lawdy 24-Dec-16
TSI 24-Dec-16
butcherboy 24-Dec-16
coyote hunter 24-Dec-16
Treefarm 24-Dec-16
23-Dec-16
From SCI:

Quebec to Ban Sport Hunting of Caribou in 2018

Quebec’s Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks (MFFP) has announced that Quebec will suspend sport hunting of caribou indefinitely starting in 2018. This news comes after public demands from First Nations peoples in the province, including the Innu, Cree, Inuit and Naskapi, to end all sport hunting of the migratory Leaf River Herd, which has declined considerably over the last several years. 739 hunting licenses will be issued for the trophy hunt in Zone 23 West in 2017, according to a press release issued on December 21.

The press release states, “Sport hunting of the George River herd was closed in 2012 due to the significant decline in numbers. Since then, the Leaf River herd has been the only one to sustain sport hunting and Aboriginal harvesting in Québec. According to an inventory carried out in the summer of 2016, Leaf River numbers have also continued to decline and the herd now comprises less than 199,000 animals.”

As readers know, the population was thought to be around 380,000 animals as recently as fall of 2014.

Outfitters in Zone 23 West say that they have not had any opportunity to respond to the ban as yet. Alain Tardiff of Leaf River Lodge (www.leafriverlodge.com) tells us, “Right now we are asking a lot of questions but getting very few answers. We intend to meet with the Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks sometime soon, but we don’t know when that will be. For some of us, it is 30 years of hard work going up in smoke.”

Anyone with a Quebec-Labrador caribou on their wish list will want to contact an outfitter right away, as 2017 may be the last opportunity to hunt these animals for the foreseeable future (no hunting opportunities exist in Labrador).

23-Dec-16
I am Jack Hume , I want to say how disappointed I am in this decision.I started guiding caribou hunts in 1972 and then passed it on to Richard and Amanda who made such an great effort in maintaining The Reputation of Jack Hume Adventures , Richard was accompanying me when he was only 12 years old and my dream was one day that he would take it over. I was even looking forward to one day his sons Sawyer and Seth would follow in his footsteps , making it 3 generations. The Outfitters during the fall hunt are taking only a very limited number of caribou, the Winter Hunt was out of control and there have been many horror stories of caribou killed and left on the side of the road, the territory was just too large for the Game Wardens to properly monitor...The other problem was the Wolf population is out of control , hunters should have been allowed to purchase a licence and shoot them. Also the Native people have to insure that only a limited number of animals are taken each year , in an article I just read where one Native was bragging that he shot 25 caribou this fall, he is not married and has no kids to support , it was common knowledge that a case of beer would get you a caribou. Other,s say they shoot 5-6 animals each winter for their family's , perhaps that number should be reduced also. I believe each Band should issue a limited number of tags to each family and enforce that no caribou are taken without such a tag. Hopefully the Caribou will make a quick recovery and and in a few years Jack Hume Adventures will once again fill hunters dreams.

23-Dec-16
That same abuse by some native hunters is also an impact on moose herds is many areas,Better native conservation measures need to be implemented for sure,Non natives buying wild game only promotes over harvest.

23-Dec-16
Similar issues in Alaska. From their standpoint, as it's a major protein source, they really could care less about folks from other areas who they see as a waste of the resource even while some unscrupulous individuals waste animals/meat. Waste is frowned on, especially by the elders, but nothing is done to sanction anyone and everyone is tight-lipped about offenders.

I had a patient up where I'm at blatently admit to me that he goes into grazing winter herds after freeze up and kills 30-40 with semi-automatic weapons and just leaves them there and takes 2 home at a time on his sled and leaves the rest to freeze on the ice for the winter since it saves him money not having to have 3 freezers for his yearly meat and saves him hunting time/snow machine gas. He admitted when I asked, that he loses nearly 1/2 of the meat to birds/foxes/wolves/bears and the eventual rot from the thaw from over-harvest.

A colleague reported personally seeing two guys chasing a herd on a single snow machine and firing randomly into the herd from a moving snow machine with an AR-15, hitting at least 3 animals and only dropping one, which they took.

Up here, 11,000 animals/yr are taken by locals and 600/yr by out-of-area hunters, but the out-of-area hunter's season was closed and the daily limit of 5 per person for the locals was not touched.

If you ask them, it's completely justified and they have utter disgust for out-of-state hunters who they view as simply there to kill the animals for their antlers and many of those stereotypes have unfortunately been fueled by the reality of hunters not only not keeping any of the meat for themselves (donating), but also donating meat that was not fit for consumption due to poor meat preservation techniques. If you see someone come, kill an animal, and only take the antlers home, and donate rotten meat to the locals... You can see how stereotypes are formed. It's unfortunate.

Still, a double standard is applied, but indigenous populations get the benefit of the doubt.

To play Devil's advocate, it's something to consider, that if you're a man with a wife and 6 kids (common family size up here), and caribou is your primary protein source, and you have a grandma or two living with you, and your sister is a widow with 6 kids, etc etc, it's nothing to kill 30 caribou in a year to feed those in your family that can't hunt for themselves.

Sorry if I hijacked. Sorry to hear about this as it disaffects a lot of people, the hunters the least really, even more so the people who's lives revolve around the hunting of these animals, like Richard and his family. It's really sad.

23-Dec-16
I was always confused why the native people are not more active and proactive in conservation.Here there's no reporting of big game harvested and it handcuffs wildlife officials not knowing how many animals have been taken this over harvest in areas is a real problem.Personally I counted 26 gut piles of moose in one area just on the Rd in one month all after the moose had yarded for winter.some moose were left to the coyotes as they were too far off the Rd to retrieve.

23-Dec-16
Don't get me started on the native thing. The native people of MB are very proud that they are outbreeding the "white" people. It is very sad because there are so many great native people, and unfortunately a good number of very rotten ones that do a whole lot of damage. I was elk hunting this fall and a great native hunter that hunts with a longbow and takes an elk a year regretfully admitted a nephew of his who had shot 25 deer already, and this was before Sep 9th. Some rotted, some were sold, and some he gave away. You see the facebook posts, the piles of dead animals, the pride that THEY can do something the rest of us can't. It's a source of pride for them, and it's twisted. Very very sad for both the rest of the public and the animals.

The crazy thing is that the laws are going the opposite way. Animal populations are crashing, and the government is now giving metis the same rights! Add another few hundred thousand city people who go out of control because they were suddenly given a license to kill. It's not a pretty picture up here in Manitoba. Amazing it hasn't come to a civil war yet. Hunting is almost the least of the issues, though it is tops for me ;)

23-Dec-16
We're all human beings. Way, way, WAY past time to abandon the absurd notion that there should be two sets of laws for different people based on who your ancestors were. Enough of that. One set of laws, regardless of your race.

24-Dec-16
Npaull, I agree with your post. Also, if they can kill at will and want the exclusive rights to the land and it's wildlife, end the monthly checks. Truly live the traditional lifestyle.

24-Dec-16
I'm almost certain when the treaties were signed 200 plus yrs ago they didn't have 4x4 trucks,Atv,freezer trucks,helicopters,high powered rifles scoped,winches,And the Internet to market moose meat!Just sayin

24-Dec-16
Agree completely APauls, npaull, lawdy, TSI

24-Dec-16
We are supposed to hunt in Manitoba with Munroe Lake next fall. It's not looking good up there either. I'm hoping they make a decision about what they are going to do soon.

24-Dec-16
This isn't about a precipitous decline in caribou numbers. I recall the Ministry had a collared caribou Study that could shed light. Mortality from sport hunting is nonsense. Bulls taken out of a population do not seriously decline herd population. Is it wolves, predation and thrill killing newborns? Stressed pregnant cows chased by wolves?

Who didn't see this coming when just a few years ago Tutilick kept all those deposits and "went out of business". All along it has been that natives wanted "outsiders" from killing caribou. I say, don't bite the hand that feeds you. Crown cheques and subsidies to Native communities comes from "outsiders"

• Sitka Gear