Skelly 17-Jan-17
Quinn @work 17-Jan-17
ripster 24-Jan-17
never2sharp 24-Jan-17
Paul@thefort 24-Jan-17
LKH 24-Jan-17
ripster 24-Jan-17
15-Jan-17
My son has enough points to draw 76 this year. Without access to a 4wh to get back in to some area's I hunted 6 years ago, I was thinking of looking into a possible drop camp. Can anyone send me some info on guides or services you have used that provide drop camps or semi-guided hunts? Any and all suggestions or would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

16-Jan-17
My Hunting partner and I are putting in too this year with 19 points, we know nothing about 76? any info would be great. Thanks

16-Jan-17
San Juan Outfitters might be your best bet, or Jake Powell outa Spar City.

16-Jan-17
Google Colorado unit 76 drop camps and you will find several.

16-Jan-17
It's a rare non-resident who has much personal knowledge of unit 76. I have 18 points and may apply in '18. Will probably have shoulder surgery soon and not sure I would be ready to pull a bow by this fall.

One of the problems I've encountered with drop camps is they all want a minimum of 2 hunters and I don't know anyone with points to draw.

I've been retired quite a while and will probably take a camper trailer down and hunt out of it with both tent and tarp (weather willing) if it works out that way.

17-Jan-17
Just curious how many points do you think it currently takes to draw a non resident 76 Colorado archery tag ?

17-Jan-17
Is sammy still there? He is great, Jake is too. Great unit, beautiful and steep and high! Diamox and train then train some more!

17-Jan-17
You might considered doing a semi-guided hunt through Frazier Outfitting. There were a couple of guys on this type of hunt the year I hunted with Sammy. He packs you in and you hunt from his base camp. Each day they strategize with you on where to hunt so everyone in camp is not hunting the same places, and he feeds you and packs out your elk if you get one down. And his base camps are in some of the best elk country to be found.

17-Jan-17
Thanks guys. I ran into Mr. Frazier when I was there 6 years ago. Nice guy. I have been on his website and saw the semi-guided hunts. Just wanted to check out all options and maybe talk with a fellow bowsiter who actually hunted this unit with a drop camp.

17-Jan-17
Do any of you hunters think with 19 points two NR will get it done? If so we have plans of pulling are RV there, are there any camp grounds around there. we would stay there the entire archery season with having a drop camp for 7 days.

17-Jan-17
stoddardmaya

If you take an RV, you will want a 4 wheeler also. Some of the roads are cr@p. 4 WD pickup/jeep/ATV type roads. I refused to take my pickup past Timber Hill. (Talked to a guy who did, and his running boards were ripped off) No way I would try and come in from Silverton via Stoney Pass.

17-Jan-17
a couple of years ago, it was 12 points for NR, believe it has gone up but 19 should get you in. we used Rio Grande reservoir as basepoint. there is campground on the eastside. we camped on west side of rio grande and it was open area. there are trailheads there heading SW into wilderness. the trailhead that i believe Sammy took some people in is about a mile west of this camping area. That trailhead runs to the north and you can take 4 wheelers on it and go quite a long ways north. a couple of miles in, there is a trailhead that runs west that you can use motorcycles on. Believe quite a few people have hunted the backside of this ridge.

17-Jan-17
13% of non residents drew last year that applied with 12 points. 19 points and you're basically guaranteed a tag unless you mess up the application.

24-Jan-17
I have a good outfitter friend who has outfitted in 76 for a long time!! He is a great guy and outfitter!! Prewitt Outfitters in Del Norte, Co.

24-Jan-17
Thank you, will check him out.

24-Jan-17
Jake Powell sold his outfitter business a few years back. Not sure to whom.

24-Jan-17
I googled Prewitt Outfitters and couldn't figure out which of the many listings was really Prewitt. Multiple websites.

24-Jan-17
LKH---When I googled it it was the top site. Outfitter license 157. You are welcome to message me if you would like and I can give you much more info!! I have been having server problems so if your message doesn't go through just note it on the forum and I will give you another option.

• Sitka Gear