CurveBow 31-Jan-17
Brian M. 31-Jan-17
PSUhoss 02-Feb-17
steve 02-Feb-17
Bullshooter 02-Feb-17
buc i 313 02-Feb-17
lawdy 02-Feb-17
30-Jan-17
Do you Leave them out all year or pull them down after the season is over?

I myself pull them down after the season is over. I like to check them over and make any repairs that need to be done. I store them in a shed way from the weather.

30-Jan-17
On private property only, I will not take down. If the stand has a chain as a the strap around the tree, I leave it. I will adjust it so the tree doesn't grow around it. If the strap is material and the straps on my climbing sticks definitely are material (not chain), I look them over and replace every the strap every few years. My concern is material deteroriating or the tree growth comprises the chain. On public, I use a climber.

Lastly, I always make sure my safety belt is connected prior to ever stepping on stand platform.

30-Jan-17
I leave mine out year round, all ladders. Each summer I check/replace the straps as necessary.

30-Jan-17
if they are far in the woods , yes .

30-Jan-17
Leave 'em out all year on my property. Ninteen of them. All ladderstands made with treated wood and galvanized carriage bolts. Platforms are 32" x 48", 2 x 6's bolted to cross supports. All are chained onto tree. HD chains, proof coil. Do a safety check every summer on each stand, repair/replace as necessary. Lotta work but being safe is worth it. All stands super solid when attached. Designed to flex in wind. No nails or screws. Don't worry at all about theft, each stand weighs near to 150 - 175 # & difficult to install, remove, and move. Height is 14 - 16', not real high but works for us on our hills & ridges. Have been using this design since '93. Super safe. No one (family or guests) ever injured or fell.

30-Jan-17
I leave them out till they get stolen. My climber I don't leave out.

30-Jan-17
had a nice2 person ladder stand and the cows decided it was a rub n post,,,,took a little do n but its fixed then i made a 2x6 fence around it ... I think cows bend stuff just to see if they can...... but yes its up all year

30-Jan-17
Some I pull and some I leave out. The ones I leave out, I try to loosen the straps for tree growth. I have several permanent stands (on private land that I own) built out of pressure treated 2x6 lumber that last a long time. I thoroughly check them over every year. Most all of these stands are only built after several years of observation from portable hang ons to be sure they are in the best spot for that area. Sucks building a permanent stand, then realizing you should be in a better spot 30 yds away.

30-Jan-17
I leave my ladders on private all year. Hang-ons I take down and move as needed for each upcoming season. My climber or any stand I take on public goes with me after each hunt, per current rules.

30-Jan-17
I and a bud have 56 stands we leave out all year. We go out each august and prepare the stand sites, like cut trails and shooting lanes as well as check all straps on each stand. We just started installing safety lines for each stand as well. Hope to have them all done in the next couple years. Scooby

30-Jan-17
I don't leave my lifelines out. All of those get taken down at the end of the season, but this year I started leaving a lighter cheaper line in its place so next season I can use it to pull my lifeline back up. Saves me climbing up with a linemans belt to re- install.

I think leaving them out all year is risky.

30-Jan-17
Nope. I take em' all down. Climbing sticks, lifelines, hangers - everything. I won't go up next season without checking straps,nuts / bolts and anything else that keeps me safe in the tree, and I enjoy doing that stuff off season.

30-Jan-17
Bulls hooter - you don't need to use a linemans belt to install the lifeline. Just slide the lifeline up the tree as you climb and cinch it down when you get to the top.

30-Jan-17
Takem all down. That way we can inspect straps.

30-Jan-17
I have about 30 that are out all year, chains no straps. I take my life lines in after season as sunlight will degrade them . Any hang on stands or sticks with straps get taken down.

30-Jan-17
PSUhoss,

Good point. That works unless you have branches to go around, then you need to have a lineman's belt, right?

30-Jan-17
Don't bank on just because it's a chain, it won't break. I've had stands with chains left on trees for years and I've seen the chains broken by the growth of the tree.

30-Jan-17
Dilly I hear ya.....Till there stolen!! Haaa..Damn scoob....56 stands is almost a full Time job cycling throughout the year,straps,ladders....Ect ..Damn. 56.....Damn.......lol

30-Jan-17
I'm pushing 60 stands myself, all are out year round. I usually replace all the bolts with galvanized and the cables on the hang on stands with galvanized chain. I start on June checking and replacing all straps. Lifelines come in at the end of the season and go back out prior to season opener.

31-Jan-17
Just out durning season for me. Only run about four alternating spots

31-Jan-17
We pulled all 26 stands last week. A few are crop rotation specific, but the majority are trees we hunt every year. Wish we could leave those up year round...but most utilize straps...and that's just not a good idea. Typically have to replace a strap or two every year due to squirrel damage as it is.

31-Jan-17
I have pulled all but one this year and was shocked at how much corrosion is on one of my stands and a couple of steps. Two thoughts....I see why Gorilla went out of business and I will gradually replace all of my stands and sticks with aluminum models. I bought steel because it was cheaper, strong and I wasn't concerned about saving weight. I didn't factor in the replacement cost for a stand rusting like a 77 GMC.

31-Jan-17
take in my ladder inspect and repaint

31-Jan-17
I have one ladder that we put up this year, that gets left out. This year, due to time, 3 chain on stands (private land) have been left out with their sticks. This is the second time in 30 years that this has happened. All will get looked over this winter and adjustments made for fall 2017. I have 12 chain on stands, 4 strap on stands and 3 climbers. Lately, climbers have been seeing less use, but I got a new, lighter one (like 14 pounds for stand & climber assembly) so next year I expect to be more mobile!

>>>>-------->

31-Jan-17
Pull mine every two years from when I put it up. I may move it multiple times during season. But, if it's in one spot for long, it comes down for maintenance every two. I check straps every time I use it. I use screw in steps, so if not unscrewed at end of year two, they will grow into the tree.

02-Feb-17
Bullshooter - What type of stand are you using?

I am trying to answer your questions, but am having trouble visualizing your scenario. You put a cheaper line up in the tree to pull up your Lifeline to avoid using a linemans belt? What are you using to stay tethered on the way up the tree to get to the cheap rope??

In response to your last post, you could use 2 lifelines in tandem to make sure that you are tethered at all times when navigating over branches. I do this when hanging a stand with sticks. Both don't need to be used the whole time, just when clipping from lifeline to lifeline to get above branches.

02-Feb-17
Me and my son have over 50 we leave them out ,were would we put them ? We check them before the season .

02-Feb-17
PSUHoss, sorry I wasn't clear. I have several types of hang ons, including a Millenium M100 with extra receivers. When I go to take my lifelines down for the season, I leave the cheap line in its place. It is one big loop, with its ends tied together at about eye level. Next season (assuming it is still there, and not chewed up) I will untie it, tie my lifeline loop to one end, pull the other end to pull the lifeline up and over a stout branch above where I hang the stand and down to where I stand. Then (with the lifeline around the trunk of the tree), I will pass the end of the lifeline through the lifeline loop and pull. Now the lifeline is back in place and I have not left the ground.

As to your second paragraph, that is how I do it, except I think you meant lineman's belts not lifelines.

Actually, I admit that sometimes I am lazy and just hook my lineman's belt to the climbing stick as I climb (before the lifeline is set) but I realize that is not very safe- if the stick fails or straps holding it fail, I would fall. Once at the top I put a tree strap or line around the tree and clip in. So much faster than swapping lineman belts at every branch.

02-Feb-17
No stands left out after the season.

This way I don't get upset over a thief (s) :^}

02-Feb-17
I don't use tree stands, but it is illegal here to leave tree stands out all year unless it is your own land. Tree stands and popup blinds are not allowed to be left out overnight on the fed land up here, and no cutting of brush or limbs allowed. On private land you need written permission to cut limbs or brush unless it is yours. Being a groundhunter up here is the no hassle way to go.

• Sitka Gear