smarba 26-Jan-17
Julius K 27-Jan-17
Bowfreak 27-Jan-17
smarba 27-Jan-17
scentman 27-Jan-17
Bowfreak 27-Jan-17
writer 28-Jan-17
25-Jan-17
I lost my stake last spring and need to pick up a new one. The replacement only costs $5 but I can't bring myself to pay $15.95 shipping. I will buy a new DSD before I do that.

Anyway....has anyone ever modified their stake to add movement or used one of the Axian X stakes as a replacement?

25-Jan-17
Pretty much anything will work. Just get a 3' piece of 1/4" metal round at Home Depot or someplace and cut to your desired length. Problem solved for like $4.

25-Jan-17
I keep eying my wifes little flags she puts out. They have stakes that are about the same size. I probably need to go the Home Depot route to stay married.

25-Jan-17
You can buy rebar stakes at the lumber yard that are cut at different lengths.

25-Jan-17
Will one of those fiberglass reflective stakes that people put along the edges of their driveways work? I used them for my fence posts for our electric bear proof fencing on our Ak. moose hunt last fall and they worked really well for that. They're around $2.00 each if I remember correctly.

Or, if you have a broken fiberglass rod from a pop up blind. That might work as well.

25-Jan-17

25-Jan-17
x2 on old Arrows. That's all we use.

26-Jan-17
Would you feel better if the replacement stake was $19.95 with free shipping? LOL

Seriously, plenty of good ideas here and I'm certain you can come up with a suitable replacement for cheap. Good luck!

27-Jan-17
I use old arrows...

27-Jan-17
Smarba,

You have a business....How would your customers respond if you shipped an item that should cost $6-7 for $16?

To answer your question.....No.

27-Jan-17
Bowfreak: you misunderstood, I agree that the shipping cost versus the price of the item was ridiculous. I included LOL as I was teasing that as human nature, we would typically tend to feel better about it if the cost was higher and it was free shipping.

I'm not familiar with the stake apparatus for the Dakota, so can't comment whether it would be worth the $19.95 I provided as an example.

I too use old arrows for stakes: cheap, light, and pretty easy to come by.

27-Jan-17
I also use old arrows... just take care pushing into hard ground. The lawn flag stake is a great idea! When I'm ruffn it I'll just grab a long enough branch or twig.

27-Jan-17
I knew what you meant and I agree but it is similar to Cabela's shipping. Buy a small expensive item and pay $45 shipping. That's what pushed me away from Cabela's and Bass Pro. So many better options now.

28-Jan-17
Check with your goose hunting buddies. Some full bodies have stakes that will work. Some even have the hook that you can use to connect the elastic of your Dakota. I've used it when the ground is frozen on winter turkey hunts.

• Sitka Gear