muzzy 13-Mar-17
muzzy 13-Mar-17
lawdy 13-Mar-17
CurveBow 13-Mar-17
TSI 13-Mar-17
Zbone 13-Mar-17
TSI 13-Mar-17
07-Jan-17
Just curious I have started a very intense year long trapping program on predators on our place in Tn.My buddy is putting a hurt on them and has gotten 6 since Christmas.3 of the males were huge over 50 lbs. and one was 70 inches long from the nose to the tip of the tail.I am interested to know what the dna is on these guys if possible.I know Pat mentioned one time about the yotes in the N.E. mostly tested positive for wolf dna.Any ideas? Lewis

07-Jan-17
Can't say I have ever used them, but dnamydog.com offers coyote, fox and wolf hybrid testing.

07-Jan-17
I know a fox when I see one...and I can see one even 100 yds. away on a crowded street...here is where the hunter instinct is an advantage...always be on hunter alert!

07-Jan-17
David , seeing a fox ain't hard. It's actually entering their lair that's the hard part....

07-Jan-17
as long as you shoot every one you can , we will be happy . I shoot some around here that looked like Germanshepards . they can easily weigh in around 50 for a male .

07-Jan-17
hey you made me laugh drycreek

07-Jan-17
My buddy pulled one from his trap Thursday Morning in Southern WV that tipped the scale at 47 pounds. I've seen them weigh more. He also pulled a bobcat that weighed 33 pounds. He was excited over that one. God Bless

07-Jan-17
Listen to the meateater podcast with prof. Dan Flores. He has some interesting things to say about coyotes and wrote a new book about them last year.

From what I remember they are all related but there has been enough separation (in time) between Western wolves and coyotes that they won't breed and those wolves will kill coyotes.

Eastern or red wolves are related much closer to the coyote and can and do breed. Making coywolves.

08-Jan-17
Thanks all for the info and the laughs got a little research to do Lewis

08-Jan-17

tobywon's Link
Lewis watch Meet the Coywolf on PBS. I hope the link works but if not The show is called Nature. Great show, very informative and even my wife watched and enjoyed it.

Meet The Coywolf | Full Episode | Nature

The coywolf, a mixture of western coyote and eastern wolf, is a remarkable new hybrid carnivore that is taking over territories once roamed by wolves and slipping unnoticed into our cities. Its appearance is very recent — within the last 90 years — in evolutionary terms, a blip in time. Beginning in Canada but by no means ending there, the story of how it came to be is an extraordinary tale of how quickly adaptation and evolution can occur, especially when humans interfere. Tag along as scientists study this new top predator, tracking it from the wilderness of Ontario’s Algonquin Park, through parking lots, alleys and backyards in Toronto all the way to the streets of New York City.

08-Jan-17
It has been proven that coyotes crossed with wolves through DNA testing.Coyotes in the West are more like foxes compared to the ones in the East.It takes a very large coyote to hit 50lbs.The biggest I have seen(Northern NY) weighed 53lbs.The local hound hunters kill 100's every year and seldom see 50lbs. Back to DNA;Blue Mountain Museum (Blue Mt.Ny) had what they thought was the last red wolf shot in the Adriondacks(1898);when tested it was a coyote/wolf cross. We have Gray Wolves cross on the ice during winter and no doubt they breed with coyotes. Further personal observation;we shoot coyotes that are blond,red and black;rare but it does happen.

08-Jan-17
That "Meet the Coywolf" on PBS was a good program, and they claim that today's eastern coyote is actually a wolf/coyote hybrid...

I know most of the adults in my area of Ohio are huge...

Had a family pack (I suspect) carrying on at night within a hundred yards behind the house a few months ago, that actually gave me the willies.... It was actually kinda scary listening to them carry on so close....

08-Jan-17
Thanks I will check that out z I know that feeling when a pack lights up it is errie sounding and I know yotes aren't supposed to weigh over 50 lbs nor be 70 inches long at least I don't think so Lewis

08-Jan-17
The Meet the Coyote show mentioned that western coyotes can't breed with wolves and that only the eastern wolf can breed with the coyote.

Out west the coyote are much smaller. Took one to buyer in Moscow, Idaho in 1976 that weighed 28 lbs. She said it was the biggest she had that year.

09-Jan-17

Zbone's embedded Photo
Just home from work - "Eleanor, what are you doing alone out here"
Zbone's embedded Photo
Just home from work - "Eleanor, what are you doing alone out here"
Zbone's embedded Photo
"Being ornery Grandpa"...8^)
Zbone's embedded Photo
"Being ornery Grandpa"...8^)
Zbone's embedded Photo
"I'll help ya feed the critters Grandpa"
Zbone's embedded Photo
"I'll help ya feed the critters Grandpa"
Zbone's embedded Photo
Good job...
Zbone's embedded Photo
Good job...
LKH - " show mentioned that western coyotes can't breed with wolves".... Don't remember that, but they are of the same genus so all lobos can biologically interbreed...

Tell ya what lewis, it was chilling... I live on the edge of small village, kinda suburbia and hear them a few times a year a couple hundred yards or so from the house over on the next hill, but that night I didn't know they were back there at the time and that close to the house when I let my lap dogs out... When I let the dogs out they usually go barking out the door to run the critters out of the yard (usually coon at night and squirrels during the day)... The lap dogs think the yard is their territory, but they usually won't venture to far out into the woods or field without me... That night their barking out the door set off the pack of yotes which were just out of sight of the porch lights... I immediately starting screaming and calling the dogs back, and these yotes were so aggressive that my yelling didn't seem to bother them as they kept up their howling, yapping, barking... After retrieving the dogs, I grabbed a big light but they were just out of view due to the foliage at the time... Am sure had I not been there, I'd have lost a dog or two that night...

Was aware there were a few yotes around cause I see one from time to time and as said hear them every once in a while... One winter just down the road from home while driving I spied one in a field feeding on a deer carcass in broad daylight about a hundred yards or so away... Pulled over and got out the binocs and watched this HUGE coyote at his feast... I got a good long look at this guy and swear he was near big as a German Sheppard... As I pulled off the side of the road for a better look, he immediately took notice and as he intently watched me I could see he was growling at me as he tried to feed undisturbed... His glaring stare looked like he wanted to eat me... I wanted to go home and grab a varmint rifle but thought better of it due to location...

I have small grandchildren come over and am wise enough to NEVER take my eyes off them when they are playing in the back yard or wonder into the back field or woods... They usually don't get too far away from me while playing, but I always keep my eyes on them...

I think I'm gonna try to blast one or a few yotes if able after bowseason in February this year... After that night couple months ago, they've declared war...8^)

09-Jan-17

Will's Link
This show was on NH PBS last week one day and it was really interesting. All about the CoyWolf as our NE Coyotes are slowly being called more and more frequently given the wolf DNA they sport. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/coywolf-meet-the-coywolf/8605/

09-Jan-17
Yep, that's the show...

From what I've gathered and determined, the northern US line or lapover of the western coyote to the eastern coyote/wolf, is likely western Ohio, or Indiana because if I remember correctly from that program, the DNA of Chicago yotes were determined to be 100% from the western subspecies, and I know the ones around here in eastern Ohio grow big, so likely a high percentage of coywolf around here... Personally have only had one chance to weigh a dead one from around here and it weighed a tad over 40 pounds, but have seen bigger... As WV Mountaineer said, they are big in WV too, so that lapover region would make sense... This whole eastern coywolf is a new evolving species, will be interesting what studies will show in the future,

09-Jan-17

lewis's embedded Photo
lewis's embedded Photo
Yea they are evolving

09-Jan-17

lewis's embedded Photo
lewis's embedded Photo
And this is what got us committed to put a hurting on these bastards 5 1\2 yr. old 10 pt.This buck weighed north of 200.Carcass found 50-60 yds.from pic.Lewis

09-Jan-17
Cool pic Pat keep on keeping on Lewis

09-Jan-17

10-Jan-17
Nice Pat,,, GOOD kill... Yeah, that's more the size seen around here... From all your pix Pat, would say you're a yote killing machine, keep up the good work...8^)

Hey Lewis, I remember the thread and that picture of that buck and the outcome of finding him dead... Sad... I'd say kill them all but will have the yote and wolf loving crowd come down on me...8^) Didn't used to feel that way until realize the aggressiveness of the ones around here... They've evolved too far...

10-Jan-17
Its been well known that when the coyote re-introduced itself back into the eastern US it had to come through Canada and it picked up some wolf DNA in the process.

I've encountered coyotes while hunting in NM, CO, NV, and AZ and all were about half the size of the eastern coyotes that I trap. The western coyotes were more curious and gullible, at least from what I saw.

The eastern coyotes have a lot more diversity. A good deal of the coyotes that I've trapped have been dark, and almost black sometimes. One was mostly black, with a white chest patch, and had shorter legs than most coyotes. It was running in a pack with the common brown coyotes.

The only known population of wild red wolves live in two counties in eastern NC, only about 70 miles south of me. Biologists have tested the DNA on some of the coyotes that I've trapped and they were confirmed to NOT have any red wolf DNA (which was good news). A game biologist friend of mine told me that he can't tell a dead coyote from a dead red wolf from an inspection. Only a DNA test can differentiate between a coyote and red wolf. They are that close.

10-Jan-17
Attended a workshop 20 years ago with another biologist on a DNA study of our coyotes in Northern NH. They were mostly red wolf. This was done because they were pushing for wolf introduction. The conclusion, the red wolf is native to this region, and through interbreeding with coyotes, are reintroducing themselves. A pack of Canadien wolves relies on big ungulates and a lot of game. Coywolves are very adaptable. They will eat anything to survive. A vet from Dartmouth studied and autopsied over 100 coyotes. Some of them held dozens of parasites and diseases that would have decimated domestic dogs and wolves. Evolution or is nature is re-establishing a native species? Time will tell. The prey will adapt as we have witnessed in the way our varying hares run ahead of beagles. Huge circles where they don't cross in the same places so as to avoid ambush. With our feeding of deer though, congregating them in areas with poor cover where they neglect to create escape trails, we will see devastation up here. We as hunters need to push for protection of winter yards. The money spent on deer feeding up here is huge. If that went into conserving the yards, our deer would be better off. Our deer up here don't die of starvation usually, they get picked off by coywolves or freeze to death. Sustainable logging beats deer feeding.

10-Jan-17
You guys bring up red wolves, wasn't it recently determined that red wolves are/were nothing more than a coyote/wolf hybrid much like the eastern coywolf, and reason they are giving up these red wolf programs?... So we are talking apples and apples here...

10-Jan-17

Zbone's Link
JULY 27, 2016:

" The red wolf is protected by the Endangered Species Act, but a new study found that it is a mix of gray wolf and coyote DNA. "

Yep, see linky:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/science/red-eastern-gray-wolves.html?_r=0

10-Jan-17
Here is the meat of the article:

"

In 2000, some scientists began to argue that the eastern population of gray wolves was in fact a separate species, which they called Canis lycaon. The Fish and Wildlife Service recognized that species in 2013, and officials argued that the gray wolf, now deemed to be limited to the western United States, was doing well enough to be taken off the list. The new analysis, published in the journal Science Advances, paints a profoundly different portrait of the American wolf. Bridgett M. vonHoldt of Princeton University and her colleagues sequenced the genomes of 12 gray wolves, six Eastern wolves, three red wolves and three coyotes, as well as the genomes of dogs and wolves from Asia. Dr. vonHoldt and her colleagues found no evidence that red wolves or Eastern wolves belonged to distinct lineages of their own. Instead, they seem to be populations of gray wolves, sharing many of the same genes.

What really sets Eastern wolves and red wolves apart, the researchers found, is a large amount of coyote DNA in their genomes. The new study revealed that coyotes and North American wolves shared a remarkably recent common ancestor. Scientists had previously estimated their ancestor lived a million years ago, but the new study put the figure at just 50,000 years ago. “I could not have put money on it being so recent,” Dr. vonHoldt said. That ancestor gave rise to two species — the predecessor of today’s gray wolves and that of today’s coyotes — somewhere in Eurasia. Dr. vonHoldt said that the two species then migrated into North America. There, coyotes evolved into small predators that specialize in taking down smaller prey. Wolves took a different path, relying on their larger size and great speed to prey on moose and other big mammals. As wolves were killed off in the East, coyotes spread from the Midwestern prairies over the past two centuries to take their place. Surviving wolves interbred with the coyotes, producing hybrid offspring. Dr. vonHoldt and her colleagues found that the genomes of Eastern wolves that lived in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario were half gray wolf and half coyote. Red wolves are even more mixed: Their genomes are 75 percent coyote and only 25 percent wolf.

"

10-Jan-17
Still a HUGE difference between big 50-60lb yotes and 120lb+ wolves.

11-Jan-17
Yeah, I know those western Canadian wolves introduced into the US Rockies may reach that 120 pound weight, but do those upper Great Lakes wolves get that big?

Maybe 80 - 90 pounds be more realistic...

11-Jan-17
Wilkipedia - "The gray wolf or grey wolf (Canis lupus[a]), also known as the timber wolf or western wolf, is a canine native to the wilderness and remote areas of Eurasia and North America. It is the largest extant member of its family, with males averaging 43–45 kg (95–99 lb), and females 36–38.5 kg (79–85 lb)."

"The eastern wolf (Canis lycaon or Canis lupus lycaon), also known as the eastern timber wolf, Algonquin wolf or deer wolf, is a canid native to the northeastern side of North America's Great Lakes region. It is a medium-sized canid which, like the red wolf, is intermediate in size between the coyote and the gray wolf. It primarily preys on white-tailed deer, but may occasionally attack moose and beaver."

"The Eastern coyote (Canis latrans var.), also known as the Tweed Wolf, or Coywolf, is a wild North American canine of mixed coyote-wolf and dog parentage that is present in New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. It was first noticed during the early 1930s to the late 1940s, and likely originated in the aftermath of the extirpation of the eastern wolf in southeastern Ontario and the Labrador wolf in the eastern Canadian maritime provinces, thus allowing coyotes to colonize the former wolf ranges and mix with the remnant wolf populations. This hybrid is smaller than the eastern wolf and holds smaller territories, but is larger and holds more extensive home ranges than the typical western coyote."

"

11-Jan-17
Taxonomy and Evolution, actually talks about the Ohio lobos - "In 2014, a DNA study of northeastern coyotes showed them on average to be a hybrid of western coyote (62%), western wolf (14%), eastern wolf (13%), and domestic dog (11%) in their nuclear genome. The hybrid swarm extended into the midwestern United States, with Ohio coyotes shown on average to be a hybrid of western coyote (66%), western wolf (11%), eastern wolf (12%), and domestic dog (10%) in their nuclear genome. Coyotes and wolves first hybridized in the Great Lakes region, followed by a hybrid coyote expansion that created the largest mammalian hybrid zone known.

For northeastern coyotes, hybridization with the dog was estimated to have occurred between 11 and 24 generations ago, and there is no evidence of recent dog-coyote crossing. There was some evidence of first and second generation wolf-coyote hybrids back-crossing with coyotes. For Ohio coyotes, the wolf DNA was present in the nuclear genome but not the mitochondrial genome, indicating hybridization between male wolves and female coyotes."

11-Jan-17
About 23 years ago I was living in Fayetteville NC, I was in my basement working on an osage selfbow and listening to bluegrass on the local public radio station. The bluegrass session ended, as per usual I stayed on making yellow shavings. A show then came on about an attempt by state and federal fish and game departments to reintroduce the red wolf to keep then burgeoning deer populations in check. The reporters were describing that NC State University researchers were crossing coyotes with eastern Canadian wolves to create a new species. fast forward to 2016. On a local military base I hunt last spring biologists tagged and collared 27 whitetail fawns at birth for research purposes. Within a few days all 27 were dead, killed by these "eastern Brush wolves". In a discussion this fall with the head federal game warden in the area I relayed this story. He admitted to me it was true, the species was bred and re-introduced on purpose to do this very thing.

12-Jan-17
I once did a post-mortem on a coyote from northern MN... He'd been skinned and left out in the cold, dry air long enough to be frozen solid, anyway... Still went #48

Big dog! Made me think twice about following their tracks into a few thickets

12-Jan-17

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
This was a big northeastern male coyote that I took in November. I wish I was able to weigh him but I was about a mile from the truck and ended up case skinning it in the woods so I didn't have to carry him all the way out.

15-Jan-17

sdbowhunter's embedded Photo
I don't have anything quite like lewis but I have them going after deer on cam

15-Jan-17

I don't have anything quite like lewis but I have them going after deer on cam

15-Jan-17

15-Jan-17

In 2012 and 2013 my dad, brother, and me had deer that were weren't sure of the hits and backed out till morning and here's what we found the next morning

15-Jan-17

15-Jan-17

Here's a big one I shot last year at 17 yards that I wish I would have weighted. And if I would have known I would have called him in that close had the bow too

16-Jan-17
A picture is worth a 1000 words my buddy has trapped 9 on my place since Christmas no mercy I know they are here to stay but ever little bit helps and he got one this a.m, Lewis

16-Jan-17
Man Sd...they made quick work out of them. To strip the entire carcass and also take the head down to the skull overnight on the first 2 photos of the dead deer is incredible. They must have been on that thing quick.

17-Jan-17
They must have been. I couldn't believe they did that that fast and made me wonder how many were in the pack cleaning them out. They left nothing but skin and bones took everything

17-Jan-17
Ask Bigdan about his Mt. buck nothing left overnight Lewis

18-Jan-17
I just finished reading Dan Floes book on American Serenghetti. Its about the extirpation of all the bison, pronghorns, wolves, elk grizzlies, etc.

Our Eastern coyotes and their present size is a direct result of the American government's 75 year war to rid the West of wolves. Strychnine, among other , poisons was a major contributing factor. With the extirpation of bison, elk and pronghorns (to deprive Indians of their food sources) wolves and cousin coyotes were vulnerable to carcass baits. The poisons killed them in quick but ugly fashion.

Since wolves were pack animals, they weer much easier to eradicate. Coyotes suffered along the way too, but are not just pack animals but can be loners or small groups. Anyhow, due to low numbers and hunting pressure from bounties, poisons, etc. coyotes moved I think in the 1950's and 1960's to East of the Mississippi River into territories they previously had not occupied. Along the way, they interbred with red wolves. So our Eastern coyote is a hybrid as are almost all red wolves now.

By the way, I was shocked to learn that the bounties existed until the 1960's. So from 1885 to 1960, wolves, and other species collateral damage, were persecuted.

Coyotes have a way of self regulating their populations based on presence of other coyotes. A coyote female can have a litter of maybe 10 or more or 3 or 4 based on their territory, size and prey availability. If you could eliminate coyotes (good luck!) from a territory, it would be repopulated in short order by other packs.

Flores said that to limit coyotes consistently, you need to remove 80% of the population every year! I don't recall if this was forever or for 10 years say.

One study done in Texas on a sizable ranch involved a University and biology students and some manner of determining population. Then professional trappers worked on them for a year at a very significant cost. A year later, the population was back at 80% of the level before the trapping was done.

Sure shooting one helps a deer or three right where you hunt, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't making much of a difference.

I also have the Coyote America book, but have not started reading that one yet. By the way, I recommend reading that book to anyone as I found it very informative about many species and that pronghorns were almost as numerous as bison and that elk and grizzlies were grassland species. They retreated to the mountains to escape the persecutions from many sources and reasons. Its not an easy read like Jack Reacher novels by Lee Childer, but it was very informative.

>>>>-------->

18-Jan-17
Cbow thanks for sharing the info lewis

18-Jan-17
Over the border just a few miles from my house, a hound man shot a 70+ pound coyote. We have been hearing stories of huge coyotes showing up in New Brunswick and Northern Maine. I had a coyote get into a #2 four coil last week. He tore that trap apart and left the dog and pan twisted. He got out. Takes a big boy to do that and I just educated him big time.

18-Jan-17
Personally I've trapped a 72lb and 63lb and many 45-55lb coyotes and ours do hunt in packs.Ivcaught as many as 9 in one night on a bait.

18-Jan-17
I know of a 92lb caught several yrs ago but was likely a wolf.Recently a 90lb wolf was shot and tested pure wolf.

18-Jan-17
Best impact on saving deer is winter coyote trapping.During deep snow.

18-Jan-17
According to scientific study New Brunswick has the largest coyotes with females average 35-55lbs and males 40-80lbs and feed 80% on deer in winter.All coyotes in New Brunswick have wolf appearance and behaviors as well as hunting in packs they often howl like wolves.

18-Jan-17
"Coyotes have a way of self regulating their populations based on presence of other coyotes. A coyote female can have a litter of maybe 10 or more or 3 or 4 based on their territory, size and prey availability. "

I keep seeing that factoid repeated over and over and over as if it were some kind of extraordinary and unique ability that coyotes have to decide ahead of time how many pups are going to have come spring… And it's a load of crap!

It's very simple math…

If it takes X calories to get a female through the winter and Y calories to produce one pup, then a female with access to (X + 5Y) calories will produce five pups. If she has access to (X +10Y), she'll have 10. Or maybe she lives where life is so easy that she only needs (X-2Y) worth of calories to get herself through the winter. That's worth two more pups right there.

Coyotes that range far and wide eating mice &'freeze-dried wild plums tend to live in pairs and don't generally have large litters. Coyotes with ready access to a vast quantity of roadkilled deer are more likely to have larger litters because they're so well fed. And they are more likely to stay packed up, because with greater numbers they can defend those roadkills from other, single or paired-up 'yotes.

And of course, being 20 pounds heavier than any nomadic individual that might come cruising through your turf has its own set of advantages.

Honestly, in some areas that are completely overrun by whitetails and where human hunting pressure is clearly not sufficient to get the herds under control, then these super-coyotes May be about the only thing standing between the landscape and a complete collapse of the historic ecosystems there. Not that I expect human hunters to like it all that much, but we are never happy with numbers that the land can actually support, which is how we got into this fix in the first place.

Because if the hunting wasn't so damned easy for them and there weren't so bloody many roadkills around, the selective pressures would favor their remaining as pretty typical coyotes. It just remains to be seen whether Susie Homemaker is going to tolerate a 90 pound predator once the deer numbers have been suppressed a bit and Big Hungry Dogs start cruising her neighborhood looking for their next meal.

Because wolves are just great out there in Yellowstone where they would never bother anybody or eat any livestock… but these damn coyotes, I'll tell ya.. they're a real menace.

19-Jan-17
Good info guys, thanks for sharing....

20-Jan-17
your state DNR will send off for testing in some cases. I went to a coyote seminar a couple weeks ago. Very interesting.

20-Jan-17
My trapping buddy has taken 9 off our place since Christmas we'll see Lewis

24-Jan-17
I'm in southwestern Manitoba (about an hour from North Dakota and about 45 minutes from Saskatchewan), so our coyotes are classed as "Western Coyotes". In the last 2 years, I've trapped about a dozen that weighed over 50 pounds and two that were 60 pounds. I haven't ever had their DNA tested, but as light coloured as these are, I would assume them to be pure, or nearly pure coyote.

24-Jan-17
Is that the norm size or is that unusual just curious.Lewis

10-Mar-17
Just got trail-cam video from yesterday early AM of a HUGE coyote chasing deer behind my house... (would post the video if I could figure out how to do so) It was running a deer around the brush pile at the end if the field in the above photos with my granddaughter.... First time ever caught one on trail-cam, but it's way too close to home and it's freaking me out...

12-Mar-17
I live in eastern N.C. where the so called RED WOLVES were reintroduced . They have wiped out our deer herd, where we would see 25 deer in a morning or afternoon hunt you might see 1 in a 2 day hunt. About 90 percent of the coyote we trap have red wolf in their DNA. Dam a wolf Dam a coyote , I hope they all starve to DEATH. Forrest

12-Mar-17
lewis, to answer your question about DNA, I would think your state biologist could get it done for you. If it was me I would leave well enough alone , keep trapping and shooting, if the USFW find out you have a hybrid WOLF you are done SHOOTING so called WOLVES. This is a very sore subject in Eastern N.C. Forrest

13-Mar-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
I shot this coyote in Canada in an area that has wolves. It is smaller than many coyotes I have shot 1,200 miles south in Kansas. Coyotes look big in winter with their thick fur and small in the summer when they shed. It makes a good story to say they interbreed, but I doubt they do as much as people think. Foxes move to urban areas because coyotes kill them since they are in direct competition for food sources. I suspect the same happens with wolves and coyotes.

13-Mar-17
you guys that want to put a dent in coyotes. Look up canadien dude in Canada that snares them. Only way to do it far as I'm concerend

13-Mar-17
Thornton if that's a coyote from eastern Canada it's a first yr pup and female.Its actually not just a story that they interbred,there's been many government and private studies.But agree it's a small one.

13-Mar-17
Here foxes don't compete with coyotes for food as foxes prey primarily on small rodents.Coyotes here prey 70-80% on Deer during winter and small moose as well scavenge winter kills.Foxes are not competition but are a food source for coyotes and they do dig foxes out of their dens and do eat them.Coyotes will eat any animals it catches even bobcats are eaten and bear cubs are hunted by the packs we've witnessed this several times.

13-Mar-17

muzzy's embedded Photo
muzzy's embedded Photo
Snowmobiling in northern Maine and came across this, someone getting it done.

13-Mar-17

muzzy's embedded Photo
muzzy's embedded Photo
Different town in Maine.

13-Mar-17
TSI, we keep hearing of a big species of coyote showing up in NB. Reports of 70+ pounds. I live on the border and we are nervous about that. Have you heard anything? Hound hunting them is popular here. One friend of mine has killed over sixty this winter. I had a big one follow me and my beagle for a mile out of the woods this winter in the dark All I had was my longbow. Every time I looked back I saw his eyes in my light. He kept his distance but it was weird. Been followed before but not that far.

13-Mar-17
I couldn't read all the poats (meeting in 5 mins!), but did read Dan Flores' book "Coyote America". Yes, there is no such thing as a pure red wolf or eastern coyote anymore. As coyotes moved East (due to poisoning pressure o them & gray wolves in the West for 100 years), they interbred with red wolves and vice versa. Eastern coyotes are larger than western coyotes due to this interbreeding.

Flores book cites an instance where gray wolf semen was used to inseminate a female coyote. When the pups were born, the coyote killed them. Gray wolves & coyotes are mortal enemies, whereas the red wolf & coyote are "familiar" (whatever that technical term means!) and have interbred.

I recommend the book and also American Serengheti.

>>>>-------->

13-Mar-17
Ive caught a 72lb few yrs ago and lots 45-65lbs

13-Mar-17
"where gray wolf semen was used to inseminate a female coyote. When the pups were born, the coyote killed them"

Ummmmm, she may have killed them, but hardly likely due to genes of the sire, am sure their was other factors inciting infanticide such as maturation, etc., etc.... Mothers of many species are known to kill their young, even domestic dogs...

13-Mar-17
New brunswicks coyotes are crossed with grey wolves!pne shot was tested pure grey wolf which are larger than red wolves perhaps that why there's an enomoly here.The greys are coming from northern Quebec and Labrador via the ice in winter.

• Sitka Gear