Scar Finga 26-Jan-17
JH 26-Jan-17
Woods Walker 26-Jan-17
Scar Finga 27-Jan-17
Woods Walker 27-Jan-17
Scar Finga 27-Jan-17
Bake 27-Jan-17
24-Jan-17
I've been around deer for most of my 65 years. But they STILL teach and amaze me. This most recent experience I had made once again realize how well they can pattern and read US.

I live on 5 acres in a rural area. I have oak/hardwood ridges to the north and west of my property and oak woods to the east. Deer are common.

The other day I stopped at the end of my 300' driveway. I got out of my truck like I do every day to check the mail that I have to cross the road for. It was a damp overcast day. I opened the box and as I was getting the mail I smelled a musky kind of odor.The breeze was coming from the north. I stopped what I was doing and looked at the abandoned house that's across from mine with the overgrown weeds and such to see if I could tell where the smell came from. Just then 4 deer jumped up from the beds they were in about 40 yards from where I stood and ran off.

I believe that since these deer probably know my routine better than I do, they were fine with me getting my mail. If I had just closed the box and walked back across the road to my truck they'd have probably just stayed bedded and watched me go about my business.

I think the reason they bolted like they did is because they knew that the wind was blowing their scent towards me. I reacted by looking their way like a predator would and that made them flee.

Now once again, these deer live literally side by side with us 24/7/365. They know when we wake up and what we made for dinner. They obviously have us patterned better than we even realize.

What this experience taught me again is that our BODY LANGUAGE has a lot to do with us spooking deer. My farmer friend and I were doing a deer drive on one of his farms during gun season a few years back. The other 3 hunters were posted up ahead of us. We were moving slow and stopping while watching each other so we weren't both moving at the same time. I saw my friend walk by a thicket and then as he was walking he mounted his gun and started to pivot. When he turned as far as he could he stopped and just then a big 10 pointed jumped from it's bed at about 30 yards and he killed it. He said he saw the buck bedded and figured that if he stopped the deer would run off before he could get ready for the shot. He was right. That deer was reading us.

24-Jan-17
No doubt. I once killed a nice mountain muley buck by doing the "hiker walk" and drawing my bow as I walked, pretending to not notice him. If I'd have been stalking with purpose and he spotted me I'm sure he would have bolted.

I've also walked close to deer, walked past them and around them by doing the "farmer walk" and not looking at them directly. I truly believe they can recognize our body language in many cases. I also believe they sense eye contact, especially at close range.

25-Jan-17
WW, Interesting story and I acknowledge that as we do, other animals can pattern our movements if accomplish on a mostly daily basis, but do you believe the deer "knew their scent was blowing towards me". Not really sure they understand the 'scent' thing like humans do. Someone correct me on this.

25-Jan-17
Am sure deer distinguish individuals from others... I can walk from the vehicle and garage into the house through the back door with deer standing a mere 21 paces away and not spook, yet have never seen a visitor do so...

I sometimes talk at them in a low soothing voice...

25-Jan-17
None of the 29 North America species knows us better than the Whitetail. We are a blessing and a curse to deer in our symbiotic relationship.

A major strategy of my deer hunting is figuring out what the other hunters are doing (pattering them) then adapting my activity.

Paul, every moment of every day a deer is evaluating scent much the same as your dog. The difference is the deer is a "prey" animal. In my experience I am convinced deer know where their scent is going. Most time, when beded, they face the way their wind is blowing (so they can use their eyes) since their nose covers them from upwind. Amazing creatures. C

25-Jan-17
Years ago, at a Wensel seminar, Gene related this story:

"A farmer in Canada walked to his barn in the dark every day. Deer would often be feeding near his barn. When the wind blew toward the deer, they stood in the dark and watched him without alarm. When he was downwind of the deer, they bolted away. Why?"

"Because when the deer could smell the farmer, they knew who it was and knew he wasn't a threat. When they couldn't smell him, they couldn't be sure who it was and whether a threat was present - so they left the scene!"

Deer are a mystery!

>>>>-------->

25-Jan-17
"....but do you believe the deer "knew their scent was blowing towards me".

I don't know for certain, but if I had to bet I'd say yes. Many times I've seen deer habitually bed where it's impossible to approach them with the wind in your favor because they could see you plain as day, and if you came from where they couldn't see you they'd be long gone by time you could because they'd smell you. I don't think they do this by chance. The deer in the situation I describe here I think were aware of their scent, and that may have made them a bit more alert. But what made them flee was when I reacted to it. I know there's no way to really know shy of setting up that same situation, which is impossible. But if I could, I'd not react like I did but just walk back across the road to my truck. I'l bet they'd have not spooked then.

25-Jan-17
And since they know whats for dinner they dont hang out in my back yard.... I get it now

25-Jan-17
When calling predators they will try to circle downwind and get scent. I've seen deer, coming into corn ,circle downwind to come in. If they use scent to that extent, I'd say it's safe to suppose, they know where their scent is going.

25-Jan-17
Deer have no ability to reason. What they do is based on instincts and those have been bred into them for thousands of years. I do agree that they can pattern us but it is not a conscious thought that leads them to do this. Scooby

25-Jan-17
I guess this means that we just have to continue watching, studying, and hunting them so we can learn more. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it!

25-Jan-17
Not just deer and not just scent, The quail population has been pretty horrible for about 8 years in AZ. When I bought my house there were about 20-25 quail around. I started feeding them daily and put out 2 water basins. I now have about 200 wild quail around my house... If anyone but me tries to feed them, they won't come in. I can call them with my voice and they will actually come up to and into my garage with me. It's pretty cool. They know who I am and they don't fear me. the rabbits are the same way about 5 or 6 that will come right up to me, but no one else. I have watched the coveys cover over 2 acres after I call them to come and feed.

God Bless,

Scar.

25-Jan-17
"Deer have no ability to reason. "

Don't know if it's "reason", but do believe they "learn" from experience who or what is harmful to them and what is not...

25-Jan-17
That same farmer friend I have drives his pickup everyday to feed cattle and do other chores. If the deer are in the field that he drives along they will just watch him go by. If I drive my truck they will run off as soon as I come into sight.

He also has coveralls that smell like cow/pig poop, and his smokes Winston's like a chimney. The first day of gun season he always walks up the ridge behind his house, sits on the ground in the open and shoots a deer. A NICE deer. Every year and wearing the same coveralls and puffing away. The only thing I can think of is that for 364 days out of a year he's no threat and sometimes a source of a meal. On day 365 he is. This obviously proves that deer don't have calendars......I think!

25-Jan-17
Deer ruminate for a living. ;)

25-Jan-17
They are conditioned, just like Pavlovs dog, still they cannot think. They react to a certain stimulus and that becomes a learned behavior. No thinking as we know it is involved. Scooby

25-Jan-17
So.....then what your saying is that they're basically politicians! ;-)

25-Jan-17
Not sure if thinking as we know it, but have seen them make plenty of decisions during deer drives...

Ever see a mature deer out in the open, and suddenly catch you presence from a distance... Notice their heads and watch them look different directions... They are deciding which way to run... Don't know it that is thinking, but that is making decisions....

25-Jan-17
Jaq - I call that move the "angle by." lol. used it successfully many times. I did it one time on a bedded jackrabbit where I angled past him always getting closer until my trail would have looked like a cinnamon bun always getting closer to the center, and I drew as I walked and then stopped for a half second and thumped him at 15 yards. It was funny because i called it before I did it and my buddy was just shaking his head.

If ever a person ends up with a wounded animal, I find that is where it shines the most as the wounded animal wants to stay hidden and believe you don't see them.

For the deer getting conditioned thing, there was that documentary about wild mule deer someone posted a link on here a while ago about that guy that becomes "part of the herd." Amazing documentary. That was conditioning to the nth degree. Super interesting.

25-Jan-17
I now think that Pavlov's dog shows that animals can be conditioned to respond a certain way. I think that humans can be conditioned much the same way. I am not sure that this means that deer can not think. I think that they can reason very well. I have seen my dog show what I would consider real emotion when our other dog died. The great minds use to think that the earth was flat. I doubt that animals are nothing but learned responses as we were once taught. IMO it is pretty arrogant for man to think that we are the only creatures that can think and reason.

25-Jan-17
Once when deer hunting long ago, I eased into the woods before good daylight to stand at a certain spot while day was breaking. I leaned up against a tree that I had used many times and just stood there for 20 minutes or more. Now the woods were dry and leaves aplenty, it was very quiet, so I could have heard something walking in the leaves. After I decided to slip on into the creek bottom, by habit, I straightened up and took a casual look behind me on both sides. Right side, nothing. Left side, a deer exploded out of her bed about thirty feet from me. I was looking right at her, but didn't see her until she bailed. I believe wholeheartedly that if I had never looked at her, she would have lain there and watched me walk away.

I definitely believe they are aware of where their scent is blowing , as well as a myriad of other things that we don't usually give them credit for. Many won't agree, but a mature whitetail , from my limited experience with other species, is one of the hardest animals to get within bow range on a regular basis.

25-Jan-17
I agree with the "hiker walk", "farmer walk", and "angle by". Deer are amazing critters and seem to know that if they remain perfectly still danger may walk right on by them. I think they are born with that instinct much like a fawn will remain perfectly still if you walk up on them. Other animals and birds that are preyed upon will do the same thing, like a rabbit or grouse. It's a survival instinct and cool to witness. "I sometimes talk to them in a low soothing voice".....Just curious Zbone....is that your Barry White tone of voice? Lol

25-Jan-17
Yeah,,, "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe"...8^)

But in all seriousness its true they make decisions, they decide where to feed if possibly harassed, or unharassed, what time to feed if possibly harassed, or unharassed, where to bed, etc.... That is not all instinct or natural behavior, its reasoning, or in other words, thinking...

25-Jan-17
My ex and my two young daughters were driving a small 4 acre hardwood woodlot , surrounded by crp type grass..I had my bow and was out in crp probably 350 yards..As they strolled thru the woods joking, laughing,just as you'd figure...They spotted a nice 8 just standing there..They walked directly at him ,he just stood there..At ,25 feet the ex stopped my daughter's, the oldest picked up a arm sized stick an nearly beaned him...He bolted..They entered crp..Two does stood as they passed 30 yards..Again till my daughter rushed over towards um..The just stood there...to this day I simply believe those deer were not scared due to the nature of the girls apparently seeming to be zero threat .... Donno...But what I do know is when I'm stalking thru the woods I could be carrying a damn Turkey feather and they'll bolt at 100 yards....

26-Jan-17
I have an underground electric fence around my house for my dog and when I go to the mailbox he will stand by the edge of his boundary and watch as I get the mail and wage his tail eager for my return. But if I stop half way back crouch down and slowly walk towards him he will immediately get nervous and go back towards the house and bark. When I stand up he comes wagging his tail back to me. I never conditioned him for this behavior he behaves the same everytime I have done it. I think animals can sense when something is a threat just by watching it's behavior.

26-Jan-17
JH,

So Several of you have written "they don't think" What is your backup for this? Animals are very intelligent, they don't have the same reasoning and feelings we do, but they do think and the y do reason... Hey they even dream! I trained "K-9" Dogs when I was a younger man and I have also trained several bird dogs...they might be trained, and they might be conditioned, but don't kid yourself into believing that they (Animals) don't "think" they are way smarter than most people would ever believe.

God Bless,

Scar.

26-Jan-17
I have no doubt animals think they have to think or every response to a stimulant would be exactly the same. In order to learn one has to think. But that doesn't mean they have feelings. An animal reacts only to survive. Which means staying away from what it deams a threat, nourishment, and cover.

That being said I do believe animals can evolve through time to develop more human like feelings by continued contact with our behavior. Only way to explain some behavior exhibited by K9s. By us feeding them and keeping them safe maybe it has excellerated the evolutionary process. I really have no idea but it sounds good.

26-Jan-17
I used to think that also Scar, but over a lifespan spent in and among dogs, horses and deer, I question a lot of it now. Or at least I've seen things on more than one occasion that I cannot explain.

I once saw a show on the Discovery Channel about Canadian wolves. It focused on this one pack and they were going after woodland caribou. The pack went into the area where they'd hunted caribou before to look for them and they found them. So far nothing unusual. But then they were in a small valley and the caribou were up ahead of the pack. Now get this......some of the pack WENT AROUND THE CARIBOU AND WAITED WHILE THE OTHERS MADE A "DRIVE".

Think about that and what it means. They had to be thinking into the future. Animals aren't supposed to be able to do that. They were also ORGANIZED in their hunt. Believe me, I've orchestrated deer drives with supposedly "HIGHER INTELLIGENCE" human beings that was like trying to organize and herd house cats! Getting 4 human standers to specific locations to maximize the effectiveness of a deer drive without physically leading them to the tree you want then to stand at is almost impossible, and yet these wolves did it like a Special Forces recon team.

Go figger!!!

27-Jan-17
WW,

I think we are saying the same thing... I have had K'9s figure out how to open kennels, track through and around things I didn't think they could, ourt smart eperimeter electric fences, and one of my bird dogs could open the cabinet I kept her treats in and would help herself... that takes reasoning and thought.

God Bless,

Scar.

27-Jan-17
I had a friend that had a lab that we used to hunt wild pheasants with. Much of the cover we hunted was borders and such, as the fields had already been picked and disced. That dog was an old hand at this, and he figured out that when we hunted a weedy ditch, he'd run up AHEAD of us in the field and then get in the ditch and work the birds BACK towards us.

Now that was "thinking", no matter how you define it. He wasn't taught this, he just started doing it after many, many hunts. Good Lord how I loved hunting with that dog!

27-Jan-17
Yep, I had an English Pointer that was dumb as a rock in most aspects... But she was one of the best bird dogs I have ever owned. She could figure out running coveys of quail like no tomorrow, split them up and then come back around and point singles. She was an insane pheasant dog as well. Cancer took her at 6 yrs. old. That was a very sad day.

God Bless,

Scar.

27-Jan-17
Absolutely animals can think, and they can have feelings too.

I've seen dogs and horses do too many things to think otherwise.

I had two different horses at different times that would mope around, and exhibit sadness when the cattle they were pastured with were moved to winter pasture. They didn't like being alone.

I had a roping horse that could be happy. He loved to chase cows. Loved to run them. Either under saddle or by himself in a pasture. You could see him having fun. You could feel his excitement under saddle while chasing.

Same with dogs. Ever had a lab quiver with excitement and whine in anticipation next to you while a flock of ducks was cupped and locked in? Tell me that's not happiness and excitement

Fear. . . for sure. A horse will get spooked by something stupid he's never seen before and get wide-eyed and his nostrils will flare and his heart will race! I've seen it too many times.

I've seen dogs and horses both work out simple problems they've never been confronted with. They have to "think" at some level to be able to do that.

• Sitka Gear