CurveBow 30-Jan-17
willliamtell 30-Jan-17
Charlie Rehor 30-Jan-17
Cheetah8799 30-Jan-17
sticksender 30-Jan-17
Jaquomo 30-Jan-17
Skip72 31-Jan-17
30-Jan-17
I have 45 gig worth of pictures. Family, hunting, traveling, etc. They are priceless to me. I have thousands of pictures of my kids, all my hunting, etc. Irreplaceable.

They're all on the cloud, but I don't get the cloud. I'd like to back up my pictures on something that I can actually touch, and keep a backup in my safety deposit box. I currently have them all backed up on USB flash drives. It's a pain the butt, because I've never found one that would hold over 32gig.

So what are some ideas that I could use and keep them all on one "thing" ???

30-Jan-17
A 64 GB flash drive or 2 for two copies? Pretty cheap too.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Backup-Flash-SDCZ40-064G-A11/dp/B001T9AT52

30-Jan-17
Time for a face/palm emoji on Bowsite? :)

That would work

30-Jan-17
a 1tb (or more)hard drive, bout as big as a wallet less than $100.00

30-Jan-17
I have over 95,000 photos comprising about 650 gig of data. I use two 1-terabyte external hard drives. All photos get saved to one of them. I backup the first drive using Sync Toy software (free from Microsoft). Any changes I make to drive #1 are "mirrored" on drive #2 when I manually run the Sync Toy program. I use Adobe Lightroom for basic photo editing, printing and organization.

I have nothing on the cloud.

Today, I'm sure that external drives are available in sizes of 2 or 5 TB. When I bought those drives, 1 TB was big!

This may be more than you're looking for, but at one time I was doing wedding photography and needed to have photos archived securely. There are even portable external drives so that you could keep one in your safe deposit box and do intermittent backups say monthly. Have two and one kept offsite is a good idea.

>>>>-------->

30-Jan-17
What about dealing software and hardware upgrades in accessing archival storage? For example, compression software will be far different in 10 years. Personal (and other) records disappearing because of data software and hardware incompatibility is one of the big under-reported problems with longterm digital storage. Where are your old digital photos today?

30-Jan-17
itshot and Curvebow have the solution. Amazing capacity in a small pack you keep wherever you want. I have all my photos and all videos saved. I actually bought two so I have a "spare":) I have spares of everything I value! Cloud is a cloud to me. C

30-Jan-17
Flash drives are a good choice. Or external hard drives if you need more capacity. Keep at least one copy not at your home in case the house burns down or something...

30-Jan-17
USB Flash drives work well. I use older San Disk 128 Gb Cruzer Glide drives. They are the size of your thumb and nearly weightless. The price has dropped on these, and now they sell a 256 Gb unit for about 75.00.

30-Jan-17
I have a 1 TB drive from Best Buy that was around $60 on sale. Very easy to use, cheap insurance. I was in the high tech/cloud storage business - my company made storage for Hollywood, ESPN, etc.. - and I still don't trust anything I can't hold in my possession for primary storage. The cloud is definitely a good backup to the backup, though.

I also have a Western Digital "Mybook" which was fine, but a real PIA to deal with. The company actually charges you for basic tech support if you have a question. They can go to hell.

31-Jan-17
Does newer digital data degrade over time? A friend of mine was in IT for a major power company. As the archived data storage devices reached 5 years old, they were copied and replaced due to degradion of the magnetic signal after (I think) 7 years.

• Sitka Gear