DEC 30-Jan-17
writer 30-Jan-17
DEC 30-Jan-17
DEC 30-Jan-17
Bowfreak 30-Jan-17
Mad_Angler 30-Jan-17
stick33 30-Jan-17
11-Jan-17
I saw the other thread for the wind drifter turkey decoys. They certaintly seem to move very well. I also like the idea of being able to carry them easily.

But...

I already own DSDs and I love how realistic they look.

Has anyone modified the DSD base to get it to move in the wind?

11-Jan-17
To allow movement I don't put the rubber o ring in the stake hole of the bird.

11-Jan-17
Mad, you can add a pull string to the tail if you want them to move a little. Set them up at a slight angle so they naturally want to spin away from your blind on the stake with the rubber 0 ring removed (I throw this away first thing lol). You can pull the string to get them to rotate a little and then naturally let them rotate back. Gives the impression they are walking.

11-Jan-17
Make sure it is legal where you hunt. Electronic or Mechanical (i.e. string) devices to provide turkey decoys movement is not legal in Alabama. Wind movement is OK.

11-Jan-17
You have to remember, Alabama is the bastion of "old school" turkey hunting. Turkey decoys were not even legal here until 2004 and I remember the legalization ruffled a few feathers...he, he. Decoys are still not legal for the fall hunts that take place in only a few counties.

11-Jan-17
Decoy Sled for the DSD is deadly.Slight modification to the stake to use it but once it's done very easy to move decoy with easy set up.Not much to carry either.

11-Jan-17
This is what I use... Goes 180 degrees then goes back the other way 180 degrees. Stops anywhere in between by the remote I have in my hand in the blind. Works awesome on my DSD Jake...

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Remote-Strut-Stake-Gen2/product/1511091243/

11-Jan-17

writer's Link
Here's the direct link as mentioned by FF. It wold be illegal in Kansas since it involves electronics.

12-Jan-17
I actually bought the RedHead remote stake mentioned above but have never put it to the test (other than my back yard). I also built a turkey sled....and never used it either! I mostly run and gun. If I did a lot of hunting from a blind I would likely use one or both of them. I don't know how many times I've set out a decoy and when toms don't see movement they head the other way...especially when henned up!

Mixing a wind drifter decoys in with your others may be an option. I've been using Ms Purrfect hens and like them a lot. They have individual feather material that moves when the breeze hits them. They are super light and compact for hauling around. In fact, they are so compact and light they are my new "go to" decoy for running and gunning....and I do a heck of a lot of hiking!

24-Jan-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
semi aggressive jake decoy seems to work with out much movement added.
semi aggressive jake decoy seems to work with out much movement added.
To make my jake or strutter move which are on a single stake, I attach two pull strings, one at the rear and the other at the front of the decoy and attach them with a large fishing swivel. I run the strings back to the blind, 10-15 yards and then play the decoys like a puppeteer. I can turn the decoys 180 degrees. Life- like for sure and plenty of movement when needed.

But with the new jake decoy I have not had to use any string movement as the incoming toms must see "red" and charges in.

30-Jan-17

DEC's embedded Photo
DEC's embedded Photo
I modified my DSD strutter a couple of years ago. Basically, I made a ring base stand for it, similar to what as a goose hunter I have used for years. I then drilled two holes up through the bottom of the decoy and using rubber tubing I looped it over a hook on the base. I never disconnect the base from the decoy now and it carries perfectly in the DSD bag. The wind allows the decoy to turn and move without spinning circles. Also the ring base is more stable for me. I found that the stake on the strutter often didn't work best for either really soft or really hard ground.

30-Jan-17
DEC - that should be a heck of an effective decoy, so rigged.

30-Jan-17
Yea it is pretty killer. With the round base the setup is easier and it is more stable than when using a stake too. Toms eat it up. Actually I have found better response out of toms when using a full fan in lieu of the jake fan that is in that photo. I know some guys hate hunting over decoys and say a strutter scares off toms, but I generally see the opposite. Toms key in and come in ready to fight most of the time.

And ... yea I only use it on very private land and only in wide open field settings. Safety is a must.

30-Jan-17

DEC's Link
This link shows about 15 seconds of movement from the wind while in my driveway. This is pretty typical of the type of side to side movement. At times you can get a little front to back bounce as well.

30-Jan-17
I google decoy sled and I don't see anything pertinent to turkey decoys. Anyone have a pic?

30-Jan-17
www.decoysled.com

Seems interesting. But what do you when you've pulled the decoy all the way in?

30-Jan-17
I did this about 4 years ago and it works awesome. Can't tell you how many opportunities it has provided on birds that were hung up out of bow range. The movement will help seal the deal the majority of the time. Not always, but it's effective no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtVegKV-eT4

• Sitka Gear