bigswivle 08-Feb-17
X-Master 08-Feb-17
Bowfreak 08-Feb-17
Barry Wensel 08-Feb-17
Bowfreak 09-Feb-17
Joey Ward 09-Feb-17
24-Jan-17

jf's Link
I'm looking ahead to this coming deer season, and I need a 20+ft ladder stand. I'm looking at the Guide Gear 21' Premium Ladder Tree Stand http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-21-premium-ladder-tree-stand?a=650788 as well as the Millennium L100 21ft Single Ladder tree stand. http://millenniumstands.com/products/ladders/l100-21ft-single-ladder/ Does anyone have any experience with either of these stands? From reviews I've read on line, the Gear Guide stand is a well built stand with a crappy paint job. The Millennium is powder coated (I think) but a bit pricey. I'm also interested in others you might suggest. Thanks!! Jeff

24-Jan-17
Guide gear stands are good, but I would spray it with rustolem. I have several that have 5+ years on them and have been up year round. The ones that where painted show little signs of rust compared to the one I didn't

24-Jan-17
Thanks for the reply SB. Did you strip the paint that came on the stand before spraying with Rustolem or did you just spray over the top of the paint that came on the stand?

24-Jan-17
I like the two man ladders or tripods. More room, especially more standing room.

25-Jan-17
I assembled the top section and just painted it and the other ladder sections. No stripping or sanding. That rustolem seems to stick to anything. Even the ladder rungs are holding up. During the off season I'll bring a rattle can and touch up any spots that I see

25-Jan-17
I've got 3 of Gear Guide you mentioned. I've had 'em in the woods for close to 10 years. No issues, that I've noticed. And I check them closely each year. Never painted them and they show little to no rust.

I don't use the front bar. I remove the seat cushions and store at the end of each season. I also remove and store the ratchet strap attachments.

They ARE heavy. You most likely won't move them by yourself. And you'll need help standing them up against a tree.

But all in all, good stands for spots where you can leave them.

25-Jan-17
jf, I had one of those exact guide gear stands and it lasted for 3 seasons. Then it got extremely creaky and popped when shifting weight, it got to the point where I had to take it down and throw it away. If you are ok with 3 seasons, cool. if not I would opt for a more expensive solid stand.

25-Jan-17
I really like the API Ultra-Steel Extreme 20' Ladder stand. Bass Pro sells them. They are nice and roomy and very comfortable. With a removable thick padded seat / backrest. I leave the stands up all year, just remove the cushion / backrest.

25-Jan-17
How tall is the 2 man summit? it isn't listed on the specs on their website.

27-Jan-17
Candor, I have the 1.5man summit ladderstands and they are so heavy it takes two guys to move them. There are a few engineering flaws with the 1.5man stands: 1. the shooting rail is too low, 2. the stand doesn't have a support bar for the ladder and it causes the ladder to bow in or out. 3. the ladder needs a height adjuster and support platform on the ground so the fronts of the platforms dont tip forward. It's so heavy the ladder sinks in the mud and the design causes the platform to aggressively lean forward. These stands are 15 feet tall to the seat.

27-Jan-17

BagginBigguns's Link
Pat, the single Vine is listed as 14.5' to the platform. How are you getting 22'? Adding a section of ladder?

27-Jan-17
I have one season on the millenium L100 ladder stand. Like all of the millenium stands, its very comfortable. It will last many seasons and it's easy to sit all day. It's heavy and a bit of a bear to put up by yourself. In truth, I probably shouldn't.

The only problem is the L100s platform is very small. I am planning to get another millenium ladder and will go with L110. I have three other millenium hang on stands.

28-Jan-17
The Summit Vine is $299 free shipping via my Amazon Prime acct.

97 lbs though-----

Good luck, Robb

28-Jan-17
You may want to look into the Field& Stream / Dick's Comfort Zone Lookout Deluxe if you want or need multiple stands at a decent price. The powder coat finish is about as good as I've seen on any of the ladder stands out there. They are 15' but they have a 5' ladder section extension you can purchase for them. I have 3 of them and used them this past season and they a pretty comfortable. They also have fiber/plastic washers that make them quite quiet. Pretty tough to beat for the price and free shipping. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=99450356&clickid=body_rv_txt&bc=RecentView_2

28-Jan-17
I second Pat's Summit stand although I would have no use for any stand over 12-15 for this country. I have just about replaced all my hanging stands with ladders and love them. But I have found, they ALL need two people to put them up-preferably, two besides me. :)

28-Jan-17
+1 Bowriter

I need a buddy with a strong back to get me into my Wyo-wallow to set this bad boy up!

It will be here at my home on Tuesday--

Thanks Pat for the link...

Good luck, Robb

28-Jan-17
Robb,

Please let me know what you think when you get it and what the height is. I think they look good and would like to try but I really like keeping my stands above the 20' mark. The millenniums are nice but like the looks of these.

Thanks and stay safe.

John

29-Jan-17
No problem John.

Of course there is like 4-5ft of snow where I will set it up in Wyo so it maybe a while! haha

Good luck, Robb

29-Jan-17
Forgot about that. We are still having a mild winter and we are 5 months into our 8 month long dear season. I am still in and out of My tress stands three to four times a week. Good luck in the draw Rob.

07-Feb-17
X-Master, thanks for the post. I have 2 of F&S Lookout 15' ladder stands (not the Deluxe) http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-lookout-15-ladder-stand-16fnsafslktxxxxxxtsb/16fnsafslktxxxxxxtsb?recid=Product_PageElement_product_rr_1_2306_&rrec=true that I've hunted from since '08 with the 5' extensions that you mentioned. I've been quite happy with them. I LOVE the removable section. No question that no one is hunting my stand when I'm not there. I bought them at the local Dick's but hadn't seen them in the past few years. I followed your link and saw my old stand in a related link. I'm going to roll with what I know and have been happy. I wouldn't have found it without your post. Thanks again!

08-Feb-17
Good for you jf

Be safe and enjoy

Good luck, Robb

08-Feb-17
I like my 20' millenniums

08-Feb-17
You're welcome Jf, The only reason I prefer the deluxe model is that the seat flips up and the larger platform goes the whole way back to the tree and it give you another point to ratchet strap it to the tree which makes it that much sturdier and safer. The flip up seat allows you to get back in close to the tree which reduces the chances of being busted? At any rate I'm glad to be of assistance. Good Luck + they usually offer free shipping.

08-Feb-17
I have one of the Deluxe models and it works great. It is actually the perfect height for this one location where a taller stand wouldn't work. I plan on buying 2 more of the Deluxe models and one of the standard models. The standard model is only $10 more than the 5' extra ladder section. So....you can have (2) 20' to the seat stands for about $220.

08-Feb-17
Another vote for the F&S Comfort Zone Lookout Deluxe ladders from Dick's Sporting Goods. I don't know how they can make them for $79. and free S&H. Let me put it this way, we've got almost fifty (50) of them now and zero complaints. That's about all I hunt out of anymore. Read the reviews on their website. X-Master has all the positives covered above. Excellent ladder stands. BW

09-Feb-17
Just placed my order for the 3 stands above. (2) 20' to the seat for $220 is hard to beat. Plus these stands are super for the money.

09-Feb-17

Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Killed this one out of one of the Guide Gear 20'ers Saturday morning.

Take that!

he he he

:-)

• Sitka Gear