jaquomo 24-Dec-16
Mule Power 26-Dec-16
stick n string 26-Dec-16
oake 26-Dec-16
wyliecoyote 29-Dec-16
stick n string 30-Dec-16
GaryB@Home 30-Dec-16
ELKMAN 01-Jan-17
Manager 01-Jan-17
Teeton 01-Jan-17
18-Dec-16

18-Dec-16
You might need to add a little more information.....

18-Dec-16
Its a pretty good unit if you're where the elk are, not so good if you're not.

18-Dec-16
Thats the same unit I tell everyone that asks me where I hunt...

18-Dec-16
I have 18 points for that unit! Hard to draw

18-Dec-16
My unit? Above average.

18-Dec-16
Hunted it about 3 years ago and it's not bad if you can get far enough away from the other hunters. As you can see by my attached photo, there are some really big bulls there. This bull wasn't as good as 5-6 others I got into, but it was the second day and I was getting impatient. Good luck - if you need specifics, PM me.

18-Dec-16
That is the only unit on the planet that has 350+ bulls behind every tree....

18-Dec-16
Huge tag reduction may happen this year.

18-Dec-16
This is a tough crowd.

18-Dec-16
nobody knows what to do with themselves during the off season LOL

18-Dec-16
If you draw, hunt the lost lake and bald mountain area.

18-Dec-16
If you draw that tag, don't listen to grasshopper! I did once and didnt find one elk in the Manhattan unit. What I did find was lots of cougar. I guess that was why there was no elk. It was a scary hunt for this young guy.

18-Dec-16
Wow

18-Dec-16
I thought there were more near elk mountain this year in the dark stuff. Hopefully everyone and there brother dosent read this and go there next year.

18-Dec-16
Not to worry huntperch. Everyone and their brother isnt going there next year...my brother's going, but I'll just go to my usual place. On the plus side, I should have my area to myself since everyone else will be with you and my brother.

18-Dec-16
Teeton,

Where you near the burn area ?

18-Dec-16
Between the beetle kill, recent fires and increasing wolf population I would look to go elsewhere!

18-Dec-16
Only 251 more days

18-Dec-16
Keep it up guys, I'm getting some good info here! I was just wandering about that very unit.

19-Dec-16
Mike, as hunting any unit new to us we all have questions & concerns, what are yours?

For instance, I like to know what terrain is like such as steepness, dark timber, is there open country for glassing as well. Where are the roads & trails. Where may elk head to after being pressured. One scouting trip in the new area can generally speak volumes so I try to look it over at least once if at all possible. Once there scouting I look for potential camping areas, drinking water if it may be needed. I also like to know how far the nearest town is for resupplying if need be. Maybe your questions are similar?

ElkNut1

19-Dec-16
Elknut his questions start and end with?. I will tell you if there's one thing I've learned about that unit it's this, there's a hunter behind every tree, elk are nearly impossible to find and the elk dont talk ever. Find the elk and youve found the hunters, good luck.

20-Dec-16
Link, yes hunting public lands & it's normal to find elk & hunters in the same vicinity but it's equally as possible to find elk where there are no hunters without traveling unrealistic distances. I like thinking positive instead of negative, it puts things in perspective for me & offers hope. (grin) Put your boots to the ground & glass to your eyes & good things can happen! Above all Have A Positive Attitude!!!!

ElkNut1

20-Dec-16
Paul thanks for taking all the fun out of this thread. :(

Don K. There was not a bush to be found.. Like they were ripped right out..

20-Dec-16
Teeton, I think I might have hunted the same area!

21-Dec-16
Be careful in that unit. I heard that Bigfoot lives there.

21-Dec-16
Im fine with my unit. I mean, sure, theres better units out there. But my unit is the one i have and it produces just fine, i believe...............;^)

24-Dec-16
I wonder why more lurkers don't post here...

24-Dec-16
Cuz they dont like to have fun, joke around? What was the question Dwayne? What would ur answer be? Yikes....

24-Dec-16
because they've over utilized there unit and went blind!

24-Dec-16
Dwayne, I have a question:

Please provide the answer.

24-Dec-16

And he had no --------------->

Good luck, Robb

24-Dec-16
Mokan

Apologies for all these guys that are of absolutely no help. Some fools just LOVE to bust chops every chance they get.

I hunt that unit every year. Meet me at the airport, at the rental car counter. On 9/7. Bring all your elk hunting gear. I'll take care of the food. Just buy your tag.

Sheesh! Some guys......

24-Dec-16
I think Aspen Ghost said it all. sticknstring: provide more information about what you are looking for. wyobullshooter: provide more information about what you are looking for.

So, we all had a few yuks at the posters expense. Guess if that makes you happy... It is one thing giving crap to the regulars but I just don't recall seeing the OP before.

24-Dec-16
"wyobullshooter: provide more information about what you are looking for."

We provided as much info as the OP, which pretty much sums up why we posted what we posted. Lighten up and quit being such a grinch. Good grief!

24-Dec-16
Not a grinch, just would cut the newbie some slack. Wish I could lighten up a bit...guess I just like a cold beer too much. Merry Christmas all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24-Dec-16
Actually, we did cut him/her some slack. No one was malicious, just some good-hearted fun.

BTW, I'll see your beer and raise you one (or three). Merry Christmas to all as well!!!

24-Dec-16
Damn out of staters ruined that unit after Eastman's ran their mouths. It ain't worth a damn these days but we still drive out from Pa every year for old times sake.

24-Dec-16
Compared to what just went on in the Kansas forum - before Pat intervened and deleted it all - this was like giving mokan hunter an ice cream cone and a nice glass of Kool Aid.

And Huntin' Fool is still rating that unit as the top trophy elk unit in Mississippi. Not sure why...?

26-Dec-16
The undisputed top unit here where I live is any one you can draw. On the upside it's only a 4 hour drive from Pittsburgh and there are 400 inchers. Shhhh

26-Dec-16
...fact....

26-Dec-16
Well I'll say this its no walk in the park

29-Dec-16
I asked about hunting tule elk in Wyoming and nobody helped me at all !! How comes the M. Hunter gets all this great inside info ??

Hurt feelings in cali....

30-Dec-16
...meep meep.....

30-Dec-16
Mr Wylie Coyote, you are not shunned for your actions or your quarry but for your choice of ACME gear.

01-Jan-17
If it's any good, and you were actually ABLE to get a tag... The Huntin Fool ruined it! That I can guarantee...

01-Jan-17
ELKMAN….. is 101% correct on that !!!

01-Jan-17
I'm enjoying this thread.. :)

• Sitka Gear