Brotsky 20-Dec-16
HUNT MAN 20-Dec-16
otcWill 20-Dec-16
grossklw 20-Dec-16
petedrummond 20-Dec-16
joehunter 20-Dec-16
petedrummond 20-Dec-16
20-Dec-16
Myself and a friend are looking for a DIY spot-n-stalk archery antelope for fall of 2017, I'm not interested in sitting a waterhole even though I'm aware my success rate would go up substantially, I can sit and do nothing here in Wisconsin. I was successful on a DIY P&Y elk this last fall with minimal assistance other than an elk101 course. My big question is how do you go about scouting long range such as google earth/maps etc for antelope habitat?? Or is it just easier to get boots on the ground once you get to the hunt area? Coming from WI, leaning towards SD as it doesn't appear to be as complicated as WY with reg's, but am open to ideas if anyone has ideas on a 0 point WY unit that you'd think would be better than SD OTC which is good for basically the entire state.

20-Dec-16
Map out several places on google earth, get out there put boots on the ground and find sign. Don't over look trail cams on water and fence crossings.

20-Dec-16
Be aware that the population here in SD is down significantly from where it wasin the mid to late 2000's. A good hunt can still be had but you'll need to work for it.

20-Dec-16
Antelope country is full of roads for the most part. The more ground you can cover in a day the better! Pick a unit and start looking!

20-Dec-16
WY has a silly number of goats. Check draw stats, pick a 0 pt unit and just go. You'll find plenty

20-Dec-16
Looks like I'm leaning towards WY now haha! All of the info helps a bunch, I'll start my research on 0 point units and start looking, thanks!

20-Dec-16
Its not that easy. I have hunted wy since the 70s and populations can be very volatile. Very few goats last year around newcastle . Way down. Lots near buffalo but that can change. Zero points usually mean little access to public land. A lot of public land is landlocked by the ranchers and no you cant walk across their land to access even in the corners. I have done all this and boots on the ground means paying a trespass fee or going with an outfitter. Talk to the local wy biologists about populations and then go out next spring and find a place. This can be hard to do. Coffee shops and bars are a good place to start. Most of the towns are so small they dont even have a chamber of commerce. If you do diy you need all the maps forest service blm county plat books and the whole shebang.

20-Dec-16
Get the land ownership chip for Garmin GPS - I would never do a western hunt with out it! Much of what you see on the map as public land has no legal access. State land that is leased by ranchers can be difficult. They frown on outsiders using it. And then you have the occasional land owner that will claim you are not legally on public ground and try to kick you off. Know exactly where you are at all times - makes it a much more enjoyable hunt!

20-Dec-16
Not only that but the public roads on the map get closed by ranchers. Been there. Is it legal? Good luck the rancher lived there. You don't. Call the sheriff and see who wins. A lot of the sheep ranchers are basque and have been there since the range wars. Good luck.l

• Sitka Gear