IdyllwildArcher 23-Jan-17
John Mikulecky 23-Jan-17
Surfbow 24-Jan-17
Nick Muche 24-Jan-17
smarba 24-Jan-17
IdyllwildArcher 24-Jan-17
TEmbry 25-Jan-17
23-Jan-17
Has anyone used it that can provide a review? Specifically interested in wind/rain durability.

If anyone has any comments about any other ultra-light 1 person tents, I'd love to hear about it.

23-Jan-17
Hated the Big Agnes Flycreek UL1. Blew over (flattened) in a side wind above tree line and foot box was too small for size 13s on top of a pad.

I am interested too, but have not heard good things about the Kuiu 1 person. (Too narrow up against the pole and side wall).

23-Jan-17
My buddy had one, he had a fair amount of condensation inside after a night in the teens. It is pretty tight inside and the foot of his sleeping bag was damp in the morning. I think in good/dry weather it would be a great lightweight setup, but I wouldn't buy just for that.

23-Jan-17
I need something for Kodiak in August and elk hunting in September so it's gotta be able to take some wind and rain. I already have a nice 2 man spike tent, but I'm looking for something that's lighter for 1-2 night excursions.

I'm 6'0" 153 lbs so shoulder width is not a big problem for me because I have none. I'm more worried about staying dry in 30-40 degree temps.

23-Jan-17
Ike...There is a weight penalty, but if I'm hunting Kodiak, it is with a Hilleberg. Their tents are bomb proof and you need something bombproof on Kodiak. I'll drag a couple extra pounds with me to not have my tent no blow down around me in the night.

23-Jan-17
X2 ,Hillberge Soulo = Bombproof.

23-Jan-17
X3 on the Soulo and it's not that heavy considering the alternative of a flat, broken down light weight tent in high winds and driving rains. If going to Kodiak it's what I'd be packing.

23-Jan-17
Well, that's the thing. Kodiak is the big wrench in the gears. I already have a nice spike tent that I've used in Kodiak-type winds. I was hoping for something lighter as it'll be used in a lot nicer weather as well. Unfortunately, August in Kodiak still has the potential for a $#!+ storm so I was hoping someone had used the Ultra Star in some bad winds and had insight on that. In the video on the website, he says that they tested it in some pretty gnarly winds in BC and it did great so I was hoping to see if anyone had a similar experience.

I'll only really need a Soulo every 2 years and didn't really want to buy two tents.

23-Jan-17
Ike, you sure do go outta your way to compliment yourself. :^)

23-Jan-17
I don't know what you mean Justin, but I'll take your word for it :)

23-Jan-17
I used the 2 person version in Colorado 2015. First night had a thunderstorm with really bad winds & lightning. The tent held up very well. The winds uprooted a tree way to close that i would have liked. PM me if you need more info.

24-Jan-17
My friend's 1P seemed solid in the wind, and it was really windy when we were out there, just be sure to guy it out really well with all the stakes. He had no leaks, just condensation he couldn't avoid touching. The outside wall leans in pretty far. I'd hate to be stuck in it during a big storm for a day or two, that's for sure.

24-Jan-17
That would not be my tent of choice for Kodiak. No way. For one, it's too small and you'll likely be holed up for a day or two while you're there. For two, I'd want something a bit stronger. You say you've been in similar wind of that on Kodiak but until you've been there during a real "blow" it's hard to relate. I'd look into a Hilleburg. Either the Nallo GT or any of the others.

Good luck!

24-Jan-17
I've not used Kuiu. I have spent considerable time in various models of Hilleberg in Alaska. As Nick points out, in AK (specifically Kodiak) one may have to hunker down inside a tent for a day or more (heck, even a week!). Try keeping your gear out of the weather and yourself comfortable and dry in a 1P tent for more than a night.

Kodiak is definitely not the place to try to shave a pound or two from your sleeping system. There are many brands of tents, and many new kids on the block, but Hilleberg has been the premier tent for a long time for a reason.

24-Jan-17
Well, damn. Looks like I have to buy 2 tents. :)

To clarify, this won't be base camp for Kodiak. It'll be a spike tent. Still, I guess the consensus is "no" on the KUIU 1P working. I still think I'll buy the tent because I think it'll be a good option for other hunting in the lower 48.

I really didn't want to deal with the expense and weight of a Hilleberg but I guess I'd be stupid to ignore the consensus from this crowd.

25-Jan-17
I'd feel completely comfortable in the Kuiu Storm Star 2p on Kodiak. Spent a few weeks in one this fall, including on Kodiak in October. I'd never DREAM of it being my only tent, but I will be taking it again as a spike tent/gear tent for main camp. Well designed, love how you can pitch them dry, solid materials, and extremely durable from what I have seen. Kodiak can throw storms at you that will shred dang near any tent, you can't expect to stay comfortable in storms like that, just survive. Bomb Shelters boast about being rated up to 100+mph winds, I weathered a storm over outside of Dillingham that bent one of the arms of the frame.

For safety you will do fine, but for comfort I'd be sure to plan my trip around a bigger camp. You are almost guaranteed to have tent days on a trip to Kodiak. You want to have some space to stretch out, play cards, etc.

• Sitka Gear