Dries 01-Jan-17
Dries 01-Jan-17
Wapitidung 02-Jan-17
Russell 02-Jan-17
Mathewsshooter1 02-Jan-17
LBshooter 02-Jan-17
Mule Power 02-Jan-17
26-Dec-16
I am looking into some rain gear for Newfoundland, More specifically at either Cabelas Band Rain Suede or going with the Helly Hansen Impertech II? Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

26-Dec-16
Helly Hansen Impertech ii bibs and jacket...I would also bring a lighter set of rain gear, especially a jacket.

Take care Mike

26-Dec-16
Between those two, go Impertech. The Rain Suede WILL "wet out". I've done Newfoundland a half dozen times. The first time with Cabelas MT050 and it never did dry out. The Helly Hansen will serve you well there. I've also had great luck with First Lite Rain Gear and any of Sitka's offerings. (Cold Front, Storm Front namely)

26-Dec-16
Seems like the guides live in the HH on the rock. I liked something a bit quieter and breathes better. Sitka cloud burst worked well for me this year. I also packed my dew point a few days.

26-Dec-16
I'd do the Helly Hansen or one of the new lightweight laminate goretex jackets offered by any of the better brands. I personaly like the new military gen III ecwcs. Either way, Neither will saturate. God Bless

26-Dec-16
Make sure your rain jacket has pitzips! HH will likely work if you aren't doing much hiking. I'd also bring along a pair of Sitka/Kuiu.

26-Dec-16
Kuiu Yukon would do well. Quieter than helly. Cooler too

27-Dec-16
I wore Sitka rain gear there for a week and it kept me dry in some really wet nasty weather. I personally would lean towards Sitka or Kuiu. Whichever has the features/price you are looking for.

27-Dec-16
I live up on the Northern Pen in the summer and fish and play music. Recommend bib bottoms. With the winds it rains sideways up there plus I find them easy to walk in without moving down my butt. Weather changes in an instant up there, especially on the Straits.

28-Dec-16
I lived in the Cabela Rain Suede for a week of light and moderate nearly nonstop rain during a trip in Newfoundland. It did succeed in keeping me dry on the inside, but it soaked up water and dripped out water each night and had to be dried out. I am not sure what would have happened if I had not had the opportunity each evening to hang it up to dry in a high ceiling room with a roaring wood fire nearby. In retrospect, I also have to wonder how much extra water weight I was carrying around with me each day.

29-Dec-16
Personally, I'd wear Impertech pants and a Sitka or similar jacket. Busting thru wet brush will wet out any Gore Tex type material in short order. PVC pants will allow you to work thru the ubiquitous brush while a somewhat breathable jacket will keep you from sweating too much.

29-Dec-16
What kind of boots have worked good for you guys on the island? Going next fall and not excited to walk miles and miles in loose rubber boots. Any recommendations?

29-Dec-16
What kind of boots have worked good for you guys on the island? Going next fall and not excited to walk miles and miles in loose rubber boots. Any recommendations?

29-Dec-16

mapler's Link
I wear these whenever I wear rubber boots, including a week in NF. I feel it makes a huge difference. Light pair of socks, then the ankle support, and then a midweight insulated sock.

29-Dec-16
Rubber there. Don't even consider otherwise.

29-Dec-16
Rubber.

29-Dec-16
Helly Hansen or Kuiu. The only ones that work. I hunt Alaska and Ontario a lot and have tried it all even Sitka. It fails.

29-Dec-16
Basically anything you wear in NE to hunt or fish will be fine.

I have been a few times and it rained but no more or worse than when I lived in MA/or Long Island.

Unless you go really late you just need rain gear that works and is DURABLE. You may want to bring a back-up as well as tuckamore can be brutal on gear.

Talk to your outfitter and see what kind of terrain they typically hunt as the Rock is much more diverse than what you would expect.

29-Dec-16
Sitka

30-Dec-16
You should use any type of rubber rain gear that is not a membrane Such as Gore tex or any similar brand. Wear merino wool underneath, the temps will dictate how heavy the merino wool. The reason for the wool is you will sweat and the wool will wick the moisture away from your skin and if it does wet out it won't feel as uncomfortable as cotton or a synthetic. Do not use anything with a fabric outer covering. If you use raingear that has a membrane especially with a fabric outer covering, you will be soaked in minutes. If you use anything but knee high rubber boots you will be sorry. The rubber raingear the guides wear is bulkey and not as quiet as some of the high tech stuff but it's the only thing that will keep you dry if you spend all day out in the rain and wet brush.

30-Dec-16
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Impertech is the way to go. For me anyway. Don't just think about what you hope keeps you dry. think abut what dries out quick. Try waking up to some cold clammy rain suede that hasn't dried out over night. Rivers West can take 4 days to dry without heat! Free to good home. lol Yuk

01-Jan-17
Thanks for the info it looks like I will be looking into the KUIU brand. Thanks for the info

01-Jan-17
As for Rubber boots I basically live in them as I work with a lot of Dairy Farms in Midwest so I usually 2-3 different pairs of rubber Knee highs on hand.

02-Jan-17
KUIU Yukon. Wore it daily with base layer on Kodiak this year (Nov, Dec.). Kept me dry and warm. I thinks its the best in the World.

02-Jan-17
Suggest buying the trenchcoat length Helly Hansen Impertech II jacket. Wear lacrosse neoprene boots and carry a breathable, light wt pair of pants that have leg zippers.

I washed my HH jacket several times before my hunt and it quieted it down and still no leaks.

02-Jan-17
I took first lite

02-Jan-17
I was looking at some Sitka gear and was wondering if anyone can tell me how or why is it 400 dollars, are you kidding me? Is it that they have made a rep and can get away with it?

02-Jan-17
LB does that come as a surprise to you? Never looked at Sitka before? Yes it's probably over priced but you do get what you pay for and their products are pretty darn nice and durable as well.

Why are Corvettes so expensive when they use the same steel and plastic to build them? Crown Royal uses very similar ingredients as other whiskeys but it costs more. Why? I don't now but a Vette is a really nice ride and Crown sure is smooth right?

• Sitka Gear