Treeline 29-Mar-17
Glunt@work 29-Mar-17
Zim1 29-Mar-17
Shrewski 29-Mar-17
Treeline 29-Mar-17
midwest 29-Mar-17
sk hoyt 30-Mar-17
23-Jan-17
Looking for any inputs others are willing to offer up. I currently have 10 points in CO for mule deer. Anyone willing to make suggestions of decent units to apply for? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks Scott

23-Jan-17
You have more than enough for some great hunts in a number of really good units. Are you planning to go rifle or archery?

23-Jan-17
Careful I am hearing a possible big winter kill fyi (certain areas).

23-Jan-17
Good call...im debating on units also with 9 points ....will be sure to wait for details on the winter kill.

24-Jan-17
Treeline- I will be going with archery. DonVathome- thanks for the input- will watch for that as well.

29-Mar-17
Anyone hearing updates on winterkill? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

29-Mar-17
I had a hunt planned in the Gunnison basin for this fall. Spoke with the biologist and he advised me to look elsewhere

29-Mar-17
The hardest hit areas are in the south-west corner up into the Gunnison Basin. The big storms were in December and January and it has been very mild since then.

I have not found any real time updates from CPW with respect to what kind of % deer loss there is down in those areas. We did have a good warm-up in February and March that should have helped by opening up a lot of feeding areas in the winter ground so that should have really helped.

It looks like the eastern plains, Colorado, Arkansas, Eagle and Yampa basins are not going to see major winterkill this year. The Gunnison Basin probably had higher than normal winterkill, but not sure how bad it really is down there. There will certainly still be at least some bucks that make it through the winter. With the low success last year in 3rd and 4th seasons, a lot of those bucks lived and will offset the winterkill.

With 10 points, you have more than enough to draw some of the best archery hunts in the state (which do not necessarily correlate to the most points required!). Truthfully, for archery, the best hunts for quality mule deer are mostly in the 0-2 point range. What kind of hunt do you want? High Country above treeline, Mid-Elevation sage brush, or Eastern Plains? Do you want to go DIY or guided? Public land or Private? They all have their plusses and minuses and you can find a big mule deer in any of the different types of terrain.

29-Mar-17
I can't decide either. I want to burn them to so I can start utilizing a whitetail spot I have that requires first choice.

11 points, resident, public land, unguided, archery preferably but not opposed to rifle or muzzleloader. Leaning towards unit 2 archery just because I like the terrain. For archery, quantity would be a factor which unit 2 isn't known for, so I'm still deciding. I need to be able to blow a few stalks :^) For rifle, size would probably matter more. I'm set up to take advantage of about any deer opportunity where the rangefinder reads under 4 digits.

Then there is the 38-55 lever gun I just received as a gift. That would be fun and any mature buck would fit the bill. I should probably decide pretty quick.

29-Mar-17
I also have 10 deer points was wanting to burn, but drew an AZ elk tag so I'm holding off on CO now. Good thing as I would also not know what to do. I tried for 66 mzl last year. Would have likely drawn this year.

29-Mar-17
Same here. Drew AZ elk too so this weekend I will be putting in for point #12. Now that I have enough points for any bow tag in the state and no chance to use it, (next year I've got plans already made as well) it kinda makes me want to go after one with my flintlock with a primo muzzy tag or go after a good November tag.

29-Mar-17
10 resident deer PP's for me as well. Thought hard about Unit 2 deer myself, but figured I would just focus on elk up there this year. Talking to the biologist, the deer numbers are still really low up there. Will kick myself in the butt if I see a 200" buck standing by the road... Which I probably will since I didn't put in for deer up there.

I put in for a 3rd season 44 deer tag to not conflict with the elk hunt, but probably don't have the points to draw it this year unless a lot of guys hold out worried about winterkill. If I do see some whopper bucks up there in 2, I will probably put in for it next year.

Really hoping I will have to turn my elk tag in when I draw that moose tag! Should have enough points to draw 2 or 201 archery elk again next year at 23.

29-Mar-17
I stopped buying at 9 pts when I realized they were virtually worthless for an archery hunter. Maybe use them in 76 to help out someone who draws an elk tag there just because I've always wanted to spend time in 76.

30-Mar-17
Treeline- I am open to any terrain, prefer DIY but am willing to do guided, and figured public ground. I would be coming from the eastern side of Nebraska, and willing to travel to wherever.

• Sitka Gear