SBH 07-Jan-17
Chasewild 10-Jan-17
Sage Buffalo 10-Jan-17
wildwilderness 10-Jan-17
Treeline 10-Jan-17
YZF-88 10-Jan-17
t-roy 10-Jan-17
06-Jan-17
So I have a "problem". Just looking for some opinions or even someone to tell me to stop sniveling. I can draw 2 LE tags this year (1 deer and 1 elk)...but I only want one.

Here's the deal. I have had the WORST mule deer streak ever for spot'n stalk mule deer. I want it to end. The situation is a burr under my saddle to put it mildly. You name it...it's happened (ATV intrusion, hunters, wind shift, young bucks picking me off, SKUNKS, deer switching beds). My only buck so far in 7 tries was the wrong buck!

Option 1: I have enough points to draw the Book Cliffs archery tag. Actually several of you helped me last year when I drew the tag. Then I was dumb and broke my foot and turned in the tag. Pretty sure I updated those individuals they wouldn't be getting a hunt report as a result (a key courtesy IMO). Oh yeah, this is my last year on the elk waiting list so I would like to use the points otherwise they'll sit on the shelf until I draw elk again.

Option 2: I can also finally draw a Wyoming elk tag that I've been waiting 8-9 years to draw. It'd be a solo DIY hunt which I enjoy. The kicker here is if I get the deer tag I can always hunt Idaho OTC elk and have a good hunt to get my bugle fix.

I even tried to make a decision matrix normalizing cost, travel, and cost/day. Any thoughts or words of wisdom? What would you do? Flip a coin.

06-Jan-17
Hi Lunt them both, book cliffs opens early, when your done head to Wyoming. You only live once:)

06-Jan-17
Hunt them both:)

06-Jan-17
...I did buy an extra week of vacation this year.

06-Jan-17
No brainer. Hunt them both.

06-Jan-17
I can help you out with the Book Cliffs.......

06-Jan-17
Sounds like deer this year and elk next for you, me personally, I'd rather chase whitetail after elk is done so I don't have your Muledeer monkey on my back;-)

06-Jan-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Thanks for the feedback so far. Oldgoat, I went through a whitetail phase a few years ago. Bowhntr I'll apply for the Books and get a hold of you if I draw.

07-Jan-17
Mule deer have become my bowhunting nemesis, but I doubt I could ever pass up a good elk tag in favor of a good deer tag. If hunting both is an option....then hunting both is the best option!

07-Jan-17
You certainly have the time frame to hunt both.

Mid-August BC bow opener and then mid-September Wyo bow bull.

I say go for 'em both Jason.

Good luck, Robb

07-Jan-17
I would do one or the other. In my opinion you will regret burning both opportunities in the same year, and you won't get the full potential out of either one. I would apply for a slammer Elk tag in WY. and if you don't get a great tag there go into the Utah draw for the Books. Either way you will have something to look forward to next year, and you can pour all of your mental and physical resources into which ever one you draw, and reach the full potential for adventure. JMO

07-Jan-17
X2 with Elkman. You draw both & you will feel rushed with the 1st hunt trying to get it done to move on to the next one. One hunt like yours for me!

ElkNut1

07-Jan-17
My buddy is in a similar situation (off the UT elk wait list next year). He has more points than are required. We will group app for the Books archery deer and be garunteed that tag. Then as suggested, I'll put in for a good Type-1 WY elk tag requiring more points than I have that would let me hunt both seasons. Thanks for the suggestions.

It's good to have a plan.

07-Jan-17
If Elkmans plan works, that's what I would do. I'd rather KNOW I have the time to dedicate 100% to either of those tags rather then feel like I have to get back somewhere else and not give it my all. Just me though.

10-Jan-17
Focus on one hunt, get in there, live it up and enjoy it. As soon as the hunt is over, you can start looking forward to the next year.

I have a friend who burnt 4 LE tags this year...walked away regretting that decision. It's the hunt, building it from scratch, and then enjoying your time without any other thought that makes these LE tags amazing.

10-Jan-17
I've learned that the odds are against you when trying to score DIY on multiple species in one year. It can be done but I would go with Mule Deer (unless you have never shot a good elk).

10-Jan-17
Unless you are retired I would put your focus on one.

If you want a good mule deer, then you have to forget about elk! Even thinking about going on an elk hunt can affect your concentration on mule deer! This would be a good year for deer with good moisture on the Books.

10-Jan-17
Others have said it above. Focus on one at a time, unless you are retired or have lots of time off. Think I would go after the deer first, then plan out the elk hunt for next year. One more point may open up some other options in WY.

10-Jan-17
I'll focus on deer this year for sure.

I'll get an OTC elk tag and hunt it AFTER deer season. By then most of the hunters are burned out or have tagged out anyway.

10-Jan-17
I see you are from Utah. How far are the Book Cliffs from where you live?

• Sitka Gear