Contributors to this thread:
APauls 31-Jan-17
t-roy 31-Jan-17
APauls 31-Jan-17
APauls 31-Jan-17
wildan 01-Feb-17
Bake 01-Feb-17
31-Jan-17
Just whipped out to pick up a trail cam I had in the bush since late October on Sunday morning before church. One of those nagging things I knew I needed to get done. With the winter being so bitterly cold at times, I was actually worried it might be broken. Seems like winter wreaks havoc on cams here for whatever reason. I guess they're not designed for -30 degrees. I think we only had one extended bad cold snap this winter, but still...

Anyways, I went to pick up my Spypoint Solar and not only was it still working flawlessly, but the internal battery was at 100%, and my 6 AA's were at 90%. How this cam works is it has a little solar panel on it that charges a lithium battery that is internal, and in case that were to draw down, there are 6AA's you can put in there that would normally get you almost a year battery life by themselves. I just use Costco AA's. I'm not affiliated with Spypoint at all, but for a camera to work in these cold conditions perfectly and to know without a doubt that you have a charge on your cam is a real cool deal for the $200 pricepoint. I hope more camera manufacturers adopt the solar bit as all it requires is ambient light to charge.

31-Jan-17
I read on Trailcampro's reviews, the biggest knock on them was blurry nighttime images. Was this an issue for you Adam? Other than that, they rated it very high.

31-Jan-17
Funny you mention that Troy. The nighttime images are not that crisp, but I put it on video and it was extremely crisp. (at least I think so)

Scroll to 8:38 in this video to see the video this camera captures. I had the cameras on two different scrapes. One is the solar camera, and one is the same camera without the solar panel.

For some reason the "URL Link" feature on bowsite is not working so I'll just past it here in the text body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndVjA37D9k

31-Jan-17

APauls's Link
Made the link work

01-Feb-17
I have had very good luck just using Lithium batteries in both the Bushnels and Brownings.Last six months easy and take thousands of video's.It gets very cold in Northern NY.

01-Feb-17
Thanks for the review. I'm very intrigued by this. I may have to pick one up before next year

• Sitka Gear