bill v 07-Jan-17
Matt 07-Jan-17
Bob H in NH 07-Jan-17
Pete In Fairbanks 08-Jan-17
The last savage 08-Jan-17
Junior 08-Jan-17
Stoney 09-Jan-17
05-Jan-17
I'm in my upper 20s, and have been hunting whitetail and small game/birds in Iowa since I was old enough to take Hunter's Education. I can put myself on whitetail in Iowa. I do not know anything about hunting in the west. I've been dreaming of a bow elk hunt for years. I think I'd like to try guided to see what it's all about before I tackle a DIY hunt. A trophy is not my concern. I'd just like to have an opportunity at a legal bull. I think Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana are my state preferences.

With all that being said, I know nothing about picking outfitters. What are some good tips to select an outfitter? I've heard that some are better at rifle hunts and some specialize with bowhunters. Also from reading things it appears you can really "get what you pay for." Quite frankly I'm a bit overwhelmed. All outfitters say they are the best, with the best land, best scenery, and of course the best elk. In addition to some advice, if anyone has some recommendations, feel free to post/private message me. I'd love to hear them.

05-Jan-17
Check the outfitters report and sponsors here on Bowsite if there not on the up and up they wouldn't be on here for very long. If state has a outfitters guide license requirement check to see if they're licensed.

05-Jan-17
Read Bowsite reviews and then give people as detailed questions as possible:

i.e. I have $3,500 to spend, no points and a week to hunt. I don't care where I go but want decent food and a good chance at an elk. Who are your top recos?

I have always had good recos and hunts from guys in here. Doesn't mean you always come home with something but that doesn't make a good hunt.

05-Jan-17
Bow & Arrow Adventures. Scott will guide you in the right direction.

05-Jan-17
I just stumbled across this site today and never even noticed that outfitter tab. Thanks, I'll go check out some reviews and maybe update this later. Thanks and sorry for the newbie question.

05-Jan-17
One metric I have is to speak with the outfitter multiple times. If he tells the same tale each time, I move him up the list. And I am not shy about soliciting feedback from fellow Bowsiters.

05-Jan-17
Join the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Enjoy your local RMEF chapter's banquet. You'll be brushing shoulders with lots of elk hunters and elk outfitters in no time.

05-Jan-17
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is not a good way to book an outfitter. Outfitters give hunts to RMEF to auction or sell. Of course RMEF would never tell you the hunt could be from a good outfitter or a really bad one. Please take my advice. We got burned before. Never again!

06-Jan-17
Brass , Yeah , My advise would be same as yours. Just don't think because it's RMEF it's a good outfitter. But, as always do your homework. I wasn't suggesting booking that way, though , just suggesting above that it's a good way to gather info.

My suggestion above is a homework suggestion. Join RMEF , Meet elk hunters that have used outfitters , meet outfitters that like hunting elk , and gather up the info and make an informed decision. Good Huntin'.

Also , It's not fair to RMEF or the good outfitters that associate with RMEF to state ...." Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is not a good way to book an outfitter ". It certainly can be an excellent place to book an elk hunt............but it doesn't mean you should put your guard down before you put your money down.

06-Jan-17
I have been a member of RMEF for a long time. Good organization that does a lot for habitat preservation and acquisition. It only makes sense that if you join an organization composed primarily of dedicated elk hunters that you will learn from the magazine and fellow members where some good places to hunt may be. Pay attention to magazine articles where the writer had a good hunt. Who did they hunt with? Bowhunting Safari Consultants is a very reputable booking agent for all sorts of hunts. They vet all of the outfitters that they send clients to.

06-Jan-17
Honestly, I would start with using a good booking agent like Mark or Jay at Bowhunting Safari Consultants or Scott at Bow & Arrow Adventures. These guys know the outfitters who routinely take bowhunters. There are many outfitters out there who will say they take bowhunters to get you to book with them and then spend the entire hunt telling you that bowhunting there is next to impossible and urge you to use the guide's rifle. You want your guide to have bowhunting experience. You need to be honest with yourself and your booking agent/outfitter as to what you are looking for. If you expect to kill on every hunt and that animal has to be a booner, well you are going to be disappointed. Any outiftter that guarantees a kill on a record book animal, I would shy away from. There are plenty of great outfitters out there that cater to bowhunters and there is an equal number, if not more, outfitters out there who are happy to take your money and are not set up for bowhunters. The best bowhunters in the world frequent this site and most are willing to help and provide advice. I would be careful about making a decision on one or two outfitter reports. Some guys get lucky and tag a great animal on the first day. (I have once or twice!) Those guys typically give the outfitter a glowing review but they never really got a true "flavor" of the hunt and the guide's and outfitter's abilities when the hunt gets tough and goes full term. You want to hear a good cross-section of reports and that is where the agents are invaluable. They hear both sides of each story and can weed out the problem outfitters. If they have been booking for an outfitter, they will have heard a history of hunter reports, both good and bad. Some outfitters will give you references that have only been successful or they may only give you a list of hunters who have just completed their hunt. It takes a lot of time to call each one to get their thoughts and even then you don't know who you are talking to. For my first guided hunt or two, I would definitely talk to these agents before sending any outfitter my hard earned money. Good Luck!

06-Jan-17
When they say the guides and them are bowhunters, ask some simple questions to see if they are right, something simple as "what bow do you shoot?" or ask about their arrow or BH of choice.

Get references, not the ones on the web site, but make sure you get unsuccessful ones.

I like to actually meet them, so if you can go to a BIG outdoor show, if you can get to Harrisburg PA that's a good one. Booking agents (several listed above) are also great. I have a friend who simply won't book a hunt except through his booking agent. It may limit your options, but the options are probably safer than doing it yourself.

Any outfitter that makes to good to be true promises, well, run. Any bowhunting guide who goes 100% every year, be VERY careful.

Public or private land, ask. Public you might run into other hunters, lots of them, maybe not if the public land is miles from a road.

06-Jan-17
As mentioned above, check out both successful and unsuccessful outfitter's references. One thing to worry about in Colo's OTC units is hunting pressure. Even though you may be going with a guide doesn't necessarily mean there won't be lots of company. Colo's OTC public land gets hammered. If I was searching for an outfitter in Colo I would tend to search for ones that have lots of private land. Another option I don't think that has been mentioned is NM. There are large private ranches in NM that offer landowner tags. Obviously you generally get what you pay for.

If you have the chance go to a sports show this winter in your area. That way you can meet several outfitters and their guides face to face, ask a bunch of questions, look at their photo books/videos, etc.

I have never done a guided hunt but there is a high learning curve when it comes to hunting elk...especially on heavy pressured public land. If you are pinched for funds you can go on several self guided hunts and learn a great deal each year. There is excellent advice for success on this and other websites. You will likely learn a lot from guides but one of the biggest benefits would be taking advantage of hunting on lightly pressured private land.

06-Jan-17
NEIABowhunter, What town in NE IA you from? I'm in Independence.

07-Jan-17
one simple plain tip I have

when talking to outfitters, put higher preference on outfiters you believe and feel trust with

my first trip with an outfitter, I was in my 20's. I chose what I thought was " the best hunter" nevermind that I didn't particularly care for him, he was the best! well, I learned, I got bullcrap

I will only hunt with someone I trust and like

you are ahead of the game by just asking this question

bill v

07-Jan-17
I don't want to add to the pile. I do have an outfitter I trust in Co. over the counter tags

pm if interested

07-Jan-17
Repeat clients is really good indicator of quality. Talk with both successful and unsuccessful hunters.

07-Jan-17
I agreen with bill. You have to get a comfortable and feeling g of trust when you talk to them

08-Jan-17
Don't just use only the references OFFERED! Ask for a list of ALL the last season's hunters. Ask specifically for a name/number of a hunter who did NOT get the game he or she sought.

If a client gets a big trophy early his hunt, he will sleep in a leaky tent and happily eat shit sandwiches until he packs out... and STILL give the outfitter a good recommendation!

Conversely, if a client does NOT get his trophy and STILL gives a good recommendation, that is the mark of the sort of outfitter you will likely be comfortable with.

I've seen this from both sides of the issue... both as the hunter/client and as the guide.

Pete Retired AK Master Guide

08-Jan-17
Excellent advice Pete...

08-Jan-17
With elk you need to ask to talk to the guy who is guiding you.

09-Jan-17
Pete,

You are right on. I have been outfitting professionally for 31 years and your advise is spot on. Stay warm or better yet come down to NM and stop by sometime.

• Sitka Gear