BIG BEAR 15-Jan-17
Stoney 15-Jan-17
Junior 16-Jan-17
MDW 18-Jan-17
rtkreaper 19-Jan-17
rtkreaper 19-Jan-17
03-Jan-17

Shiras's Link
If you want to know how to handle a moose hunt alone then you need to read this recent thread.

03-Jan-17
#1- They are paid handsomely for being on the show. You might notice, they all have new equipment. Tom Oar-on The Mountain Men, show is a friend of mine. He cluedme in on some stuff. #2- One person can handle a moose and pack it out. It just takes time. But, if they are alone, who do you think is running those cameras? However, a moose taken apart, with ax or chain saw, can be altered into packable pieces. I hope I never have to do it again. #3-Never forget, it is television, not real life.

03-Jan-17
What Bowriter said. On one of the shows, they are wearing Sitka Gear and using Kimber Mountain ascent and Adirondack rifles!

03-Jan-17
razorhead, pm herdbull (Micheal Mitten) he has done many solo moose hunts, even has a book; he is usually on the Leatherwall.

03-Jan-17
Heimo Korth has been up there for 40 years or so, I'm guessing he may have a few tricks on how to break down and pack a moose solo.

03-Jan-17
These guys are the real deal. All of them have the skillset to breakdown and transport a moose. Unlike the fake reality Alaskan Bush People.

03-Jan-17
The Last Alaskans is the only show of that type that I watch. Everyone on the show seems "real". They are living their lives the way they have been for years. The other "Alaskan" reality shows all seem staged,and some of the stories are a little far-fetched.

03-Jan-17
DIY ......two of us packed two moose shot 4 days apart, one moose .80 and the other was 1 mile from the Yukon river by Galena, flat as a board. Took about 10-14 hrs each...I was 32 then, 49 now, no thanks never again. The locals explained they cruised the river until they found one on the river bank...makes sense.

03-Jan-17
I can't stand Alaskan Bush People , bunch of idiots !! If anyone is looking for a good book to read this winter check out The Final Frontiersman. It's the life story of Heimo. He has lived the life up in Alaska that a lot of us would probably have loved to live e.

03-Jan-17
The last Alaskans, life below zero and Yukon men I watch and enjoy. I saw heinous the other night and he was looking at the trash left behind by trophy hunters and he made a comment on how he was discussed that hunters hunt for antlers and said he wished none of the animals had antlers. It would be interesting if that were true to see how popular hunting would be.

04-Jan-17
1) He doesn't know they were "trophy" hunters....

and

2) You can be a "trophy" hunter and not be a slob.

3) Heimo drove his snow machine right up to the moose kill. Process, pack on the sled, and drive out.

4) He killed in the dead of winter. Not much chance bears would be out. I'd imagine the wolves would be a bigger issue should he have had to leave to kill site without all the meat in one haul.

Marty Meierotto did the same thing with a caribou on Mountain Men.

04-Jan-17

orionsbrother's embedded Photo
orionsbrother's embedded Photo
Wait just a second here guys. I was only able to catch about fifteen seconds of one of the Bush People documentaries. Are you suggesting that I should reconsider a leather jacket and blue jeans for my dream hunt in AK? I was gonna rock the sideburns too.

04-Jan-17
^^^. LMAO !!!!!

04-Jan-17
Packing a moose just takes time and determination. I killed a bull 1000 vertical feet below and one mile away from the strip. I cut and carried the entire animal alone. My partner killed a bull the same distance from camp in the opposite direction THE SAME DAY! It was hard, honest work. As good as it gets!

07-Jan-17

Tao's embedded Photo
Here is what a moose looks like in 6 game bags plus the rack, packed out in 7 trips out of the bush to the boat
Tao's embedded Photo
Here is what a moose looks like in 6 game bags plus the rack, packed out in 7 trips out of the bush to the boat

08-Jan-17
Not saying that I am the last word on this sort of thing, but I have lived in AK for nearly 50 years and packed a moose or two. Heimo Korth has been a friend of mine for over 30 years.

Dressing, quartering and packing a moose is obviously much easier with help, but it is not impossible to do on your own. The last one I did solo was about 5 years ago; I'm 66 now. You just tie off legs instead of having your buddy hold a leg. And you put up a temporary meat pole and use it to help bag up quarters and meat.

The way I cut up a moose, it means 10 to 12 loads for a man with a good pack frame who KNOWS how to pack weight. So if you are alone, that means you make 12 round trips. If you have a buddy, you each make 6 round trips. If you have 2 buddies, you make 4 RTs each. If you are me, with a 6'5", 300 lb son, you hop on the sat phone and call him...

I know most of the other people on Last Alaskans too. The Lewis' and Bob Hartt, are all the real deal. I just don't know the other couple.

By the way, I have had the hernia operations to prove that I've packed a bit of moose meat. When I was sewed up the first time, I checked my diaries and journals and found I had packed somewhere in the neighborhood of 48,000 lbs of moose meat on my back over the years. Sometimes 200 yards; sometimes a mile or two. That first trip to the hospital was in 1985! I'm back at it...!

Pete

13-Jan-17
IMHO... Pete should be the final word on this. he's the real deal...

I've packed 2 moose. My group leaves ALL the meat on the bone. We haul out the entire carcass. It makes the following pieces: 4 quarters, 2 ribs, 1 brisket, full spine from hips to head cut in 3 pieces, and antlers. That was 9 loads on the last one. It was about a mile from our river. Luckily, we had three of us and the terrain wasn't too bad. I could have done it by myself but it would have been about 2-3 full days to break down and haul.

The last alaskans is a good show. The Alaskan bushmen is a joke, reminds me of the kardashians

13-Jan-17
The Kardashians?

Bowhunters will watch anything, won't they?

:-)

14-Jan-17
Love Edna and Heimo , Bob went to town I believe he had to give it up. He was really sick and tired. I also like the couple that are in their thirtys or 40s., He killed a really nice bull last year and they cut it up and packed it out. I believe they are the Lewisi family. I do watch this one regularly. I cannot stand the Bush People show and believe it is evident that those people do not know squat about hunting , butchering game or actually having to live in the wild. But then , perhaps they just all had a teacher that didn't know anything. No real judgment but No real interest in the show at all. God bless, Steve

14-Jan-17
Tyler (Nebraska) & Ashley (Minnesota) Selden

15-Jan-17
I like the show along with Yukon Men and Mountain men....

15-Jan-17

Stoney's embedded Photo
Stoney's embedded Photo
Pete, you are real deal too! Glad to have made your acquaintance and friendship over the years. I imagine you have seen it all, and your service on the Alaskan Game Commission was a valuable resource for the Alaskan people and hunters from the lower 48. God Bless!

I'm 72 now and am still packing my mules into the wilderness areas of AZ and NM. I don't pack much on my back. I let my mules do the work. Last week we got my pack mule to within 80 yds. of our Rocky bighorn sheep, my hunter took on the very rugged San Francisco River Canyon steep canyon side. Three of us did have to pack frame (one load each) the sheep up the steep part to the pack mule and our riding animals.

16-Jan-17
I read Bob is doing well, and that he will be back in the spring! https://www.facebook.com/BobHarteFanClub/

18-Jan-17
One of my Alaskan friends occasionally used to fly fuel and supplies out to Heimo, guess he still does. We flew over Heimo's place when up there Caribou hunting one year. They are as close to the real deal as one can get, even though the show has changed them.

Would not watch Bush People for anything!

19-Jan-17
Just read a book about Heimo. Great read. The Last Frontiers Man. Rory

19-Jan-17
Oops, meant to say the Final Frontiersman. Rory

• Sitka Gear