OFFHNTN 15-Sep-17
PAstringking 15-Sep-17
PAstringking 15-Sep-17
huntinelk 20-Sep-17
APauls 20-Sep-17
PAstringking 21-Sep-17
bowbender77 22-Sep-17
06-Jan-17
For anyone interested, I just received this e-mail from Webber's lodge.. It looks like they are trying to improve their hunts. Still a bit on the pricey side for and not being able to take all the meat home would be a deal breaker, but maybe not for everyone.. I suspect with what's going on in Quebec, demand will be much greater in places like Nunavut, Manitoba, etc. and consequently higher prices (if they can take measures to ensure hunters have a legitimate chance at taking a bull or two, understanding that there are no guarantees when it comes to caribou hunting). ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have completed the restructuring of our caribou hunts. This new setup will address the situation of “no caribou in the area”. We are going to be set up significantly farther north than in past years. We will actually be set up where the caribou were hanging around the last two Septembers. We will also be prepared to go to a mobile camp setup if the caribou don’t cooperate. Please look over the hunt info below:

2017 Caribou Hunts

Hunt Description:

5 full days of hunting, in on day 1, out on day 7 2 x 1 guided, professional Inuit guides From Thompson, Manitoba Hunting in Nunavut and/or Manitoba Comfortable tent camp for when the caribou cooperate Mobile camps for when caribou are not in traditional areas We will move camp to stay close to caribou Up to 2 bull limit Includes charter fees from Thompson to camp Includes field prep of trophy Includes transport of trophy from camp to Thompson 2 capes, 1 split rack and 1 unsplit rack

Hunt Cost:

Hunt - $9,995.00

Tax - $249.88

Hunting License - $63.00

Caribou Tag/HTO fee - $472.50 each (up to two)

Total - $11,252.88

Not Included:

Items as listed above Travel from your home to Thompson Meals and accommodations prior to and after your hunt Shipping of trophies from Thompson Taxidermy

Hunt Dates:

August 27-September 2

September 2-8

September 8-14

September 14-20

September 20-26

With the change we have implemented for 2017, we have had to reduce the number of hunters we take per season. There will be a maximum of 40 hunters per year, and we currently have 21 booked.

Special Note: due to our new arrangements on this hunt, hunters will be extremely limited to how much meat they can take home. Only backstraps and tenderloins may be taken by the hunter. The remainder of the meat will be sent to Northern communities in need.

Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you,

Russ Mehling

General Manager

WEBBER’S LODGES – Manitoba’s most trusted outfitter

T: 1.204.878.5090

F: 1.204.878.5099

TF: 1.888.WEBBERS (932-2377)

W: www.webberslodges.com

06-Jan-17
Sounds to me like the Indians made that deal !! Backstraps and tenderloins are all you get to keep ??? No thanks

06-Jan-17
Considering the current state of caribou hunting, this doesn't sound too bad actually. At least they are trying to make it work. Say what you want, but does anyone really go on these hunts for the meat? Yes, it is a great bonus, but not a deal breaker for most that will do this type of hunt anyway. It's just cost prohibitive to try and get all the meat from two caribou back from a hunt like this anyway. KUDO's to Webbers for trying to make this work.

06-Jan-17
I just got that email yesterday. Rather disappointing. I don't see how you can't fly the meat out with you....but then they donate the rest.....

06-Jan-17
Luke...I'm sure it is "part of the deal" they made with the natives, in exchange for hunting their ground and like I said above, I'd be willing to bet most guys doing this kind of hunt won't mind one bit.

06-Jan-17
This is the same hunt my dad and I went on in 2014- consequently we brought most of the Caribou home, 2 full racks, 2 split- Russ is booking for the former Henik Lake Outfitters in combination with his owner/operator.

We never had to be moved as there were ample caribou for years leading up to 2015...

06-Jan-17

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Here is our guide Jason with my dad's first bull- He was pretty awesome, wish I could do a muskox hunt or polar bear with him-

06-Jan-17
Oh it wouldn't be a deal breaker at all but I do enjoy the meat. And I'm very happy to see then working and changing things up to get back in the bou. Kudos to them for sure. Maybe my next bou hunt....

06-Jan-17
We're all different.... Not bringing the meat home is a deal breaker for me for sure... If you haven't eaten caribou, it's the best I've eaten. I'd like to go to New Zealand sometime, but from what I understand I couldn't bring the meat home from there either so I'll probably never go. I won't go on a hunt if I can't bring the meat home. That's not saying I don't hunt for a nice bull, buck, etc. but the meat is of equal importance to me.

Leaving the meat in Nunavut is part of the deal outfitters made in order to hunt there. It goes to the elders from what I understand, but having read what I've read about caribou in Nunavut, I'm not so sure the Natives aren't selling the meat via the internet. Sounds like the Natives are calling the shots all across Canada these days.

06-Jan-17
Gee, imagine that. It's their land and they want to set the rules.

06-Jan-17
someone needs to get a 10,000 acre caribou ranch going - the price is getting outrageous

06-Jan-17
10,000 acre ranch for a migratory animal......might be a stretch.

07-Jan-17
turn them into non-migratory ..... people would pay

07-Jan-17

Here is Ryan StJohn-Henik Lake owner with a clients bull- I saw one on our hunt that made this bull look smaller

07-Jan-17

I was thrilled with the bull I arrowed

07-Jan-17
When are the bulls mostly out of velvet and is there decent fly fishing?

07-Jan-17
My hunt in 2013 was Sept 11-16 and my first bull was in velvet and my second bull had just shed his velvet. Fishing there is primarily Lake Trout, Northern Pike, and Grayling... We trolled for Lake trout and used spinning gear for the Grayling. I didn't fish for Northerns.... We have plenty of them right here.

09-Jan-17
our dates were around the 2nd week of September as well, and some had velvet and others were cleaned off already- I don't think that the velvet would have been salvaged on any of them being that remote and not having the ability to bring chemicals up to save them. My bull died out in the lake, and getting him to shore the guide pulled a bunch of it off- so for the photo I stripped it all off-

The mount turned out fantastic- a little antler stain by the taxidermist and they look great.

12-Jan-17
You have to give them credit for adapting instead of just hoping things "get back to normal". I will be on this hunt.

12-Jan-17
How many places still offer caribou hunts, not to mention caribou hunts with a good chance at a 2 bull limit?

19-Jan-17
Has anyone booked this hunt for 2017 yet?

19-Jan-17
Try Portland Creek Outfitters out of Newfoundland for Woodland Caribou. Has openings.10 days, $9000.00 US funds.

19-Jan-17
What guarantee is in place to ensure the "donated" meat is not sold by the Community?

Selling caribou meat is a growth industry, not one that I feel will help keep caribou populations healthy.

20-Jan-17
I highly doubt there is any guarantee. When something is given away, it's then up to that person what they do with it. Plus, if you know about the way things work around here, you can't corner indigenous people into anything...

20-Jan-17
OF course there will be no guarantee. Plans are likely already being made for the sale of this meat.

In this case it is absolutely possible to stop this practice which is harming several caribou herds that licenced hunters are no longer allowed to hunt due to conservation concerns. It is simple, don't allow the meat to be donated, even if that means not participating with this outfitter.

01-Feb-17
huntinelk - I just sent in my deposit.

01-Feb-17
Good deal Kevin. Keep me posted as to your success!

01-Feb-17
Kevin,

I sent you a pm, to see if we will cross paths.

01-Feb-17
I commend them on trying to be more mobile. If other hunters choose not to bring meat home, it may be possible to take their meat quota out in addition to yours. This is what I did during my hunt with them. I would like to return at some point.

01-Feb-17
Right on Kdog - good luck! Please share a story when you get back.

06-Jul-17
Has anymore Bowsiters booked with Webbers for this year?

06-Jul-17
I have known Native trappers who routinely shot caribou for wolf bait and then ran them down with snowmobiles and shot em with shotguns or set traps around the bou carcasses. Some of them killed 100 or more wolves per winter, not sure how many caribou it takes to do that.

28-Aug-17
Anybody going or know anybody that is going the first couple weeks?

28-Aug-17
I went to Munroe Lake a couple years ago, actually the last year it was "good", and still keep in touch with my guide. He left yesterday to go back up. I will be talking to him when he gets back as I am doing a bear hunt with him. I'm am curious and hopeful for this year and the Manitoba caribou hunts.

31-Aug-17
Buddy a mine is going to manage the camp at Baralzon which is a border lake mostly in Manitoba, but the camp is in Nunavut for Webbers. They already have hunters there and word on the street is the Bou are dropping! Wouldn't that be sweet if things started returning more to normal?!

31-Aug-17
That's encouraging....hope they save a couple for 2 weeks from now.

01-Sep-17

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Ganglers also reporting caribou coming down and large amounts just north of Manitoba.

03-Sep-17

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo
Had an outstanding hunt last week, on my way home. Lots of caribou. I got mine on the third day. Hopefully everyone else has a great hunt this year too.

03-Sep-17
That's a great pic Kdog and congrats on a beauty of a bou!

Nice FOB. :-)

03-Sep-17
Good stuff!

04-Sep-17
Thanks guys had a great time!

midwest - I just started using FOB's last year and they are awesome. It is amazing though how many people have never heard of them, but are intrigued by them. I have killed an elk, caribou and whitetail with them. They work very well (better than a standard fetching IMO) and are extremely convenient.

05-Sep-17
Nice bull and a beauty of a shot! I don't think the FOB's would play nice with my biscuit.

05-Sep-17
Agree Adam. I switched to the biscuit for durability and simplicity.

05-Sep-17
Just spoke with my friends up at Munroe Lake and they said Caribou are there. They took some very nice bulls week one. Hopefully this continues and gets back to normal.

06-Sep-17
Just got off the horn with Russ from Webbers, and they are doing very well on caribou this year. Other lodges into MB also reporting knocking em down. Even the Lodge at Little Duck killed a couple which is Nejanilini lake. Nejanilini is pretty far south into Manitoba already. Munroe has caribou, Ganglers has bou, good news all in all. Baralzon seems to be in the middle of it all covered up in caribou.

06-Sep-17
Thanks for updating us Adam!

06-Sep-17
Everything is sounding really good up there this year. Hoping that just by luck I picked a good year to go up.

07-Sep-17
I'd be excited if I was you Gene!!!

15-Sep-17
Got another update from my buddy Tyler who was working Baralzon with Webbers and his last week in camp was insane for bull quality. Said they shot 12 bulls over 330" and one archery hunter shot a 380 gross and a 400 gross. WOW. Wonder if it was a bowsiter?

15-Sep-17
The first 3 camps at Munroe's have tagged out!

15-Sep-17

PAstringking's embedded Photo
Here are two Manitoba bulls from this year....

15-Sep-17

20-Sep-17
Incredible trip with Webbers, all 8 hunters tagged out.

20-Sep-17
Nice bulls PA!

21-Sep-17

22-Sep-17
FYI : Ryan St John/ Henik Lake operation is in NUNAVAT not MANITOBA. He has very good hunts.

• Sitka Gear