IdyllwildArcher 27-Jan-17
willliamtell 27-Jan-17
GhostBird 27-Jan-17
Monmouth533 27-Jan-17
t-roy 31-Jan-17
08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
After getting food plots planted this summer, I set out some cameras to see what bucks had made it, if any new ones had shown up, and see if there were any dandys that I was going to target more than others. As the summer progressed, I got pics of several nice bucks that that might make the list.

08-Jan-17
This is going to Be good!!

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I was pretty happy with the number of good bucks I got on camera. This is the same buck as the above pic.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
Slingshot
t-roy's embedded Photo
Slingshot
Slingshot really had me excited as he has a terrific frame and I believe he is a young deer. Lots of potential. More on him later.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This is a pic from last year of a buck that I got on my "south farm". I was hoping that he made it through the winter.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Sure enough, he started showing up on my cameras. He immediately went to the top of my list.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here's a couple more candidates.

08-Jan-17
You've got a lot of great candidates. How are the interviews going? ;)

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Kota, a few have "withdrawn" their applications;-)

I showed my buddy a pic of the biggest buck and he commented " he's a giant". His wife chimed in and said you need to call him "Andre" for Andre the giant. Sounded good to me, so the name stuck.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I got a ton of video of Andre on my s. farm over the summer. This farm doesn't set up very well for morning hunts, so I knew that if I was going to get a crack at him, my best chance was going to be over a food source in the evening. Good tree stand tree spots are at a premium on this farm, so I decided that maybe I could up my chances by putting in a ground blind or two. I'm a tree stand guy with very little experience whitetail hunting on the ground, but it helped to have options so I decided on a potentially good spot to put one in.

After I planted my corn, I also planted some sorghum in a 7' circle in the spot where I was going to set my double bull. I fertilized this spot several times over the summer and it came in great.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
Before
t-roy's embedded Photo
Before
I also put in a new permanent tree stand on one corner of another plot close by, where I had also gotten pictures of Andre. You're pretty naked in this spot so I took some old woven wire fencing and stapled it in place. Then I took some oak branches that I cut in September, and weaved them into the fencing to brush this spot in.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
After pic
t-roy's embedded Photo
After pic

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I killed a really nice 8 point on this plot last year out of a cedar tree about 50 yards west of this new stand. He stood in front of where I built this new stand for 15 minutes before the doe he was following dragged him past me and gave me a shot. Practically every deer that I've seen in that plot seem to come within shooting range of this new stand. I just hadn't had time to get it put in till early this fall.

Here's a pic of him. He's the one on the right.

08-Jan-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Pretty cold in NW Illinois:) Good Luck!!!! C

08-Jan-17
I haven't seen any pics yet Charlie! I'm assuming you picked the wrong tree stand after you put those bucks to bed the other day;-)

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
The season opened in October but I don't hit it too hard until the last week or so. I'm busy trying to get caught up with the rest of my jobs, which I usually get finished up by the end of the month. A friend did connect on a monster early in the month.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
November!! I got finished with work so for the most part, I had the entire month off. I had a couple of friends from out of state that were going to be joining me for possibly the first couple of weeks.

First to show up was Stan from Ak. I had been sending him trail cam pics during the summer and he was excited to finally get here. It was pretty uneventful the first morning. I showed Stan around the farm around noon. We found a spot that Stan thought he would like to hunt. It was on the south edge of a plot. The problem was, there was only one tree big enough to hang a stand in, plus it wasn't a very big tree. He wanted to give it a try so I suggested that we hang it on the back side of the tree as well as lower so that the cedar trees behind it would help to break his outline up somewhat. We finished hanging the stand and headed out for the evening hunt. Not much action that evening.

Stan slipped into his stand the next morning, waiting for daylight. After sunrise, he did a short rattling sequence. Rustling in the leaves indicated something was coming and quickly at that. The deer popped up out the ravine and stopped behind some cedars, looking for the sparring match. Circling to the right, around the cedars, the buck ended up walking through the plantain plot about 20 yds from Stan's position. As he lifted his bow up and over to clear a branch to shoot, he bumped his rattling antlers slightly, causing the buck to freeze. Fortunately, the buck started walking again and Stan drew and shot, hitting the buck perfectly. Wheeling, the deer ran back in the direction that he came from.

I got a text from Stan stating he had just shot "Jack Handy". I told him to sit tight. I bailed out of my stand about 10 to go help Stan find his deer. It didn't take long to find him either, as he had only made it down the ravine about 30 yards. So much for Stan staying 2 weeks!

08-Jan-17
Good stuff, Troy. Bring on the rest...

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
My best friend from Oklahoma showed up a couple of days later and we hit the ground running. It was unseasonably warm in November and the rutting activity was pretty slow, but we were seeing some decent bucks, just not any of the target bucks, at least in range.

Finally, several mornings later, Quincy had a really nice 10 pointer come through and he made a great shot, watching the buck go down within sight. He died up on the flat and not down in the bottom of the ravine to boot!

08-Jan-17
Cmon Troy, let's see it already!!!

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Patience JW!

Quincy's buck had unreal mass, over 45". I had no pics of this deer. The big 8 point I killed last year as well as the other buck in the double pedestal mount pic were deer that I had no idea where they came from as well. Makes a person wonder how many bucks are out there that never end up in front of the cameras. Both Quincy's and Stan's bucks grossed over 170".

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
As the season went on, I saw some good bucks, but just couldn't get a shooter in front of me. I did rattle this buck in and got a shot at him as he circled around and ended up practically straight below me, down in the ravine. Unfortunately he wheeled at the shot and I hit him way high in the neck. After the shot, I watched him bed down about 100 yards away for about 2 hours. A doe trotted by him and he got up and started dogging her. I trailed him as far as I could but lost the trail. Got a pic of him a few days later so pretty sure he survived.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Had several friends tag some good bucks in November. This buck was over 25" inside! Crossbow kill.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Another. My buddy Jake.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
My buddy Jake's wife with her first whitetail with a bow. Pretty good start for her! BTW, she's the one who came up with the nickname "Andre"

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Another good friend of mine finally closed the deal in late November on this buck he had been after for 3 years.

You would think he would look happier ;-)

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Right around Thanksgiving, I videotaped Slingshot walking by me at 20 yards. He is easily in the 160s. That's the hardest deer I've ever passed on, but he's gonna be a unit next year if he makes it.

Got into December without any sightings of Andre or any opportunities at anything else I was willing to pull the trigger on other than a doe. We finally got some cold weather but not till late. Nothing like a hot drink to warm you up!

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
The shotgun seasons came and went and I only know of 2 bucks that I was hoping would survive, got killed. Our late muzzleloader season opens up after the shotgun seasons end and we can also bow hunt during that season, which ends January 10th. Cold weather and a food source is key during the late season and the deer were pounding mine, especially the turnips. I hunted over on my south farm several times and saw a lot of deer, just nothing big enough or close enough. I sat in my ground blinds a few times. Personally, I prefer a tree!

Finally, this past Thursday we had a NW wind which was perfect for the plot where I had most of the pics of Andre. I got there about 3:30 in the afternoon. It was 5 degrees with a wind chill of 15-20 below. I climbed into the tree and tried to face downwind as much as possible. I rarely wear anything on my face other than a mesh facenet hunting. I have a hard time finding my anchor point with something heavier on.

About 4:15 a doe came out into the field and started feeding. A few minutes later I spotted movement back in the timber where the doe had come from. I could see antlers back in the trees, and as he stepped out to the edge of the timber, I could tell it was Andre! He stood there a Few moments before finally working his way out into the plot. He was feeding about 65 yards away. Moments later, 8-10 does emerged from the trees from the same direction, and ended up feeding alongside him. They slowly began working their way to the east, towards a picked bean field with Andre in tow. If they continued on the same route, he would come by me at about 30 yards! All of the does except one straggler passed by my stand, with the single doe and Andre lagging behind about 30 yards. I had to get my arrow up and over a big tree branch. As I started moving it upward, the lone doe thought she saw something and started burning a hole through me. I froze, cursing her under my breath, greatful to have a couple of hand warmers tucked away in my gloves! She head bobbed for a couple of minutes, trying to get me to move, before finally giving up and heading towards the other does. I got the arrow over the branch and got drawn without getting busted. Andre was now standing at 30 yards broadside. I took aim, released, and hit him perfectly, tight behind the shoulder! He took off to the east out in the middle of the bean field for about 150 yards before slowing to a stop for a few seconds. He staggered and went down, trying to regain his feet, but to no avail. I couldn't believe it! First, he showed up in daylight, and secondly he came close enough for a shot!

08-Jan-17
Congrats on a great season!

08-Jan-17
Wow! Congratulations to all of you.

08-Jan-17
Slammers! Now let's see the grip and grin. :)

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
As I found him.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here's a couple more pics of him. It's amazing how you can go from an "off" season to total elation in 30 seconds! I almost didn't go out that evening, thinking he's not gonna show up in daylight. Lesson learned!

08-Jan-17
Great story T-roy!

08-Jan-17
Fantastic season! Congrats Troy!!

08-Jan-17
Congrats! Beautiful animal

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Yesterday, I took him down to my taxidermist buddy who used to score for P&Y, and we put a tape to him. I was blown away. He had over 194" of antler! Mainframe 11 pointer with almost 7" of non-typical junk, 26" beams, 22.5" inside, 43.5" of mass. All of the pics and video I had of him, I thought he would go in the low-mid 180s at best.

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
To all you guys that still have some time left, don't give up! All it takes is one time!

08-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Forgot to post this pic. Another good friend of mine killed this buck a few days before I shot Andre. A food source and cold-cold weather is a killer combination.

08-Jan-17
Very nice but I have a question. How does one become "another good friend" of yours?? Some great bucks there!! :-) Scooby

08-Jan-17
Congrats man!!!!!!! Dang it you guys and gal had a great season. You need another friend? :^)

God Bless

08-Jan-17
I already knew the ending, but the story was great. Like you said....it only takes a second to go from the lowest to the highest!

I still have a few weeks left in Ohio to get it done.

08-Jan-17
Beautiful buck, Troy! Congratulations.

08-Jan-17
2 studs right there!! Wow congrats. Those bucks blow my mind!! Huge all Of them. Be a dream come True to hunt bucks like that! Hunt

08-Jan-17
What state are you in that you get to hunt this late ?

09-Jan-17
I'm thinking about getting some new friends. My old ones keep shooting my deer!!

whackmaster,....I'm in Iowa.

09-Jan-17
Congrats on some really nice deer!

09-Jan-17
Congrats buddy!

09-Jan-17
WOW!! is all I can add to this thread!

Congrats to all your friends and yourself.

Good luck, Robb

PS. See ya in Wyo-Moose camp this fall ~~ !

09-Jan-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Thanks for the comments guys! Not many places that are more enjoyable than getting to experience God's creation, than in a tree stand!

09-Jan-17
Congrats Troy.

09-Jan-17
Congrats Troy, one hell of a buck! I cant wait to see what slingshot looks like next year!

09-Jan-17
Congrats!! That is an awesome buck!

09-Jan-17
HOLY SMOKES those are some whopper bucks taken by you and your friends this year!!! CONGRATS to all!!!

09-Jan-17
Awesome deer. Just shows why a guy with a tag needs to be in a tree. Those big boys make mistakes just have to be there.

09-Jan-17
Congrats on a great buck and a great story!

09-Jan-17
Awesome T-Roy! Great bucks and great friends, life doesn't get much better. Congrats!

09-Jan-17
WOW! Congrats!

Friends like T-roy might be harder to find than 200" WTs

09-Jan-17
AMAZING!! Let me know if you have "good Friend" openings, I can weld, build lots of cool stuff outa wood and I even cook and do windows:)

Cograts to all and God Bless!

Scar.

09-Jan-17
T-roy,

I have a good idea at how hard and methodically you have worked your plan over many years! Congrats!!! Home brew deer hunting is the best!!! The "season of all seasons!!!"

Mark

09-Jan-17
It's one thing to have big deer to hunt, it's quite another to let a 160+ walk at the end of November, wait it out till late season, then make a 30 yard shot in the freezing cold on a giant.

Congrats again, Troy. It's great to get the story along with all the pics you've been sending me. You guys are killers!

09-Jan-17
Awesome deer buddy. I've got two more chances at the "Unit" I sent you the pic of. I'll be sitting about 20 yards from that trail camera in a couple hours.

09-Jan-17
Thanks guys.........good luck Jeff!!

09-Jan-17
Gee whiz!!!! Congrats!!!! That many big deer in a friend group is INSANE! What are you feeding those things over there?!?!?

Great job, that kind of consistency doesn't happen by accident. The pics also don't do that buck justice. What a deer.

09-Jan-17
Absolutely fantastic bucks and great job delivering the story!!!

unreal ...............

09-Jan-17
Wow..... You guys kill some hellacious big bucks.

Way to stick it out till the end! Must make your success that much sweeter. Very impressive Troy, Congrats on an awesome buck!

10-Jan-17
Unbelievable!! What a season!! Just curious how many acres are you managing?

10-Jan-17
Thanks Troy. Nothing yesterday. Will give it one more try today. Wind direction is not going to be the best but I still have to give it a shot.

10-Jan-17
Ben, I'm very fortunate in that I own 275 acres myself plus my Dad has about 350 acres. It's a mixture of ag land and timber ground along a pretty good sized river system. Lots of big ravines and flats. I have quite a few food plots. I really enjoy putting in and maintaining the plots and hanging stands. It's a ton of work and kinda spendy, but I love every minute of it....well almost every minute. When the river floods, not so much!

I'm thinking of quitting this and taking up racing stock cars....It might be cheaper ;>)

10-Jan-17
Good luck Jeff!...Better take some Yaktracks today! It's a skating rink here today.

26-Jan-17
Troy, congrats on a whole slew of great bucks. I hope I am still on the list as a good friend...:)

27-Jan-17
Wow, grats! That's a ton of big bucks in one thread...

27-Jan-17
Congratulations - major width. Just about all those pix look like a P&Y hit parade. What county in Iowa are you in?

27-Jan-17
Awesome bucks. Congrats to you t-roy and all the others.

27-Jan-17
that is a great story and buck. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

31-Jan-17
Hey maxracx! Yep, you're still on the list, but it's kinda like waiting on an opening for Packers season tickets ;-)

• Sitka Gear