Quinn @work 02-Feb-17
WV Mountaineer 02-Feb-17
oilcan 02-Feb-17
Boris the Blade 15-Feb-17
tradi-doerr 15-Feb-17
hunt forever 16-Feb-17
donnybowhunter 29-Apr-17
30-Jan-17
Hey all, My brother has enough points to draw the coveted archery elk tag for unit 61. I also have the good fortune of being in the area for work. I figured I'd take the year off elk archery because I'm not interested in hunting 62, and it's all about him this year. Turns out we've both got enough points to also hunt archery deer in 61, so we're thinking about it.

My main concern is that it may a little much, trying to fill 3 tags when he's burning 14 points on the elk hunt. What do y'all think?

30-Jan-17
Not sure if I would dedicate much time hunting 140-150 inch deer when the elk are bugling :)

Enjoy 61 for what it's known for

30-Jan-17
Prolly the right call, cnelk. I tend to try and make things as awesome as possible. Back in the day we used to hunt the combined rifle seasons, and we'd just hunt elk and shoot deer as they appeared. Little different when you're flinging twigs in the rut.

30-Jan-17
I know I would spend 80% of the time hunting elk, so if I were using up that many points, I would hunt deer with your this year, and scout for elk for next year. Too many points to use in one year. That many points deserves your complete attention

Also, that way you have two years of primo hunts and two years to enjoy it. If he burns them all up this year, what has he got to look foreward to next year??

30-Jan-17
Go elk hunting...I wouldn't mess with deer. By mid month you'll be having such a blast you won't care about anything except the bugling outside your tent or camper.

31-Jan-17
I would vote for txhunter's plan. Use the deer hunt to scout for elk the following year. (And don't forget to apply for another 2017 elk pp!)

31-Jan-17
Absolutely, Go Elk Hunting! Take the unneeded pressure off yourselves thinking you have to rush things to fill 3 tags. You don't want to have to settle for less because of time restraints! You had the patience to build points now use them wisely & work on the elk hunt. Just because it's a decent tag doesn't mean it's an easy hunt, sometimes they're the toughest! Good luck!

ElkNut1

31-Jan-17
I'm pretty sure the best deer hunting isn't where the best elk hunting is. You may find somewhere you can encounter both but in 10 days of elk hunting a few years ago I saw 1 buck.

31-Jan-17
If it were me, I'd be sure to have a Bear tag in my pocket, and pick up the deer tag since you are there doing this anyhow.

Some of the best elk/Deer or bears I've encountered bowhunting Colorado the past 33 years is whenever I don't have a tag for the animal I've encountered. Murphy's Law is suppose.

31-Jan-17
Yes good point...bear tag for sure. Saw bears everywhere.

31-Jan-17
I elk hunted 14 days and saw 3 mature bucks and I think only one pretty big one. I talked to a guy deer hunting and he was chasing some bigger ones. Im sure they overlap more in some parts but where we were chasing elk, that wasnt the case. A bear tag would be handy, especially if you have some kill sites.

31-Jan-17
I have been on at least 4 elk hunts in 61 over the years with friends and have personally only seen 1 good deer (180"). Luckily my buddy had a tag and killed it but it was just that- pure luck when it crosses the road in front of you and stops!

I would spend the time hunting elk! All the hunts we have passed on many bulls early in the season just because its so fun. The bigger bulls come out later in the hunt so get to know the areas and be ready when the shooter comes out.

I always get a bear tag. I have seen multiple bears on every hunt there. I have passed on a few little bears. I have 3 friends kill bears there including a 20 4/8" bear at 10yds last year! Just sit the gut pile after your brother tags his bull.

31-Jan-17
I wouldn't do it... elk hunting in 61 is too fun to be distracted by deer.

01-Feb-17
The above advice is spot on. I hunted elk there in 2010 and had a great elk hunt. I probably only saw 3 bucks in 11 days and the biggest being 135". I'm sure there's better areas for deer in the unit but not where we were hunting elk.

I would not go on that hunt without a bear tag though. Even though I think it was not the norm, I didn't see a single bear while I was elk hunting but there was sign everywhere and great bear habitat. If you sat a gut pile you would kill a bear if you weren't picky.

01-Feb-17

02-Feb-17
As a N.R. Do you need points to get a Bear tag for unit 61? I will be putting in for a Archery Elk tag next year with 22 points and wouldn't mind getting a Bear tag.

02-Feb-17
You can get an over the "counter with caps" bear tag for archery. They usually go on sale the 2nd Tuesday in July. As long as you are online immediately when they go on sale you'll get a tag. Over the counter with caps means they are over the counter/online until the quota is sold out. Some units go real quick.

02-Feb-17
Hey Boris, check your PM's man.

02-Feb-17
Thanks Quinn

15-Feb-17
Hey all, thanx for the advice! It turns out I'm back to the ol' drawing board cuz my brother decided to put another bun in the oven. The Mrs. will be none too pleased if he takes off to go hunting when she's about to pop. That being said, I'll be able to hunt muleys up there if I so choose. But I'll have to look into that. Five points for deer, I could definitely go somewhere a little more promising for a bruiser buck. On the other hand, I can take the opportunity to hunt muleys while listening to the bulls bugle and get some precious in-season scouting done. So many possibilities!

15-Feb-17
oilcan, if you want a bear tag, be on the ready to buy one in the first 10-minutes they go on sale or you may miss getting one.

16-Feb-17
I wouldn't waste my points on mule deer 61!!!! The units quality and numbers have gone way down!!!! There are better units to use your mule deer points on!!! Unless you can find some private ground in the farmland. Trust Me!!! Pm if we your like!!

29-Apr-17
with the amount of points to use on 61.. I would put all my effort into elk.. just my opinion

• Sitka Gear