wild1 02-Feb-17
Bake 02-Feb-17
APauls 02-Feb-17
bigeasygator 02-Feb-17
ohiohunter 02-Feb-17
TD 02-Feb-17
Kevin Dill 02-Feb-17
21-Jan-17
After checking out the various Kuiu designs on the interweb, I took the plunge and ordered up an outfit. The problem I'm trying to solve with new gear is I want a system where I can quickly add/subtract layers as necessary. I want to get away from a whole pack of clothing, even for whitetail hunting, and I want to get down to just a few pieces that fit together well for all conditions from 40 degrees to about 10 degrees.

Ok, so I knew going in the Kuiu fit was "athletic", but even though I went 1 size up, this is stupid. This isn't hunting gear, it's a freaking skin suit.

Case in point. The Guide DCS jacket is advertised as being a versatile shell. Even though I wear an L, I ordered an XL and I can't even get a sweatshirt on under this jacket! Totally freaking useless. All the other stuff is the same. Skin tight, feels like wearing a full body pair of biking shorts and nothing layers.

I've seen wetsuits that have more room under them than this. At 6 feet tall and 190 pounds, I feel like a fat kid in these clothes, they're all going back.

So where do I go now? I love everything about Kuiu, the designs, the fabrics, the fit, the emphasis on lightweight.

I'm not really impressed with Sitka. Kind of old school and it seems to me I'd have to basically spend $$$$ just to essentially replicate what I've got now--a lot of individual pieces that work fine alone, but don't work together to provide versatility.

What other options do I have for high quality clothing that has variety so I can put together a system? Many thanks.

Grouse

21-Jan-17
What and where do you hunt?

You may be misunderstanding the reason these high end clothing lines are available as well as how to use them.

21-Jan-17
I'm with Nick. Most of these companies make their product so they are designed to work as a layering kit. Each of these companies have what you are looking for. Kuiu can work for your whitetail needs and has a great product, but if you're looking for just a few pieces, Sitka or First Lite are probably a better bet in the whitetail woods.

21-Jan-17
2XL sounds like the answer.

21-Jan-17
2XL sounds like the answer.

21-Jan-17
You must be a giant man! I'm 5' 10" 180 #. 32" waist and all the pants I get fit perfect. I've always used a large giude jacket but just received an xl today. I would say on average the sizing in the jacket runs 1 size small.

21-Jan-17
Agree with the above statement that sitka and first light are probably better for the whitetail woods. And remember everyone is built different. My xl fits my chest and shoulders fine but it could easily taper several inches to the waist to fit my body better.

21-Jan-17
Stretchy, clingy? No want thingie!!!

I can't STAND feeling like a stuffed casing.

21-Jan-17

21-Jan-17
I like the KUIU fit, in fact hated the fit of a good many other lines of "hunting" clothing..... terrible cuts for anything active, micro-tex pants that you have to cinch up to just below your ribs or the crotch trips you with every step..... the Attacks are the best pants I own, the fit, the stretch.... they work with you in the mountains. I'm not what anyone would call skinny I don't think..... 5"7" and about 180. But not fat, in pretty fair shape. 34 pants and large shirts/jackets, etc. fit pretty close to perfect.

Also consider what you may be using to layer with. They are not made to layer with bulky clothing. If sitting up a tree in the the whitetail woods is the use..... there are a good many other lines of clothing better adapted for that.

21-Jan-17
I like all the athletic fit. I don't care if they may seem like a skinny Jean fit...it is let to get snagged up. My sitka has been fantastic for whitetail in wisconsin with only a few layers and no bulk. And I will be able to test the open country in BC come Sept on goats!

21-Jan-17
I think some guys on here said it best about where you hunt and what your needs are. Kuiu is not gear that is made for sitting in a whitetail stand at 10 degrees, It's made for a more aggressive and on the move stalk. With that being said, I use my Kuiu in the whitetail stand in my home state OH, on those 10 degree days I simply put on my heater body suit and am good to go.

DJ

21-Jan-17
Unfortunately, up-sizing did not work for Kuiu. The problem is that the sleeves are already borderline too long in the XL, so an XXL would be way too long.

Just so that it's understood, it's not that on their own, each piece didn't "fit". It's that it did not fit for the way I feel it was intended to be worn. So the Guide jacket in XL "fit", but in the biceps and forearms it is skin tight with only a light shirt on underneath on me. This jacket is advertised as being a shell for layering. That means no versatility because I couldn't get a size L mid layer piece like the Teton jacket underneath.

To answer the other question, I want a system that works for whitetail in MN which these days is highly variable even in the late season. Here I am on 1/21 and it's almost 40 outside. So as I said, temp range from roughly 40 to 10. I would also wear it for spring turkey, and a trip to Africa is on the horizon where I would take pieces of this kit for the early mornings.

First Lite, I'll have to check them out.

I'm not sure about Sitka. I love the feel of the Fanatic jacket, but hate the weird "sari" wrap diagonal zipper is just weird. To keep the jacket on, it has to be zipped up, which limits versatility for me. Individual pieces of Sitka are nice, but again I feel like I'd have to just replicate what I have now, heavy jacket, mid jacket, base, light pants, heavy pants, etc. I must be missing the rhyme/reason in Sitka's system.

Any other brands out there I'm missing? Grouse

21-Jan-17
Nick Much ha's it correct.

You cannot be understanding the reason these high end clothes are available or not know how to use the clothing properly!!!

After all its (clothing) it takes a lot to understand its purpose and usefulness.

The advancements in (clothing) is like medical equipment or computers it changes so rapidly.

Be like Nick he is a (Big)time hunter

21-Jan-17
I basically wear XL nothing and I understand layering and the large super down is cut small bottom line.

I do agree that Kuiu is best suited Western and alpine hunting but would say that most peeps should order one size larger when ordering Kuiu. Loose and in layers still applies today as it did in yesteryear.

Famous the Sitka line will work much better for Minnesota.

21-Jan-17
Kuiu doesn't fit big guys the best. I am 6'4" and normally around 240. Based on recommendations from guys that know, I started looking at Firstlite. They have stuff to fit guys like me.

21-Jan-17
Sorry to hear but good for me...more kuiu for me!!

21-Jan-17
I don't think Jason Hairston would argue the next two sentences. KUIU wasn't and isn't designed for whitetail hunting, especially treestand use. The cut and style of KUIU means it doesn't fit everyone of all body proportions. That's no judgment of anyone here...just how it is with clothing built 'tight', athletic and made for mountain hunting primarily. I initially had some problems adapting to the closer fit of some Sitka and KUIU pieces...never really enjoyed the snug feel and body-hugging dimensions. I still don't want it for whitetails except in moderate temps. But for active hunts it's unbeatable. I know guys get a little cranked about the 'doesn't fit me' thing, but then there's a difference between an off-the-rack suit and one that's custom tailored. Sometimes off-the-rack just doesn't fit, so a guy can only keep trying.

Incidentally....I don't ever try to put much of an insulative garment under my Guide Jacket. I might have a light and heavy base layer, then the Guide. I do have just enough room to add a light vest if needed, but I generally add warmth over the top of my Guide Jacket. That way I can shed it without disrobing 50%. And finally, at least half the time I actually tuck the bottom of my Guide Jacket into the pants (Guide also) and wear it like a heavy shirt. It's warmer that way and makes for a cleaner fit at the waistline when carrying a pack, sidearm, etc.

21-Jan-17
Unless you have recently purchased and used Sitka Gear your claim that it is old school is not based on experience. I have Sitka from back when the current Kuiu owner had it. This year I purchased some new stuff after trying Kuiu and not being able to find cloths that fit. Should have purchased the Sitka to start with. Still the best nothing I have used along with my non hunting mountaineering gear.

21-Jan-17
If you like the stuff but the size Is wrong you could buy a bigger size and then have the stuff you lik in a size that fits.

21-Jan-17
What Kevin said. Light base then a heavier shirt or base, then the guide jacket, it's just not designed for much bulk under it, certainly not a teton jacket (I think the teton is a whole different system?). A good light vest (mine is a firstlite merino) adds more versatility for core temps with out adding bulk to the arms. If I need more warmth I'm normally stationary, quick and easy to throw a puffy on over that, take it off before getting more active. My puffy doesn't go on under my jacket though, only over it. If wet/windy the Yukon goes over everything. If it's really getting cold the Yukon can go over the puffy as well. Just makes it with everything I own on..... =D

21-Jan-17
I don't have a problem with an "athletic" fit, but I think sometimes they just get the size(s) wrong. One time I ordered an XL base layer and it fit like a medium - not even close.

21-Jan-17
Never had a issue with the sizing.

21-Jan-17
KUIU sizing has never worked really well for me, but I'm a bigger guy. (6'2-220-250). I have no problem with Sitka and FL. My problem with KUIU was with the consistency of bigger sizing. I owned stuff from XL to XXXL from them...ALL over the board. It seems to work best for the typical sheep guide. (6'0, 150 with a 36" inseam). So be it, that is why we have options.

21-Jan-17
I'm 6'5 and weigh 270. I called Kuiu and the lady that I spoke with pretty much told me I was out of luck just based off of my normal waste size.

21-Jan-17
I guess I am the odd man out. I have tried many of the high end lines, like Kuiu and Sitka yet for whitetail hunting I still go back to my old tried and true layering. If you are sitting in a stand and know what the conditions will be for the day dress accordingly. I myself carry all my clothes to a whitetail stand even on the coldest days. I walk in in my union suit and maybe a light shirt. Spot and stalk and hiking miles is when a lot of the specialty clothing comes into play for me. Scooby

21-Jan-17
I guess I'm built more like the typical sheep guide! After years of having to wear terribly fitting hunting clothing, I'm really glad Kuiu came to market with something for us tall skinny guys. As Kota said, it's nice to have options...

21-Jan-17
KUIU is for MOUNTAIN Hunting. Not Whitetail tree stand. It will disappoint for sitting in a tree. I've froze my ass off in 40 degree temps when sitting in a tree in the wrong clothing.

22-Jan-17
Look into FirstLite. And here is the key to their layering system..........

Whatever size you fit in their base layers, stick to that as you buy the next piece up in the system. Everything is sized slightly larger as you layer up. I made the mistake of getting an XL puffy jacket and it was too big when everything else i bought was a large. Fortunately i was able to return it for the large and it fit great.

I dont have any of their whitetail clothes, but im more an pleased with the corragate guide pants i bought for the mountains and their merino wool layers. Its good stuff.

22-Jan-17
Never had a issue with the sizing.

22-Jan-17
Shiloh, you're a big dude!

Grouse, you're 6' 190lbs and don't fit in Kuiu's XL? You're a Large at most in their stuff. I'm your height and 175lbs, and I wear the medium comfortably. It's not supposed to have a bulky sweatshirt crammed under it. Nick Muche said it best...

22-Jan-17
Surfbow, I'm 5'9. 180. I had a large guide jacket. It was way too tight in the shoulders and chest. I sent it back and got an xl. Sleeves way too long and still a little snug in chest and shoulders. I think Kota nailed it. Stuff is made for bean poles. Tall slender guys. I do have some attack pants that fit perfect. I love them. Sizing is just a Lil odd.

22-Jan-17
I'd go back to the Fanatic from Sitka. The zipper is a little weird, but the reasoning for the zipper being as it is justifies the location (full kangaroo pouch in front). I don't understand why you think the jacket must be entirely zipped to stay on? I have no problem with the jacket being zipped anywhere from 1/4 to full. For partial zip I tuck the collar inward, this being for bowhunting purposes. The jacket is too warm for 40, but anything from 30 to 10, I think you would be in the money. Just wear your base layers when around 40.

22-Jan-17

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
At 6'-0 and 200 lbs the Guide DCS jacket in XL fits me with room to spare, or layer.

22-Jan-17
Kevin, it's like I have a completely different jacket. We're about the same size although I think I'm a little wider in the shoulders and chest. I just got the Verde 2.0 camo version and I can see from your picture there's way more room in the biceps and forearms in the jacket you have. I dunno, maybe they slimmed down the cut? Or maybe I just have to get smaller biceps, maybe go from "total gunshow" to "relatively massive". ;-)

Franzen, I get the reason behind the zipper on the Fanatic and I dig the total pass-through muff. But here comes the "however..."

The reason I'm looking for a system rather than just heavy single pieces is that I don't allow use of vehicles during hunting season on my farm. We walk to all the stands, so heat control is one of the main reasons I want a system. Wear the light mid layer or the thin shell layer going in, then pull another super light layer out of the pack for glasssing or stand hunting, then again switch back to the shell for stillhunting, etc.

I also double use my camo stuff during the coyote season, and here's where heat and moisture control is huge. The Fanatic would be way too heavy. I liked that many Kuiu products have vents to fast cool without taking off anymore than necessary.

Totally agree, the Fanatic would be awesome on the stand, though. I'll probably give Sitka another look, maybe the Fanatic Lite or the Kelvin as a carry-in top layer?

Anybody heard anything or have any pieces of Cabelas new Instinct line? They're kind of going down the same slimmer/lighter direction I guess with that line. Not sure what to think, the prices are close to Sitka.

Grouse

22-Jan-17
Nick has it right.

22-Jan-17
I have tried Kuiu i both sizes. 36" pants tight in the hips and waist 38 way to big in the waist and hips. Same thing wit the guide jacket L to small XL to big. There quality is good it just doesnt work for me. I do have there gaiters and bino holder and have used the 1850 pro pack.

22-Jan-17
I had trouble finding things to fit me too. I have very broad shoulders and lift weights on the regular. I ordered about $1500 worth of shirts, pants, jackets. Sent everything back except the beanie. I wanted it, but was frustrated that nothing fit. Would love to go to their store and try on different sizes. I'd agree their stuff is more for the slender guys

22-Jan-17
To me it sounds like you want the stratus from Sitka. It has been my go to jacket for all whitetail and coyote hunts. I just wish I could get it in open country. When it comes to sitting in a stand I don't think you can beat a fanatic. The only time I have wore it while I was walking was coyote hunting in temps below zero.

Earlier you mentioned putting a sweatshirt on underneath. If your wanting a mid layer I would look at what the top end hunting clothing companies have to offer. There is a night and day difference between a UA Hoodie and the fanatic Hoodie.

22-Jan-17
First Lite with fit you well. Sitka and KUIU are great but from what your after its FL that will work from what you describe to be the problem.

22-Jan-17
Nick?

Can you please break down in Layman's terms how to wear this high intilectual clothing?

Most of us don't have a masters or PHD in the proper way to wear clothing

22-Jan-17
For anyone that hunts the mountains on a regular basis, it's fairly obvious that technical clothing can make or break a hunt. If all one does is sit in the whitetail woods, load up on your poly filled cotton from Costco and go. Just about anything BUT the technical mountain clothing will work ok in the treestand. 30 year old Predator camo, poly filled cotton from Walmart, knock yourself out, anything that will keep you warm will serve you well. However, when I go to the mountains, I want lightweight, technical clothing designed for mountain hunting.

KUIU doesn't work well at all from the treestand when it's cold, just like poly filled cotton doesn't work very well in the mountains. In "layman's" terms: Don't wear KUIU to the treestand when it's cold.. Dont wear poly filled cotton to the mountains. Nothing says you can't, but if you want to be "comfortable", use the clothing for its intended use. It is that simple...No Ph.D., no Masters required.

22-Jan-17
Love my Attack Pants. Hard to fit, I just bought up to a 36" and let the 4 way stretch fabric accommodate my unconventional proportions. lol

Kuiu is designed for active hunting and I don't want hunting pants to fit (or feel) like typical blue jeans. Frankly, they darn well shouldn't if they are worth the dollar spent on them. That stated, on stand, you could still layer down and fleece effectively to reduce weight.

22-Jan-17
As long as we have all the clothing experts on here.......anyone know the best clothing to wear to drink lots of beer, eat and sit in a camper?

Sometimes I get pretty gassy, so am thinking the vented clothing might be best?

Mark

22-Jan-17
Mark...Question: Are you alone? Or are there others staying with you? If alone AND it's warm out, some of those vented KUIU pants would serve you well. If you have guests, I got nothing...maybe a Sitka Incinerator Suit?

23-Jan-17
You might look into Pnuma clothing line. I purchased some last fall and would say it might work for you. Not so much the athletic fit but not baggy either. And definitely quality.

23-Jan-17
Mark, Use a Scentlok Heater Body Suit. Cinch it tight around the neck and tie yourself to the camper so you don't float away.

23-Jan-17
Let's be sure them zipped vents don't inhibit atv riding :)

23-Jan-17
Mark, try a kilt.

23-Jan-17
Other than the attacks being tight around my glutes, therefore I end up with a little bit of a wedgie the fit has always been great.

23-Jan-17
I order all their clothes 1 size bigger than I usually wear and fits good. I have a hard time with clothing fit because I have a real big chest.

23-Jan-17
Attacks fit me great, love them. The only item clothes wise that doesn't work for me was the guide jacket. It was too tight for my barrel chest and in the armpits too. I like the Chugach generation 1 rain gear and it fits fine.......excellent stuff.

23-Jan-17
Trewgear is the same as Kuiu but in solid colors.

23-Jan-17
Interesting take on Trewgear^^^ Looks like a lot of the same technology, though it is angled at snowboarders and skiirs. Doubt it is as quiet.

23-Jan-17
IF Kuiu takes notice of this thread.... Make your clothing available in tall sizes & i will buy it. Until then it's useless which is a shame. Thank you! ...Contact me through a pm so ya'll can send the prototypes for me to test.

23-Jan-17
For treestand deer hunting, I'm normally wearing Day One jackets in fleece with ASAT pattern. Pants sometimes, Kuiu pants, or First Lite merino wool pants.

Day One can custom make clothing based on your measurements. Give them a call.

23-Jan-17
"Kuiu sizing issues are wide spread and well known."

They don't have sizing issues. "KUIU gear has an athletic fit" is what their website says. It also says to measure your body when buying, don't just go by what size t-shirt or jeans you wear. Kuiu and Sitka fit very much the same, and clearly neither one of them are hurting for business...

23-Jan-17
surfbow...The "sizing issues" I speak of and were very frustrated with were that I was a XL in some of their stuff, a XXL in some of their stuff and a XXXL in some of their stuff stuff. To me, that is a sizing issue that I don't have with Sitka or First Lite. I'm a XXL in all Sitka outwear...all fits the same. I'm a XL in all First Lite Outerwear...all fits the same. For me personally, that is the issue, and it seems only to be an issue with their bigger sizes.

23-Jan-17
Agreed. Everything I've ever worn was like it was custom made for me. I'm 6'0" and weigh 153 lbs. Everything from all 3 major companies I've ever ordered, I've ordered in medium and it's been perfect, but I think that I'm the demographic (tall/skinny western hunter) that the stuff was designed for.

In the whitetail woods, I put on 10 lb coveralls. Two completely different applications for the clothing. The two hunting styles are completely different, so the clothes are as well.

23-Jan-17
Ditto IdyllwildArcher: I'm 6', 165 and although I stick with Sitka, provided I use the size chart the fit is perfect for me.

23-Jan-17
Another 6', 160#. I wish all my clothes fit like Kuiu's.

23-Jan-17
Folks do know when KUIU has a sale to "stock on hand" it's mostly the XXL and XXXL stuff that is overstocked, cannot move it so it's put on sale? All the 32", 34", large, med. stuff is what is always out of stock?

On such a small scale WRT a clothing company, it's pretty tough to gamble on paying for production on what are in effect odd sizes that you have been stuck with and had to eat it before. It would appear the volume for those sales is hard, or at least harder, to justify the investment and commitment to that line. To "expand" the line, so to speak, would likely damage the "brand" with their core customers.

Nothing personal.... I'm pretty sure if the demand was there they would make and sell it in a variety of cuts. Or resize/relabel it like jeans have done where a 34 is really a 36 that doesn't make you feel bad the old 34s don't fit anymore..... the industry even has a term for it I've read, "vanity sizing" or something like that...... bottom line you can't order based on your mass produced clothing size. And some sizes they likely will never be able to justify the investment in.

24-Jan-17
For treestand hunting go Day one, for mountain hunting go with Sitka.

24-Jan-17
I use Sitka gear. But I'm a western hunter. I don't get the opportunity to hunt whitetails much from a treestand. Kuiu and Sitka are made for mountain hunters. Hence the athletic cut.

24-Jan-17
"Kuiu and Sitka are made for mountain hunters."

Agree, but Sitka does have the Whitetail lineup designed expressly for (more) stationary and elevated stand hunting. It's still a closer fit than much of the average stuff, but far better for bone-chilling mornings on stand vs anything designed for active mountain hunting.

24-Jan-17
If Kuiu doesn't fit you well it is probably just to much of an athletic fit for your body type. I think Kuiu has BY FAR the best fit and quality in the industry, but we have guys in our crew that aren't "built for it". For them I suggest more of a Cabelas, or Bass Pro fit. More of an "Eastern", or "Whitetail/tree stand" fit... ;-)

24-Jan-17
Dang Ike, you're skinnier than me! :)

24-Jan-17
EXACTLY ohiohunter...Thank you.

01-Feb-17
To anyone having issues with the guide jacket fit, which seems to be a love or hate relationship, I suggest trying the peloton 240. I just received mine today and it took 2 seconds of wearing it to decide to return my guide jacket. I had a large guide jacket (which was tight in the shoulders and arms but a good fit in the body). Sold it and bought the xl (which fit in the arms and shoulders but felt huge in the body). And now have a Peloton 240 in a large. Fits perfect every where!!! So happy I didnt settle. The weight between the two is very similar. The guide jacket is louder by far. Obviously the guide has pit zips if thats a required thing. And 2 chest pockets. But I dont have the tightness in my armpits that I do with the guide jacket (which i believe is caused by the pit zips). Both have the same light fleece lining. My XL guide jacket will now be returned.

02-Feb-17
Own good bit of both Sitka and KUIU. Love em both especially for the mountain hunting they were designed for. Wear Sitka pants because the KUIU attack made me a soprano. to me KUIU is more a "skinny" fit than athletic which is surprising given that Jason is a pretty big, muscular ex football player. I am 5'9" and 180 with little fat but just a blockier shape. For Midwest whitetail hunts I love the KUIU zip off long johns to remove mid morning in my stand. Scares the neighbors tho in next stand. The super down works great under whatever KUIU jacket and merino insulation I use.

02-Feb-17
Kuiu pants are too tight in the crotch for me....

02-Feb-17
Jaq: unzip the fly to give yourself some more room :o) LOL

02-Feb-17
Nick's right. If you are trying to wear a sweatshirt under a Kuiu jacket you're using the clothing wrong. As others have pointed out, this stuff is not meant for sitting in a stand, and the pieces are meant to fit together. As an insulating layer, I'd recommend you want to wear something like a puffy vest or a heavier merino shirt (which will still be form fitting). These garments weren't meant to have a cotton sweatshirt worn as part of the layering system -- it would be far too bulky.

02-Feb-17
Obviously, I know that and I have no intention of wearing a sweatshirt while hunting. Where did I say that that was the intention?

The point, as I made clear, was that if a jacket that's designed as an OUTER layer, cannot even fit over something the thickness of a sweatshirt, how am I supposed to layer anything on underneath it? Outside of cycling lycra skinsuit, nothing would fit under this jacket. It's skin tight on most parts of my arms when I'm wearing a t-shirt. And no, I don't intend to hunt in a t-shirt.

It's all been shipped back and I'll be going with something different. Nothing's changed, I still like the designs, but the fit just isn't there for my combination of height and chest/arm girth. Pants fit were ok, but I'm not keeping just the pants.

Some good sales on just now, so I've ordered up some other options.

Grouse

02-Feb-17
I'm laughing myself silly seeing all the complaints about this company or that company not making something that fits....

Try being 5'4".

The only clothing I've ever bought off the rack that actually FIT me was a couple of suits I got right out of college - called the "Cadet" cut - extra-short, athletic. Cost me a bloody fortune, but they fit me perfectly, made me look damn good, and I can still wear 'em. Too bad the styling is 30 years behind the times....

But seriously; there are so many good products out there that if one company doesn't fit you, somebody else's will. You're only screwed if you need a smaller size than "Medium".

And yeah... when a company has gone to a lot of trouble to create a layering system, they expect you to wear nothing but their own stuff. Also "a "layering" piece is rarely intended as the TOP layer, so there's a limit to what will fit under it.

02-Feb-17
ohiohunter x2

Once again, I've had sizing issues that were NOT related to layering! Like others have stated, they get the size WRONG all to often. I ordered TWO base layers of two different sizes (no layering underneath), one a large and one an extra-large. They BOTH fit like a medium - and I'm not kidding! I couldn't believe it, it was laughable.

Also, I'm well aware that they're designed for mountain hunters, not tree stand hunters, but not all mountain hunters are tall and thin. One of my hunting partners is the strongest mountain hiker/hunter that any of us have ever seen - legs and lungs (cardiovascular) that I'd put up against any hunter, no joke - the guy is amazing, and he's built like a linebacker - not chubby, but not even close to being thin. Just my thoughts.

02-Feb-17
I like to hunt out west, but I apparently am not built for it :) I'm 5'11" 205 lbs. Carrying too much in the gut. With my body type, I'm perfect at 180 lbs. I'm rarely there anymore.

That said, Sitka has worked well for me, with the exception of two pieces that surprised me. I wear the Sitka Kelvin in Large and it is perfect! But the 90% jacket in Large is too tight. That didn't bother me, as I was able to find a store where they were in stock, and I could try them on.

The Sitka Celsius jacket I bought in a large on-line. It's too tight. Bit me there. I thought I could get away with it, so I kept it, but it's just too tight in the shoulders and arms.

02-Feb-17
I know the complaints are perfectly legitimate but what a first world problem when you step back and think about it eh?

02-Feb-17
I hear what you're saying but the layers that are meant to go underneath it are no where near the thickness of a sweatshirt. That is also why insulating vests are so popular -- they keep the core warm and don't restrict your arms. Puffy layers also have the ability to compress quite a bit making them a little more comfortable. I own a lot of Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite and pretty much none of it would work if I tried to test their fit with a sweatshirt. I've seen some pretty big guys where Kuiu. It's largely a matter of fitting the right pieces together but it's definitely not the kind of gear that you'll be swimming around in.

02-Feb-17
I honestly do not know if I own a jacket (hunting or not) that I can actually wear a sweatshirt under, if I can I'd have to shorten my draw 2" to comfortably shoot.

02-Feb-17
I get what folks are saying about ordering one size and getting a totally different item. I'm sure it can happen. But it has never happened to me from KUIU with 10 or 12 items over a few years. I'm not exactly a tall thin guy, but everything I have bought from them has fit exactly how I had expected it to, fit very well. And apparently it's the way it's worked for a good many people. I know a half dozen folks here locally that use a good deal of their gear..... never heard any issues that some are speaking to. Mostly I've heard of back order problems..... they were sold out of what someone wanted.

I don't know how much clothing other folks have bought on line, nearly all mine is, but I would guess there was going to be mix ups at some point from nearly everybody. I like Duluth Trading but have had to send a couple things back from them as well. We got it squared away. I would guess many if not most actually get to try things on in the store before buying and that is how they buy it, or most of it. I'm sure that cuts down on sizing errors a good deal. But you aren't ever going to go to a store (locally) and try on KUIU. I kinda like that too...... I hate spending money with big corporations, only if I have to. But again that's just a personal thing.

I like that they don't go to a looser fit one size fits all cut. Cabelas has a great deal of that on hand, I'd say it was the majority of the way clothing is cut, to appeal to a larger market. Many don't care for a snug fit or stretch fit, not what they are used to and doesn't feel right to them and that's fine. But it's not like there isn't anything else out there for them to wear..... I'd say 80 or 90% of it out there is cut like that. KUIU is a TINY company that has targeted a specific market..... not a mass market. A niche market. It would be insane for them to even try to bring out sizes that please/fit everyone.

I like their gear, for the quality there isn't anything else out there that compares for the money. I also have some First Lite and some other stuff. Certainly doesn't make anyone a "fan boy". It's very good stuff for a very good price and that will keep my business for as long as that continues for me.

02-Feb-17
For me the only thing that matters is final fit. I don't really care what's on the tag as long as the garment fits me correctly. Like everyone, I sometimes find a garment I like and NO size in it will work for me. Too big here...too small there...too short...too long. I'm probably more patient than I used to be with getting the correct size, and exchanging things is only a minor annoyance...worth it to get things just right. I'm not suggesting anyone else feels like I do, but when something just won't ever fit I simply move along to something else. I agree some of KUIU's sizes don't seem to agree while others do. The Guide stuff is cut very close but I can wear a thin base layer and then a 210 or 240 layer beneath mine.

I wear a medium shirt from LL Bean or Orvis. My Guide Jacket is XL. Go figure.

• Sitka Gear