petedrummond 26-Apr-17
DeathStroke 26-Apr-17
Buffalo1 26-Apr-17
DeathStroke 26-Apr-17
petedrummond 26-Apr-17
Buffalo1 26-Apr-17
ELKMAN 27-Apr-17
31-Dec-16
For you guys that have Javelinas in your region. How are they doing? Population up?Down? Or static? Any major weather events, or trends this year in the southwest a guy should be aware of before they embark on a desert adventure? We are heading to AZ. for our trip as per usual. Just a general "How are things"

31-Dec-16
Population fluctuations tend to be localized so it's tough to give a broad assessment but generally there are no big spikes up or down. We have been getting a fair amount of rain this winter, in fact it's raining today and forecast for more tomorrow (opening day). Right now temperatures are mild, 50's to 60's in the central desert, great for Javelina hunting.

31-Dec-16
Forget hunting them in the rain and cold. They will be nowhere to be found in those conditions. They simply retreat when there is both rain and cold temps. In my hunting area they are caved up right now. I'm not even going out tomorrow since I know they will be shut in.

31-Dec-16
Rich, I would agree with you if you had added wind but a light rain at these temps with little wind and I'll be out.

01-Jan-17
Agreed^^^___ Wind is the true death nail on these little guys. I've killed several in the rain, and even one while it was snowing so you might say it was "cold"... LOL!

02-Jan-17
Has anyone out there tried to eat one of these things?

02-Jan-17
Lots of people eat them. They are not an all-around meat, but not one to be wasted.

02-Jan-17
I killed 1 last year and I smoked it, deboned it, then cooked it down for a couple of hours in a pot with BBQ sauce. It was very good to me and anyone that dared to try it. I run into the same thing with most wild game and people. They proclaim that a certain animal isn't good to eat, such as bear, javelena, etc. Truth is, they have not tried any of them. I just have this belief that if you kill it, you should eat it. I have a hang up about killing things just to watch them die. Just my thoughts. I refuse to cook a skunk, just for the record.

02-Jan-17
Raw Skunk ?

02-Jan-17
You got me on that one!!!

02-Jan-17
Generally I would agree with the no hunting javelina in the rain,but we got into 2 herds yesterday and 2 today with off and on rain.Snow was on the mountains,and 4 of us killed,this happened in central Az at 5000 ft.Also they are great to eat,bone them out,crock pot for 24 hrs,on low with a pack of Mesquite marinade,shred and eat.You can put Bar B Q sauce if you want,or green chilis.Very Good. I think the pig this year puts me at about 42 or 43 with a bow.

03-Jan-17
When meat is Killed/handled properly from start to finish they are excellent table fare...

03-Jan-17
Rancher: That's a pretty impressive run. Sounds like you may know what your doing... ;-)

03-Jan-17
I'm sure you've hunted them enough to know their habits well, so in areas where there are numerous caves like the area I have hunted them in for the last 45 years, when the conditions are adverse, they hole up for the most part since they can find warm dry shelter easily. In areas without caves, by default some pigs would be more likely to brave some of that wet or cold weather. They instead hole up under brush in depressions they dig out and spoon up together for warmth. If you notice, their stiff long hair (although hollow) is not anywhere near as insulating as a deer's. I have them do this right in my back yard under some thick ironwood trees every winter. They just dug out a new one on Monday. Many a day over those years I have spend in the rain trying to find them and I've concluded that my time would be better spent either focusing on deer or simply waiting for the next clear morning when they will certainly be out feeding. Just my two cents.

P.S. That's correct on the meat.... it's decent if you keep it clean and absolutely free from their scent; (which is virtually distributed to all their hair which is spread from the large skin gland on the small of the back). So, skinning them in the field should be an almost surgical-like procedure to keep that tainted hair off any exposed meat. Hanging in a tree works best if you can find one or using the inside of their skin as a spread out platform or barrier is second best. Even with good field care, they can get tainted so at home I hang them up, scrub the carcass using vinegar then hose them down well with cold water and pat it dry, letting it air out. I also have a basin of cold clean water which I use to dunk/wash and pat dry each butchered piece before wrapping or vacuum-seal for freezing. You can also use your nose to give each piece the smell test to see if it needs more washing or is just too tainted to keep messing with.

04-Jan-17
You need to post photos of that! Would be really cool to see it! I envy anybody that gets to be around these guys year round...

05-Jan-17

bowbender77's embedded Photo
Seems to be a New Years tradition at my place.

05-Jan-17

Fried backstrap that is................

05-Jan-17
headin over next week. Weather looks to be in the 70's during the day. You think the little buggers will be out runnin around? We are hunting deer as well. Any suggestions on best time of day to target the javelina? Thanks

05-Jan-17
Anybody ever hunt pigs or deer on Kings Anvil Ranch in AZ?

06-Jan-17
BowBender that looks delicious!

06-Jan-17
Empty: We've never done ranch pigs except once in TX.

06-Jan-17
Mid morning and before sundown. Once it warms a little.

06-Jan-17
Thanks, the ranch works with AZ DFG and allows people to hunt there for free. Was wondering if hunting is better on the ranch or on public land. Not sure of our starting spot just yet.

07-Jan-17
Never heard of that, sounds like our block management program. If it is, I can tell you that up here, at least to me, it seems like they get hunted harder especially by NR, but that doesn't mean it would be the same down there. What region of the state is it?

07-Jan-17
Bowbender that looks good.

07-Jan-17
southern 36c area

07-Jan-17
That unit has numerous ranches in agreement with AZGF for access. All but Sierra Vista Ranch will allow hunting/trespass. You will need to sign in at the locations where AZGF set up boxes on the access roads in from the highway. Best bet is to get high on a ridge and glass the lower hills and arroyos in the AM Also check out existing tanks in the area for pig tracks as they sometimes can be seen around some of those tanks they favor. (usually those having lots of thick mesquite cover). Good luck... hope you have your deer tag too.

07-Jan-17
yes sir.. main target is deer but we are so excited to get down there and see a javelina.. can't wait..

08-Jan-17
Sounds great! I have never hunted down there, but sounds like Rich has you covered. Another 3-4 inches here this morning. Can't wait to head south!

11-Jan-17
So how is the season going down there boys???

11-Jan-17
I've seen a bunch sitting for Coues! My tag starts Monday for these little guys in southern NM. Looking forward to my girlfriends first big game animal being one of these little guys.

12-Jan-17
Get some photos or video, or both

15-Jan-17
No one getting any pork???

15-Jan-17

GaryB@Home's embedded Photo

15-Jan-17

Got bored a few days ago with not seeing any pigs so did a bit of calling and this guy came in running.

15-Jan-17
Nice trophy Gary! What type of fox is that? Grey, Kit, Swift? I'm thinking a Grey but not certain.

15-Jan-17
Yes, it is a Grey

16-Jan-17
Very nice! Great photos. What is this "not seeing any pigs for days" stuff? I thought they were just so darn easy to hunt, and kill that all the "big timers", the "Pros", the "legends" on this site just can't be bothered with them... (It is full of them you know. Just ask them they'll tell you) LMAO! ;-)

16-Jan-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Nice work Gary. Congrats and thanks for the pic/post. Every pic of an arrowed pig gives me hope and desire to do the same , or at least try.

I'm sitting here on a patio in Carefree AZ with my binos trained on the hills. Nothing yet , but the sun is just trying to get the better of the clouds right now.

I don't know what to look for yet, but once I can find one to get a scale and an image in my brain then hopefully my scouting will be more productive. It's quite cool to, by AZ standards anyway. Not for this Canadian though. Quite refreshing actually.

Really looking forward to poking around.

16-Jan-17

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
We just came back from arizona! Had a good time and were able to fill out javalena tags! They sure are neat critters

16-Jan-17
Nice Irmine! Did you see lots of javi's?

16-Jan-17
For those in the know. Would the Tonto National Forest be a good place for me to start? It's not far north of me and access looks fairly easy.

16-Jan-17
Ambush, not sure what tag you have but I don't think the Tonto is in the Metro units. When glassing look low if there aren't out in the open they will be under something, usually mesquite trees. They look like Barrel Cactus only they move :). Salt and pepper coat but some have more salt than pepper and some more pepper. They can appear as a dark outline or shine in the sun.

16-Jan-17
Thanks Gary. Yes, I tried to turn a few barrel cactus into pigs by staring at them long enough. No go. Picked up a licence and tag today. How do you attach the tag if you're going to bone on the spot?

I will probably phone F&G in Mesa again tomorrow to clarify a few things. I bought the tag at Dicks and the young girl was a little unsure about the process. Friendly and helpful though.

16-Jan-17
Legally you must tag the animal as soon as you get to it (leg on Javelina) once you bone it out cut the tag off the leg and keep it with the meat.

17-Jan-17
Very nice! Ermine did you just buy a quiver?

17-Jan-17
Yea from you!! ;)

17-Jan-17
I thought that was you! LOL!

17-Jan-17

huntinelk's embedded Photo
My sons first vertical bow javalina
My sons first vertical bow javalina
Here are a couple from TX.

17-Jan-17

Here are a couple from TX.

17-Jan-17
Just got back from hunting javelina and deer south of Tucson. Only saw a couple pig but did see a guy from San Diego arrow 1 about 300 yards from me. Wrong place wrong time, why the name Empty freezer applies. Saw alot of Mule deer and a few whitetail. Did not get any shots but saw some monster Mulies. That desert is massive and mean and beautiful all at the same time. Good luck out there. I will return.

18-Jan-17
Good description of the desert...

18-Jan-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

18-Jan-17
"...once you bone it out cut the tag off the leg and keep it with the meat...."

Just to be clear, DO NOT take the tag of the leg if you have not returned home with the meat. If you are transporting javelina meat with just a cut-off tag, I'd say your chances with AZ G&F are not good.

I took a new hunter out once, and let him look through my Swarovski 15X at some javelina about a mile and a half away. He asked me where they were in relation to the big white patch of dirt with the little black specs on it. I told him they ARE the little black specs. Even after I told him, he wouldn't believe that I could tell that those were javelina, and they weren't moving much. Fortunately, I had taken a wrong turn on a scouting trip and knew exactly how to drive to the base of the mountain they were on. I grabbed the tripod and headed toward the truck, with him still being very doubtful that what we saw were truly javelina. A short time later, he was tagging his first boar.

18-Jan-17
Stickflicker. I was at AZ F&G today and she suggested just as Gary advised if I was boning in the field.

I was out for the afternoon and saw several mule deer, two bucks and one was a tall tined 3X3. One covey of quail and a jack rabbit. No pigs and very little sign.

Try again tomorrow in a litttle different terrain. Still really no idea what I'm looking for or what features to look for. Intersesting country, for sure.

19-Jan-17
Could maybe just attach tag through lower jaw bone of your pigs skull? After skinning, cleaning a bit of course

19-Jan-17
Elkman, congrats on a huge javi!! If I kill a pig, I'll likely phone Mesa F&G from the kill site.

I've gotten some somewhat ambiguous and conflicting advice from different government sources. Just try and cover my bases.

19-Jan-17
Over the years I have posed the question to a number of folks with the G&F Dept. and the most cited answer is what I suggested. There is no hard rule regarding this but the onus is and G&F to prove you are doing something wrong. As long as you tag immediately you have met that obligation. The only thing you are required to remove from the field is the meat (and proof of sex on gender tags) and boning out meets that obligation. The rule prohibiting "take" with a damaged tag does not apply to removing the meat from the field. . Ambush, hope you are having a blast, good luck.

19-Jan-17
Thanks Gary. Had a good day today until it started to pour rain about 2:30. Got wet, but did find some pig sign. I will give you a call.

19-Jan-17
Sounds good, I was out earlier looking for Deer until the weather got bad on me also.

20-Jan-17
Does all this moisture make them switch things up a bit? Or just put them more on roots and that's it?

20-Jan-17
We've had pretty good rain during the season so far with lots of fresh grasses and shoots they are gorging on.

27-Jan-17
Yeah I'm guessing they are in pretty good shape right now. Is the grass tall? They are a bugger to spot, but when the grass gets tall they can be darn there impossible!

07-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

07-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

08-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

09-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

12-Feb-17

HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
The arrow hitting. The reaction to the shot. The arrow cut his left leg went through the brisket and broke the of side leg.
The arrow hitting. The reaction to the shot. The arrow cut his left leg went through the brisket and broke the of side leg.
Here are some interesting photo's of some video my Granddaughter took. These are photo's taken by the same video camera that took the video. I fast forwarded until I had the correct frame and then took a picture of the computer screen. Not the best quality but I think very interesting of what happens during and after the shot....that we never see at the time.

12-Feb-17

The arrow entering.
The arrow entering.
This is what was supposed to be the first picture. The arrow entering the Javelina.

12-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

25-Feb-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

26-Apr-17
Can anyone suggest an outfitter for javenlina? I am planning my 2018 adventure and want to target these little guys.

26-Apr-17
Fair Chase in texas with rob kiebler is as good as it gets. Absolutely loaded with them. In fact its hard to imagine not killing one there. 972 523 5621

26-Apr-17
Thank you! Ill check that out

26-Apr-17
Pete is spot on about Fair Chase. Just listen to Rob and John and you should be successful.

Lots of pigs too.

You will have a great time. Take a pistol and and an appetite.

26-Apr-17
Fair Chase seems to have great reviews all around. Do they have a website?

26-Apr-17
No website just a cell phone that works sometimes

26-Apr-17
Rob said he does not have a website because it would make people mad. He stays booked by repeat customers and "word of mouth" from customers.

27-Apr-17

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear