trkytrack 31-Jan-17
GaryB@Home 31-Jan-17
ElkNut1 31-Jan-17
elkmtngear 31-Jan-17
orionsbrother 31-Jan-17
TD 31-Jan-17
31-Jan-17
Here is the scenario:

Its the 20th of September and you get an InReach text [see below] from your buddy who is on a 10 day backcountry wilderness elk hunt with another guy.

"Its day 4 and things arent going well. Seeing a few elk but arent bugling much. Partner is an Ahole. Frustrated"

What is your reply to him? You have 160 characters per message. You can only send 2 messages.

31-Jan-17
1st message ( Hey Bro hang in there, assholes don't change and always smell but u know Hntg. Ur hunt can change in 5 minutes! Stay strong!)

2nd message (Dude that sucks! Serb is a big boy give him the adult talk, if it doesn't get any better just think about those two strippers we hired back in 88)

31-Jan-17
"Fart in his tent. If you play your cards right, tomorrow is your day."

All kidding aside, I'm not exactly sure what to say, but this past Sept, I was at the end of my hunt and pretty discouraged after some near opportunities and dad leaving early. I got a text from HUNTMAN that was very upbeat and encouraging and got me fired up. I extended my hunt 4 days and although I didn't arrow a bull, I located and hunted the biggest bull I've ever seen on the hoof and learned a ton about hunting mature elk and had a great time.

I don't know that the words were important, it was the upbeat and encouraging tone.

31-Jan-17
I don't know what to say Dude. Got the same message from your partner this morning.

31-Jan-17
Keep at it you know what you are doing. Life is too short to hunt with a holes.

31-Jan-17
1. to your partner: Tell me again why I agreed to hunt with you and also, why I shouldn't pack out and go off by myself. Have 6 days left. With effort we'll both still be alive. Remember, you don't have to apologize for things you don't say.

2. If the above doesn't work, take your gear, pack off by yourself and enjoy the rest of your trip. Quiet elk can still be killed, it just takes a lot more patience and stealth. Good luck.

31-Jan-17
1. At least you are in elk, adjust to stands on waterholes, wallows, and trails. focus on the hunt not on your partner. 2. Have a kumbaya meeting, frustrated does not equal success so stay focused on why you are there.

31-Jan-17
Didn't you know he was an a-hole before you went on the trip? Hunt hard and don't kill to big of an elk, cause your a-hole partner won't be much help. It's hunting and the animals aren't coroners ting, keep positive and hunt hard the rest of the trip and hope this change. This is one of those deals where the a-hole partner will kill a big six by six.

31-Jan-17
#1. Being positive wins every time. Pretty sure we all can be assholes when things go bad. Go to plan B? #2. Plan B? Relocate, wait out the rut, water holes, find cows. Who knows what happen here? Weather, pressure, pms..omg

31-Jan-17
How about,, grow the fu##' up snowflake...And get er done... Any man that does a 10 day back country hunt with a partner there not solid with can expect no more than surprises, disappointments,or the AHOLE title.....Or the best partner he ever had... Tough situation...Simply make the best of it.......period

31-Jan-17
1. "Life's short. Hunting season is even shorter. Do what you gotta do to be fair to yourself bro.".

I haven't got tons of experience hunting all over the place with a bunch of other guys but, the one thing I have found out is you find out a persons real character when you are in elk camp with them. When those big suckers start hitting the ground and, the work begins, some people just aren't mentally prepared or, unselfish enough to be a compatible partner unless it is all benefit to them. I swore 7 years ago if I didn't kill this one fellow hunter before we left, I'd never come back to Colorado with him again. I told this to his face. I told it in front of 3 other camp mates.

This was a guy I had grown up with. We'd all grown up together. I Introduced all of them but one to hunting 30 years ago. Played sports with them all. I thought he was a friend to us all. Since that trip, I have talked to him only once. My other hunting bud's have done the same. So, no you don't always know what kind of person someone is before going. God Bess

31-Jan-17
Drive Serb to the nearest airport and continue your hunt.

31-Jan-17
Sorry but unless your death is emanate don't be sending me stupid texts.

Go hunt and shut up! And see above text.

31-Jan-17
No advice but curious what the ahole texted to his buddy back home.

31-Jan-17
My text would say! -- "Bummer. Split up & hunt. Return evenings only. If not possible head back to base & split up & hunt from there." You have plenty of time!

ElkNut1

31-Jan-17
"Sorry Man. Tell the guy that you can increase odds by hunting separately. Then go do your thing. Meet up with him after dark each day and swap stories...wash, rinse, repeat" !

Best of Luck, Jeff

31-Jan-17
What elkmtngear said.

31-Jan-17
"no habla ingles......"

• Sitka Gear