Keith in colorado 26-Jan-17
willliamtell 26-Jan-17
Bake 26-Jan-17
Ambush 26-Jan-17
WapitiBob 26-Jan-17
Jaquomo 26-Jan-17
David A. 27-Jan-17
20-Jan-17
This year I decided to pursue one of my top bucket-list items – a Coues hunt in AZ. Muchas gracias to several awesome, generous Bowsiters for giving me great spots, great info and guidance, maps, etc… I picked an area fairly close to the border and set out from Colorado on January 2 for a solo hunt for these wily critters. Near Tucson I stopped at a rest area and noticed a bad spot on a trailer tire. I called the closest tire shop and they said they were booked solid the next day but if I got there before 8:00 the next morning they would try to work me in.

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
So up early from the rest area, drove 40 miles to the tire shop, and when the guys saw my hunting stickers on the trailer the manager and one other guy announced they were also bowhunters and didn’t want to hold me up, and they immediately jumped on the task of replacing the tires.

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Slow internet tonight so please bear with me - lots to come....

I camped where the Bowsiter suggested, in a great little tucked-away spot in the middle of hunting. Border patrol everywhere, but only a couple other hunters a couple miles away, and they were hunting muleys in the flats, not Coues in the hills. I spent the first four days glassing and exploring the area by vehicle and on foot. I had the whole month so I was totally psyched, prepared to ease into the flow and let the hunt come to me as I learned what they do and where they live.

20-Jan-17
Keep it coming Lou!

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
It wasn’t long before I spotted my first Coues doe. I watched her for a couple hours but never saw any others with her. Since the rut was starting I expected a buck to show up at any moment. I didn’t realize they had such big ears, but since I’d never seen one before I accepted it.

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Everywhere I glassed I was spotting does. I saw some smaller bucks but only one pretty good one – except for one giant that ran in front of my truck way out on the flats at noon one day when I was returning from glassing a different canyon.

20-Jan-17
Here we go !

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The intersection of these canyons was a serious deer magnet. Too bad I was too sick to hunt it seriously.
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The intersection of these canyons was a serious deer magnet. Too bad I was too sick to hunt it seriously.
I woke up on the morning of day 4 with a sore throat. I figured “dryness”. But it quickly developed into something much worse. Probably started out as a sinus infection but I was a long way from any pharmacy so I gutted it out for a few days, hiking, packing the tripod and glass, sitting in a ground blind at a great funnel where three canyons came together that was full of deer tracks. By then I had the whole gamut of symptoms, coughing stuff up all night, lack of energy, headache, persistent cough during the day. Even sitting in the ground blind I was coughing too much. I called my doc and got a prescription called in to Nogales. Since I had to go way down there I decided to try a new location. I moved my camp and journeyed to town for the scrip.

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The intersection of these canyons was a real magnet for illegals and "mules", and the BP guys caught some there on the morning I left. I would have just staked out the food and water stations.
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The intersection of these canyons was a real magnet for illegals and "mules", and the BP guys caught some there on the morning I left. I would have just staked out the food and water stations.
When I got back I heard voices in the canyon above, coming toward me. A group of 7 American youths (looked like Sanders supporter-types, four guys and three hippie girls in their 20’s) came out carrying backpacks and big full trash bags. I asked if they were picking up trash and one guy said , “Uh, yeah”. He was carrying a new nylon camo tarp under his arm, and I asked if he’d found that. “Yeah, sure”. They seemed nervous and a little edgy when I told them I would be hunting up there, but wished me luck on my outing. I thanked them for picking up trash from the scumbag illegals. The leader gave me a funny look and off they went down the road to a pickup tucked into the brush.

Later that night two BP guys came out of the canyon wearing headlamps and stopped by my camp. They asked if I had been up that canyon that day. I told them no, but then told them about the fine youths picking up trash. They looked at each other and one said, “They weren’t picking up trash, they were swapping out water jugs and supplies for the illegals. This is a regular route for drug mules.”

They suggested I might want to camp somewhere else and pointed out a spot back down the road, although they also said no illegals ever bother hunters, that they hadn’t had an incident in the 11 years either of them had worked that area. They said illegals don’t want any confrontations with hunters, who are usually armed and at the least will call them in. They also told me about a giant Coues they’d seen a couple days earlier. So after a night of not much sleep from coughing and my .357 at hand, I moved camp at daybreak.

20-Jan-17
Looking forward to the story Lou!

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
I should mention that every day there were numerous BP trucks passing my camp, parked on high knobs glassing (and napping…), riding horseback, hiking certain known canyons. I never encountered any of them where I was hunting, only everywhere else. The only illegals I saw were coming out of a canyon right at dusk where I was glassing, headed back south. They likely dropped off a load of drugs and were headed back. They passed by me at about 40 yards. One saw me and waved, and another saw me and gave me a surly look but continued on.

The next five days were two days of rain, me up most of the night coughing up goop, feeling worse, glassing during the day. I spotted deer every time out, even from camp, but could do nothing about it with the cough. The meds weren’t helping. By day 16 since leaving home I was getting tired of feeling like crap and not being able to hunt the deer I was seeing, was depressed and run down from lack of sleep and my body fighting off the bug, so I packed up to come back home.

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The two hard dips are right where that semi is
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The two hard dips are right where that semi is
All was well as I trundled along I-10, and as I approached Benson AZ I was giving my wife an update on the hands-free Bluetooth speakerphone when I suddenly went through two sharp dips on the passenger side on a long downhill grade just as a semi roared past. I was going a safe speed of 65 in a 75, my normal trailering speed. The combination of factors caused the trailer to whip wildly out to the side, and everything went seriously western in a couple seconds. I quickly pegged the trailer brake but was already completely out of control, and instantly headed sideways into the median as I rolled over. My wife heard the whole thing and was freaking out.

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Something hit me in the head, which I later learned was the remainder of a fifth of Scotch from the food box in the back. I was mostly upside down and after figuring out all my body parts worked the next thought was, “I have to get out of here in case it catches on fire!” The speaker was still on and the volume had turned up to max so my wife was screaming, which didn’t help. I spotted a hatchet I keep under the back seat so I lifted myself up and released the seatbelt, then started bashing out the driver’s window.

Just as I got it cleared (with glass falling all over me – I didn’t care..) two guys appeared and got the door open enough against the overhanging limb so I could get out. (I later realized that since Gail was screaming through the speaker that there must have been power, so I could have simply hit the “window down” button. But I was in total Neanderthal mode right then, imaging being engulfed in a propane-gasoline fire any second.)

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
A few minutes later two State Troopers showed up. The first one said, “We lose trailers all the time in this exact spot. They hit those two dips and go sideways. The road settled on the right side and we keep telling ADOT they need to fix it, but they never do. Can’t believe you walked away from that. Most people leave here in an ambulance.” He pointed at debris in the median and said, “That’s not from your wreck.” He told me the trailer had actually ripped off the ball and was on its side for about 40 yards on the pavement, then showed me the drag marks. You can see the drag marks in the first photo, below my skid marks.

The other Trooper pointed to my upside down rig and said, “Look, another equalizer hitch. Those damn things cause more wrecks. Every trailer wreck we have has one of those.”. He then told me how it takes the weight off the rear wheels, which can exacerbate a problem if it gets loose. He said he quit using an equalizer on his trailers after seeing so many wrecks with them. (I’ve been hauling trailers of all sorts and sizes for 35 years and have always used equalizer hitches and bars. This is my first vehicle wreck of any kind in my life – knock-on-wood – so I’m not sure what to make of his advice to not ever use one….)

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This trailer is my baby, carefully restored and customized into a hunting camp, babied and cared-for to keep it like new. I would later learn that the woman at the insurance agency never added it to our policy like I asked some time ago, no longer worked there, and there was no record of it on the insurance. So no coverage…

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo

20-Jan-17
Glad you are OK, what a trip!

20-Jan-17
Sounds like a stellar trip. A bad one once in a while helps you appreciate the good ones!

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
) One of the Troopers took me to a UHaul place where I rented a truck and got a room at the Motel 6. I then went to the Wal Mart and asked that they save 20 boxes for me, for pickup the next morning. Among the items I brought to the motel were the handgun, the camera, phone, and the offending bottle of Scotch, which I put to “moderate” use that night. Yes, I was drinking alone, perhaps a smidge more than the recommended 3-4 oz. for an adult man, and no, I don’t care what someone else might think about it.

The next day I went to the salvage yard (more bowhunters worked there) and began the process of sorting, bagging and boxing the carnage. The only physical remnant was a sore spot on the side of my head and a small cut on my hand from the window bashing episode.

20-Jan-17
Your 'elkcamino' sure took a hit Lou

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
There was a milk carton inside the oven, a camo shirt inside a pantry cabinet strapped shut, spaghetti sauce inside a boot and my custom Depperschmidt knife under a pile of protein powder, like a Cabelas thrown inside a blender. I found a lot of stuff in very weird places but managed to get 99% of the gear. Amazingly I found my tiny $5000 hearing aids right next to each other in the carnage. I figured they were history. Some small items like broadhead blades, etc.. ended up inside ripped walls where I couldn’t reach.

Those with prurient or Puritanical moral standards may want to avert their eyes at the next photo

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
My lucky Fred Bear ad from Playboy in the early 70’s came through without a scratch. She must be truly blessed. My wife calls her my “Boobie Bow Girl”.

20-Jan-17
An aptly named title to your thread!

Glad you're OK Lou!

Mark

20-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The infamous deer hat also survived in fine shape. Honestly, except for the food mess, all my other gear, clothes, bows, arrows, glass, everything, is in remarkably good condition. The Mathews backup bow wasn’t in a case, just up on my clothes shelf and it’s fine.

20-Jan-17
Damn Lou ! I've been nearly blown off the road and then nearly sucked back into a different lane while pulling a travel trailer before. Pulled one from Williston, ND back to East Texas once. There was definitely some white knuckle time when semis passed. I'm just glad you are ok !

20-Jan-17
I am now home and beginning the process of insurance haggling, sorting all the stuff. My wife and doggies got extra-long hugs last night. I had a lot of time to reflect on the long drive home, about how incredibly lucky I am, how life is fragile as candle flame and can snuffed out in an instant. I noticed all the white crosses and memorials to loved ones along the highway. I thought about how sometimes when least expected life can slam us against a wall, or in my case against pavement and a tree – hard. We must savor every day, every little experience, every friend and every sunrise, and love those around us because in the space of a few seconds all that can be taken away.

Thanks to my friends on the Bowsite and elsewhere for the concern and support. I lost material things, which can be replaced. What I gained from the introspection about this episode is infinitely more valuable. It was truly the “trip from hell’ but I hope I am better for it.

The End....

(Not really - today I got a ridiculously low settlement offer for the Trail Runner. Turns out the adjuster looked at the wrong Toyota in the salvage lot, one quite a bit older and with 3x the miles. You'd think he would at least check the VIN number to make sure it matched......) And yes, I'm enjoying a beer in moderation right now. May have more moderation as the evening goes on.

20-Jan-17
Wow! Crazy trip, Glad you are OK Lou.

So ... what else is on your bucket list?

20-Jan-17
Glad you are Ok!! I would talk to insurance company as you were hauling the trailer with an insured vehicle. Also check homeowners policy. I too have "Booby bow girl" in my man cave and the wife refers to as just that! Sorry it did not go well for you!! Scooby

20-Jan-17
Just like I thought....... trad boobies of course..... Boobie Wall would be proud.....

Geez Lou..... what a trip.....

20-Jan-17
It's hard to believe you came out of that wreckage with a bump and a cut. I hope your insurance agent gets his crap tidied up so at least the vehicle gets covered. Sorry about the trailer, sounds like it was a good home away from home.

20-Jan-17
Scooby, it was covered on the homeowner policy but because of the age it wont get past the deductible. I've been going all around with the insurance company and my personal agent. He found the documentation where his assistant gave me the quote for the trailer insurance but never fond anything were she added it. Like a dope I don't read declarations, I just trusted it would get done.

Ace, my next bucket list item is to sort through every one of those boxes and bags from the UHaul, since it's a chaotic mess. Before that it was a free range red stag hunt, which I did as a DIY with a couple buddies who live in Oz. Tent camped at the edge of wilderness by a river, stags roaring around camp at night. Poisonous snakes and killer spiders everywhere, scorpions in our shoes, but I killed a mature stag with a stickbow and lived to tell about it. Who'da thunk a little Coues deer would nearly do me in??

20-Jan-17
Dang Lou. Glad you are ok. That was quite a trip!

20-Jan-17
Glad you are ok!! Thanks for the story and the reminder !! Hunt

20-Jan-17
I just took coues off my bucket list

20-Jan-17
Lou - Wow, what an experience. Glad you survived that. No doubt a reminder to us all. Yes - life is precious and we're not promised tomorrow...

--Mitch

20-Jan-17
Very Happy to hear that you are going to be ok Lou!!!! It's only a trailer brother! Besides, fixin up your new one will be fun and keep you outa those Bare Bow Boobie Bars!

God Bless!

Scar.

20-Jan-17
Thanks for reminding us how precious every moment truely is and should be cherished. See you in St.Louis early April!

20-Jan-17
No coues for me....

When I saw this post, I thought to myself... great. Firday night, nothing to do and now I can read this story... Was hoping for a happier ending. Glad you made it out as well as you did.....

20-Jan-17
Glad you made it out virtually untouched. Hunt from hell but on a different perspective a very lucky outcome.

20-Jan-17
Glad you're ok. Drink another cold one you deserve it.

20-Jan-17
Glad your ok Lou.

20-Jan-17
Wow, all the best - glad you came out able to think and type.

20-Jan-17
Glad your OK ...that was one hell of trip!

20-Jan-17
Glad your OK Lou. Your guardian angel was working overtime ! God bless.

20-Jan-17
Holy crap! Crazy. Glad you're ok. Counting my blessings tonight!

20-Jan-17
Holy Smokes Lou... Glad you're OK. Coues deer are dangerous, be careful out there. Come back in August when the rattlesnakes are out... Ed F

20-Jan-17
You are very fortunate Lou. Inspite of all the adversity, you have a lot to be thankful for- virtually unscratched and unharmed. What a reminder of how fragile life is and how fast life can travel.

Glad to know you are still with us. I think you can safely justify a little "over" moderation.

20-Jan-17
Damn it Lou! Glad you are alive to tell the story. I hope you'll still make the KBA banquet? I'll give you a man hug and then we can drink past moderation. :)

20-Jan-17
Wow! Glad you're ok!

That's one of those " Crap, that ain't nothin" stories that's gonna be hard to top!

20-Jan-17
Sometimes the best things in life are the things that DIDN'T happen that probably should have.....

Dittos to all the above..... in fact if they had a beer called "Moderation" I be all over it.....

20-Jan-17
Dang Lou, glad you're back and still able to tell your story!

Hopefully you'll get another crack at the gray ghost!

20-Jan-17
Scary. Glad you are ok.

20-Jan-17
Glad you made it out of the wreck. That looked pretty nasty.

20-Jan-17
I just got my annual insurance invoice today in the mail. Thanks to you, I am going over it with a fine toothed comb.

Glad that you are OK. So much for retired life....now you have to go back to work to get $$$ for a new vehicle and new trailer!!!

20-Jan-17
What an adventure!!! I'm sure glad that you made it out OK. Life can surely change in the blink of an eye.

20-Jan-17
Wow. Glad you are o.k.

20-Jan-17
Lou, I will trade you a Coues buck back strap for the Boobie Bow Girl Picture. :)

Glad you are ok. Your neighbor , Paul

20-Jan-17
Lou, all ended well as it could. glad your with us bud...

20-Jan-17
Glad you made it home safe fella. Better luck next time.

20-Jan-17
At least you didn't need more xrays! Glad to hear you are ok. You did come home with a nice rack...kinda sorta but not really!

20-Jan-17
Glad your good, bud. Talk to you soon.

20-Jan-17
Lou, Glad to have you back! And thanks for sharing, warts, dents and all.

Funny how our families seem to worry about us in the backcountry, yet it is the road trip that worries me the most. Be well Lou.

20-Jan-17
Ahh... Boobie Bow Girl... heh

Yeah...

What was this thread about again?

20-Jan-17
Lou - Time for you to go back to oz for red stag. While you're there, you can pick up one of those Conqueror UEV-440 trailers to ship back. Search "Swiss Army Knife Camping Trailer" on YouTube

Like I said, I'm very glad you got cracked by the bottle and not the hatchet.

20-Jan-17
Thanks very much, guys. I came back with a changed perspective on life, is mostly what happened.

Rick, part of my speech at the KBA banquet was focused on why we hunt, why we shouldn't put off doing what we dream of doing, and on how tenuous the spark of life really is. That was before this happened. A little seasoning just got tossed into the salad with this adventure.

Jake, I just confiscated my wife's nice 22' trailer that she used for dog showing with our daughter. Those days are over and we've just kept it for "our" occasional trips. Now the Boobie Bow Girl will also be sharing it. My new plan is to get a pickup to pull it and put my ATV in the bed. I'm not getting any younger and some of my solo elk spots can only be accessed with an ATV before striking out on foot. So as I adapt with age, so, too, will my big game accoutrements be adjusted. In a weird way this may be a blessing in disguise, albeit an expensive blessing. :-)

20-Jan-17
Lou,

sorry to hear of your tribulations. But just think: this will make an incredible lead-in story to next year's tale when you kill the WR Coues.

I have a 29 foot camper. I'll bring it next year and you can just bring yourself and Boobie Bow Girl and we'll call it even. We'll toast to her and to your/our mortality.

20-Jan-17
Lou, so glad you're here to tell us the story! You are so right, life can change on a dime. Thank God for His protection.

20-Jan-17
Dang, Uncle Louie! Glad you're ok. I was gonna ask if you wanted to go fishn but now I guess I'll point out that I'm a Jack of all trades and can help rehab/rebuild the camper if that's the plan.

20-Jan-17
Wait... wheres the dead deer picks?

JK Lou. Glad Your ok.

20-Jan-17
WOW !!! Glad your ok my friend !! Hell of a story

20-Jan-17
Whitetails ain't easy................

20-Jan-17
Glad it worked out as well as it did brother. Make the best of it. God Bless

20-Jan-17
Wow Lou! Glad to hear you are doing well after that adventure! That Coues buck will be there for you another time, luckily you're still here and in one piece to give chase!

20-Jan-17
I've seen booby bow girl before... Larry Streiff from the P&Y Club invited me over to his house and showed me his trophy room. On the wall by his favorite trophies was a framed picture of booby bow girl... He wouldn't give it to me. Hey Lou.... Ed F

20-Jan-17
"I just took coues off my bucket list "

LOL

Lou, glad you survived our rugged terrain! Who would have guessed it would be the asphalt that was the most rugged? Did you enjoy the fact that our state highways have mile posts that are Kilometers instead of Miles, when you are close to the border?! Maybe trump will fix that when he builds the wall!!

21-Jan-17
Glad to hear that you were not hurt. Toyota and trailer can be replaced.

21-Jan-17
Lou, the poster from the 70's????? You have a current photo of the booby bow girl????

21-Jan-17
Rough trip, glad your ok after all that.

21-Jan-17
Holy crap, glad you're still here amigo...

21-Jan-17
Lou you has better send that bear add it needs to be in my cabin that don't move. What can I say did in nock out any of your lower teeth? So you can bugle any better. Every time I hunted Coues down there it got worse With the People coming over the border. In the last few years The only people we saw were hauling drugs. and were packing guns. We have not seen any people that were just coming for work any more. we stopped camping out and rented a cabin for the month then the F&G took two weeks away from are season. so I quit going. Sorry about your trip going to shit

21-Jan-17
Wow, crazy trip! Glad you're ok!!

21-Jan-17
Aptly named thread.....glad you are OK Lou!

21-Jan-17
Lou...

Cold medicine will do that to a guy. ;-)

21-Jan-17
Lou. Glad that we aren't reading about a white cross. You also have some good advice for people here.

I tipped my FJ on the drivers side this Dec after a hunt and could relate to your story. Your adrenaline is flowing, your gear is all over the car (it was all laying on me), you have to figure out how you are going to get out (opening a door straight up is HARD). My FJ was still running (much less violent than your crash) but I was having a hard time finding the ignition, radio, lights while sitting on the drivers door - just a surreal experience. Sounds like you had some good people help you in the immediate aftermath and good trooper response - that really helps because your mind is still going 100 mph (and in all directions at once). I had 4 people drive by without stopping and no cell coverage, but 911 still worked so that brought a sheriff to my site in 40 cold minutes.

I have 2 pieces of advice for people after this experience:

1) Review your insurance today. Read that 40 pages of crap. My people had dropped rental along with glass coverage on my wife's car and I didn't notice it until I needed to utilize it. They won't be my people much longer.

2) When you text your wife after an accident, make sure you tell her you are doing fine. My text was "Tipped the FJ over. Police and tow are on the way." Two hours later when I was in cell range, I had 6-7 frantic calls and texts trying to find out if I was dead (and then she would have had to deal with our crappy insurance company).

Glad that you are okay - all the 'stuff' can be replaced, but an accident like that can really make you appreciate how lucky you are in life.

21-Jan-17
Brutal experience! You deserve as much "moderation" as you want!!

21-Jan-17
Sorry for your losses Lou! I know you were fond of your hunting camp trailer. You'll enjoy sweet success again soon enough I'm sure. I'm glad for the most part you came out of this unscathed, but it will be a "hunt" you always remember. Btw, I don't drink much any more, but if had been you in that situation, I would have found the nearest bar in walking distance from the M6 and got down to business!

Better luck next time out! ;^)

21-Jan-17
Well, now I understand why your spare tire cover was signaling "distress" in that 2nd photo. ;)

21-Jan-17
Glad to hear your OK, and great post to remind everyone life can change in a instant.

Also nice to hear that the people that towed your trailer and SUV didn't help themselves with any of your equipment. Lots of stories out there of people coming to the salvage yard to find all or some of their items missing.

Something about looking over your shoulder for drug runners just doesn't sound like a good time.

21-Jan-17
Lou!

Holy crap!!

Between the cow moose trying to stomp the life out of you when you were crippled, to this Coues "hunt"....very obvious that God don't want you yet! He is either not quite ready for the likes of you, or He still has big plans for you! Unfinished business, regardless.

Either way, happy you're still here.....

21-Jan-17
Not what I was expecting when I saw the thread title. Wow, man! Glad you're ok.

21-Jan-17
lou, glad your ok, that was some ordeal, lots of luck in the future, you don't need anymore deals like this. Take care.

21-Jan-17
Wow, glad you weren't seriously injured. Sorry AZ was a disaster for you but no one said Coues was easy. There is danger around every corner, Mtn Lion, Jaguar, Bobcat, Coyote, Coati, Javelina, Deadly Snakes, Cacti, Armed Intruders and ADOT.

21-Jan-17
Glad you made it out alive Lou ! Always like reading about your hunts .

21-Jan-17
Wow! Glad you are ok. What a trip. Will you go back?

21-Jan-17
Glad your ok Lou.

21-Jan-17
Lou you are one tough hombre. Perhaps limiting your speed was the difference in not being in the meat wagon (or worse). Either way, figure that's one of your 9 lives eh?

Maybe the combi of Trump getting our border act together and most western states becoming 'grow' states will take some pressure off illegal crossings/smuggling. Agree with other posters that having to deal with smugglers doesn't seem much fun. The sad thing is that looked like really nice country. Get them next year brother!

21-Jan-17
Scary looking pics. Glad you came out ok.

21-Jan-17
Very sorry !!

21-Jan-17
Wow what a story! Sorry Lou! But glad your alright! That's scary

21-Jan-17
Glad u came thru this in one piece! Sure this is one hunt u won't forget.

21-Jan-17
Holy crap, Lou.....glad you're okay buddy! Couldn't help but think of the "Anchorman 2" scene where they roll the RV when you talked about the whiskey bottle hitting your head. lol

Build the fricken wall already!

21-Jan-17
Glad you made it back, Lou.......next year......that booner is waiting for you!

21-Jan-17
Definitely a "Hunt from Hell!" Glad you lived thru that one!

Most dangerous thing we do is drive! Hell to make it worse with a road hazard like that in the interstate.

21-Jan-17
Lou, Are you kidding me? Glad you're ok my friend, sorry bout your rig. You did have the trip from hell man, and I know it sucks. Look me up when I do shows in Denver and I'll buy you some coffee. Arizona in December and January are too good of opportunities to pass up. We'll talk sir...

21-Jan-17
Thanks guys, and some great perspectives shared here. One thing I forgot in all the excitement is what happened the night I first got sick. I was awakened from a dead sleep choking on some dinner that I "urped up". I have never choked before and flew out of bed in a panic, lurching and banging on my solar plexus in a self-Heimlich to try to clear my airway. It cleared (or I wouldn't have experienced the thrill of the wreck, obviously) but I kept thinking about rock stars and TV stars who OD'ed and died choking on their own vomit. Wouldn't that be a hell of a way to cash-in? I'd rather have the moose stomp me or the lion eat me as my final legacy.

As far as illegals bothering hunters, honestly I think that's the least of worries considering everything else that goes on with what we do. I spoke with numerous BP agents who all told me they have never had an incident with illegals bothering hunters aside from occasionally asking for water or food. Maybe spooking deer, but nothing malicious.

I used up my Nine Lives long ago. I've always believed there was some sort of plan for me, for why I keep getting spared in incidents like this, the moose, the cougar, from free-climbing falls, near misses with trees and rocks falling, swept away in raging rivers, impaled, ATV rolling on top of me and somehow miraculously missing me, kicked in the head by a horse, etc.. Too many to detail. but if God does have a plan he'd better get on with it because I ain't getting any younger and this near-miss stuff is really creeping me out.

The Boobie Bow girl - yes.. I've known girls just like her from Michigan and she probably peaked right then. Now she's my age and weighs about 300, chain smoking and living in a trailer with cats outside Escanaba because her old man died in a logging accident when he was drunk. That was her moment of glory. I got that ad off Ebay for $5.00 and had a friend with a print shop blow it up. She's been a part of my hunting camp for many years. Still will be, too!

Thanks for the kind words, all! If you need advice in the future about hunting Coues best ask someone else. I never really got started....

21-Jan-17
Lou ... wow.

My wife and I were just going over insurance stuff and your story drives home how important that is. There were some definite lacunae in our coverage, one of them being a trailer.

21-Jan-17
Holy crap!! Glad you're ok. That does sound like a trip from hell.

21-Jan-17
Glad you are ok. As to the equalizer (assuming that is the brand, and it is really a weight distribution hitch), the police officer doesn't have a clue, keep using it.

21-Jan-17
Don't forget about knocking yourself out for a bit in the mountain bike accident.

21-Jan-17
Glad your ok... Looks like the new Trump wall will be coming just in time to make it more safe down there...

21-Jan-17
Not sure what the Trump wall will do about that stretch of road, but with all the illegal traffic it won't hurt the hunting to get them and the BP out of the woods and out of our hair. And the trash they leave behind everywhere.

Orionsbrother, yes, I temporarily forgot about bashing my head in on the bike hunt. that could've easily made me worm food.

21-Jan-17
Yes, the trash is most disturbing. Folks that have never witnessed the amount of trash left behind by 100's of thousand "looking for a better life" can't even begin to comprehend the enormous amount of garbage left in the desert. Those that are caught should be sentenced to pick up trash and take it with them on the free trip south.

21-Jan-17

marvelous's embedded Photo
marvelous's embedded Photo
Glad your ok. The group down there is a humanitarian group that puts water and food out for the illegals. Most BP and others poke holes in all the water jugs and destroy the food. I think it should be illegal to do what they do. It is a war zone on the border and most people know nothing about it. I was on a trail down there this year and came onto a hiding spot that had 200 empty water bottles and all their trash. I would not hesitate to protect my self with a bow are a pistol. My friend had one show him his gun so the BP does not know it all. They hardly get out of their trucks. The rely on the eye in the sky to do their work. You take your life in your own hands driving and hunting down there. Here is the border fence down there. It is sad! Go Trump!

21-Jan-17
Good to hear your OK brother...I was gonna offer you my camper,,I have the exact same one,,, I've been going to restore her..If that new fancy ..insured ..Lol ,model, doesn't work out for ya I got ya .....

21-Jan-17
Scary stuff but an adventure you'll never forget...that's what we do right! Looking forward to shaking your hand in Feb, and I hope all of the Insurance "battles" go your way bud!

21-Jan-17
Glad you are ok Lou.

21-Jan-17
Glad you are OK! You are still here for a good reason, Praise God for that!

21-Jan-17
Savage, I love that trailer and could get it into rough places. Spent many, many nights in it and put a lot of time and money into it. But now that we're retired and income is a concern, I think I'll make do with the newer 22' and live with the limitations. It's a really nice trailer and has just been sitting there since the wife and daughter quit dog-showing.

sitO, likewise. Glad I'm still here and have hands to shake... This adventure will fit right into my talk about why each of us hunts, and the importance of doing what we do while we can. My perspective on hunting and on life was changed when a hunter I was guiding died in my arms on the mountain. We all need to step back occasionally from the pursuit of big antlers, the push to go-go-go get that next trophy, and think about our own mortality. Once again, that slapped me upside the head (literally).

21-Jan-17
Glad you were able to tell your story

21-Jan-17
All of us husbands end up in the doghouse. Just so happens, yours is 22' long.

21-Jan-17
Aaaaaaaaa! stop to smell the roses. Yep!

21-Jan-17
Lou, I feel for you and am happy that you are alive and kicking still. Some areas are simply high illegal traffic areas, others are not so much. I know you will give it another try when it's all said and done. Maybe you can get Paul N. to go with you. He found a whole lot of "entertainment" it appears from his photo. Glad you got home ok. Rich

21-Jan-17
One he'll of an experience. Glad you ok. Looks like the boobie bow girl may be your guardian angle. Mark

22-Jan-17
Lou, I was praying for you because you were sick. I now thank God that He saw fit to stretch that pray way out of proportion and protected you . You can build a new trailer and get a new car. To be in that wreck and not get killed or seriously injured is truly a blessing from God. Things like this make us appreciate what we have. Hug the wife , pet the doggies and hug the wife again .

God bless you my friend. Steve

22-Jan-17
Damn Lou! Really glad you walked away from that, the man above was look over you that day. To bad insurance companies sometimes just add salt to the wound, hope that all gets straitened out for you and the misses.

22-Jan-17
My hell Lou!!

Glad you made it out A-Okay compared to what could have happened.

The good Lord was watching over you.

Good luck, Robb

22-Jan-17
Wow, what a trip. Glad you are home in one piece.

22-Jan-17
Lou, glad you survived.....takes a lot to kill us old bowhunters! Better luck next year!

22-Jan-17
Nothing wrong with the boobie bow girl :)

22-Jan-17
You all know the old saying, " You got your ticket in your hand, just has not been punch yet" Good luck to all.

22-Jan-17
Glad you're ok Lou... take care and return strong.

22-Jan-17
Glad to hear your ok Lou!

22-Jan-17
God bless you. What a trip.... damn.

22-Jan-17
Thank God Lou...glad you came out pretty well unscathed.

22-Jan-17
Lou,

The pictures tell the complete story that you were sharing on the phone a couple of days ago.

Wowzer!

My jaw just dropped and I may or may not be drooling! She is much better looking than you said! Glad to hear the two of you made it out of the carnage in one piece and that you two still have a decent 22 foot camper to take on your getaways!

Hope we can catch up on Super Bowl Sunday and we can discuss this with a moderate about of food and beverage. Your friend, IA Bowhunter

22-Jan-17
Lou,

Glad your OK!

I plan on seeing Serb in Colorado Springs this year. If I do I promise all 3 of us are hooking up for some grub!!!

Once again glad God was looking over you!!

22-Jan-17
Glad you made it through some tough stuff Lou! You'll get the Coues that you're looking for someday.

23-Jan-17
Wow glad you made it out without being seriously hurt. Would you do that hunt again without a partner? Not that I am a sue happy person but with multiple accidents at the same sight, is the DOT of Arizona liable? The troopers mentioned there are accidents there often. IDK. I need to get that Bear advertisement!!

23-Jan-17
Lou damn glad you made it out of that wreck alive! Thanks for sharing the adventure!

23-Jan-17
Lou, glad that you made it out of that crash ok. Best of luck getting back on your feet.

23-Jan-17
Wow Lou, what a rodeo!!! Glad you are OK.

23-Jan-17
Wow.........LOU!!! I've had some bad hunts/trips before, but nothing like this! Very glad you are OK! It sure puts life and it's priorities in perspective. Stay well!

23-Jan-17
Well, that settles it.

Coues Deer can suck it !

Helluva hunt, Lou !

23-Jan-17
Thanks, guys. Negotiating for a new truck right now. Can't believe the prices.... Gaaaaack!

Ned, I would absolutely do it alone again, but would prefer to meet up with someone else. I had other Bowsiters offer to let me join them but honestly I didn't want to hunt somebody else's spot after they left.

23-Jan-17
That sure was a rough trip my friend. Glad you are alright.

That ad reaffirms that Ol Fred truly was a marketing genius! :)

23-Jan-17
Glad to hear you alright, that is scary stuff. Makes for a great story now :)

23-Jan-17
Man, so sorry Jaquomo to see you lost a nice camper and truck but dang glad you made it out ok without any injuries. Scary photos there for sure but good thing is, you can replace it all and get right on hunting again.

23-Jan-17
Roger that! I just bought a new Ford F150 supercab with the ecoboost twin turbo V6 and 157" wheelbase, off-road and max tow package....

Since I'm retired and on a fixed budget I now need to die one year sooner to be able to afford it today. You guys who aren't retired yet will understand what I mean someday. You retired guys know..

23-Jan-17
Glad your'e safe Lou. I hunted that area a few years ago and decided its not for me. One of the local ranchers was killed by the drug mules the year before I was there. Drove by his ranch every day to hunt.... I want to hunt Couse but not in that unit. I'd like to get away from the border. Take care. Mike

23-Jan-17
I understand why some folks might be concerned about safety. I guess I'm jaded - before I retired I used to go to places like Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Philly, New York, Houston, Buenos Aires, Puerto Rico, London, Tokyo, etc.. all by my lonesome, on a weekly basis, except I was always unarmed.

Being down there really didn't freak me out at all, actually less than if I was hunting and camping alone in grizzly country. Like I've said many times, and was reinforced on this trip, the most dangerous part of any hunt is the part where you're traveling. Two of my friends went to Africa to hunt. Outfitter picked them up at the airport, major crash, one was killed and the other had serious injuries. Hunters go down in bush planes in Alaska and Canada fairly often. Roy Roth (RIP) fell and died. Hunters fall out of treestands on a near-daily basis. If you aren't in some sort of peril, you aren't hunting.

23-Jan-17
you wont forget that trip any time soon....glad ya came out un hurt

23-Jan-17
Yes.... I could see how that event might leave a lasting imprint.... er, impression.... on somebody....

WRT a rodeo, did a good job keeping it kinda upright as long as you did..... but likely didn't make the full 8 seconds.... =D

Driving to and from we all seem to take for granted. I personally don't, I've been in a pretty bad one before.... day started out with pure adventure, not the way it ended. Was many years ago but still always in my mind when I drive. Only thing worse is when somebody else is driving...... my hunting partner says I've flat worn out the brakes on his passenger side.....

The way hunting travel works is long exhaustive bone weary days with little sleep (or sick thrown in for good measure) mixed with long hours, even days of travel. Bad recipe. Be careful out there folks.

23-Jan-17
Lou, you are blessed, as are we, that you are fine. Scary stuff right there.

23-Jan-17
Lou Yea when you retire things change I drive a 19 year old rig with 290,000 I did pick 2008 ford Expedition two years ago its my winter rig It was a County Cop car So it plan Jane with matts and no carpet. I only paid $5600 for it at an auction. I think the days of going down In southern Arizona and staying in a tent is over. A camper is a must. It sound like you pick up a little better towing rig. Hope to see you in St Louis

23-Jan-17
Hope you buy some lottery tickets I'll go partners glad you are ok Lewis

23-Jan-17
Lou Glad you are OK and were able to walk away from it all. Trucks and campers are replaceable. My son is a pilot, someone asked him one time what the scariest part of being a pilot was, his reply, "Driving to the airport."

23-Jan-17
Wow glad you are okay....

24-Jan-17
Happy for you that it turned out fine.

24-Jan-17
Glad you're ok Lou!

24-Jan-17
Scary Schizen! Glad yer okay hope your next trip goes good.

24-Jan-17
double post

24-Jan-17
Glad you're okay but you didn't tell us how your chest cold is...

It's a setback for sure but an angel told me one time not to worry about anything you can fix with money because there are too many things that all the money in the world can't fix. Well... she wasn't an angel when she told me that but she is now... and she was very wise...

24-Jan-17
Wow! I thought this was gonna be about illegals and drug runners. Turns out that was the safest part of the trip! ;-)

Glad things turned out OK!

24-Jan-17
Mike, the chest cold-infection is the easy part. Others who've had the same thing tell me it lasts 14-20 days. I'm on day 17 and about 85% over it. I could hunt now but still not real spiffy. In retrospect I probably exacerbated the problem by trying to power through it for the first 5 days. I told my wife when she scolded me, "We're guys, that's what we do.."

Bowsiters are amazing! Besides the wonderful outpouring of concern and well-wishers, one Bowsiter actually offered a free trailer of the exact same model, another offered to help me restore mine if I wanted to tackle it, others have offered all sorts of help and support, now and in the future. Amazing.

But nobody has yet offered to replace the fifth of Scotch. That's ok because I only get one for hunting camps anyway. But if anyone wants to contribute beer to my "sympathy fund", my favorite is Fat Tire! :-)

24-Jan-17
I just ordered the May, 1974 edition of Playboy from Ebay. It is supposed to be the one with your Bear Archery ad. I am going to keep it and read the articles. Thanks,

24-Jan-17
Lou, when I visit the brother-in-law in Brighton I will meet you and take care of the Fat Tire requirement.

I'm ready to tour the Fat Tire brewery again, I just love those Belgium inspired beers.

24-Jan-17
Mark, we have a date!

24-Jan-17
Lopro as well as I. We used to have a poster sized in the archery shops back room than it just disappeared one day we had a coworker who was obsessed with anything Bear.

24-Jan-17
Heck of a story. Glad to hear you are ok.

24-Jan-17
Glad to hear that you are unscathed from the illness and wreck. The good Lord wants you around!

25-Jan-17
Hey Lou, Just because you didn't get a big buck for your story doesn't mean you have to amp it up by rolling your rigs. That is really a hell of an accident and I'm really glad you came out alright. Knowing you you'll be back at them next year... I had a coues hunt planned this year until we found out that's when the baby would be here. How quickly priorities change. Recover well friend.

25-Jan-17
I informed my wife of my EBAY order (Thanks to you Lou!) Needless to say, she will be less impressed with booby bow girl than I am.

25-Jan-17
Congrats on the baby, Brewstro!!

Z, years ago my wife had just finished spending about 20 hours working on the inside of my trailer, customizing it for a solo big game hunting camp. I came home from a business trip and christened it with the framed Boobie Bow Girl, which she didn't know I had. That created a bit of "friction", shall we say... "So I do all this work for you while you're gone, and now you're going to sit in there and dream about that f...ing "boobie Bow Girl" when you're at hunting camp? That's the thanks I get?"

And anyone who is married can fill in the blanks about how the rest of the conversation went.

Now she's fine with it, it's a little joke between us. But at the time.....

25-Jan-17
Holy $h!t Lou! Great to hear you're ok but dang man what a story!

25-Jan-17
Certainly glad that you are OK and lived to tell the tale, but the funniest thing about this post that I haven't seen anyone mention is the script below the Boobie Girl. It states: "Ask me about Archery, Americas Second Most Challenging Sport" That is pretty funny right there on a number of levels. Perhaps you guys couldn't get your eyes off the upper portion of the ad to read it!

25-Jan-17
I spent a week in that camper one night. It was a good end though and Lou, I can't tell you how happy I am that the Fred Bear poster made it...and you of course.

26-Jan-17
Ok, I was really looking forward to a traditional Semi Live Lou hunt and was thrown for a loop! I am so sorry for your hunt but most grateful to God for keeping you here with the rest of this motley gang!

26-Jan-17
I've held off on a trailer for just the reasons in this tale. Why the heck are so many highway sections REALLY squirrelly? Seems like every trip I go through a patch where I think 'thank god I wasn't really pushing it there." In Lou's case you weren't even driving fast.

I wish highway departments paid better and faster attention to dangerous sections of roadway. I remember when I lived in Montana there was a section of I-80 by Butte that was nicknamed the Denny Washington speedbumps for reasons I won't go into now, but dang those woke you up. Life is dangerous enough, and long haul driving to hunts adds a layer I've never liked. At least a vehicle by itself you might have a chance if you bust loose (knock wood).

26-Jan-17
Glad you're all right Lou!

That's why you shouldn't pull anything with a Tonka truck :) :)

I like the poster--I get away with a LOT. I don't think my boss would let me get away with that one! :)

Bake

26-Jan-17
Fortunately you escaped with as little injury and damage as you did. Could easily have been much, much worse, by the looks of the accident scene.

I think the best you could do now is to POST A PIC of the Boobie Bow Girl!!

Then at least some good would come of your misfortune.

26-Jan-17
Quite the wreck, glad you're OK. Seems like the hwy dept would have some liability knowing the history of that spot.

26-Jan-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Wish I had a photo of her today, just for comparison. Fred's wife found out about it and forbade him from ever running that again.

Here's another - a young Marilyn Monroe. Yabba Dabba Do!!

27-Jan-17
Lou, congrats. on cheating death. You have a great outlook and like many negative events there is always a positive lesson. It comes down to a choice...

PS. try mulies next time!

• Sitka Gear