HDE 11-Jan-17
timberdoodle 13-Jan-17
dr. bob 13-Jan-17
07-Jan-17
Rally for Public Lands!

Join us at the capitol in Helena at noon on January 30

Hi Robert,

Our public lands are under attack.

On Tuesday, the House of Representatives passed a rule change that would make it easier for Congress to not just sell off our public lands, but to give them away. Montana Congressman Ryan Zinke, our likely next secretary of Interior, voted for the measure.

This comes a few days after Montana state Senator Jennifer Fielder submitted two joint resolution drafts in the legislature, one calling for a study of transfering national public lands to the state and the other calling for outright transfer – the first step in selling off our public lands.

With the changes brought on by the 2016 election, the threat of losing our public lands and our outdoor way of life is perhaps now greater than it’s ever been.

We need to fight back.

That's why we're holding a Rally for Public Lands on Monday, January 30 at noon under the State Capitol Rotunda in Helena.

This is your chance to let our elected officials know that our outdoor way of life defines who we are as Montanans, and we will always fight back against any attempts to seize the public lands that enable us to lead that life.

Join us in sending the message to our state and federal elected officials: public lands belong in public hands.

Speakers at the rally will include Governor Steve Bullock, mountaineering legend Conrad Anker, fly fishing guide and TV host Hilary Hutcheson, and K.C. Walsh, CEO of Simms fishing company.

Please let us know if you can come and if you need a ride.

Also, be sure to sign and forward around a petition in support of public lands at mtgreatoutdoors.org.

See you at the rally on January 30!

- Kayje Booker, MWA state policy director

07-Jan-17
I wish I lived closer to Montana, I'd attend. This is a serious issue that I hope every outdoors-person takes seriously.

08-Jan-17
this is not just Montana this is nation wide, they want to dispose of federal lands!

08-Jan-17
This is what happens when you let abortion, gun control and religion determine who you vote for. Then these same people who got you to vote for them screw you over on economic issues.

Federal land sales is an economic issue and once we lose them, we will never get them back.

Have you ever noticed that the NRA leaders do not really represent the common working man who depends on public lands to hunt and fish?

Oh, I am an NRA Life Member who thinks the gun show loophole should be closed.

08-Jan-17
If this were to happen, Republicans will never hold Congress or the Whitehouse again. Hope they know that...

08-Jan-17
I will be in AZ on the 30th, but would be more than happy to spread the word locally here in Helena. If you would like you can PM me with any pertinent information that you want disseminated here on a grass roots level to the archery/hunting community.

08-Jan-17
Not sure about republicans never winning again if they vote for this. A small percentage of the population hunts and recreates on federal land, all of us are affected by the debt.

I understand what previous courts have ruled regarding state license fees but if this stays with the Feds, as I think it should, anyone using federal land for recreation purposes should be charged the same, resident or not of the state that land lays within.

On other threads it is frequently mentioned that hunting is becoming a rich man's activity, yet there seems to be little support for allowing non-resident hunters fair access to federal land. To me, it is one or the other. JMHO which I know many disagree with.

08-Jan-17
Many in congress are hell bent on developing public land into shopping malls, golf courses etc. they will succeed if not stopped.

09-Jan-17

OTT2's Link
This was a pure party line vote. All yeas Republican, all nays Democrats.

Call your Representative and tell them how you feel about this BS.

09-Jan-17
Mine voted no.

09-Jan-17
LKH x2

10-Jan-17
I think selling all public lands is a good idea. The government doesn't do anything well and that includes managing land. The private sector would do a much better job.

10-Jan-17
Bob (and others):

You need to watch this video series and fully understand the negative impact that transferring land to the state would be a HUGE mistake. Randy Newberg is SPOT ON with his assessment. (copy and paste the below address, as the site won't let me insert)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvFqQuubnyI

10-Jan-17
All you have to do is review how the 22 states that were given land by the Federal Government under the State School Trust Lands program.

There has been a net loss of over 153,000,000 acres under that program of State management.

Additionally, access to those lands is not guaranteed for "public access" that we are used to in our National Forest or BLM lands. Some states allow public access and others treat these lands as private where you will be trespassing if you access without permission.

Turning over our National Forest and BLM to state management would become a nightmare.

10-Jan-17
The States cannot afford to manage these lands, that's been proven.

10-Jan-17
"Those poor sheep and cattle ranchers out west, what are they going to do when there is no more public land to graze their cattle on?"

Same thing hunters are going to do, take up knitting...

10-Jan-17
The fed just needs to figure out how to manage money. Best way is for immediate termination and kicked out if office when they don't. They have zero dollars unless we give it to them. We're the principle, they're the agent.

10-Jan-17
I guess there is no hunting in Texas?

10-Jan-17
There is no hunting for me in texas. Not my cup of tea.

10-Jan-17
I'll even go as far to say, no there is very little hunting in Texas. The rest is shooting pen raised livestock.

10-Jan-17
Hunting in TX only if you have the money.

10-Jan-17

Blakes's embedded Photo
Blakes's embedded Photo
If Federal lands are handed over to the States you can look forward to this...

10-Jan-17
Blacktail, I agree that the government doesn't do some things very well, but I do think they do a good job at managing public land, which doesn't require a lot anyway and anybody who wants to can use it. I do not like the idea of selling off assets that are not ours to pay off debts we're responsible for, but didn't take on. I think it's terrible that you've used them for 50-60 years and then support selling them and they are not yours to sell. The people they belong to are not even born.

11-Jan-17
they pay $1.38 to run a cow and a calf for a month (aum) on fed land the average on state in MT is over $14 I don't think landowners would like the increase.

11-Jan-17
But with more state owned land they could decrease their price, right...?

11-Jan-17
when have you ever payed less for anything state or fed, the purpose is to make money.

11-Jan-17
So then the fed should increase grazing fees thereby closing the gap on the deficit of managing public lands...? Isn't that the point of getting rid of them?

There seems to be a larger impact on the land transfer than just losing hunting opportunity. It will hit your pocket book as well.

11-Jan-17
When?...... When ever you use state supported schools and colleges.

Everybody hates socalism until it saves them money or makes life easier, then suddenly things are different.

11-Jan-17
I think that this is one of the poorest ideas that I have seen for a wide variety of reasons.

While every story has two sides (three or four if you listen to my hunting tales) please look at what is happening in your state... http://sportsmensaccess.org

11-Jan-17
That's pretty funny right there Purdue. I'm sure there are people on this thread, who out of spite, haven't ever went to a public park, driven on a paved road used our interstate highway system. Don't even get me started on those free loaders who walk on the sidewalk and don't even pay the tax on fuel to defray the costs!

If you want to lose access to public land, give it to the states, it really is that simple. Similar to the example Blakes posted, in Utah the State Trust Lands that are public are in the process of being closed so they can lease the property out and create additional revenue.

11-Jan-17
Heck, 85%+ of the state trust land in Colorado is totally off limits. We only have access to a small portion (approx. 15%) for hunting and fishing only for very limited time frames.

Access that is taken for granted to state lands in Utah, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, etc, etc can be taken away at the drop of a hat (change of politics). Or sold off to private interests like what has happened to the majority of the original lands granted to the states for management by the federal government.

11-Jan-17
I AM SICK OF SEEING LEGISLATION WITH ONE PARTY SUPPORTING AND ONE OPPOSING. Maybe it is time to hire representatives who support the people rather than each other. (I can dream can't I)

11-Jan-17
We had our chance a couple of months ago. Won't get another shot until 2018.

At least my state votes against the transfer. That's about the only thing good politically about it though.

13-Jan-17
Well said dr. Bob & bohntr. Pretty myopic approach. I trust that those in favor of selling the public lands will stop using them post-haste as a matter of principle, regardless of what happens?

13-Jan-17
Mr Zinke voted for the bill, only 3 republican reps did not, all dems reps did not. FACT

• Sitka Gear