Don K 31-Jan-17
PTArcher1 06-Feb-17
LKH 06-Feb-17
wifishkiller 06-Feb-17
Buglmin 06-Feb-17
LKH 06-Feb-17
wifishkiller 07-Feb-17
29-Jan-17
I'm finally getting out of the points game and planning a Unit 76 hunt this fall. I'm a non-res with 17 points so should have no trouble drawing. I believe I've read just about everything about Unit 76 on this site and on several others. I'm looking for some input from anyone who has hunted there since the 2013 fires. I'm aware of the physical demands of the unit. I'm not adverse to a backpack hunt, but prefer truck camping to remain more mobile. Also, I'm very interested in any names or information regarding packing services. Here I'm talking about elk packing, not packing me in. I will be planning a late July or early August scouting trip, but will likely only get one chance since I live in PA. As I said, I've been following posts on 76 for years. I'm hopeful there are other bowsiters who are willing to share some information with me. PM's are fine if you prefer keeping the information more private. Thanks so much, Lonnie

29-Jan-17
Lonnie, one of our guys from Pa hunted 76 last year, (Teeton), look him up, i'm sure he'll give you some info. Try posting on the Pa site. Where in Pa are you?

Bill V

29-Jan-17
76 can be a fun unit, if things are right. We've had a bad bad year with snow, and our concern is winter kill. Even the sheep are now way way down because of the snow fall we had early up high. Truck camping means dealing with other hunters that are also truck camping. Depending on what you're looking for, the Rio Grand Resivour might be your best bet. Access at Hunters Lake is also another option. Lots of guys go in from above Silverton.

29-Jan-17
Bill V, Thanks. I already sent Teeton a PM, awaiting what he has to say.

29-Jan-17
Buglmin, Thanks. I hear a lot about the areas around the Rio Grande Reservior. Was concerned that it would be crowded there given that's what you see most on message boards. I hope the winter kill is not significant. I'm kind of committed to this year as I'm tired of the CO points game. I could have drawn 76 7-8 years ago and have been holding out for 61 or the NW corner units. I've now come to the conclusion that is not going to happen. Do you live in that area?

Bill V, I live in Johnstown, PA.

29-Jan-17
A huge bull was killed two years ago around the cabins at the Reservior. He was huge for 76. Most drivecin areas will see guys, but it's a limited unit and a big unit. A lot of guys go in above Silverton cause the can take four wheelers way in there. A lot of the outfitters are putting camps in close to the boundary hunting the bulls that come out of 76.

30-Jan-17
I had with Ed (Teeton) last fall. Feel free to shoot me a pm. We had a great hunt. Unit 76 is some really nice country. You will enjoy yourself.

30-Jan-17
Any information regarding elk recovery packing services in Unit 76?

30-Jan-17
If your thinking of killing a bull and then calling in someone tompackmit out for you, you're going yo pay dearly. It's no easy task getting into 76 with horses. And whomever you call will make sure it's worth their time. Matt Poma is outfitting again, and has been taking guys into 76 for years. He's the one everyone calls when they draw a moose permit.

30-Jan-17
Any idea what the going rate is? I was expecting around $500.

30-Jan-17
As far as packing services, verify where they will access in the unit. I doubt that anyone is pulling a horse trailer west of the reservoir if they are coming from the east side.

30-Jan-17
Thanks Z, you are likely correct. I guess I'll need to nail down a few areas where I'll be hunting and discuss from there.

31-Jan-17
The one person I asked for information on said his 2017 prices start at 650.00

31-Jan-17
Don, How are you going about finding a packer? Calling all the local outfitters in the area?

31-Jan-17
I used Google, found who operates in 76 and offers game packing and sent a email. The one person that I sent a message to replied. He has a whole list of provisions, shoot me a PM and I can get them to you if your interested.

06-Feb-17
thanks for the info Don K

06-Feb-17
I've spoken to the fellow DonK mentioned. He seemed very willing to work with me and since I won't be going until 2018 I have time to research others. I'm looking at a drop or semi guided. I don't want to leave my kids too much money so this seemed a good way to get rid of some.

06-Feb-17
I'll be in there this year as well. Hunted it a few times with friends and once with my tag. I was to picky for what the unit actually has. That said it's a fun hunt, but the amount of points it takes and for what's typically shot it gets way more hype then it deserves.

06-Feb-17
That's what I've been saying for years Adam. But guys still believe the stories of 350" bulls in every basin bugling their heads off all day long. Its a tough unit, and to pass up a 300" bull will leave you disappointed later..

06-Feb-17
I have no illusions about monster bulls. The fellow I mentioned above was quite honest about not having big bulls and I really don't care. I just want to have a long, fun hunt. I shot the biggest bull of my life on the 1st day of 3 weeks allowed and was really disappointed not to be able to hunt more.

I'd be happy to be in there 2 weeks+ and kill a rag horn, especially if it was near a trail.

07-Feb-17
Bring a fly rod or a tenkara! That's the only reason I'm hunting it. Elk hunt in the AM and PM and flyfish all day!

I can't recall many elk in that unit by a trail/road. Finding elk isn't a problem though

• Sitka Gear