Topgun 30-06 04-Jan-17
JDM 04-Jan-17
Redman 07-Jan-17
Franzen 07-Jan-17
DonVathome 10-Jan-17
wytex 10-Jan-17
DonVathome 11-Jan-17
28-Dec-16
Is anyone affected by this? My friend drew cow bison tag and the the refuge last time slot 1/6/17 - 1/10/17.

I am going to help him we both live in Ohio. We booked flights, hotel and rental car.

They may have to start feeding elk & bison early and likely will end the hunt Dec 31. Now I understand why, although I am not sure why they cannot close the elk refuge where the feeding is and leave the rest open.

What I do not like is my friend has been told he will not be given a tag for next year - and "might" get a refund. I remember Big Dan here when WY skipped entering him in the draw and gave him a tag, did not keep his points, and gave him a point. Seems like my buddy is not getting a fair shake.

I think he should be given a tag next year if it is cancelled. Paying for only 1 tag.

I cannot imagine the bull hunters! Again I understand this is a unique situation, and I am not happy we are both eating airfare, but I feel it is fair to assure him a hunt next year.

Input? Anyone else affected by this?

28-Dec-16
Ouch!

28-Dec-16
they will give him his money and he will have no future assurances beyond that I bet. No way they can take the money for a hunt they cancel, but I doubt they want to be in the business of tracking future "make good" hunts when they have more demand than they know what to do with.

29-Dec-16
I was a little spooked when I drew my tag and the $2,500.00 + cost as the disclaimer clearly stated the season could close early as harvest quota's where met or other circumstances allowed.

My NER hunt dates where in September so I felt the quota would not be met by then!!

Granted it was HOT and dry and the hide wasn't thick and full like it would have been in Dec/Jan.

like 'bou stated above, no doubt he will get his refund.

Robb

31-Dec-16
I too agree about the refund but I think it is fair if this happens to give them a tag next year - not such a big deal for cows but the guys with bull tags........... I think they should gets tags but WY claims the law is clear they cannot do that.

01-Jan-17
Any idea if this actually happened? Did the bison season close on 12/31? I heard talk it might happen, but haven't seen any official announcement.

02-Jan-17
Currently open until 1/3 but might make it until the 10th

04-Jan-17
My buddy just got the news, hunt is officially shut down this friday 1/6 the day were were going to fly in.

Ouch! Stinks!

04-Jan-17
I think if it's in the fine print that the season can close early you are out of luck from a tag perspective - they don't owe you anything for future years.

They will have to give you your money back though - too many gov't rules for them not too. Can't keep money for services not rendered.

04-Jan-17
Why would someone wait till the end of the season to do this hunt, if drawn? I think I'd make darn sure I was there well before the end....

04-Jan-17
Herd think you are given the week you can hunt.

04-Jan-17
From: HerdManager 04-Jan-17Private Reply Why would someone wait till the end of the season to do this hunt, if drawn? I think I'd make darn sure I was there well before the end....

Very good question when they tell you up front when you apply about possible early closures for certain reasons. Those that wait and don't get to hunt are lucky if they give them their money back and no way should they get to go ahead of people next year.

04-Jan-17
From: Sage Buffalo Herd think you are given the week you can hunt.

My buddy had a cow tag and was scheduled to go with TagNDrag the first week of January and when this early closure deal came up Camille called him and told him he should get there ASAP, so he went last week and filled his tag the first morning out.

04-Jan-17
"Why would someone wait till the end of the season to do this hunt, if drawn? I think I'd make darn sure I was there well before the end...."

There's a little more to this hunt that your average big game hunt.

The season runs from 8-15 to 1-15 of the following year. Typically there are bison on the refuge for the first couple days of the season, then they get run off with a little pressure. Not a good time to go because you may not get a chance at them before they leave the refuge AND they're big animals that hold their heat and shooting one on an 80-90 degree day can spoil everything - meat, hide... They don't return to the refuge until the weather/snow moves them on again. That could be in early November or Christmas! Add to this that you have a tag in your pocket, but you have to apply for a 4 day period to hunt the refuge. You can draw 2 - 4 day periods. Each period is limited to about 25 hunters - both bison AND elk hunters. The first draw happens early with results in the summer. Then you can apply for any under subscribed hunt period; first come first served. You can then try to get a (third) short notice permit by calling up there and asking for one.

Last year there were a few killed early in the season and then virtually none until early December with sporadic movement of bison on and off the refuge. They have a 'hotline' for updated hunt info but it was a case that if you called and there were bison on the refuge, you were too late. You literally had to be there the morning they moved onto the refuge to have a chance at them. I had 8 days in the middle of December permitted on the refuge. I live a 10 hour drive from Jackson. I didn't even leave home during that period because they didn't come out of the park during that time. I was able to watch the weather and got a permit for late the first week of January. Drove up and spent 3 days looking at the herds staged just across the river from the refuge and not able to shoot one because they were in the park. The 3rd night, they crossed the river onto the refuge in the dark and I was able to get one the next morning. It was kind of a rodeo, but I was after meat and was successful.

07-Jan-17
Update from WGF

1/4/2017 11:48:15 AM

JACKSON - The Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s wildlife managers in Jackson are initiating an early closure of the wild bison hunting season in Jackson to allow winter elk feeding operations to begin on the National Elk Refuge. The wild bison season, originally scheduled to run through January 10, 2017 will now conclude on Friday, January 6 half an hour after sunset. The early closure to the season is being implemented due to some elk leaving the Refuge and commingling with cattle. “This is a proactive effort due to concerns about the potential for elk damage on private lands and disease transmission to livestock on lands adjacent to the Refuge,” said Brad Hovinga, Jackson Region wildlife supervisor. “We recognize that this will impact some hunters who have not yet harvested an animal, and we apologize for the inconvenience to them. Some have traveled a great distance and make an important contribution to the economy. Game and Fish does have a process to refund license fees and unsuccessful wild bison hunters may qualify for a refund.” Cold temperatures coupled with crusted snow conditions have caused some elk to leave the National Elk Refuge in search of food on nearby private lands. Local wildlife managers from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department and National Elk Refuge have made a joint decision to initiate feeding as soon as possible to prevent further elk from leaving the refuge. The Game and Fish Commission’s regulation related to closing the bison hunting season requires a 48-hour notification, so the soonest the season can close is Friday evening. The early closure of the bison season will not prevent managers from reaching the desired harvest goals for the population. The Jackson bison population was estimated at approximately 800 animals prior to the hunting season and hunters have harvested approximately 260 animals so far this season. That number is consistent with wildlife managers’ goals of bringing the population towards the established population objective of 500.

07-Jan-17
Wow, I assume that is not a normal year harvest, or have they been trying for several years to get the population down? 260/800, nearly a third of the population, would seem to be a pretty large harvest rate to me, especially in an area where I assume the recruitment is not very high due to predation. Obviously, if the goal is 500, I tend to think they would get there sooner rather than later.

Too bad they had to close early, but it seemed to me that G&F did what they could to get as much of the season in as possible. Getting feed on the ground for all those elk had become high priority I'm sure. Unfortunately (maybe?) all those animals have been trained to have an unnatural food source throughout the winter.

10-Jan-17
The late the better so I advised my buddy to apply for (and he drew) the last hunt. I had never heard of an early closure and G&F said this was unprecedented. The later the better unless this happens. I 100% support their decision a just wish my buddy could get a tag next year. Without a doubt the later you go the better. The reg's this year even included a possible hunt until the end of Jan!

Ahh well, it is just tough being two guys from Ohio planing, packing etc (yes I was 90% packed). I never dreamed this would happen - and no one could have predicted it hence why G&F said it was a big surprise.

10-Jan-17
Bulls can be taken very early in the season, cows almost always later. You could have called the Jackson office and got a day permit at any time if you had drawn a set hunt period. I know the G&F called me right before Christmas advising the season may close early. I made my choice to wait out my time slot, Dec. 30-Jan 2 and got lucky, they moved back on the refuge. Many bulls were on the refuge since Dec. but I understand you had flights booked etc. Many posts on other forums plainly state you need to be flexible with your plans and go when the bison are there. They had planned to allow hunting until the 31st this year but conditions just didn't work out. The elk on the refuge were really having a hard time with the crusty snow, 6,000 elk on the refuge when I hunted. They cannot separate the elk from the bison during feeding and hunting the bison while feeding the elk feed would be against the law in Wyoming.

11-Jan-17
I can be flexible but if my buddy with the tag can't......................

• Sitka Gear