Jaquomo 30-Jan-17
Bowfreak 30-Jan-17
wyobullshooter 30-Jan-17
WapitiBob 30-Jan-17
Charlie Rehor 01-Feb-17
LKH 01-Feb-17
BULELK1 02-Feb-17
29-Jan-17
Hi Guys! We have a party of 3 hunters. We want to apply for Type 1 even though we dont have enough points hoping for the RANDON DRAW tag. ( Somebodies gonna get it). If we dont get lucky we want to apply for reduced price cow calf. This area still only has 50% draw chance on cow tags. I have 4 elk points that I do not want to risk on a cow calf permit so I have the most to lose. Is there a way to do what Im trying to do? Will call WGFD Monday but thought I would first ask BOWSITE dudes cause you almost always have the answer

Sincerely Jeff

29-Jan-17
The reduced price tags, type 6/7 are in a different draw and cannot be applied for with a full price type 1/2 tag. If you want a 2nd choice cow tag and are applying for a type 1 tag as 1st choice, your 2nd choice needs to be a type 4/5 antlerless tag (these are full price).

You can also apply 1st choice only for the type1, no other choices, then apply for a type 6/7 reduced price tag in that draw. Your type 1, 1st choice and hunt code, will go thru the PP Draw, then the Random Draw so you could draw there. Doubtful, but you could end up with a bull tag and a reduced price cow tag.

29-Jan-17
First I wanted to say that I like your handle!!! Second is that WapitiBob knows how WY works, so you can end the thread here. Highly unlikely you'll draw the random, but I'm also crossing my fingers since I won't have enough points to draw my unit as well. Good luck.

DJ

29-Jan-17
Thanks WB. I was afraid of that. Dont really want to spend the money on BOTH tags although it would be a good problem to have!

30-Jan-17
they are actually separate draws and you can put in for both.

I just put in for a full price type 1 and ALSO put in for a reduced price type 6.

30-Jan-17
Ha! "Straightshooter" ,at first glance i thought i double posted!!. Thanks everyone and good luck on the draw. ss

30-Jan-17
When you get to checkout there is a box to check if you do not want both tags.

It reads something like ---check this box if you do not want your RP cow/calf tag if you draw your full price tag---.....something like that it says..

Good luck, Robb

30-Jan-17
Some day I hope to succeed at figuring out the Wyoming regs. Seems so confusing. What's a good way to learn? Get a full copy of regs? Any help appreciated.

PS: Just look at the title of this thread. I want to learn this because as difficult a maze created it may produce some fine tags:)

30-Jan-17
Charlie,

I have a good friend in WY and I have asked him a million questions. I have also leaned on Bob a few times too. I still don't feel 100% comfortable with WY regs but I am more comfortable with WY than any other western state.

30-Jan-17
It seems there is an "ah ha!" moment for Wyoming then everything gets pretty simple. I only hunt Wyoming so maybe that's the reason.

Once you realize the reduced price draw is completely separate from the random/preference point draw then things get clearer.

30-Jan-17
Charlie, the best place to learn is on the Wyo G&F website. It's fairly easy to navigate and find answers to your questions. Once you learn where to look it's not as intimidating as it first appears.

For elk, there are two main categories for the draw, special and regular. The special costs nearly double and increases the chance of drawing in MOST cases. Be careful because there have been times it can actually reduce your chance.

For both the special and regular draw, there is the preference point (PP) draw, followed by the random draw. In the PP draw, the number of preference points you have will determine whether you draw or not. All unsuccessful PP draw participants will automatically be entered into the random draw. PP's are NOT used for the random draw, everyone has the same chance regardless of PP's.

The reduced price cow/calf license (Type 6/7) is another completely independent draw that's conducted after the other draws. You can apply for a type 6/7 on the same application form as the other draws There's only one drawing (regular) for the Type 6/7 licenses...no special draw. And, as with the random draw for the other types, PP's are not used, strictly random.

Edit: WB is correct. I misread it and confused myself.

30-Jan-17
I applied for WY this year for what I believe is an elk general tag (I was sort of confused too). I have two PPs but nowhere in the application process did it ask if I have PPs. I'm assuming this will be somehow indexed to my Sportsman number at some point?

30-Jan-17
Lou,

I "think" that is how it works. :)

30-Jan-17
Lou, your PP's are in the system, so you're good to go...unless you aren't. ;-)

30-Jan-17
The withdrawl option for the type 6/7 tag, is to withdraw if you "ARE NOT DRAWN" for the full price tag.

There is no provision to withdraw the type 6/7 if you draw a full price tag. The withdrawl Block is a carry over from the Antelope Draw, where you can opt out of the doe/fawn draw if you don't draw a Buck tag.

"Reduced price cow/calf elk applications offer the option to be automatically withdrawn if a full price elk license is not drawn. This application is currently set to go through the draw regardless of whether a full price elk license is drawn. You may change this option by pressing the button below. "

01-Feb-17
Thanks for your help guys. Randy Newberg also PM'd me with a 9 minute video he put together about how the draw works in Wyoming! Highly recommended. Think I'm getting comfortable with the basics of how it works. Thanks again! C

01-Feb-17
Well, it's over now. What is the expected draw release date?

02-Feb-17
It seems like I find out right before my B-Day on Feb 27th.....

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear