HANS1 03-Feb-17
Bigdan 03-Feb-17
HANS1 03-Feb-17
Shrewski 03-Feb-17
WapitiBob 03-Feb-17
BOWUNTR 07-Feb-17
Nesser 07-Feb-17
23-Jan-17
Last night I got both my Arizona Elk and Antelope Done Easy to do. And paid $5 for my point guard.

23-Jan-17
Point guard? What's that? A new underarm deodorant?

23-Jan-17
Basketball player

23-Jan-17
I'm from KY. We have never been able to get our point guards for $5 each. Gonna have to add some zeros to get the guys good enough to play at UK. :)

23-Jan-17
Yes, Rex Chapman took a pay cut when he went to the NBA.

23-Jan-17
New Arizona rule. Let's you turn your tag in if you draw and get your points back. Have to pay for it up front though.

23-Jan-17
Rex wasn't a point guard but point taken. :)

23-Jan-17
You pay $5 to get your points back if you can't make the hunt insurance

23-Jan-17
What happens to the tags that get turned back? Does the next person in line get a phone call?

23-Jan-17
Good luck Danny. I'll do mine this week, pretty much decided on the hunts.

23-Jan-17
In it to win it.

23-Jan-17
Rex ran point when he stole 14k worth of iPhones and iPads from the Apple Store in Scottsdale a couple years ago!

24-Jan-17
I'll just do my normal early and late date (1st-n-2nd choices)----------->

Knowledge and experience in a unit is so very valuable.

Let the dice roll.

Good luck, Robb

24-Jan-17
Copy and paste from AZ G&F website. Be aware, you must surrender the tag in person.

Here are the requirements:

PointGuard is available to applicants who apply online for a hunt permit-tag. All applicants must sign up for a free AZGFD Portal account to purchase PointGuard (visit www.azgfd.gov, click on the “Sign in to Account” button in the upper right-hand corner of the home page, then select the “Create an Account” option). PointGuard is $5 per species, per applicant, purchased at the time of completing the online application, or prior to the application period deadline. The fee is non-refundable. Only one hunt permit-tag may be surrendered, per species. If an applicant is drawn in the future for that particular species, that hunt-permit tag must be used, expending all accumulated bonus points. Only then may an applicant participate again in PointGuard.

The primary applicant (the person who takes the lead in completing the online application for the other applicants) will be prompted to purchase PointGuard at the time of completing the online application. That primary applicant can purchase PointGuard for each additional applicant who has a verified Portal account.

Tag surrender application

Here is the process to surrender a hunt permit-tag:

A hunt permit-tag must be surrendered prior to the close of business the day before the start of that particular hunt. An applicant who has purchased PointGuard will present the original hunt permit-tag to be surrendered, along with a completed tag surrender application form, in person to any customer service representative at any of the department’s statewide office locations. The hunt permit-tag being surrendered and PointGuard purchase will be verified by the department. The department will restore all accumulated bonus points for that particular species, including the bonus point the applicant would have accrued if not successful in the draw. The hunt permit-tag fee is non-refundable.

A person who donates, or transfers, his or her hunt permit-tag to a qualified nonprofit organization, also can participate in tag surrender, provided the requirements listed above are fulfilled. An acceptable proof of the transfer must be provided to the department (a receipt from the qualified nonprofit organization, for example). The tag surrender application form and an acceptable proof of the hunt permit-tag being donated must be completed within 60 days of the donation, and no less than 30 days before the next application deadline for that particular species.

According to rule (R12-4-118), the department has several options for the reissuance of a surrendered hunt permit-tag. The proximity to the start of a particular hunt, the type of hunt permit-tag, and demand for that hunt permit-tag will factor into how it will be reissued.

24-Jan-17
If you surrender the tag the day before the season it seems obvious from the last sentence above there will be one less guy hunting that specie that season. There's no time to re-issue the tag. So the state gets the fee, the herd remains one stronger and the hunter gets a do-over. In 1992 golf courses started adding an eraser to the pencils we used for keeping score. I guess that was for "do-overs"!

24-Jan-17
I'm sure there would be time to re-issue the tag if it was a premium enough tag. If someone turned-in a bighorn tag, I'm quite sure they'd re-sell it to the next person in line and get the tag fee twice. On two week or longer premium hunts, like early elk, Strip deer, etc., I'm sure they'd re-sell those as well.

24-Jan-17
Spot on StickFlicker !

24-Jan-17
I was a forward. But point guard sounds good for this year.

24-Jan-17
Best of luck BigDan! Look me up when you draw.

25-Jan-17
Anybody worry about credit card problems? I've had my Cabelas card decline purchases sometimes, especially with online purchases, to avoid fraudulent activity. I always worry about that happening with my AZ apps. I don't use my Cabelas card for that reason, but who's to say that it doesn't happen with another credit card? Or what if you have to cancel your card unexpectedly because some idiot tries to steal your cards by having new cards mailed to him in New Jersey (happened last week)? Mailing in the apps with a check would be safer, but then you can't do PointGuard.

Sigh. More of my daily 'First-world' problems.

25-Jan-17
Apply early and make sure everything goes through ok.

25-Jan-17
"Apply early and make sure everything goes through ok. "

I don't see how that would completely solve Bowman's potential problem? They don't draw for another month or so after the application deadline, so whether it goes through early is no guarantee on whether something will occur in the next month or so that could cause such an issue by the draw date.

Applying with a check also means you have to wait until the results are actually released to know if you drew, whereas applying with a credit card allows you to know a couple of weeks earlier.

25-Jan-17
Interesting that you have to go in Person to return a tag on Point Guard. Would a Power of Attorney work for that?

25-Jan-17
It works by mail for a non resident. I already checked with the PIC.

25-Jan-17
Before the really big draws where CCs are hit by the various F&G depts, I call my credit card company (use Alaska Airlines cc through BofA for all of them) and let them know that this week, there may be a charge from this XX state in the range of xxx dollars to xxxx dollars. They can make a note in your account.

This ensures that I've jinxed myself adequately for every draw and will never draw a tag of a lifetime.

25-Jan-17
So a guy walks into Arizona Game & Fish the day before archery elk season opens turns in his tag and gets his points back and you think they will have an alternate Hunter using that tag the next day? I don't think that's possible but maybe the tag could be issued a few weeks later as a rifle or late season archery tag. As I read the last paragraph in GaryB's post above from the regs it is wide open as to who gets that tag? Plenty of room for bad things if not traceable.

25-Jan-17
In the past there was no option if you couldn't make the hunt, all these tags went unused and your points were gone, at least now there are a few options.

25-Jan-17
StickFlicker, correct....I forgot AZ didn't charge your card until the drawing.

25-Jan-17
They have a list of every app, in order, and can easily call the next in line. The time delay will depend on the procedures they've put in place to reissue the tag.

25-Jan-17
App is done...shot for the moon first choice...late hunt second choice

26-Jan-17
As Bob said, they have a list showing the exact order of who would have been the next person drawn for each an every hunt. It only takes a few minutes to start going down the list and calling to see if each hunter wants the tag with no real notice. As hard as ALL tags are to draw in Arizona (especially antelope, elk, bison and sheep), I don't think it would take more than a few calls to re-sell almost any tag in Arizona. Of course, they would like to have more notice than the day before, and in many cases I'm sure they will.

26-Jan-17
Nesser,

Same here! I drew last year and got my bull opening morning. 35 minute hunt that took me 4 years to draw:) Good Luck to all... As long as I get my tag first! :)

Scar.

26-Jan-17
Point guard shmoint gaurd. I'd quit my job to hunt AZ let alone cancel ANYTHING to go! I'm feeling lucky. Dead giant walking

30-Jan-17
Got mine done as well this past wknd.

If I draw it will be my 5th Az. bull elk tag in 15 years......

Good luck, Robb

30-Jan-17
I spent $5 for the point guard insurance. Had to cancel an elk hunting trip in 2014 for reasons beyond my control...so once bitten, twice shy.

30-Jan-17
My first time drawing AZ elk I got a call from Missy or Chrissy from AZ G&F just confirming I wanted the tag prior to processing my CC payment...the level of customer service blew me away. Maybe the point guard process just automates the same process (and collects $5)

01-Feb-17
I put in for a unit that I could actually draw this year. Good luck all !

01-Feb-17
If you need to change your CC data, after entering your new info, you will be moved to a confirmation page showing your new data. PRINT THE PAGE either to paper or a PDF. If you go back and check, to make sure everything is OK, you may see the old info is still there. A token with the new, updated information is correctly attaching to your license but the computer may not update the CC screen. I have been assured everything is updated but it won't appear that way if you go back and check later. Just in case, print the confirmation page. They will not correct the error until after this draw period is over. Also, they will start hitting cards within 12 hours of the CC update deadline.

02-Feb-17
I know a guy who is building points for 7 family members so he can draw tags off of their points in the future. He said point guard was a very nice surprise for him.

I'd prefer to pay $5.00 for them to guarantee to call me if there is an issue with my credit card before moving onto the next applicant.

02-Feb-17
Has anyone found out, in actual experience, that they will indeed force a NR to travel to AZ to turn back a tag?

Seems as though someone reported inquiring last year and was told that they would accept mailed return forms.

02-Feb-17
A nr does not need to go to AZ. Fact

The Commission directed the dept to stop calling bounced apps because it delayed the results. I have been told chances are good it will be reinstated after the Elk and Deer draws, providing the anticipated number of enraged applicants materializes.

03-Feb-17
People will only be enraged once, after that they will pay closer attention to the rules and the final date to update CC info. As long as there is an out to be lackadaisical about keeping your info current their will be folks (too many) that take advantage of it.

03-Feb-17
"I know a guy who is building points for 7 family members so he can draw tags off of their points in the future."

I'm sorry...WHAT? That sounds illegal or at least a dirtbag move.

If that is possible it is depressing.

Not quite as depressing as 10 minutes after I hit "submit" for points only, I had Sept 11-30 open up on my schedule. Not so happy to get point #14

03-Feb-17
Not illegal, and it is happening. None of the 7 hunt (sisters, aunts, cousins), so it's a great deal for him since he has a place in a mid-tier unit that he likes to hunt. For him, as a resident, it's a lot cheaper than playing the points game in multiple other states and paying NR fees. I don't like it either. It is pretty shady. Hopefully he turns their tags in early enough so someone else can use them.

I had my CC info stolen last week. If that had happened the day of the draw, my app would have been rejected at no fault of my own. That's what I worry about. I had just done my Utah app, so I had to go edit the info on their webpage. I'm glad I didn't have AZ done yet as it saved me a headache there.

03-Feb-17
shrewski, you can change that. I'll pm you a number to call. I believe you'll have to cancel that app, then submit another.

03-Feb-17
I think the point guard program is really going to further dilute the value of accumulated points. What the above poster eluded to with the 7 family members is that person can now use the same point "Mules" twice. So the above example will allow this person to apply and possibly draw for the next 14 years straight. The other scenario is high point holder apply with a friend or family member for a mid tier hunt to get them drawn, return there tag then have there high number of points returned. It isn't illegal at all just something to consider.

03-Feb-17
The guy I'm applying with has 11 points I have only 4 that's the way its done. there is nothing t says its unfair. If we draw neither of us will turn back our tag. But I gess you could find some one with lots of points jump on theres and after you draw they could turn there tag back in and you keep yours And they get there points back. I mite look into that maybe a new angle If some wants to hold out for unit 9 tag they can let someone else pay for there license for helping them draw a tag. Then the big point holder turns there tag back in and keeps there points

03-Feb-17
The group that I help and hunt with has done this for awhile already. Most draw every year or every other this is a unit the normally takes 6-7 points to be max points.

03-Feb-17
Applying with a partner is one thing. Applying with 7 people is a scam. Hopefully what comes around goes around...

Bob, thank you for the help, hopefully my "lone" 13 points will slip in between the scammers!

03-Feb-17
Your high point partner can only return the tag once. Require the entire party to turn the tags back and the advantage goes away.

07-Feb-17
I just put my 13 year old daughters in for their first tags.. Az has a lot of youth hunts... it's $5 for a license and $40 for an elk tag. I also put my wife if for the draw and she doesn't hunt.... but when she draws she is able to give her tag to one of my daughters. That's another Az twist... I also bought a lifetime license so that if I ever move, I'll stay in the Az resident draw pool for the rest of my life. I love Az.... Ed F

07-Feb-17
Nice Ed! Nothing wrong with making the system work for you.

• Sitka Gear