kota-man 01-Jan-17
Windlaker_1 01-Jan-17
Brotsky 01-Jan-17
ahunter55 01-Jan-17
Topgun 30-06 01-Jan-17
Branden 01-Jan-17
BlacktailBowhunter 19-Jan-17
01-Jan-17
We currently do our Mule Deer hunts in SD. We are looking to take a second trip "Out West" next year.

We are kicking around NW Nebraska, or SW ND. Read online reports, some saying each area sucks, and each area is great.

Looking for any feedback you may have.

Thanks in advance.

01-Jan-17
Typically, areas that "suck" were very good to the online reporter and areas that are "great" is the reporters way of saying I saw lots of animals/sign, but didn't kill anything because blah blah bla. You'll rarely get a straight forward answer from a random online reporter, especially when it pertains to a specific area...unless they are wanting a LOT of company the next season.

Good luck where ever you choose to go. There are plenty of Mule Deer out west. I plan to head back in 2018.

01-Jan-17
Mule Deer Tags are tough to come by for a nonresident in ND.

01-Jan-17
We need to apply in March, right?

01-Jan-17
Kota, hopefully they will be hard to come by in SD too for NR in the near future. Pressure is getting insane from NR archers here on the mule deer, not sustainable.

01-Jan-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I hope you find an area that fills your needs. I have been fortunate to say I've made more trips for Mule eer & Elk than I can really count. My 1st trip was in 1964 & tags were if memory serves me right $25 for both Non-Res... Yea, being old now is the shi-s but I had 30 years of bowhunting both them critters & never over $35 for a tag & sometimes twice in a year. Co & New Mexico, public land, tenting & plenty of animals. Never took any giants but I was never a horn hunter.. Good Luck & enjoy it as long as you can.

01-Jan-17
You may want to take a long look at western ND even if you could get a tag because with the terrible weather they are having and that is still forecast for so early in the winter there may not be any deer left by next Spring!

01-Jan-17
North Dakota has good muley hunting if you can get a tag. But like mentioned the winter isn't looking good for the deer. Supposed to get up to another 8" by tomorrow night. Then the next few days the high's will be below zero. Good luck in your search.

19-Jan-17
I've hunted Utah and am putting in for a point this year so I can hunt a general tag area in 2018.

Montana is a great place to research.

If you're looking for a fun hunt OTC that has some decent bucks 120" to 140" range and an occasional giant but don't expect one, I can tell you right where to go in Oregon. My eastern Oregon elk spot burned 6 years ago and now there are deer every where.

• Sitka Gear