20-Dec-16

BULELK1's Link
Let the 2017 Games begin! haha

Enjoy

Good luck, Robb

20-Dec-16
Thanks Robb, that time year J. C.

20-Dec-16
Max, max, and max! Could this be the year?

20-Dec-16
Proposed change for leftover tags? What was/is the "inequity" of the existing sales process?

20-Dec-16
They want to go back to the old way that they use to do and have a leftover drawing. I guess people that had slow fingers or couldn't access the site because they were at work don't feel the present system is fair to them. It sounds like this drawing is cut and dried the way the book reads and they'll probably start charging the application fee that they have dropped with the present system and make more money doing it by drawing.

20-Dec-16
I was looking at the Antelope regs and thought I was looking at the Elk regs and just about crapped my pants.

Not sure about how I feel about the proposed leftover changes. I don't want to dump points on a leftover tag... Hopefully they won't take points for them.

20-Dec-16
Thanks for the heads up! Been looking for these.

20-Dec-16
Anyone know what date the 2015 Harvest Report came out or know when 2016 will be out?

20-Dec-16
Thank you sir!

20-Dec-16
While the current system has worked for me, last July I had gotten to the pay part when I got dropped. By the time I was back it was too late. Maybe a draw will work better.

21-Dec-16
Where is the proposed change to 2017 leftover draw located????

21-Dec-16
On the front page of the 2017 nr app document.

21-Dec-16
Not sure how this will format-----

LEFTOVER LICENSES The Department will be proposing changes to the leftover license process for 2017. The Department is proposing to conduct a leftover drawing for elk, deer and antelope limited quota licenses remaining after the initial limited quota drawing. The change to a leftover drawing will address comments the Department has received from customers regarding the inequity of the leftover sales process. The Department will be taking public input on this change through the regulation process. Please refer to the Department’s website for information on the 2017 proposed elk, deer and antelope leftover drawing as it becomes available.

Good luck, Robb

29-Dec-16
My preferred unit is a General area and I noted that for 2017 the Limitations have changed from "Any Elk" to "Antlered Elk". Since the 2017 regulations are not fully out (or am I missing something?), I noted in the 2016 regulations, section 3 says that "archers with a general elk license may only hunt in those hunt areas... and may take any elk." I take this to mean that in the archery season (with additional archery license) I can still shoot any elk, cow, spike, or bull. Is that correct? If so, is there any chance that they would change that language in the final revision of the 2017 regs?

Thanks for your help! Dave

29-Dec-16
No dgildy. I had a similar situation this year and the general tag season went from any elk to antlered elk. I called F&G HQ and they said antlered only in archery season.

29-Dec-16
Thanks for the reply. That sucks- maybe I need to look at a different unit. I am a newbie, DIY elk hunter and I just want to have a chance at any elk. I hunted this area in 2014 and didn't get an elk, but there were plenty there.

30-Dec-16
"No dgildy. I had a similar situation this year and the general tag season went from any elk to antlered elk. I called F&G HQ and they said antlered only in archery season."

Idyll, I'm not doubting for a second what you're saying is true. There's been a couple times I've called and asked for clarification and received "bogus" info. Bottom line is the information you received was wrong. Problem is, when you call G&F, you speak to people in either the call center or front desk. They may or may not know the correct answer.

Whatever limitations are given in Section 2, those are for the regular season. Whatever is specified in Section 3 is in effect during the special archery season. Here's a couple examples of how they differ:

Assume area "x" is a general area. During the regular season, in it's "Limitations" column it states "antlered only", or "spikes excluded". Those limitations are in effect for the regular season, regardless of what weapon you chose...rifle, muzzleloader, or bow.

However, during the special archery season for area "x", Section 3 is in effect. As long as the hunter has a valid general elk license, and valid archery license, that hunter may take any elk during the special archery season...cow, calf, spike, or branch antlered bull...regardless of what limitations are listed in Section 2.

Being able to shoot any elk in a general area during the special archery season was the case in 2016. That may or may not be the case in 2017. Although dates rarely change, quotas and limitations can, and do. Make darn sure you check the hard copy regs when they come out to see if there have been any changes for 2017.

FWIW, if anyone has questions for G&F, other than just general info, ask to speak to someone in law enforcement rather than relying on the guys/gals at the front desk. They certainly have good intentions, but they don't have the final say. If it's anything that's open to interpretation, it's always a good idea to ask for the information in writing.

30-Dec-16
Rob brings up a good point. When you call Cheyenne you get people who don't always know especially in other parts of the state like mine in the Northwest corner. I remember a couple of years ago I talked to someone that had never even been in my part of the state and could hardly wait to see Yellowstone some day. Call the local district office for better info.

30-Dec-16
I also double checked with the gal that reprinted my license in Jackson and she told me the same thing and that was the regional office for my hunt. The way it reads is the way you explain it and it does say "any elk" in section 3.

That's a bummer, cause my dad could have and would have easily killed a cow. I figured hearing the same thing from two different people was enough to make up my mind that I was interpreting the regs wrong, and that's why I asked two people.

30-Dec-16
That sucks, Ike! Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you hunt during the regular season, not archery season?

30-Dec-16
No, I hunted the archery season initially with my dad. I went back in November to another unit to try and fill my tag on a cow. That hunt lasted two days. I found the elk. They were all down on the edge of the private and I was going to have to hike it uphill 3.5 miles to get it out so I went to Nebraska instead and shot 4 white tail 300 yards from the road.

31-Dec-16
I agree with Rob. Everyone is not going to just randomly call G&F to get clarification on what is actually pretty clear in Section 3. Legally, the written document is going to trump information relayed via phone from G&F.

Having said that, I don't blame you guys for playing it cautiously in that scenario, once the call was made.

31-Dec-16
"Legally, the written document is going to trump information relayed via phone from G&F.".... unless your in Utah! That's Exactly what the folks associated with shooting a Bighorn on the Nebo unit did. A phone call to a biologist on the opposite end of the state gave them conflicting information and they got away with it even though a 5 second Google search will bring up the written policy.

01-Jan-17
When the final elk unit regs come out, I just go by what the unit restrictions are in the last column.

Like Gen tag Any elk or some say Gen tag no spikes or once and awhile it will say some thing different like no ???? after date xx or only on National Forest ect....

Good luck, Robb

01-Jan-17
YZF, if sounds like maybe the written law was maybe more stringent in your case, and the "bad" information given was less stringent. I can see them "getting away with it" in that case. The situation talked about above is opposite.

Technically, the written law still applies, but I can see some leeway given when wrong information led one to break the law. I have no idea whether there was some funny business or not.

01-Jan-17
You should look into what he's talking about in Utah because there was more than "some funny business" going on that led to that major violation that the DWR let slide.

02-Jan-17
Thanks all for helping to clarify this.

Dave

• Sitka Gear