Montana Ranches 03-Feb-17
TD 04-Feb-17
killinstuff 04-Feb-17
Z Barebow 04-Feb-17
Rocky D 04-Feb-17
Katahdin 04-Feb-17
Bill Obeid 04-Feb-17
30-Jan-17
What's your favorite brand and flavor of mountain house, alpine aire food, etc? I know a lot of people eat the bung hole sandwiches or homemade stuff but I'm looking specifically for the tastiest premade food packets.

30-Jan-17
Mountain house pasta's and the breakfast one's aren't bad but I would go to Wal mart and buy a few to try out before I went. Some effect me different than others.

30-Jan-17
Mountain House beef stroganoff is my favorite.

30-Jan-17
I like the Mountain House Spaghetti and the Eggs with Bacon.

30-Jan-17
I agree with Okiej but sometimes eating them in your kitchen is not a fair evaluation when compared to the mountains when you are really hungry. I have found if they are acceptable at home they will work in the field. The high salt content doesn't seem to bother me in the field as much as trying them at home.

30-Jan-17
Bring some tortilla wraps and throw the MH breakfast skillet in a wrap. Oh my goodness, what a new favorite. Had it for the first time this year. Another steady eddy is the MH rice and chicken.

30-Jan-17
Solid advice okie, I hadn't considered eating several at home. I don't know what my wife will say when I tell her we are having mountain house tonight. She loves to cook supper, maybe I should have them for lunch.

30-Jan-17
I like MH, but I plan on trying Heather's Choice this year. Less sodium and a little better macro content.

30-Jan-17
Mountain House Chicken Ala King, I could probably eat that one for 10 days straight if I had to.

But, I usually mix it up (Chili Mac, Turkey Tetrazzini, Lasagna, are some of the others I can "tolerate").

Best of Luck, Jeff

30-Jan-17
On last years elk hunt, my son & I had Mountin House and survived. Our hunting partners had Backpackers Pantry and raved about some of the meals. They said they could eat them at home for dinner they were so good!

Guess what my son & I will have next time?

>>>>-------->

30-Jan-17
Mountain house is my favorite so far I haven't had one I didn't like yet. But I usually shy away from non bland meals haha. They're blue berries and granola is a great breakfast or snack.

30-Jan-17
Curvebow, any suggestions on which flavor? It looks nearly twice the price of MH too?

30-Jan-17
Mountain House chicken breast and mashed potatoes is probably at the top for me. The "new" Mountain House biscuits and gravy for breakfast is good too.

30-Jan-17
Heathers choice also appears to be double the price of mh. I'm sorry but the only way I'm paying 15$ for 500 calories is if it's brought to me cooked medium rare with a Cesar salad, baked potato, and a roll. MH for 7-8$ will have to do.

30-Jan-17
I've had backpacker's pantry and prefer MH. As others say - try them at home. I always do, I also keep a journal and rate them on a scale of 1-10 so that I'm not stuck eating a couple of those ever again!

30-Jan-17
MH turkey tetrazzini is good. Sweet and Sour Pork is my favorite.

30-Jan-17
MH Turkey Tetrazzini

30-Jan-17
MH Sweet and Sour Pork. I could eat that at home.... (Well, if the SHTF, anyway...)

Speaking of SHTF, we have a couple of the Augasen Farms 30 day emergency food supplies that I figure I could stretch into twice that long by killing and catching creatures nearby. I figure that stuff is probably marginally edible, but if an electromagnetic pulse, bioterror or cyber attack strikes, it will be better than eating tree bark or democrats.

30-Jan-17
Mountain House leaves me unquenchably thirsty after three straight days on it. I'd welcome an alternative with lower sodium. But of the MH varieties I've tried, I like the Stroganoff best.

30-Jan-17
Have had a couple different brands but seem to always go back to MH. That and we buy it where we can when getting supplies, first stop from the airport. MH is just so much more available unless an REI or something is real handy. MH strokinoff is my favorite too. Several of them are good, just a matter or taste. Others I don't care for that many would probably like.... chili mac, not a fan, spanish rice I think and a couple others that have bell peppers. Just not to my taste. The chicken ones are ok, but make sure it's WELL rehydrated..... oh.... and that lil packet inside is not a flavor packet....

We've quit bread or bagels and have just gone tortilla wraps. Works with most anything you can scrape up. Or scrape off..... Keeps well and fairly indestructible. Add in some foil packets of tuna or chicken (oil packed if possible) , some pre-cooked bacon, salami, etc. along with packets of mayonnaise (don't need refrigeration). Fats, grease, oils are your friend. Saimen noodles are cheap lightweight fillers to mix in.

I think my very favorite is pretty much anything the judo point whacks..... grouse is pretty common, or a rabbit, squirrel, etc. (check your game laws.... of course....) Will be packing some Tenkara gear for some fishing if we get any downtime/opportunity. Always have some tin foil, oil, seasoning in the cook kit.

A good friend turned us on to protein powder in a zip lock bag with a straw for breakfast. Fast, easy. Add some powered milk if ya want it a bit creamier. My friend adds granola or something, but I'm not a big granola fan.

30-Jan-17
Add a couple scoops of milk chocolate Instant Breakfast and a scoop of powdered milk to that bag o' whey and it makes it into a tasty energy shake. I drink one every day with lunch, even in base camp.

I like the MH Stroganoff too. Chili Mac? Yikes - you'd best be sleeping in that tent alone and have some toilet paper at the ready first thing in the morning! Definitely not for a backpacking date..

30-Jan-17
Yeah, Beef Stroganoff and Spanish Rice and Chicken Stew are pretty good from MH, but don't forget Leonardo da Fettucine from Alpine Aire.

Instant Mashed Potatoes from the grocery store

Pumpkin kernels mixed with sunflower seeds.

Dried apricots and sulfured apples.

I think the key is to bring a small spice kit. I buy some small plastic vials from a science supply place. I think everyone else buys them to package crack.

30-Jan-17
MH Lasagna is my favorite. After eating it on several sheep hunts on a fairly regular basis, I cooked one at home for my wife. I swear I was eating something completely different and she thought I was nuts.

30-Jan-17
I like MH and it does not really matter. Most times I am really hungry so I could care less. I agree about the beef strog. and the chili mac. I do prefer those and a great suggestion about throwing any of their egg and meat ones in a wrap with a little salsa or ketchup, they are really good. Scooby

30-Jan-17
One item I keep I'm my pack is E-Hydrate for the last several years, great supplement to recharge the system during the hunt. Been using it in battling a recent flu when couldn't eat solid food for 4 days to maintain my electrolytes.

30-Jan-17
One thing about the freeze dried food...... after a few days of it you really get into "I'm gonna kill somthin'...." mode.

jjs, we used something this year that was similar I think, Propel(?) powder in lil tubes. Helped I think with the electrolytes. Pretty much everything we get has to be at a major supermarket or wally world. Last trip Phoenix wally world had almost nothing as far as MH and had to go to a Cabelas.... yeah, had to.....But stuff like that added another hour or two out of the way when we were trying to get where we were going and get an evening hunt in.....

30-Jan-17
Try Pack-It Gourmet. You pre-order from their website, comparable prices to MH as I recall. My buddy and I love the breakfast smoothies for getting out of the tent early and hitting the trail. When we're packed in, we usually come back to camp when the elk bed down and we cook one of the more complete meals. "Ramen Rescue" is quick, easy, delish, good for dinner when you come dragging in after dark.

30-Jan-17
I ate dehydrated food 3 weeks this past fall. I experimented with 3 brands and MountainHouse was by far the best tasting. They have a very wide selection of dinners. Everybody's tastes are different , but my top three picks are Beef Stoganoff , Lasagna, Chicken Teriyaki.

The others mentioned above are pretty good too. I like MH Granola w Blueberries & Cream for breakfast.

Enjoy your hunt.

30-Jan-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I like Mtn House. Sweet Sour Pork is probably my fav. Lasagna is good too.

Adding some instant mashed potatoes to the MH Beef Stew is tasty stuff.

Here is a pic of a good combo and inexpensive too

30-Jan-17
Lasagna, chili mac, beef stroganoff were all good, but the chicken teriyaki was edible but our least favorite this past fall on a moose hunt. We ended up eating it for supper the last 2 nites because that's all we had left!

30-Jan-17
I like MH stroganoff. Any time I try the rice a few never get soft enough to eat. For breakfast it's fresh farm eggs. A little extra weight but well worth it. I've never had one break. I also take instant oatmeal and Swiss miss just for snacks

30-Jan-17
I like the MH chicken and rice as well as the stroganoff. Tuna packs mayo and tortilla's for lunch. Baby bells pack easy, are tasty and keep well too. I finish every dinner with a chocolate snack pack as a luxury treat.

30-Jan-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I also supplement my MH meals with APack MREs.

They come with a variety of stuff, self heating warmer for the entree, crackers and peanut butter, and a big ol cookie and other goodies

I plan for one APack and one MH per day

30-Jan-17
The entrees in those APack and other self heating meals look like something my dog threw up! They may taste great, but I can't make myself eat dog puke...

30-Jan-17
MH Turkey Tetrazinni and rib meat/chicken are my favorites. The beef strogonoff, spaghetti/meat sauce, and lasagna/meat sauce do unspeakable things to my bowels...

30-Jan-17
I agree Lou. They don't taste great. Maybe not even 'good' but they do what intended and sure make that 'after hunt' burger and beer taste like filet mignon.

30-Jan-17
MH Spaghetti is my favorite. I also like the stew with instant potatoes. None of it is desirable but it does make a turd.

30-Jan-17
Snickers

30-Jan-17
" but it does make a turd"

sometimes it makes a cork plug......

31-Jan-17
"" but it does make a turd"

sometimes it makes a cork plug...... "

Really?? For me MH causes some fairly violent explosions. Always seems to come on fairly instantaneously at some point in the morning. Seems like from the time I think something might be cooking to "Get ready to unload" time is about 24 seconds.

31-Jan-17
lol maybe if a guy mixes a few of these in a week,for a month before hunting, the stomach will adjust.

31-Jan-17
Link Woodward wally world has their MH @ $4.82 and Academy in Enid had the Pocket Rocket marked down to $19

31-Jan-17
Pasta Primavera augmented with a 2.5 oz foil pack of Tuna is wonderful. I like Chicken Teriyaki, Chicken and Rice as well as Spaghetti all augmented with some mashed potatoes. Chili Mac is a lot better recently than I remember it from 30 years ago and I enjoy it now plus it really powers you up the hills. Some of the new Mexican flavored dishes look good too, but no experience.

I don't like cleaning up the spoon after you eat Lasagna nor do I like Beef Stroganoff very well.

31-Jan-17
Mountain house Spaghetti and Lasagna are favorites...besides the all night flatulence!

Good thing for one man tents...

Mark

31-Jan-17
MH Chicken Ala King MH Sweet and Sour Pork

31-Jan-17
I looked at the Pack-It Gourmet website and really like their concept. Some of those look great - especially the "cheeseburger". The price is comparable to MH too. Think I'm going to try some.

31-Jan-17
Thanks Okie I'll look in to the pr.

31-Jan-17
I have a few Pack It Gourmets in the mail..... will report back

31-Jan-17
Bunghole sandwiches and home made meal bars ;)

31-Jan-17
Interesting these Packit meals. Never seen them before. When Lou said "cheeseburger" my first thought was..... how the heck do you "rehydrate" a bun? Got it now....BYO wraps/bread. Neat concept. Price about the same, net weight.... calories maybe roughly higher depending on the wrap/bread.

Only thing is I'd likely order just a few as I'd have to fly with them. Let us know what you think when you guys try em.

31-Jan-17
"Favorite" doesn't really describe it, but I have an elecrolite product others have referred to as liquid sweat (what it tastes like) that keeps me from getting leg cramps - ever. Like to get busy with the dehydrator in the summer and dry farmer's market fruits and veggies - BIG upgrade on normal package soups and lunch variety. Love dried nuts. Very calorie dense and tasty. The day I figure out how to get fresh green leafies out at 7,000+ feet in the great beyond I will be a happy man. Any high-altitude ethno-botanists out there?

31-Jan-17
I've had it fresh it has to taste like manure dehydrated. ;)

31-Jan-17
"..... and nobody really likes kale....." LOL!

from a sports radio commercial.....

31-Jan-17
Fried brook trout and grouse hearts

31-Jan-17
spaghetti - 2 person split in half, add noodles only from ramen, carry a pack of parmesan cheese. oriental - 2 person split in half, add 4 oz of rice and a pack of thai sauce. noodle casserole - 2 person split in half, add a pack of ramen noodles.

31-Jan-17
MH biscuits n gravy and again MH biscuits and gravy for this pollock all day long!!! Once in a while the MH beef stroganoff!!

31-Jan-17
I love chili Mac but everyone in camp will hate when I eat it.

Ike this is your warning. Haha

31-Jan-17
I'm surprised to hear the majority seem to prefer MH. I think they do make a few good ones, but most I think are terrible. I think the Backpacker Pantry are better, but some feel otherwise. The Pack-it-gourmet is considerably better in my experience, but it does take a small amount of "cooking" to prepare them, it isn't the same as dumping boiling water in a bag and eating it 15 minutes later, so they take longer to make. Some of the meals require you to bring extra items too, so be aware of that, they're not all 100% pre-packaged, so read the directions ahead of time. The Pack-it-gourmet products are not really a good choice if water is scarce, because you'll end up with some dirty dishes (at least all the meals I've tried, you will). I have a few camps that this is an issue and don't bring them there; most times it's not a big deal.

01-Feb-17
Another vote for MH Turkey tetrazini and sweet and sour pork. Mmm,mmmm good....

01-Feb-17
Another vote for MH Beef Stroganoff.

Also, I agree with APauls, the new MH breakfast skillet wrapped in a tortilla is amazingly good!

01-Feb-17
I like making my own dehydrated meals! Not too much work and it's cheaper and healthier for you!

01-Feb-17
I really like the idahoan potatoes, I add a chicken packet and some gravy mix

01-Feb-17
WRT the Packits, " because you'll end up with some dirty dishes" Curious as to this, from their website it looks like a good many of them you would just spork them from the package to the wrap/bread and eat them? We've done much the same with MH? Eat the bowl/plate so to speak. The actual amount of water needed to rehydrate some of them seemed really low, a few called for only 2 or 4 oz if I read it right? They did take longer, the "hamburger" was 30 min. Others like the dumplings took more of a MH 12 oz of water.

Looking forward to more info and thoughts on this brand. The more I look the more of a following they seem to have.

01-Feb-17
Oh yeah, Idahoan potatoes always supplement dinner. They're like candy, except for the Applewood smoked flavor, YUK!

01-Feb-17
i browsed the pack it site a bit. not only do they sell the meals but all the ingredients to make them yourself. A great resource for a diy type!

01-Feb-17
Mountain House Chicken and Dumplings are really pretty good. Breakfast Skillet, Granola with Blueberries is good for breakfast. I hydrate the Granola with boiling water instead of cold water for a warm breakfast. Little packets of hot sauce or picante' sauce are a welcome addition to the Breakfast Skillet. I find MH meals are better when you add a little less water than the directions call for. Do try these at home before taking afield to get your likes and dislikes.

01-Feb-17
TD, it's been a few years since I used the Pack-it-Gourmet meals, so I don't recall the exact issue I had that precluded cooking in the bag. I think it was because the re-hydration times are a bit longer than MH or equal, so the food got cold before I could eat it so I heated it up in a pot. If you're more proficient/creative at bag cooking, you probably could do most of them in the bag.

That being said the meals were considerably better in my opinion and well worth it. I just wanted to point out that they take longer to prepare and some of them are multiple step processes, it's not just dump water in and eat in 15 minutes (at least the ones I tried). They are by no means difficult to prepare though. I think they're worth trying. Give the Italian Pesto Sauce a try, the Ramen Rescue is good and so is the Shepard's pie. I looked on their website and I think they change the menu occasionally or pared down what they offer, because when I used them they had a way larger selection.

I also like that they have all the condiments available in little packages, so you don't need to reduce yourself to stealing them from gas stations and various fast food restaurants.

01-Feb-17
Appreciate the info Ben. Yeah there does seem to be more prep with them, looks like a few come in separate packages. Some they recommend using cold water. And I saw they have a recommended "insulated" bag to help "cook" them and keep things warm. With a half hour wait time I'd imagine things might cool off.

02-Feb-17
Maybe it's cause of our age and slower pace, but we don't need the calorie load the young guy's and gals need, we eat the energy bars from MRE Star company and we mre style packages of dried fruit and I like the sugar cookies, also eat beef jerky and this year I think we will include pork jerky, usually a Mountain House for supper, we also take a bag of almonds, and usually some triscuits with hard salami first couple of days. Also like to have a few good energy bars, the Kind brand are our favorite. We are moving away from salami though, good calories but kind of heavy. Wife usually has a bag of the mini twixes and I like the Almond Mars bars.

02-Feb-17
Is there a good place to find MH on sale?

02-Feb-17
Online I buy at Safecastle.... sales weekly

02-Feb-17
Thanks Bill

02-Feb-17
tagged for later

03-Feb-17
Mike's not telling you his favorite SWF (secret weapon food) SPAM.

03-Feb-17
Don't be dis'n the SPAM, its way more macho than those sissy Dove dark chocolates you love so much. ;^)

03-Feb-17
Link, I've bought onsale at Wal Mart at end of season, and REI at their summer sale. You can buy MH in bulk online from various outlets. Bass Inc has 1.2 lb cans of Chili Mac for $19.95. I'd pay double that to watch someone eat the whole thing, then get a lawn chair and six pack to experience the aftermath (from a distance..)

And Mike, I, too have Spammed. Spam really helps those fake powdered "eggs" become closer to edible.

03-Feb-17

Montana Ranches's Link
My favorite is the Chili Mac and Cheese made by Mountain House! It is delicious. I prefer the pouches just because one serving never seems to be enough to fill me up. I always have one in my truck just in case I need a meal when I'm out looking at Montana hunting ranches for sale. It is the perfect meal because I can just break out me backpacking stove that I keep in my truck and heat some water up. Next thing ya know, bam! Chili Mac. Another super simple, but not exactly the healthiest meal ever, is Top Ramen. Also super simple and it ways next to nothing in your pack.

04-Feb-17
Spam is a local staple..... spam musubi..... block pressed rice and slice of spam all wrapped in seaweed..... mmmmm.... High fat, high calorie, high salt..... I've seen spam in foil packets too, not just cans.....

Used to eat a bunch of musubi when we were commercial bottom fishing at night..... rice was easy to puke up when it was rough....

04-Feb-17
I can't live on MH for to long. Not sure what they have in some of them but its best to keep Imodium handy. The chicken dumplings and chicken rice are fine and I'll have a few with me but my routine is to get a pizza the night before I hit the trail and eat leftover pizza while hiking in. Then tuna, soft tortillas, mayo most of the time. Quick and easy. Powder drink mixes too and few other homemade things. Honestly though I don't eat all that much compared to what some of the other guys do.

Now if they only made a good powdered beer!!!!

04-Feb-17
I haven't found any MH meal I don't like. Favorites are beef stroganoff, sweet and sour pork, and chicken and rice. Never had an issue polishing off a 2.5-3 serving pouch myself.

But I won't eat Chili Mac anymore. OK going down but horrible gas. I have your "weapon of mass destruction!

04-Feb-17
X2 backpackers pantry, I bought out local Walmart when my son and I packed on the Appalachian trail last summer. I think the bill was around $480 but still much cheaper than MH.

My favorite camp meal is Cincinnati Chille

04-Feb-17
Z barebow That's weapons of ass destruction

04-Feb-17
I just cooked up a bag of PackIt Gourmet. " chicken and dumpling ".

It requires more work than a mountain house meal for preparation. First, you need to empty the contents into a cooking bag and remove the desiccant. Then you need to add a broth stick before adding 12 ounces of boiling water. They prefer you use a cook-in-cozy to keep in heat for a 10 minute wait.

The results were underwhelming. After seasoning with salt , taste was much improved. It was basically chicken and noodles. It wasn't terrible , the serving was 16 ounces and the price was 8 dollars and change. Also the serving bag was narrow and deep which required a long spoon and made for difficult access.

This is the fourth alternative company I've tried vs. Mountainhouse. Alpenaire, Wise , and two Gourmet brands. I'm still a big Mountainhouse fan. I'd rank this PackIt Gourmet around where I'd rank my number five or sixth favorite Mountainhouse meal. But more negatives than positives. MH still the tastiest

• Sitka Gear