wyliecoyote 29-Dec-16
NorCalVineyards 29-Dec-16
Db1 29-Dec-16
wyliecoyote 29-Dec-16
NorCalVineyards 30-Dec-16
wyliecoyote 30-Dec-16
NorCalVineyards 31-Dec-16
28-Dec-16
Three of us are looking into this unit to either back pack or horse in drop camp. First, anyone know of an outfit that will drop us into the Warners. There is a lot of threads about how poor this unit is online. I know a lot of this is rifle hunters and many of them hunting close to the roads.

What about getting up high, where it opens open and away from the horse trails in the wilderness during the bow season?

Lions have killed a lot of deer, just like where we hunt in Mendo.

If we treat it like a 7 day out of state hunt, go steep and deep, are we likely to see some bucks? Or is complete garbage and only good around the alfalfa private ground?

I'm looking at a couple good glassing vantages/peaks online - looks like gorgeous country. Only 70 archery tags big unit. Likely not going to have much pressure that far in the wilderness with those numbers.

29-Dec-16
Friend of mine packed into X3b a couple years ago with horses...never saw a deer in 4 days !! He was hunting the south warner wilderness.....2 other buddies have made friends with a alfalfa land owner and are into nice muleys everyday....

Joe

29-Dec-16
Joe, 4 days and no deer? wow! Was he bow hunting or rifle. Was he hunting the upper peaks of The S, Warner?... as you can see, I'm not easily giving up here.

I guess an idea is to draw the tag then come July, go knock on the doors of the farmers to try and obtain private access.

29-Dec-16
NorCal--pm sent

29-Dec-16
I did meet a local guide from Alturas who took hunters on horseback up the west slope of the Warners north of the road to Cedarville about 1/2 way to Oregon...he had lots of pics of nice bucks...mostly rifle but some bowhunters as well...if I can remember his name, I will send it to you ...73 year olds don't have the best memory !!LOL

30-Dec-16
We would like to do this Drop Camp - DIY, not pay for an outfitter.

30-Dec-16
Tony, I hear you. The guide's name was Jim Miller...he was very open with me about deer hotspots..perhaps he could direct you to some good spots. If he is still a licensed guide, Calif F&W would have him listed with contact info.

Joe

31-Dec-16
Thank you Joe - I'll give Jim a call. Tony

• Sitka Gear