Mad_Angler 18-Jan-17
Mad_Angler 18-Jan-17
wyobullshooter 18-Jan-17
Bullhound 18-Jan-17
Scooby-doo 18-Jan-17
wyobullshooter 18-Jan-17
wildan 18-Jan-17
18-Jan-17
I think I hear two different ways to use single pin sights.

Some folks adjust them before each shot. They measure/guess the yardage, adjust the sight, put the pin on the desired impact point, and shoot.

Other folks fix them at something like 25 yards. They measure/guess the yardage and hold the pin above or below the desired impact point and then shoot.

Do I have the two methods correct?

Which method do most folks use when hunting?

18-Jan-17
I have a single pin slider. I use the "adjust then shoot" method for 3D shoots. This year, I killed a nice deer. I had the pin set for 20 yards and he was at 20 yards. So i also held the pin on the impact point for that shot too.

18-Jan-17
Most common for shooting 3D is adjust for exact yardage prior to each shot.

Most common for hunting is having the pin set at a predetermined yardage i. e. 30yds, then hold high or low if the shot is a different yardage. The pin is normally moved only for longer shots.

18-Jan-17
I shoot almost exclusively single pin slider. Leave it at 30 yards while hunting all the time. Only time I touch/move it is if I just ranged my shot and have time to move pin. Really is easy to work with. My eyes are not as good as they used to be at dealing with bad light situations. Having one pin clears up my sight picture a bunch.

18-Jan-17
I would disagree with wyoB. Depending on what I am hunting and the type of terrain, I try and get an exact yardage and set my pin unless under 25 yards then it is always at 20 and I just hold accordingly. I know my bow and if a quick shot presents itself and I cannot range it then again I hold accordingly. Scooby

18-Jan-17
Scooby-doo, that's why I said most common, rather than always

18-Jan-17
I have been using a single pin for 20+ years,currently a HHA.Eastern hunting I set it for 27 yards and hold over/under as needed.I wouldn't shoot past 40 yards at an animal but practice to 60 yards.Just practice on your 3D target of choice and it will become natural.

• Sitka Gear