Bou'bound 02-Jan-17
luckydraw 02-Jan-17
Bowfreak 02-Jan-17
Chief 419 02-Jan-17
wildan 02-Jan-17
Frank Sanders 03-Jan-17
Pete In Fairbanks 05-Jan-17
02-Jan-17
I am at home today doing some odd jobs before I hit the woods. Steve's Outdoor Adventures is playing now on Sportsmans Channel. They are evidently experiencing an early ice out. They are concerned that they won't have any water to drink once all the clean snow has melted. They are talking about this while they are standing next to the river as ice is breaking up and floating down the river? What am I missing? Can they not drink the water (filter, boil, whatever) in the river or water that is collected all over the place as they walk around hunting?

02-Jan-17
Just watched myself. Deff a little drama. I guess tv is tv. They started the show stating that they need to get out of the bush to pickup their client at the airport but can't becuase of the high water. Then said the hunt wasnt their biggest concern it was getting out of the bush before they ran out of food and water. Next day the client was flown into camp. lol

02-Jan-17
It's TV, but they did get a nice hard earned bear and did not die of dehydration so all is well.

02-Jan-17
Deff a good bear hunt. The 71 yr old hunter deserves alot of credit

02-Jan-17
I found it amusing that ol Steve was concerned whether the 71 yr old man, that was about 8% body fat, would be able to hike this rough country. I was more concerned for Steve.

02-Jan-17
Nothing like a little drama to keep you tuned in. The commercials made by the hunting industry make watching hunting shows almost unbearable.

02-Jan-17
I almost gagged watching a show recently.Bragging how good XXXX camo was while wearing an orange vest and hat.

03-Jan-17
Classic, Bowfreak!!!

05-Jan-17
I worked out of that same camp before it was sold to the current owner. I worked for the guy who built the camp. Most of the time we utilized rain water gathered in a cistern from water running off the metal cabin roofs. I think there was a driven point water source at the main camp there too. If the river floods and river water gets into the well, you chance issues with bacteria and filtering is necessary.

Finding water in the high country for the spike camps could be more difficult. But I never saw a Spring bear season there that there weren't SOME snowfields still around through the end of June and into July. Just maybe not real close to where you could land a Cub. It was not a terrible problem; you just brought water to spike camp with you in the plane (jugs or cubies.)

Pete

• Sitka Gear