Jaquomo 20-Dec-16
Linecutter 20-Dec-16
TreeWalker 20-Dec-16
12yards 20-Dec-16
drycreek 20-Dec-16
txhunter58 20-Dec-16
Fuzzy 22-Dec-16
19-Dec-16
Lets say you can age your fresh elk for 9 days before it spoils. If you freeze it after 7, does that mean when you dethaw it yo have to eat it in 2 days?

How does time unfrozen relate from fresh to thawed (from frozen) and to how long after it is cooked you can eat it?

19-Dec-16
I have aged, frozen and thawed, and re-froze my elk meat without any ill effects.

19-Dec-16
I have too but I am curious if there is a "cumulative" total that one could extend.

19-Dec-16
The aging process is enzymes in the meat breaking down the tissue. Enzymes are a form of protein or a part of the protein if I recall. Once broken down the meat cannot be "reset" so to speak.

My understanding freezing does not kill enzymes, but puts them into a dormancy.... when the meat reaches a temperature where they become active again, aging process continues. Under the right temps and humidity the aging can go on weeks, even months and still be good (if not great) meat. Heat OTOH can destroy or render them harmless. Blanching some vegetables does, a process done for many reasons when canning if I recall. All canned meat I'm aware of is "cooked" as well, higher and longer temps than with most vegetable/fruit canning. (ok, it's a bit more complicated than that.... always use approved canning procedures WRT what it is you are canning as they can vary from product to product.)

Spoiling OTOH is caused by bacteria, little critters that eat the material and leave behind a nasty "byproduct" some highly poisonous. Rotting. That is what the bad smells are, and various bad toxins all the way up to botulism. Enzymes are not bacteria.

Some bacteria is killed by freezing but not enough to consider it any kind of reliable sterilization option. Again, heat.... hot enough and long enough will kill the bacteria.... but not destroy many of the toxins already produced as with botulism.

Fuzzy is Da Man on this stuff. I just have studied meat aging as well as some canning processes and issues over the last several years. That and stayed at a Holiday Inn once.....

20-Dec-16
Thanks and that is what I thought - that said it seems to me that once thawed I have longer until meat spoils then I had before I froze it. Often I dethaw meat and cook it 5 days later and I do not think I could have let it age 5 more days initially.

Also after cooking also gets me - I think it kills the original enzymes - but after a few days new stuff takes over and spoils meat. What I mean is if I have meat I know is about to spoil (1-2 days) if I cook it I extend its life by a few days. Do you agree?

20-Dec-16
dethaw??

After you defreeze something, it is thawed...

So if you dethaw something wouldn't it be frozen...?

20-Dec-16
I once tried to de-copulate with a young woman I woke up next to after a wild New Year's party. Didn't work....

20-Dec-16
If you cook it, it can extend it at least a week if kept in the fridge, you can also refreeze it if you want after cooked with no ill effects when you thaw it out. DANNY

20-Dec-16
Each freeze/thaw cycle destroys additional cells and that will degrade the quality of the meat. Is best to eat a steak or roast fresh or only thaw once. Burger is a bit different as the grinding destroyed lots of cells.

20-Dec-16
LOL! Dethaw. That's a new one! I've heard unthaw before, but not dethaw.

20-Dec-16
I think Lou's post deserves its own thread. If we can find the answer to that one. I could go back years............

20-Dec-16
I have not done it, but had heard people say that if a particular animal is tough, let it thaw out and age a few days in the fridge before you cook it and it helps. That could be a year after you put it in your freezer

22-Dec-16
I typed a reply to this but it doesn't appear. TD I am no expert on these things. I'd say "butcherboy" is the best authority on meat care and butchering (go figure) .

As for resetting the clock, no freezing doesn't re set spoilage, or aging. It does (I believe) permanently halt the enzyme tenderizing process, it temporarily stops bacterial reproduction but doesn't remove any toxins produced (if any) and it doesn't significantly reduce bacterial count. It MAY kill or inactivate some parasites, if any are present, depending on the temperature reached and the duration. Freezing as a parasite reduction treatment, in pork, and in sushi-grade seafood, is a food industry treatment process, and should be left to the professionals who have the training and equipment to monitor the process.

• Sitka Gear