Tilzbow 20-Jan-17
NvaGvUp 20-Jan-17
willliamtell 21-Jan-17
Garbo 21-Jan-17
20-Dec-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Here you go, everyone.

WSF will also be sending out an e-mail blast on this tomorrow.

I've hiked this course a lot and it's the perfect course for a weighted backpack trail race.

If we get a snowstorm, even better!

Temperatures on the course at race time could range from single digits to a bit above freezing. Plan accordingly.

This race is Tony Mudd's idea and he's put a lot of thought into ensuring everything goes well.

We hope to see you there!

21-Dec-16
Thanks for the follow-up Kyle.

Should be fun!

Good luck, Robb

21-Dec-16
Sounds like fun Kyle!

21-Dec-16
Would love to do this!

21-Dec-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
On a side note, Tony was up on the mountain yesterday not far from the race course glassing for deer for a friend. He spotted a coyote, so started calling. The 'yote went behind a bush, then Tony noted a Mountain Lion bedded about 50 yards above the coyote. He hightailed it up and around a little knob and there was the lion, standing up at 15 yards. I'd have probably messed my shorts in that situation, but not Tony.

Final score: Tony 1, Mountain Lion 0!

21-Dec-16
OK. all you folks, get this!

Dr. Bob DiGrazio, past Chairman of the WSF Board, just contacted me to tell me he's putting up $500 prizes for the winners in both the Men's and Women's categories!

YOWZA!

22-Dec-16
Outstanding! What ever happened to the senior division idea?

22-Dec-16
We'll do divisions as soon as we can. Once we get enough participants, divisions will make a lot of sense.

This year, however, we were a little late in getting the word out. We're hoping to get 25 entries. Given that, divisions really don't make much sense.

We'd need two -three times that to justify divisions. But my guess is we'll get there sooner rather than later.

29-Dec-16
More prizes!

In addition to the $500 cash prizes for the winner in each division, Mountain Ops is giving us $750 in gift cards, Kifaru is donating two backpacks, and Sitka has said they will also be offering a prize!

06-Jan-17
We have guys coming down from the YUKON to race in this event!

Here's the latest promo piece.

Look at all of the great prizes!

This promo piece, however, omits the reality that given the back-to-back-to-back-to- back big storms we've had here in Reno the past few days, the trail is likely to be covered in deep snow which covers a sheet of ice, which, given the recent weather forecasts, is also likely to be very sloppy and muddy in places.

I love it!

Register! Let's see what you're made of!

06-Jan-17

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

10-Jan-17
Not registered yet for the WSF Backpack Trail Race?

Tony hiked the course yesterday afternoon and videoed the first part of the hike.

A flooded creek right off the bat, then ice-crusted snow for well over two miles, uphill, in the tall timber!

What a blast! Register and get a memory that will last a lifetime!

20-Jan-17
Kyle,

How'd this turn out? Good attendance and horrible trail conditions? Lots of fun?

20-Jan-17
The race was big hit. We only had 16 people, which is about what we expected, but LOTS of other people told they were going to do it next year. We got the word out too late this year to get better numbers.

The course was ~ 5.5 miles, mostly on a small, snowy trail with 1,200' of elevation gain and loss. The men carried 45 lb packs and the first three finishers RAN the entire course. The winning time was 1:14:52, which blew both Tony and me away.

21-Jan-17
Wow, 1200 feet gain/loss with 50 lb packs, running the whole way, and some icy conditions to boot, all in an hour and a quarter. I know who I want hauling my meat out - 4 loads in a morning - no problemo! My knees would be saying 'huh?' Maybe have a fast-hike participation award (say 2 hours or less for some schwag) for us mere mortals.

21-Jan-17
I was able to help Tony and the gang with the race, also got to meet Kyle. I thought the race went very well for the first one. What a great new event to go along with the show.

• Sitka Gear