t-roy 19-Jan-17
t-roy 19-Jan-17
Scooby-doo 19-Jan-17
APauls 20-Jan-17
Ironbow 20-Jan-17
sitO 20-Jan-17
Scooby-doo 20-Jan-17
19-Jan-17
Next season Im thinking of decoying. Ive had a decoy for years but Its a pain to carry in, so its become my wifes Christmas Rudolph. This year Im getting a blind and will store it in there on non-hunt days. My questions are Buck or doe? Best times of year to use?

Any input is welcome Thanks

19-Jan-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Nov, 2, Kansas, came to buck decoy and the sound of a loud aggressive grunt. Shot, 15 yards as he circled the buck decoy.
Nov, 2, Kansas, came to buck decoy and the sound of a loud aggressive grunt. Shot, 15 yards as he circled the buck decoy.
Buck prior to the chasing phase, ie, late Oct to after the first week in November. Doe after the primary mating period, ie, mid Nov towards the end of Nov. This as been my experience, give or take a week either side of those periods.

19-Jan-17
Love my buck decoy!

Have never had much luck with my doe. She spooked off more deer than she attracted. The real does hated her.

19-Jan-17
sir misalots: If you want to sell your handle I'm interested as that characteristic follows me:)

19-Jan-17

Local live does seem to know all other doe groups in the area and when they encounter a new doe, ie, the doe decoy, they can become suspicious and stomp and blow taking the other deer with them.

On the other hand, a buck does some cruising from one home range to another so when this strange buck (decoy) shows up, it usually is not a big deal to the local does.

This doe walked by my buck decoy and did not give it much thought.

19-Jan-17
Haven't used one much but had better luck with a buck than a doe. Also, guys that use them a lot, take one antler off and use them that way. Less intimidating that way I guess.

19-Jan-17
Maybe you're dyslexic scoot!

19-Jan-17
I have pretty good luck with them the last few years. I have tried several types and my favorite has been Mr. November. It is an inflatable buck decoy, pretty realistic as it is a photo image stretched over a bladder. Only problem is I have had it attacked several times and it has been popped twice. Tinks replaced both of them for free. Late Oct right through the season is when I have used mine. Scooby

20-Jan-17
Hey Scoot - how long does it take to blow up and set up Mr October?

20-Jan-17
Other than a pain to carry in and out, I have used the Primos Harry (no longer available) with good results. I use it as a buck, sometimes one antler sometimes both. I have not had much luck with using as a doe, does don't like other does. They don't respond as negatively with a buck decoy.

I love it when they get so focused on it they forget about their surroundings. You can get away with a lot then.

20-Jan-17

sitO's Link
Lot's of good info on some previous threads, here's one(link).

20-Jan-17
Takes less then 2 minutes to blow up and stake to ground. I actually keep mine blown up most if the time as it weighs about 2 and half pounds and can be carried easily. I will also use one of the doe decoys and not blow up the legs and place her bedded with the buck decoy standing over her, as if guarding a hot doe. I think decoying has a lot to do with the "right deer" responding. I have had some charge in, some sneak in and circle and have had some bucks even larger ones just flat out act scared of the decoy. Scooby

• Sitka Gear